Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

At the end of the day it’s just football. They need to focus on the little people here who now can’t earn a wage or their small business has suffered due to the shutdown. A few nice gestures going about in North American sport whereby star players are paying those arena workers etc. who can’t earn anything during this crisis.

Surely it’s not impossible to complete the season behind closed doors given the money sloshing about in the game. Run a skeleton operation with only the essential first team staff, players stay in isolation and are tested before each game. Not exactly high risk.

Surely it’s not impossible to complete the season behind closed doors given the money sloshing about in the game. Run a skeleton operation with only the essential first team staff, players stay in isolation and are tested before each game. Not exactly high risk.
Imagine the political fallout if anyone contracted the virus due to that. Some things are more important than football.

There is the likelihood that along with a number of industries, football could well suffer significant financial pain.

Not only the lower league clubs but presumably Sky/BT would not be prepared to shell out to pay for games that are not played, if that is the case.

I wonder if this will have an affect the wages players agents are currently able to negotiate?

It'd never happen but I would:

• award Liverpool the title,

• have a play-off between the 16-18th places in the Premier League (winner of the first two games are "out" loses play each other and loser goes into the below)

• a play-off between 3rd-6th in the Championship (usual format)

• a mini-league between PL 19th, 20th & play-off loser & CH 1st, 2nd and play-off winner - played at Wembley over 3/4 days - top 3 go into the EPL, bottom 3 go into the EFL

Why would that happen if they were in isolation?

You can't isolate this for certain. Even with testing, you can't be certain that someone who tests negative hasn't got it on his hands, water bottle or it's too early to show up in the test or whatever. Then he is just a walking petri-dish, who is going to spread it to others even if he doesn't directly come into contact with an elderly person.

It's a fundamental point; you have human beings from all over the country coming together for physical contact for no reason other than entertainment. They aren't providing some social or medical service, you're talking about spreading a killer disease for the sake of a game of football.

You can't isolate this for certain. Even with testing, you can't be certain that someone who tests negative hasn't got it on his hands, water bottle or it's too early to show up in the test or whatever. Then he is just a walking petri-dish, who is going to spread it to others even if he doesn't directly come into contact with an elderly person.

It's a fundamental point; you have human beings from all over the country coming together for physical contact for no reason other than entertainment. They aren't providing some social or medical service, you're talking about spreading a killer disease for the sake of a game of football.

Yes indeed. And my guess (hope I'm wrong) it'll take a year before sports start again. Maybe this time next year they'll resume this season (along with the CL etc) and then have Euro 2021 straight after. If so, a lot of the smaller clubs will go under, but they won't be the only ones. It's going to be a global economic cluster**** for a long time I think. :(

My nephews played a match this morning they were probably less of a risk of spreading than the girl on the checkout at Tesco’s who probably came within coughing distance of multiple hundreds of people. Everyone is a risk whatever job they do, there are thousands more at risk than a football team who play together for 90 mins a week, especially if they have tested negative and taken sensible precautions.

My nephews played a match this morning they were probably less of a risk of spreading than the girl on the checkout at Tesco’s who probably came within coughing distance of multiple hundreds of people. Everyone is a risk whatever job they do, there are thousands more at risk than a football team who play together for 90 mins a week, especially if they have tested negative and taken sensible precautions.

was not until Arteta tested positive when the FA/Prem/EFL postponed all games in the top 4 leagues. I wonder how long the plan of playing in closed stadiums would have go on for?

Yes, that's exactly the point. The disease will spread through supermarkets, etc. and we wont be able to stop it, only reduce the rate at which it spreads. The difference being we need food shops to carry on living, we don't need football and trips to Ibiza.

Yes, that's exactly the point. The disease will spread through supermarkets, etc. and we wont be able to stop it, only reduce the rate at which it spreads. The difference being we need food shops to carry on living, we don't need football and trips to Ibiza.

Do you really think if two teams tested negative on a Weds/thurs, then self isolated until Saturday and played 90 mins, there would really be a significant risk?

Anyway, these are 25 year old millionaires we are talking about, they are not going to spend their month off sat around the house watching Netflix. They will be out in trendy nightclubs or up to their nuts in supermodels - giving them time off will probably result in more spreading than if they had to go to work like everyone else.

Mate there’s a global meltdown we don’t have money for Washington Post subscriptions.
It's free - you have to accept cookies etc but it's free. The Washington Post and the New York Times are making all their Virus content free apparently.

People are talking like it'll just be back to normal in a month or two. Not sure it's registering for most people.

There's a very good chance you won't see another football match in 2020. This season is a write off, it's more about whether we can get to a position where Europe is ready for next season, or if it's vaguely sensible.

Shouldn't be surprised how many are willing to put money and entertainment before lives really but it's still depressing. Is a real shame to potentially have a long period where elite footballers don't get to play at all. On a purely football note though, I wonder what we'd see from Ralph having 5 months or so to prepare for another season, work with the squad etc.

He's worked with the squad every day for 18 months and still hasn't turned the many sours ears into Silk purses pal.

Do you really think if two teams tested negative on a Weds/thurs, then self isolated until Saturday and played 90 mins, there would really be a significant risk?

Anyway, these are 25 year old millionaires we are talking about, they are not going to spend their month off sat around the house watching Netflix. They will be out in trendy nightclubs or up to their nuts in supermodels - giving them time off will probably result in more spreading than if they had to go to work like everyone else.

Ridiculous comments. Wake up to the reality of how serious this situation is.

Yes indeed. And my guess (hope I'm wrong) it'll take a year before sports start again. Maybe this time next year they'll resume this season (along with the CL etc) and then have Euro 2021 straight after. If so, a lot of the smaller clubs will go under, but they won't be the only ones. It's going to be a global economic cluster**** for a long time I think. :(

based on what exactly??

Dave probably wants to know what the guess is based on, or if it was plucked out of thin air.
Probably based on the worst case scenario outlined by the papers where the virus is a constant menace for the next year. Might make it quite difficult to restart things in that scenario but likelihood is we will resume things in a few months.

As a die hard (or soft and jelly like now) Saints fan of many long years I don't believe we should cancel this season as the vast majority has been played. In F1 if a race has reached a certain point even if it is halted for any reason result stands.`Yes I know they are totally different sports and One day is far from the time of a season.

However I think it is essential that we finish this season first and foremost. Even if it means next season starting and finishing later we should end it properly with all games played.

Many have said that there is only one choice which is cancel and make this season null and void. What happens then if this virus is still here in 6 months? There is a distinct possibility of losing another season as well. Football as we know it would not recover from such a drastic loss of action. No sponsorship would be incoming and many clubs could go under and not just the small fry. A lot of top clubs could not survive such a huge loss of income over a year.

Players contracts ending before the last match is played is just the beginning of the problem. No players would be bought with no games being played for clubs to be able to afford their wages. Many outside workers/companies that work for/with Saints FC would also struggle.

Even if this season has to stretch into next season we have the time to produce a way for the lost time to be recovered. This pandemic is I fear the start of many suchlike problems we will face in the coming years. Time will tell if we can survive as we are but much thought needs to be given as to the future of the game as well as the immediate presence.

As a die hard (or soft and jelly like now) Saints fan of many long years I don't believe we should cancel this season as the vast majority has been played. In F1 if a race has reached a certain point even if it is halted for any reason result stands.`Yes I know they are totally different sports and One day is far from the time of a season.

However I think it is essential that we finish this season first and foremost. Even if it means next season starting and finishing later we should end it properly with all games played.

Many have said that there is only one choice which is cancel and make this season null and void. What happens then if this virus is still here in 6 months? There is a distinct possibility of losing another season as well. Football as we know it would not recover from such a drastic loss of action. No sponsorship would be incoming and many clubs could go under and not just the small fry. A lot of top clubs could not survive such a huge loss of income over a year.

Players contracts ending before the last match is played is just the beginning of the problem. No players would be bought with no games being played for clubs to be able to afford their wages. Many outside workers/companies that work for/with Saints FC would also struggle.

Even if this season has to stretch into next season we have the time to produce a way for the lost time to be recovered. This pandemic is I fear the start of many suchlike problems we will face in the coming years. Time will tell if we can survive as we are but much thought needs to be given as to the future of the game as well as the immediate presence.

The world will look very different when this is ultimately over - football or sport in general will be the least of issues. I work for a very large multi billion global company and am part of business continuity / impact planning team, and I can assure you we have not ruled out going out of business, and will certainly be closing many offices and planning for redundancies already - god only knows how industries directly affected (airline, leisure, etc.) and small businesses will cope? I think many (and not implying you at all, more likes of Trump and Boris etc.) are still in denial over this outbreak. I hope I am wrong over this.

I really don’t think that we should be worrying about football, Formula 1 or sport in general. Apart from the mortality rate there is clearly a huge worry about the possible/likely effect on the economy, jobs etc. Airlines are already facing problems with staff maybe having to take 8 weeks unpaid leave. It isn’t going to end there.

If the coronavirus ends up with the worst case scenario there will very significant repercussions on our 'comfortable' way of life.

We are all likely to be poorer as economic conditions worsen and it will take time to recover.

As a consequence we will still want to watch sport but, as far as football is concerned, who will want to pay the level of tickets for games, especially as there are lots of unemployed.

It is likely that Sky/BT are going to re-evaluate their TV contract.

I really don’t think that we should be worrying about football, Formula 1 or sport in general. Apart from the mortality rate there is clearly a huge worry about the possible/likely effect on the economy, jobs etc. Airlines are already facing problems with staff maybe having to take 8 weeks unpaid leave. It isn’t going to end there.

The hospitality industry too. Bar staff, hotel staff, cinema staff etc here are all at home unpaid too. So far, restaurants are allowed to stay open, but I wonder how long that will remain.

[Francisco Garcia death: Spanish football coach dies from coronavirus aged 21] http://va.newsrepublic.net/al/FRFxxe

I really do not think this season will be played out....not the way things are going now.

I think we all better be prepared that we may not see any football for quite some time.

I think you could be right :( I'm already thinking i won't be able pay the mortgage soon let alone renewing my season ticket, assuming thats even an option. This is a disaster

It'd never happen but I would:

• award Liverpool the title,

• have a play-off between the 16-18th places in the Premier League (winner of the first two games are "out" loses play each other and loser goes into the below)

• a play-off between 3rd-6th in the Championship (usual format)

• a mini-league between PL 19th, 20th & play-off loser & CH 1st, 2nd and play-off winner - played at Wembley over 3/4 days - top 3 go into the EPL, bottom 3 go into the EFL

You're right. That would never happen. There are only two options. Try to complete the season, but that is impossible to define and will mess up next season and is IMO a bad idea, or declare the season null and void - would be very unpopular in some quarters, but is by far the best solution.

No surprise that ex-Liverpool players want the season completed, and Sky too as otherwise they have a massive hole in their schedules and an argument over paying for games not shown. No surprise either that Sky want all tournaments they don't cover cancelled.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The flip side of the argument that we should stop the league now and final positions are current standings, like in a stopped F1 race, is that in an F1 race, at the pint it's stopped, everyone has been raving for the same time under the same conditions.

If we stop the league now, it's not a level playing field. Some teams have actually played fewer games. They've all played different teams. Some have tough fixtures left, others not so. This simply doesn't work, neither does any artificial way of deciding things.

If a football match is abandoned, the game is null and void, no matter what the score. It should be the same for this season. Declare it null and void. Have a long summer break and hope we can start again in August, as we were last August.

The flip side of the argument that we should stop the league now and final positions are current standings, like in a stopped F1 race, is that in an F1 race, at the pint it's stopped, everyone has been raving for the same time under the same conditions.

If we stop the league now, it's not a level playing field. Some teams have actually played fewer games. They've all played different teams. Some have tough fixtures left, others not so. This simply doesn't work, neither does any artificial way of deciding things.

If a football match is abandoned, the game is null and void, no matter what the score. It should be the same for this season. Declare it null and void. Have a long summer break and hope we can start again in August, as we were last August.

Continuing the season at the soonest point possible wouldn't be a level playing field either, due to contracts running out in the summer.

Basically at this point there's no fair way to finish this season.

As harsh as it is on Liverpool (and I'm struggling to think of a team that's faced something more harsh), voiding the season feels like it'd be the fairest outcome to me.