Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Absolutely. Everyone else is going work as usual, if a 65 teacher is OK to look after a classroom of kids then I'm sure 22 healthy young men can kick a ball around in a field for 90 mins.

Don't be such a pussy.

Does that classroom full of kids meet up with a different group of kids for 90 minutes of physical contact, in different parts of the country, every weekend?

What would people prefer?

Delay however long

Cancel the season?

Table as it is?

Reset to August standings for next season?

Relegate west ham anyway just for a laugh?

Clearly cancel. Pool don't win the league, Leeds can't get promoted and neither can Pompey. On top of that next year's champions League and Europa spots are allocated randomly by a drawing of names from a hat..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Everyone else is going work as usual, if a 65 teacher is OK to look after a classroom of kids then I'm sure 22 healthy young men can kick a ball around in a field for 90 mins.

Don't be such a pussy.

If you saw the communication my snap dragon is getting, you would tone down the hard man act.

I guess at times like this people’s true colours come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be such a pussy.

From what little of the subject I know - I tend to agree entirely. I would have thought that fit healthy footballers are very low risk in term of their ability to fight the virus, everything I have heard points to elderly people, or those with underlying health issues, as being high risk. You cannot quarantine the country no matter how hard you try, how many people got on a bus, a train or a plane today - probably quite a few. Personally, kicking a ball about in an empty stadium would appear pretty low risk to me.

Does that classroom full of kids meet up with a different group of kids for 90 minutes of physical contact, in different parts of the country, every weekend?

No, but a 65 year teacher is with 30+ kids all day, 5 days a week and could die from it.

At worst a fit young footballer will get flu like symptoms for a bit.

No, but a 65 year teacher is with 30+ kids all day, 5 days a week and could die from it.

At worst a fit young footballer will get flu like symptoms for a bit.

That’s not the point, it’s about trying to prevent the spread of the virus. If one player tests positive, he can spread it to maybe 60-70 players, youth team players and non-playing staff. Times that by 92 FL clubs...

We live in an age where everyone is scared witless of being sued by somebody else so people make 'decisions' accordingly. Hence the PL have suspended matches for 3 weeks rather than close down for the rest of the season simply to avoid any possible legal liability for compensation for clubs and TV broadcasters through allegations of breach of contract. So the PL are being forced to play the long game as they absolutely know that things cannot and will not improve by April or May, or indeed June but feel the need to fall back on the old ploy of force majeure.

It is identical to what has just happened in Australia with the F1 GP, nobody willing to grasp the nettle until the 11th hour and 59 minutes when it became obvious that the event could not continue through the forced withdrawal of MaClaren which quite nicely got the promoters off the hook.

It looks almost a certainty that this season is over. Promotion and relegation should be set aside and everything started again afresh next year. Of course there will be aggrieved and relieved but there is no other solution that would be any fairer. Everyone surely can agree that Liverpool should be Champions whatever the local angst. I for one couldn't stomach another 25 years of 'victim' memorials.

From what little of the subject I know - I tend to agree entirely. I would have thought that fit healthy footballers are very low risk in term of their ability to fight the virus, everything I have heard points to elderly people, or those with underlying health issues, as being high risk. You cannot quarantine the country no matter how hard you try, how many people got on a bus, a train or a plane today - probably quite a few. Personally, kicking a ball about in an empty stadium would appear pretty low risk to me.

Fit healthy players are at very little risk, but they are very good at spreading the virus, and then spread it to their family, their friends and others, footballers have vulnerable family members as well. That's why playing in empty stadia does not work.

That’s not the point, it’s about trying to prevent the spread of the virus. If one player tests positive, he can spread it to maybe 60-70 players, youth team players and non-playing staff. Times that by 92 FL clubs...

It won't prevent the spread but it might delay it a bit.

We live in an age where everyone is scared witless of being sued by somebody else so people make 'decisions' accordingly. Hence the PL have suspended matches for 3 weeks rather than close down for the rest of the season simply to avoid any possible legal liability for compensation for clubs and TV broadcasters through allegations of breach of contract. So the PL are being forced to play the long game as they absolutely know that things cannot and will not improve by April or May, or indeed June but feel the need to fall back on the old ploy of force majeure.

It is identical to what has just happened in Australia with the F1 GP, nobody willing to grasp the nettle until the 11th hour and 59 minutes when it became obvious that the event could not continue through the forced withdrawal of MaClaren which quite nicely got the promoters off the hook.

It looks almost a certainty that this season is over. Promotion and relegation should be set aside and everything started again afresh next year. Of course there will be aggrieved and relieved but there is no other solution that would be any fairer. Everyone surely can agree that Liverpool should be Champions whatever the local angst. I for one couldn't stomach another 25 years of 'victim' memorials.

Cancel the season for me and on no account give Liverpool anything.

Just one thought... The FA Cup?

Exactly

There are 9 academy staff at Bournemouth self isolating & a parent of one of the kids has the virus. They’re thinking the kid could have been the conduit that passed the disease on without experiencing much in terms of symptoms (he’s got mild flu like symptoms).

That is the thing people just don’t want to get into their heads. The 25 fit men running around behind closed doors have mothers & fathers, grandparents, elderly aunts, neighbours. The quickest way to return to normal is to let it rip through the population & let healthy people get over it. However, more of our elderly and unhealthy people will die as a result of that. We’re trying to slow the spread down and push the peak to the hotter months, how is football continuing helping that? It’s not.

Exactly

There are 9 academy staff at Bournemouth self isolating & a parent of one of the kids has the virus. They’re thinking the kid could have been the conduit that passed the disease on without experiencing much in terms of symptoms (he’s got mild flu like symptoms).

That is the thing people just don’t want to get into their heads. The 25 fit men running around behind closed doors have mothers & fathers, grandparents, elderly aunts, neighbours. The quickest way to return to normal is to let it rip through the population & let healthy people get over it. However, more of our elderly and unhealthy people will die as a result of that. We’re trying to slow the spread down and push the peak to the hotter months, how is football continuing helping that? It’s not.

It doesn't help but in a population of nearly 70 million it makes bugger all difference.

More to the point will ST get compensated for the lost matches?

Knowing Saints they’ll tell us that the value of the missed matches will be taken off next seasons ST value, only way to prevent the inevitable huge drop in sales.

Fit healthy players are at very little risk, but they are very good at spreading the virus, and then spread it to their family, their friends and others, footballers have vulnerable family members as well. That's why playing in empty stadia does not work.

Why are players 'good at spreading the virus'. They are no better at it than anybody else, it can be caught from surfaces as well as breathing it in. It can exist on surfaces, supposedly for up to 72 hours. Two teams of staff and players in an empty stadium are much less vulnerable than 100 people working in a warehouse distribution centre, 100 people working in a hospital or 50 people working in an office or call centre. The point is there are lots of people who are still currently working in the vicinity of many other people in lots of different scenarios, all are at risk of catching or spreading the virus.

I totally understand the sense in not have fans at games - but playing them in empty stadiums is pretty low risk for the players as far as I am concerned.

Knowing Saints they’ll tell us that the value of the missed matches will be taken off next seasons ST value, only way to prevent the inevitable huge drop in sales.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. However, as I don't think I'll be renewing next season I thought I'd go down the route of claiming from my credit card provider as I've paid for something which hasn't been provided. Not fair on the bank I know but I'll let them argue with the club.

Cant see the season resuming to at last July ….. cancel all cup competitions next season, giving time to cram in the finish of this season & finish next
That's hardly fair. For teams like ours the cup competitions are the only chance (admittedly slim) of winning something or at least having a fun cup run not to mention lower leagues teams can really benefit from a cup run. I don't think any of the league's this season are yet, at least mathematically, a forgone conclusion. So just scrap the leagues now and start again next season, a fresh, cup competitions and all.

Cant see the season resuming to at last July …..

if that was the case they would have a huge decision to make in terms of cancelling this season altogether, freezing the tables as they currently stand or extending the season. They could probably extend it until mid June but any longer? They can’t delay the new season - IF the health situation is ok again - because that would impact the (probably) re-arranged Euros next summer.

Obviously the health issue is most important, nobody can argue that surely, but for the governing bodies it’s gonna be a nightmare when we can return to normality as to what action they take.

That's hardly fair. For teams like ours the cup competitions are the only chance (admittedly slim) of winning something or at least having a fun cup run not to mention lower leagues teams can really benefit from a cup run. I don't think any of the league's this season are yet, at least mathematically, a forgone conclusion. So just scrap the leagues now and start again next season, a fresh, cup competitions and all.

I suppose in principle they could conclude this season's FA Cup during the first three months of next season?

if that was the case they would have a huge decision to make in terms of cancelling this season altogether, freezing the tables as they currently stand or extending the season. They could probably extend it until mid June but any longer? They can’t delay the new season - IF the health situation is ok again - because that would impact the (probably) re-arranged Euros next summer.

Obviously the health issue is most important, nobody can argue that surely, but for the governing bodies it’s gonna be a nightmare when we can return to normality as to what action they take.

I think it's cancel or complete. Taking the current standings would cause problems, do you relegate Aston Villa though they have a game in hand?

I think it's cancel or complete. Taking the current standings would cause problems, do you relegate Aston Villa though they have a game in hand?

well that’s exactly why it’s a tough decision. Do you stop Liverpool winning the league? Although as funny as hell it would hardly be fair !

well that’s exactly why it’s a tough decision. Do you stop Liverpool winning the league? Although as funny as hell it would hardly be fair !

Who cares about being fair when Loverpool are concerned?

Cancle this season and we all start again in August. At least it will give the scousers something to moan about for a few years....

How are they any different to the girl on the til at LIDL or a teacher, or anyone who works in an office with other people?

We can all spread it, we all have family.

The season can't run into July as standard contracts run out on June 30th. Anyone in the last year of their contract would immediately leave or join a new club (if they've already signed a pre-contract).

It would be chaos on top of the current chaos.

I don't see it restarting. The peak for the virus isn't predicted for another 10-14 weeks. If they're shutting down football now, how will they justify bringing it back when conditions are worsening?

Unless some maverick scientist who's a loose cannon and doesn't play by the rules heroically discovers a vaccine in the next couple of months, saving the world - and his marriage - like a by-the-numbers Hollywood movie, we're in for the long haul folks.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Unless some maverick scientist who's a loose cannon and doesn't play by the rules heroically discovers a vaccine in the next couple of months, saving the world - and his marriage - like a by-the-numbers Hollywood movie, we're in for the long haul folks.

:lol:

Why are players 'good at spreading the virus'. They are no better at it than anybody else, it can be caught from surfaces as well as breathing it in. It can exist on surfaces, supposedly for up to 72 hours. Two teams of staff and players in an empty stadium are much less vulnerable than 100 people working in a warehouse distribution centre, 100 people working in a hospital or 50 people working in an office or call centre. The point is there are lots of people who are still currently working in the vicinity of many other people in lots of different scenarios, all are at risk of catching or spreading the virus.

I totally understand the sense in not have fans at games - but playing them in empty stadiums is pretty low risk for the players as far as I am concerned.

Yup and all those warehouse workers sweat and then kiss, embrace and bundle together when they send out another successful shipment ...

Yup and all those warehouse workers sweat and then kiss, embrace and bundle together when they send out another successful shipment ...
What a totally stupid comment. It doesn't take the brains of a rocket scientist to put into place some quite simple precautionary methods, to allow closed door games to go on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What a totally stupid comment. It doesn't take the brains of a rocket scientist to put into place some quite simple precautionary methods, to allow closed door games to go on.

So the issue with closed door games will be how many front line resources this will still take up. For example, let's say the scousers are 1 game away from the title. Are you telling me that 1000s of them won't be turning up to mill around outside the ground? Or Leeds on their promotion winning game? etc etc

Agreed. You can’t relegate and promote teams on that basis. I don’t see any other way to deal with European spots though and the FA Cup spot will have to go on the basis of league position.

They can cancel it but award Liverpool some sort of naff “Premier Award” or something.

So the issue with closed door games will be how many front line resources this will still take up. For example' date=' let's say the scousers are 1 game away from the title. Are you telling me that 1000s of them won't be turning up to mill around outside the ground? Or Leeds on their promotion winning game? etc etc[/quote']

Exactly

Plus the press will cover it. Cleaners will clean the dressing rooms, kit men, admin staff, ref & officials.

Comparing it to shop workers is just stupid. Will dozens of blokes go round each other’s houses or down the pub to watch Shirley in ASDA serve her customers?

Apart from a few selfish idiots upset about missing out on their football, most of the country will accept the decision and think it sensible.

3 potential cases at Southampton this afternoon most staff on leave now. Update ALL staff including players sent home All facilities shut . Obviously Staplewood and St Mary’s.

Edited by manji

I assume this game is completely non contact and they all have to stay within 3 meters of each other, yeah?

At least in summer there is alternative sport to watch. This is going to be a hard period to get through,

Cue self righteous tossers reminding me that people are going to die and hey that is more important than sport. Ohh I’ve unwittingly educated myself.

Agreed. You can’t relegate and promote teams on that basis. I don’t see any other way to deal with European spots though and the FA Cup spot will have to go on the basis of league position.

They can cancel it but award Liverpool some sort of naff “Premier Award” or something.

Just pull the names out of a hat it might be a refreshing change to see England's CL representation being Burnley, Watford, West ham and Norwich :lol:

So the issue with closed door games will be how many front line resources this will still take up. For example' date=' let's say the scousers are 1 game away from the title. Are you telling me that 1000s of them won't be turning up to mill around outside the ground? Or Leeds on their promotion winning game? etc etc[/quote']Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree that you would never be able to keep the fans away in some cases. I personally think that they should just write this season off now and start again next year. All I'm saying is that footballers, playing a game in an empty stadium, is not beyond the wit of man, and not the highest risk working environment compared to that of others.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

I assume this game is completely non contact and they all have to stay within 3 meters of each other, yeah?
Why? Look around you, have a look and see what other people are still routinely doing. You maybe walking around with an exclusion zone around you but for many the reality it's that little has changed in their working environments.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk