• Ryan Bertrand
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Theo Walcott
    • Che Adams
    • Danny Ings

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 20:00

Just now, igsey said:

Mods I can't seem to vote for Cedric for MOTM? He was one of our best players today, excellent passing to KWP and Diallo in the first half especially.

Saw a collector’s item today too, a Cedric cross that cleared the first man and actually landed in the box. 

While everyone remembers the Lamberts, Pelles, Manes etc if you check the record books our top eight finishes were built on bedrock of clean sheets with us being frequently in the top four or five teams on goals conceded.

Like many other teams without huge budgets that sneak a Euros slot it’s unrealistic to expect to win games three or four, and so lots of 1-0 wins are the difference between say 10th or 11th versus top six or cup win.

Great credit to Ralph for completely transforming our defensive game barely without spending any money.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

what a damn shame we can't be at some of these games. We've been so impressive during lockdown too. Love the FA away games. Some very special occasions over the years.

Really missing it tbh. Not just the footie (but not getting to see some of the best football we have produced in years is a proper piss off). Meeting up with the lads, few beers, plenty of banter. So bloody annoying 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forester said:

While everyone remembers the Lamberts, Pelles, Manes etc if you check the record books our top eight finishes were built on bedrock of clean sheets with us being frequently in the top four or five teams on goals conceded.

Like many other teams without huge budgets that sneak a Euros slot it’s unrealistic to expect to win games three or four, and so lots of 1-0 wins are the difference between say 10th or 11th versus top six or cup win.

Great credit to Ralph for completely transforming our defensive game barely without spending any money.  

If you keep a clean sheet you are guaranteed at least 1 point from the match.

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Oh come on, they’ve only been against Arsenal, Liverp...... yeah fair enough 🤣

I really think Fraser's long absence from 1st team action means teams have forgotten the fruitfull ploy of shooting from any range. He suffered once players realised his poor catching, and diving in slow motion, gave them a good chance from 30yds.

Credit to him and the coaching staff though, he's a bit more mobile, looks more confident, even found a use for his big toe today.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Fraser has been great too - three clean sheets in three :)

he is obviously not the most comfortable with the ball at his feet and like all keepers some clearances can be a bit shit, but I have to say there seems to be much greater enthusiasm to play the sweeper role and come off his line to help the defence out. He seem to have more confidence in the stability and strength of his knee/ankle, which ever it was he injured. I have been highly critical of him in the past, but he's been solid cover for McCarthy. A few saves with his feet too, which is new. Not had a lot to do, but done whats required especially one on ones. Good CB pairings and defensive midfielder have helped of course.

Fair play to him and the coaching department too I think.  The commanding of his box and the making of world class saves might be asking too much, but he's not let us down this season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If you keep a clean sheet you are guaranteed at least 1 point from the match.

And Fraser Forster usually does. His clean sheet record is outstanding. This reminds me of the great 2015/16 season.

Aubameyang's 'situation 'sounds bad:

Arteta unsure if Aubameyang will return on Tuesday - Says Arsenal will see how 'the situation evolves' and that the club will give him the support he needs.

Good win - take that.

Can't remember the last time we played well in the second half, though. We're absolutely spent after 45 minutes. If I were setting up an opposition side, I'd sit in and keep it tight in the first half - maybe hit on the break - in the knowledge that we'll dominate the second half. It's a problem, moving forward. Unless there's a covid lockdown to help us get a breather for a month or so, it's hard to see how the second half of the season won't be a real struggle for us physically.

Anyway, well played today. Solid defensive performance again. Maybe we should play Forster all the time - he seems to improve everyone's defensive focus because they know they have to keep him protected. His kicking, though... yikes. Why would a right footed goalkeeper keep taking the ball onto his left foot (and then shank it repeatedly)?

Hopefully no new injuries. Just exhaustion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Good win - take that.

Can't remember the last time we played well in the second half, though. We're absolutely spent after 45 minutes. If I were setting up an opposition side, I'd sit in and keep it tight in the first half - maybe hit on the break - in the knowledge that we'll dominate the second half. It's a problem, moving forward. Unless there's a covid lockdown to help us get a breather for a month or so, it's hard to see how the second half of the season won't be a real struggle for us physically.

Anyway, well played today. Solid defensive performance again. Maybe we should play Forster all the time - he seems to improve everyone's defensive focus because they know they have to keep him protected. His kicking, though... yikes. Why would a right footed goalkeeper keep taking the ball onto his left foot (and then shank it repeatedly)?

We need to take at least a 2-0 lead at HT to make sure we have a chance of winning  comfortably. Backs to the wall stuff  can't work every time.

We made very hard work of that.

Half the team looks knackered. We need to get the injured guys back ASAP.

I thought Diallo was MOM. Shout out to Forster too, who has done well since coming back in.

On the basis of Nlundulu's first touch in that match, I'd actually start Long with Ings on Tuesday and give Adams a rest.

Second half we weren't at it, but I think we should have been at least 2-0 up in the first half. We were excellent then.

We are just not scoring enough goals at the moment, Adams seems really off the boil to me - not sure if anyone else agrees? Theo is Theo, runs into blind alleys a lot and snatches at chances. That's pretty much Theo.

Ings looked good, but he needs a run in the side to build some consistency again.

Jan was my MOTM. Rock of a CB.

Also a little note to Cedric - that's why most were glad to be shot of him. He's absolutely hopeless and today summed that up.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Second half we weren't at it, but I think we should have been at least 2-0 up in the first half. We were excellent then.

We are just not scoring enough goals at the moment, Adams seems really off the boil to me - not sure if anyone else agrees? Theo is Theo, runs into blind alleys a lot and snatches at chances. That's pretty much Theo.

Ings looked good, but he needs a run in the side to build some consistency again.

Also a little note to Cedric - that's why most were glad to be shot of him. He's absolutely hopeless and today summed that up.

Thought Adams started really well. He seem to thrive on the Ings partnership. He and Ings do a hell of a lot of work though defensively and you cant do that for 90 minutes.

He and most of the players tire. Part of that is we give the ball away a bit too much which means we are doing the press a lot, which is tiring. We actually look at our best when we are doing this Far more dangerous when we don't have the ball. However, exerting so much energy is a problem. We can't do it in the second half and without the press (plus tiredness creating gaps) we look a little fragile and stretched defensively.

We perhaps need to stop the press every now and then to save energy. Tricky though as you give opponents the momentum.

Tell you what this boy Bednarek is turning out to be a brilliant signing. He's getting better and better and he's just signed a new contract too. His reading of the game is class and the amount of times he wins the ball cleanly on the stretch is impressive. Stephens deserves credit today too, he again played well, and with Vestergaard to come back we've got some solid options at CB. 

Speaking of brilliant signings, surely KWP must be up there as one of our best bits of business ever? What a player and such great value. Thank you Mr Levy.

Diallo is only 21. 21! So much composure for a kid. What a player to have fill in for Romeu who might even find it hard to get back into this side, incredibly. 

Never expected to beat Arsenal in the cup. I'd have bet us winning Tuesday's game over this one, Arsenal seem to just win in this competition no matter what. Bloody brilliant.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, benjii said:

We made very hard work of that.

Half the team looks knackered. We need to get the injured guys back ASAP.

I thought Diallo was MOM. Shout out to Forster too, who has done well since coming back in.

On the basis of Nlundulu's first touch in that match, I'd actually start Long with Ings on Tuesday and give Adams a rest.

Agree with that, energy levels were very flat as the game went on, desperate for two or three of the injured players back, are any of them even in training? We miss Vestergaard at set pieces, no real aerial threat without him, but Bednarek and Stephens have a really solid partnership. Stephens is a quality player for our squad, I still think he has an outside chance for an England call up (as does McCarthy) 

Always enjoy beating Arsenal. Got to play Wolves twice in the space of a few days now as well. 

23 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Agree it was clearly on

image.thumb.png.fe115e2a1b17dcdca71faa1c2be27382.png

The ball has just crossed the halfway line, Ings is in the middle between the 2 CBs. whoever the other Saints player is, ( Adams or Theo ? ), was possibly offside a split second before, but never gets involved in the move.

Edited by badgerx16

Oh there was another one too with KWP. Can't remember what it lead to or didn't lead to, but he was given off when he wasn't. 

How the lino on the other side missed that punch of the ball by Nketiah I think it was I'll never know. So much of the officiating in football these days is utterly appalling. Not just against us of course, they're terrible everywhere for everyone.

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Good win - take that.

But if an opposition side sits back and keeps it tight in the first-half, it would mean less pressing and less running around for our lads who should therefore not tire so quickly in the second-half.

1 hour ago, Trader said:

Sky Sports reporting that apart from Southampton knocking out Arsenal, there were no other shocks in the 4th round today.

Take a look at the table you tossers - talk about London-centric!!

not only the table, but the respective line-ups

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Thought Adams did well. Denied by Leno what would have been a quality goal. His movement and hold up play helps the team so much. Even if he was "off the boil", you're still playing him ahead of Walcott, N'Lundulu and Long regardless

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Thought theo was pretty poor verging on anonymous today, especially anywhere near the goal.  

didn't do much offensively, but bloody hell does he put a shift in. First half he didn't stop, up and down the pitch, always getting back behind the ball to double up with KWP and prevent Arsenal doing anything. I don't see that work rate from many forwards. I honestly wouldn't think twice about offering him a deal. He isn't a world beater but with his pace and off the ball running he is an asset. If we can find better, lets sign them, but if not Theo will do for me.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

didn't do much offensively, but bloody hell does he put a shift in. First half he didn't stop, up and down the pitch, always getting back behind the ball to double up with KWP and prevent Arsenal doing anything. I don't see that work rate from many forwards. I honestly wouldn't think twice about offering him a deal. He isn't a world beater but with his pace and off the ball running he is an asset. If we can find better, lets sign them, but if not Theo will do for me.

Also did one lovely piece of play where he dropped a shoulder to sell a couple of Arsenal players and turned to pick out Adams with a brilliant through ball down the wing.

5 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Also did one lovely piece of play where he dropped a shoulder to sell a couple of Arsenal players and turned to pick out Adams with a brilliant through ball down the wing.

spot on, pass of the game with real zip, enabling Adams to run free and he almost scored after beating Gabriel.

41 minutes ago, Chez said:

Theo is absolutely worth signing on a 2 year deal at the end of this season with the option of a third. I can see him ending his career with us now and possibly moving into coaching here. He looks more energised than he has in about 4 or 5 years.

• Like 2

Yippee, TAB paid $30 the win.  Off to get my 30 bucks now on the way to the cafe. My $10 bet for a top six at the start of the sseason and top four finish more recently aren't looking good though.  At least now every time I wake up and check the results I'm not looking at goal differences ... 

I know Badger likes cycling (maybe one two others). Our annual UCI sanctioned Gravel and Tar bike race was held yesterday. Managed to get George Bennett to come (NZ pro cyclist and featured a bit on the climbs in last year's Tour). Got speaking to a bloke who's his father in law. Great guy. Had a welome dinner on Friday night and got talking to an unassuming guy on our table who I know as "Tom" who turned out to have been a semi-pro cyclist in Europe for 5 years and rode for NZ in the Barcelona Olympics. Really interesting guy. Been a good weekend.

So, just watched the MoTD highlights. Very comfortable, more so than Adam and Dave made it sound live. Adams looked superb, what a player we've got there. Forster, you know what, I wish him the best and hope he becomes the next Shilton or Niemi for us because...I love him. He has been nothing but professional for us and deserves our respect and support. I truly think we have 2 of the 3 best English keepers in Alex & Fraser, we as Saints fans, are a privileged bunch with the players we get to support. Special mention to Bednerak who is the new M.Svensson, what a player!

I want to highlight something that is important to me, and most of you, I'm proud of the way our club has behaved and conducted themselves throughout these difficult times. Straight talk, common sense and us, just being Saints...the greatest football club in the world!

• Like 1