• Ryan Bertrand
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Theo Walcott
    • Che Adams
    • Danny Ings

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 20:00

Saints taters bingo

1. “Nine-nil”       X
  2. “Austrian Klopp”. 
  3. “Like to press...” X
  4. "Famed Academy"
  5. “This is one for Ward-Prowse” X
  6. “Excellent first half” X
  7. “Unlucky not to go in more than one nil up” X
  8. “ Southampton haven’t got going since the break“
  9. "The equaliser was coming"
  10. “Saints struggling since going behind“
  11. “Ralph Hassenhutl is about to bring on Shane Long as Saints try to chase the game“ X
  12. ”Walcott celebrated his goal against his old club at the Emirates...”. X

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Saints taters bingo

1. “Nine-nil”       X
  2. “Austrian Klopp”. 
  3. “Like to press...” X
  4. "Famed Academy"
  6. “Excellent first half”
  7. “Unlucky not to go in more than one nil up”
  11. “Ralph Hassenhutl is about to bring on Shane Long as Saints try to chase the game“

Haha agreed

I’d add number 12 “This is a familiar theme for Southampton- they’ve dropped the most points from winning positions since Hasenhuttl arrived at the club” (cue that stupid annoying graphic)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Front four not doing enough for me...poor quality movement.  Need a 2nd to really get Arsenal on the back foot. Otherwise we're looking good value.😉

they (front four) are working hellishly hard to press and turn over possession, and making some nice runs too. Not sure what more you want from them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really like Walcott at right midfield. He races back to support KWP defensively and then races the other way to support the attack. Love his effort and think this is his best position. Not right wing, right midfield. 

• Like 3

Superb first half. Just a shame there's a certain inevitably / predictability that Arsenal will up their game in the second half and we won't be quite as good, which will level things out somewhat. Prove me wrong Saints and maintain that domination for 90 mins! :)

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Thought Saints were excellent in that half. The pressing is causing mayhem for the Arsenal defence. Need to capitalize though. 

agreed. Helped by Arsenal being sloppy. It was similar at Leicester though. In that game the foxes improved and we couldn't maintain the press. Hope that doesnt happen here.

11 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Saints taters bingo

1. “Nine-nil”       X
  2. “Austrian Klopp”. 
  3. “Like to press...” X
  4. "Famed Academy"
  6. “Excellent first half”
  7. “Unlucky not to go in more than one nil up”
  11. “Ralph Hassenhutl is about to bring on Shane Long as Saints try to chase the game“

Brilliant.   My number 12.  "Southampton's back-line caught napping there from the free kick..."

• Like 1

I don't think there's been a game this season where we haven't been strong in the first half. Even against Spurs.  Our high press is terrifying for so many teams. But we burn a lot of energy. Second half is usually another story. Here's hoping we can find another goal....

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

they (front four) are working hellishly hard to press and turn over possession, and making some nice runs too. Not sure what more you want from them.

Sorry Chez...not laughing at you  but you missed the winky thingy signifying reverse logic! 

Anyway, we've looked like like real team again with the line-up. Personally think Diallo is looking like a starting contender against Romeu now...very good partner for JWP. Overall, if we maintain discipline and score a 2nd the game is ours. Not sure I'd like to call MOTM yet, but Bednarek and KWP have both been solid.

Poor Gabriel,  sent off last time we played them, own goal today. He'll be crapping himself every time he plays us! 

It took me 20 mins to get my stream app working as our broadband is slow, then got it on and we scored.

Far from over but I'd have taken one nil at half time. Concentration needed. 

I take it we got to ET and pens not a replay?

5 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I don't think there's been a game this season where we haven't been strong in the first half. Even against Spurs.  Our high press is terrifying for so many teams. But we burn a lot of energy. Second half is usually another story. Here's hoping we can find another goal....

One good reason Saints would be well served if it went to 5 subs. If they had the squad to fill the bench

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Poor Gabriel,  sent off last time we played them, own goal today. He'll be crapping himself every time he plays us! 

It took me 20 mins to get my stream app working as our broadband is slow, then got it on and we scored.

Far from over but I'd have taken one nil at half time. Concentration needed. 

I take it we got to ET and pens not a replay?

Correct. No replay.

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sorry Chez...not laughing at you  but you missed the winky thingy signifying reverse logic! 

Anyway, we've looked like like real team again with the line-up. Personally think Diallo is looking like a starting contender against Romeu now...very good partner for JWP. Overall, if we maintain discipline and score a 2nd the game is ours. Not sure I'd like to call MOTM yet, but Bednarek and KWP have both been solid.

gotcha. I call that reverse psychology the `Lee Dixon effect'. You say a player is shit, they score a worldy. You say they are great, they have a stinker.

Really like Diallo, but Romeu was POTS candidate before injury. Central midfield now a strength. Thank god we got rid of Hoj. Little surprise the results have followed. The engine room of any side is critical. Happy days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We tend to give it all first half and nowt second half hope I'm proved wrong 

teams improve, rejig formations and we tire. Not sure there is any less effort second half, just struggle to match it. Arsenal were terrible first half. They can only get better. Not sure we can much more than we did, so probably can only ever get worse.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic