• Ryan Bertrand
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Theo Walcott
    • Che Adams
    • Danny Ings

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 20:00

I imagine we'll bring back the players who were on the bench tonight/got a rest tonight. The likes of Armstrong, Theo, Walker-Peters, Bertrand in from the start. I reckon Watts will get a start in the 4 alongside Diallo, JWP and Armstrong.

Theo Adams up top.

Back 4 - Bertrand - Jan - Jack - KWP

Long left in the dressing room I hope.

Edited by S-Clarke

Ings should be back in as well, He's definitely completed his isolation period, not injured unless he's pushing for a move this window. 

Bertrand should play as he's suspended for the league game a few days later.  

Not sure any of the youngsters did enough against Shrewsbury to get a start here (remember Chauke and Watts are behind Smallbone and Tella so 3rd choice) 

Going to be a tough game against the cup holders, might need extra time and pens.  

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Ings should be back in as well, He's definitely completed his isolation period, not injured unless he's pushing for a move this window. 

Bertrand should play as he's suspended for the league game a few days later.  

Not sure any of the youngsters did enough against Shrewsbury to get a start here (remember Chauke and Watts are behind Smallbone and Tella so 3rd choice) 

Going to be a tough game against the cup holders, might need extra time and pens.  

Smallbone and Tella are injured though, so Watts and Chauke are automatically promoted to their slots.

Given we have no Moussa, Redmond, Tella etc then we are pretty stretched in the wide areas. I guess we could go for N'Lundulu and Adams up top, with Theo and Armstrong in the two 'wide' midfield slots.

Ralph likes a settled side and he'll have an eye on the forthcoming league game.

Team pretty much picks itself really but who plays in midfield? The obvious trio of Diallo, JWP, and Romeo will be interesting to manage in Ralph's preferred formation.

Guess it depends on fitness really.

Team needs width, so maybe Valery will be given a forward role.

One thing is for sure the Arse won't be putting 10 behind the ball this time.

Hey Arsenal are a very much improved side of late,keeping faith in their youth system and blooding some very gifted and hungry wanna be first teamers. Both encounters are going to be a big test of how far we have progressed ,and if we can recapture our good early season form allowing injuries to heal and get the regular first team players back. But id settle for 2 scrappy 1-0 wins.

Edited by stevegrant
Remove unnecessary line breaks
  • Like 1

Would pretty much go full strength for this.

Forster; KWP Stephens Bednarek Bertrand; Diallo JWP; Armstrong Ings Adams Walcott

Might see NLundulu start if Ings not back yet, and maybe Vokins but seeing as though he's playing in the league a few days later, might as well make use of Bertrand for the cup tie.

I think both arguements for who should play left back have equal merits...

- Play Vokins to give him more chance to gel with team ahead of the PL game

- Field our strongest possible team for the cup game (i.e. play Bertrand)

I lean slightly towards giving Vokins more game time thus making him more prepared for the PL game 

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Would pretty much go full strength for this.

Forster; KWP Stephens Bednarek Bertrand; Diallo JWP; Armstrong Ings Adams Walcott

Might see NLundulu start if Ings not back yet, and maybe Vokins but seeing as though he's playing in the league a few days later, might as well make use of Bertrand for the cup tie.

Full strength Forster? McCarthy must come back

• Like 2

We have the unusual advantage of playing an FA Cup game at home against one of the big teams without a crowd. Usually, the Northam is packed with thousands of noisy away fans from whatever big team we are playing: Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, which really brings home the fact that, unlike most other teams, we don't have a home end to give us a home advantage. Our notional home end, the Chapel, is usually totally silent, and our most vocal fans are split into two groups hidden away in the corners of the away end, where nobody will hear or even notice them. I still don't understand why our most vocal fans can't join together in one big group behind a goal like they do at away games. When I was a youngster behind the goal at the Dell in the 60s and 70s, we'd have loved to have a big covered home end like there is at St Mary's, where we could make ourselves heard. 

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

Forster

Valery  Bednarek Stephens  Bertrand

JWP    Diallo

Armstrong  Walcott

Adams  NLundulu

Protect Vokins for Tuesdays Game. Keep Ings and KWP fresh for Tuesdays Game

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Forster

Valery  Bednarek Stephens  Bertrand

JWP    Diallo

Armstrong  Walcott

Adams  NLundulu

Protect Vokins for Tuesdays Game. Keep Ings and KWP fresh for Tuesdays Game

I doubt we will get a European place in the league so why not try and win the FA Cup?

I think the problem is the club see the higher league position will bring more income.

without doubt behind the scenes those that run the club will see finishing as high up the league table the most important thing this season with no gate income.

It will be interesting to see if they give Ralph the freedom to pick his strongest side for the cup. I'm not for one moment saying he would be dictated to about where he puts his priorities but I do think Ralph has bought into the club and how it is run and the financial restraints we have. In this sense he is more of a club manager with no selfish agenda unlike dare I say the like of Mourinho!

10 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

We have the unusual advantage of playing an FA Cup game at home against one of the big teams without a crowd. Usually, the Northam is packed with thousands of noisy away fans from whatever big team we are playing: Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, which really brings home the fact that, unlike most other teams, we don't have a home end to give us a home advantage. Our notional home end, the Chapel, is usually totally silent, and our most vocal fans are split into two groups hidden away in the corners of the away end, where nobody will hear or even notice them. I still don't understand why our most vocal fans can't join together in one big group behind a goal like they do at away games. When I was a youngster behind the goal at the Dell in the 60s and 70s, we'd have loved to have a big covered home end like there is at St Mary's, where we could make ourselves heard. 

Do you think it'd be a good idea to move the away fans to the cover and create a "kop"?

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Do you think it'd be a good idea to move the away fans to the cover and create a "kop"?

Yes, move them to either wing (Kingsland or Itchen). Home side (us) should have both goal ends. I know this has come up before, and I can't remember the argument that said the away fans had to stay. We should be looking to maximise all our advantages, including home support all game.

Newcastle put away fans up in the gods!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Problem is the Chapel end is the dedicated family stand.  I'm in Kingsland north but would love to be in a proper 'home end' but it's not really possible atm. Only if the away fans were moved to the side could we then do something but I can't see that happening unfortunately. It's why I tend to give cup games a miss these days.

On 20/01/2021 at 10:18, macca155 said:

Ralph likes a settled side and he'll have an eye on the forthcoming league game.

Team pretty much picks itself really but who plays in midfield? The obvious trio of Diallo, JWP, and Romeo will be interesting to manage in Ralph's preferred formation.

Guess it depends on fitness really.

Team needs width, so maybe Valery will be given a forward role.

One thing is for sure the Arse won't be putting 10 behind the ball this time.

Diallo seems less comfortable and less effective in the sitting midfield role and resorted to safe tippy-tappy passes with JWP in the defensive third. He is much more alive and effective as an attacking midfielder and so it is not a problem to play Romeu/JWP in the deep positions with Diallo in the No 10 role. Him or Armstrong on Saturday.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Management summary please!

The live broadcast bit didn't last very long and missed the initial question(s) due to the stream starting after the session started. Most of what I heard was about Ings's contract situation (so nothing we didn't already know), although I think Ralph confirmed that Ings will play on Saturday.

Edited by trousers

14 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Couldn’t agree more .. powers that be want an atmosphere they should put away fans down the chapel end and let home fans have kingslsnd corner all of northam and itchen corner belting out ‘o wen the saints’ would sound amazing..just like the European away trip to the san Siro .. saints were deafening the locals loved it 👌🏻

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

I do agree with you. It's been an issue ever since the plans for the stadium were drawn up. The police insist on easy access to coaches and station for away fans., which is why they are where they are. Moving the away fans would require restructuring the stadium. For them to be near coaches it would require them to be located in the corners of Itchen and Northern, and the removal of booking offices. construction of new doorways, toilets and walls. Not easy, sadly. 

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Diallo seems less comfortable and less effective in the sitting midfield role and resorted to safe tippy-tappy passes with JWP in the defensive third. He is much more alive and effective as an attacking midfielder and so it is not a problem to play Romeu/JWP in the deep positions with Diallo in the No 10 role. Him or Armstrong on Saturday.

Picking the ball up deep and skipping past a centre forward is completely different to picking the ball up at the other end of the pitch and running at a full back or centre back. He's a decent little player for sure, but based on what he's done to date, I've not seen him as a number 10. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eelpie said:

I do agree with you. It's been an issue ever since the plans for the stadium were drawn up. The police insist on easy access to coaches and station for away fans., which is why they are where they are. Moving the away fans would require restructuring the stadium. For them to be near coaches it would require them to be located in the corners of Itchen and Northern, and the removal of booking offices. construction of new doorways, toilets and walls. Not easy, sadly. 

It is annoying but I’d like to think the days of hooliganism is gone and even away fans would be capable of behaving themselves back to their coaches- I can see why they can’t be given any of the Itchen stand due to corporate boxes but the would the Kingsland North be that much an issue!

Anyway; let’s get this damn pandemic over and fans in safely first before worrying about that

21 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

I don't know why nobody has ever mentioned this before. 

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

It is annoying but I’d like to think the days of hooliganism is gone and even away fans would be capable of behaving themselves back to their coaches- I can see why they can’t be given any of the Itchen stand due to corporate boxes but the would the Kingsland North be that much an issue!

Anyway; let’s get this damn pandemic over and fans in safely first before worrying about that

If the away end were down in the Kingsland/Chapel corner then the away coaches could all park up in the area with the industrial units off in that direction and you can block off access to the Kingsland side from there so station fans would have to go round Chapel Road. 

12 hours ago, nta786 said:

It’s not and they can’t 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic