Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we did want Edouard, that Moi angle is potentially a decent one we could use to leverage a better deal that other clubs couldn't match.

I guess it would come down to the wages he'd want at Celtic though.

True.  The Sun link is speculative, BUT, as you say, it's not crazily out of reality.

Leicester supposedly want him, which could be a problem.  

I still can't see Moi getting another chance here, and his numbers at Celtic must have caught some attention this year. 

Do you see Edouard coming in and us NOT selling Ingsey?

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

True.  The Sun link is speculative, BUT, as you say, it's not crazily out of reality.

I still can't see Moi getting another chance here, and his numbers at Celtic must have caught some attention this year. 

Not really, I think if we did sign Edouard it would be as a replacement for Ings - IMO. I don't see us signing a 'star' centre forward with Ings still here, but we may add depth with a younger sort.

21 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Speculative is one way of describing it.

The other is that the actual report comes from a podcast and for all we know was said by Always_SFC or Jeff Le Taxi.

I.e file under absolute drivel.

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The other is that the actual report comes from a podcast and for all we know was said by Always_SFC or Jeff Le Taxi.

In the interest of fairness, I did call it The worlds most speculative transfer link  :) 

52 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Always still posts on here. Although I’ll let you guess what his user name is..

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

The worlds most speculative transfer link :) 

Basically they’ve taken a piece of speculation by the sun, football fan cast have added their bit of speculation then the sun have rerun the article adding both bits together to come up with this story. It’s talksport levels of horseshit

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Always still posts on here. Although I’ll let you guess what his user name is..

Assume that crackpot SKD who seems to have emerged at the same time Always went dark ?

They certainly share the trait of being wrong about literally everything! A skill in itself I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

With regards to some facilities being closed during pandemic, surely same for every other team? Rules are rules unless other teams have either found a way round them or have simply breached the rules. 

I think the backroom staff need to have a rethink as our common second half collapse was more than a mere blip. Teams worked us out knowing we would be knackered and they took advantage of that plus Ralph's inability to change tactics / personnel for the better during games. 

Pretty sure that teams like City who have invested an insane amount in their facilities have, for example, individual ice baths for single players to sit in whereas we have communal ones which were unavailable for use during lockdown. That would massively hamper recovery.

20 hours ago, Appy said:

Sims and Hesketh too? 

Technically “senior players”

Touche.

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

Assume that crackpot SKD who seems to have emerged at the same time Always went dark ?

They certainly share the trait of being wrong about literally everything! A skill in itself I suppose.

You think, as a person who at the moment doesn’t have anything positive to say about the club, that I’m always?... only one crackpot who’s wrong here buddy... 

Its chapel end. I exposed him... not wrong about everything it seems 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

You think, as a person who at the moment doesn’t have anything positive to say about the club, that I’m always?... only one crackpot who’s wrong here buddy... 

it was interesting that Chapel End pick a random post made by me on a thread about Dominic Cummins he hadn't even commented on before yesterday to launch a personal attack and then mention being called Always. Then he cries about other people bringing it up, even starting threads about it. Seriously odd.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SKD said:

Whooosh

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

An Edouard/Elyounousi deal in the same way the Hojberg/KWP deals happened would be a decent bit of business. 

Also seen links to Danjuma, Gauld and Woodman. 

Elyounoussi for Edouard, Long for Danjuma, Lemina for Woodman. It's the summer of trading! Be cool if we could pull one of them off. With considerable money thrown in, of course.

Edited by TWar

8 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Would be good, but Lookman is RB Leipzig, not Fulham I think.

I ment Woodman, the keeper we were linked with from Newcastle who is currently on loan at Swansea. Newcastle are also linked to Lemina and I doubt he'd drop to the championship given he has already proven he can do a job for a lower table prem side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Danny Rose has just been released by Tottenham. Left back with loads of PL experience, might be worth looking at.

Don't hate the idea as a back up LB but I don't think he should be our first choice in such an important position

I'd take Rose as a back up to be fair, he started the 2019 Champions League final and would be an okay back up. However, I'd only offer £30k a week max; as I said before pay should be linked to quality on the pitch (hence why I'm not a fan of offering Walcott £75k to sit on our bench)...

Also direct player swaps don't happen anymore now do they? I think I read it was something to do with FFP and in the financial statements such deals would show as an accounting "loss" on player registrations or something.

Hence why deals have to be structured like KWP/PEH for example. 

I think the last high-profile swap was probably Ibrahimovic/Etoo a long time ago?

59 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Also direct player swaps don't happen anymore now do they? I think I read it was something to do with FFP and in the financial statements such deals would show as an accounting "loss" on player registrations or something.

Hence why deals have to be structured like KWP/PEH for example. 

I think the last high-profile swap was probably Ibrahimovic/Etoo a long time ago?

There have been a couple since that I remember. Mkhitaryan for Sanchez and Peter Crouch for Sam Vokes are the only I can think of off the top of my head. I think they will make a big comeback now no one has any money. 

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Don't hate the idea as a back up LB but I don't think he should be our first choice in such an important position

Lmao.

We're fucking Southampton mate.

Who are we getting at LB that's better than Danny Rose??

I would snap his hand off if he was willing join us.

Fucking hell, Danny Rose not a good enough starting LB for us. 😅

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Lmao.

He is very much on the decline. It wouldn't be a good signing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Lmao.

31 year old Danny Rose who hasn't played for Spurs all season, wasn't registered in any of their squads and doesn't even like playing football?

I'll pass too thanks.

17 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Lmao.

This is the same guy that wasn't good enough for Newcastle. He hasn't played over 2000 minutes in the league in 5 years. In January he missed out at the very last moment of a move to trabzonspor. I think we can compete with small teams from Turkey! It's not 2016 anymore mate, might want to update your ratings of the lad. He is a bench option but lets not go nuts

Edited by TWar

19 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Lmao.

If we sign Danny Rose then we might as well have kept Ryan Bertrand.

The whole idea of the move on from Bertrand is to enable us to get a younger, potentially better left back. We're not going to sign Rose.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If we sign Danny Rose then we might as well have kept Ryan Bertrand.

The whole idea of the move on from Bertrand is to enable us to get a younger, potentially better left back. We're not going to sign Rose.

What makes you think it was Saints choice for Bertrand to leave? He is still good enough to attract reported interest from Arsenal and Leicester.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

What makes you think it was Saints choice for Bertrand to leave? He is still good enough to attract reported interest from Arsenal and Leicester.

If we really wanted him he'd have stuck around, in my opinion. He was making noises about finishing his career here not so long ago.

It was probably a mutual decision in the end imo.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If we really wanted him he'd have stuck around, in my opinion. He was making noises about finishing his career here not so long ago.

That’s not gonna wash with MLG :) 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If Leicester want him, why would he stay with us?

He hasn't declined in the way many on here claim. He remains at a level a top half club would offer him a decent contract.

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree with this. I think Bertrand would have stayed if offered a decent length deal on first team players wages but we didn't want to do that as we saw him as more of a back up going forward and couldn't justify the outlay. All conjecture though, just seems to be what I pieced together from multiple accounts over the year.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Leicester want him, why would he stay with us?

Because he won't start for Leicester often at all. He will be a cup/rotation option. If we offered full first team football, the chance not to move, and good money, then he'd probably have seen out his career here.

Edited by TWar

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

LMFAO people having a different opinion to you.

Christ

If someone can suggest to me a LB who can come straight in and do a job who we (Southampton football club) could realistically sign who is better than Danny Rose... I'm all ears....

😅

28 minutes ago, TWar said:

I agree with this. I think Bertrand would have stayed if offered a decent length deal on first team players wages but we didn't want to do that as we saw him as more of a back up going forward and couldn't justify the outlay. All conjecture though, just seems to be what I pieced together from multiple accounts over the year.

Yeah, I think that's a fair assumption. Plus it's been well documented that we've been in the market for full backs for the last few years, both left and right sided. I think we wanted to evolve that position whatever the case this window, so Bertrand wouldn't have been a regular - so would have needed wages to suit that, which he seemingly didn't want to accept.

He's not going to be a regular at Leicester or any of these sides either, so it'll be interesting to see where he ends up. The only sour part for me is how it ended, it would have been nice to see him play out the season with us rather than being consigned to the outside. (I don't buy that he was injured)

10 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

lmfao.

People turning their noses up at Danny Rose.

Christ.

People turning their nose up at a player that hasn't played a competitive match for over a season and wasn't even included in the Squad for Spurs last season.

Christ.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

If someone can suggest to me a LB who can come straight in and do a job who we (Southampton football club) could realistically sign who is better than Danny Rose... I'm all ears....

😅

Better than Rose?  Henry, Firpo, Williams, Tanganga I would all be more happy with by a mile and all are linked. Players not linked but I would like and I think we could get: Antonee Robinson, Javi Galan, Lloyd Kelly I would all prefer. If you are looking for a player on a free who is an LB who is being released this summer in the premier league Rose isn't even in the top two, side from Bertrand I'd also have Van Arnholt.

Honestly it's a very silly question considering Rose was basically due for trabzonspor before the deal fell through at 11pm transfer deadline day. And hasn't even been deemed worthy of being in the spurs squad, and hence hasn't played any pro football in over a year.

Edited by TWar

6 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

😅

Patrick Van-Arnholt
Ezgjan Alioski
Jetro Willems
Brandon Williams

There's 4 for you. I think we're looking at younger players abroad as well, there have been some other names linked.

Rose hasn't played for a long time, the level he had with Spurs under MP is gone - long gone. He's a worse left back than Ryan Bertrand so it would be a nonsensical and dumb move.