Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

21 hours ago, waylander said:

Van Aanholt who is in the Dutch squad for the Euros

I have a few pals who support Palace and they don’t think much of PVA these days, consider him a liability. They’re much happier with the young lad Tyrick Mitchell.

5 hours ago, bpsaint said:

He had a decent season tbf, although it’s clear to every man and his dog that midfield is one area we don’t need reinforcements.

(*unless we somehow manage to bin off Redmond, then we need a replacement)

Really? We definitely need reinforcements in midfield, primarily to replace existing players (Redmond, Djenepo, Minamino) but also to strengthen in CM, as Ralph originally mentioned (but subsequently backtracked), we need to backup Romeu, JWP and Diallo, now possibly that could be helped by reintegrating Lemina. BUt we should definitely be looking to strengthen midfield, if not in numbers in quality.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

For us not to be interested in a midfielder, we are certainly being linked with more midfielders than LBs!

Correct! According to my exceedingly geeky transfer-link spreadsheet... (We've been linked with a TON of players already).

- 5x GK's

- 5x DL's

- 5x DC's

- 6x MC's

- 6x Wide Attackers

- 5x SC's

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Correct! According to my exceedingly geeky transfer-link spreadsheet... (We've been linked with a TON of players already).

- 5x GK's

- 5x DL's

- 5x DC's

- 6x MC's

- 6x Wide Attackers

- 5x SC's

Care sharing names of all the players?

21 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

- 5x GK's

- 5x DL's

- 5x DC's

- 6x MC's

- 6x Wide Attackers

- 5x SC's

Bro the sun is shining, it's the weekend and we have no money.

Go outside and dream of better days when we thought we could get Tuchel and Ziyech.

I've resigned myself to us having no money.

Unless someone can reconcile semmens statement of "I'd of thought we would have investment now I'm surprised its not happened" (sic) from the fans forum to actually us having some cash I'm over this transfer window to be honest and its more frustrating that this THE WINDOW to spend on players due to the cash strapped clubs around the world.

If we had 70mil we could parlay that into players who would normally be up past combined a 100m + total.

Cash is king and we are in the stocks getting veg thrown at us.

16 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Care sharing names of all the players?

GK's:

Toby Savin
Daniel Bentley
Josh Griffiths
Thomas Strakosha
Freddie Woodman

LEFT-BACKS:

Rico Henry
Souleyman Doumbia
Ghislain Konan
Junior Firpo
Nuno Tavares

RIGHT-BACKS:

Brandon Williams
Neco Williams

CENTRE-BACKS:

Marc Guehi
Kyle McClelland
Leo Hjelde
Kiki Kouyate
Andreaw Gravillon

CENTRE-MIDS:

Mattias Svanberg
Marco Kana
Yangel Herrera
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Thomas Delaney
Tom Davies

ATTACKING MID:

Jorge de Frutos
Jens Petter Hauge
Santiago Moreno
Ryan Gauld
Arnaut Danjuma
Ryan Christie

STRIKERS:

Randal Kolo Muani
Evann Guessand
Giorgos Giakoumakis
Odsonne Edouard
Daryl Dike

13 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Go outside and dream of better days when we thought we could get Tuchel and Ziyech.

Brother, I'm outside & have a juicy pale ale next to me.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I've resigned myself to us having no money.

Unless someone can reconcile semmens statement of "I'd of thought we would have investment now I'm surprised its not happened" (sic) from the fans forum to actually us having some cash I'm over this transfer window to be honest and its more frustrating that this THE WINDOW to spend on players due to the cash strapped clubs around the world.

If we had 70mil we could parlay that into players who would normally be up past combined a 100m + total.

Cash is king and we are in the stocks getting veg thrown at us.

I think the problem is that people are just looking at this from one view. Of course we can't buy a load of extra players (other than a LB) but what we can do is wheel and deal and unload some of our (many) under performers and replace them with low cost alternatives in the hope that we may be able to improve the squad. We have at least 2 GKs we can offload (take your pick which ones), that surely was the point of the experiment at the end of the season. We have a RB surplus to requirements (Valery) and we have some AMs and forwards who we could get shot of (Redmond, Djenepo, Obafemi, N'Lundulu). Then of course there are the loanees, Hoedt, Moi, Lemina, Long. None of them will make us a lot of money obviously but would help to fund some replacements. We've also got some out of contracts which free up some funds, not just Bertrand, but Harry Lewis and unfortunately Sam McQueen, possibly others. Overall this could be a very busy transfer window without any significant net spend. Then again, it might not. 

Edited by VectisSaint
Forgot Shame Long

6 hours ago, bpsaint said:

He had a decent season tbf, although it’s clear to every man and his dog that midfield is one area we don’t need reinforcements.

(*unless we somehow manage to bin off Redmond, then we need a replacement)

Binning off Redmond isn’t gonna happen as long as Ralph is here is it?

ralph prefers to play him over Walcott who we have now just taken on perm, prefers him over tella, and sometimes even prefers over Adams up front lol..

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Binning off Redmond isn’t gonna happen as long as Ralph is here is it?

ralph prefers to play him over Walcott who we have now just taken on perm, prefers him over tella, and sometimes even prefers over Adams up front lol..

Preferred, tried to get him to perform, but even Ralph saw eventually that it wasn't going to happen. There is no reason on earth that Ralph will not usher him out of the door, and to be fair, he could be someone who we might get a few quid for, people still see him as a good player, one of the promoted teams might think his experience his worth having (they'd be wrong but that's for them to find out). If we can't/won't shift players like Redmond then we have no hope of improving the squad for next season.

13 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's best that we only go for average players so that we can get them in early for no reason

When did I mention average players? Theres plenty of good players who would improve us who dont play for a top european side - the likes of Armstrong and Salisu both come to mind. Is this not where the infamous black box comes in - identifying good players with lots of potential. As opposed to queuing up with 10 other clubs to look at some barca kid who will go elsewhere anyways

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

When did I mention average players? Theres plenty of good players who would improve us who dont play for a top european side - the likes of Armstrong and Salisu both come to mind. Is this not where the infamous black box comes in - identifying good players with lots of potential. As opposed to queuing up with 10 other clubs to look at some barca kid who will go elsewhere anyways

The black box is all well and good, but you still need money for it to work effectively. 

I think it's going to be another window of waiting for the likes of Elyonoussi, Lemina, Hoedt and/or Ings/Vestergaard to leave before we can do anything of note.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's going to be another window of waiting for the likes of Elyonoussi, Lemina, Hoedt and/or Ings/Vestergaard to leave before we can do anything of note.

I think we may see a couple of those lads reintegrated. We need players, we haven't got cash, they've all done OK on loan and we won't sell them.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

I think we may see a couple of those lads reintegrated. We need players, we haven't got cash, they've all done OK on loan and we won't sell them.

Elyounoussi is probably the only one I can see us keeping to negate the need for an additional wide player/number 10....but I can't see us keeping Mario or Hoedt around tbh. They'll be high on our list to shift.

No way Elyounoussi will feature in the first team squad.

Ralph gave him a few chances and he was shite hence being twice loaned out and neither season being consistent enough in the Scottish league for Celtic to be banging down the door to sign him permanently.

Ralph has rightly said we need change and that isnt bringing back someone who has alteady proven they aren't good enough.

42 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Elyounoussis numbers at Celtic are better than Armstrong's were, and in a worse side. He should absolutely be given a chance here again.

Sometimes players who lack pace can have great numbers in weaker leagues but simply not cut it at a higher level. Rasiak is a good example

5 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Preferred, tried to get him to perform, but even Ralph saw eventually that it wasn't going to happen. There is no reason on earth that Ralph will not usher him out of the door, and to be fair, he could be someone who we might get a few quid for, people still see him as a good player, one of the promoted teams might think his experience his worth having (they'd be wrong but that's for them to find out). If we can't/won't shift players like Redmond then we have no hope of improving the squad for next season.

How do u mean that Ralph saw eventually.? Ralph is still picking him ahead of tella and Walcott up until the last game of the season!

even after Redmond gave away a goal by misckicking a clearance and standing with his hands on his hips for the offside Ralph left him on the full 90 so I’m not sure what makes you think Ralph has realised ?

seems to me ralph rates Redmond and has him higher in the pecking order then Walcott djenepo and tella.. which kind of makes the Walcott signing even more pointless if he’s not even seen as better then what we have which bar Armstrong is not that good 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Elyounoussis numbers at Celtic are better than Armstrong's were, and in a worse side. He should absolutely be given a chance here again.

Wasn’t Armstrong playing more as a box to box number 6 type cm at Celtic..?don’t think he was playing the same wide attacking number ten like he does here. So maybe makes elyoununoussi numbers look better against him?

13 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Wasn’t Armstrong playing more as a box to box number 6 type cm at Celtic..?don’t think he was playing the same wide attacking number ten like he does here. So maybe makes elyoununoussi numbers look better against him?

Not sure how useful numbers really are in the SPL when judging a player for the PL.

Anyone who watched Elyounoussi for us could see that there was no lack of effort or question marks about attitude but physically he doesn't have what is needed to be successful in his position, seeing as he isnt a wonderful technical player in the style of say Tadic. He was easy to defend against.

He isn't good enough - absolutely sure on that.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

Hate to say this but here goes. Current transfer talk is akin to rearranging the Titanic deckchairs while the bloke in charge steams straight ahead at the iceberg. 
After lack of investment our next biggest problem is we have a manager who tactically is not Premier League status. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Hate to say this but here goes. Current transfer talk is akin to rearranging the Titanic deckchairs while the bloke in charge steams straight ahead at the iceberg. 

Hitting the iceberg straight on would have been fine and they probably could have made it to land with only damage to the front. Turning caused a big problem as it ripped a hole through multiple compartments down the side of the ship. 😉

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

our next biggest problem is we have a manager who tactically is not Premier League status. 

How did he manage to pick up so many Premier League points in 2020 then? 5th highest in calendar year!

Or finish 2nd and 6th in a major league like the Bundesliga with a newly promoted club?

Sure we haven't been good in 2021, but let's not write him off as tactically inept when he has previously shown he isn't.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Hitting the iceberg straight on would have been fine and they probably could have made it to land with only damage to the front. Turning caused a big problem as it ripped a hole through multiple compartments down the side of the ship. 😉

Front? Not a mariner then MLG 😉

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

There seem to be an awful lot of Celtic fans saying Christie isn't great here: https://tbrfootball.com/celtic-fans-react-as-southampton-eye-ryan-christie/. And that they'd take a straight swap with Moi in a heartbeat. Maybe the loan recall is the way to go.

Agree. Forster came back from Celtic on a higher level than when he left us. No reason for Moi not to improve by playing regularly, and being trusted. I'd rather have him back than speculate precious funds on 'maybe' players.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

There seem to be an awful lot of Celtic fans saying Christie isn't great here: https://tbrfootball.com/celtic-fans-react-as-southampton-eye-ryan-christie/. And that they'd take a straight swap with Moi in a heartbeat. Maybe the loan recall is the way to go.

Remember the lack of enthusiasm about Armstrong from some Celtic fans (and our fans) at the time. Christie is one of only three players you would take from Celtic right now (Edouard and Turnbull the others). Would definitely take him at cut price if his contract runs out in Jan. His creativity would be welcome

I wonder somehow if we aren't missing a trick. Years ago not only did the likes of Liverpool and Manchester Utd buy ready to play players they bought in young not yet ready but good young players from the lower divisions. For example Ray Clements and Kevin Keegan who didn't play immediately in the first team but came through quite quickly. Our purchase of ready made players for multi million fees has been very hit and miss in the last few years,  It seems it's either that or the academy which also isn't producing as it used to.

Maybe we should add another tier of two or three players from the lower divisions every year and if some of them step up to the challenge it would help the squad. After all we brought through some pretty decent players from division one who performed well in the Premier league. Watching the playoffs I've seen players that at that level look almost too good.  

For example if anyone is watching today, I've been watching a 25 years old left wing back several times in FA cup games and the playoffs. Ryan Haynes, he looks pretty competent but it is difficult to see on TV. If anybody knows him or is watching I'd be interested in any opinions.

16 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

How do u mean that Ralph saw eventually.? Ralph is still picking him ahead of tella and Walcott up until the last game of the season!

even after Redmond gave away a goal by misckicking a clearance and standing with his hands on his hips for the offside Ralph left him on the full 90 so I’m not sure what makes you think Ralph has realised ?

seems to me ralph rates Redmond and has him higher in the pecking order then Walcott djenepo and tella.. which kind of makes the Walcott signing even more pointless if he’s not even seen as better then what we have which bar Armstrong is not that good 

Think you answered your own question there. What would have been the point of subbing Redmond at the end of the last game of the season. He was given opportunities to prove his worth in the experiments and in the final game he demonstrated conclusively how he could not cut it for Saints, even Ralph would surely have finally concluded that Redders was a waste of space. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dusic said:

Not sure how useful numbers really are in the SPL when judging a player for the PL.

Anyone who watched Elyounoussi for us could see that there was no lack of effort or question marks about attitude but physically he doesn't have what is needed to be successful in his position, seeing as he isnt a wonderful technical player in the style of say Tadic. He was easy to defend against.

He isn't good enough - absolutely sure on that.

He made a total of 16 appearances for us in one season where we were offensively poor across the board. Total minutes equates to 49 minutes a game. Absurd to write him off already, especially when there's people still advocating giving Redmond a chance.

9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

How did he manage to pick up so many Premier League points in 2020 then? 5th highest in calendar year!

Or finish 2nd and 6th in a major league like the Bundesliga with a newly promoted club?

Sure we haven't been good in 2021, but let's not write him off as tactically inept when he has previously shown he isn't.

Although I've regarded myself as one of Ralph's supporters over the last few months I've also wondered about his success at RB Leipzig and how much can be read into that as he had Ralf Rangnick as a DoF to perhaps guide and assist. How much influence RR would have had on day to day matters, tactics and selections we'll never know but it could have offered a better back up than those we have.

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He made a total of 16 appearances for us in one season where we were offensively poor across the board. Total minutes equates to 49 minutes a game. Absurd to write him off already, especially when there's people still advocating giving Redmond a chance.

And in those few appearances his failings were obvious for all to see. He's simply too slow and technically limited to be effective in the PL. No amount of additional game time is going to change that fact.

Saints apparently leading the race for Adam Armstrong.

"Southampton who are at the front of the queue at the moment, with initial talks already opened with intermediaries."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1443507/Southampton-Newcastle-West-Ham-Championship-Blackburn-Adam-Armstrong-Premier-League

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And in those few appearances his failings were obvious for all to see. He's simply too slow and technically limited to be effective in the PL. No amount of additional game time is going to change that fact.

What a load of nonsense. In terms of minutes he's played the equivalent of 8 games, in a new league in a new country, and you think that's enough to write him off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints apparently leading the race for Adam Armstrong.

"Southampton who are at the front of the queue at the moment, with initial talks already opened with intermediaries."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1443507/Southampton-Newcastle-West-Ham-Championship-Blackburn-Adam-Armstrong-Premier-League

Ah...Tony Banks from the Express. 

If there is any truth in this (doubtful) then would be an Ings replacement I would imagine.

On 30/05/2021 at 14:35, SuperSAINT said:

GK's:

Toby Savin
Daniel Bentley
Josh Griffiths
Thomas Strakosha
Freddie Woodman

LEFT-BACKS:

Rico Henry
Souleyman Doumbia
Ghislain Konan
Junior Firpo
Nuno Tavares

RIGHT-BACKS:

Brandon Williams
Neco Williams

CENTRE-BACKS:

Marc Guehi
Kyle McClelland
Leo Hjelde
Kiki Kouyate
Andreaw Gravillon

CENTRE-MIDS:

Mattias Svanberg
Marco Kana
Yangel Herrera
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Thomas Delaney
Tom Davies

ATTACKING MID:

Jorge de Frutos
Jens Petter Hauge
Santiago Moreno
Ryan Gauld
Arnaut Danjuma
Ryan Christie

STRIKERS:

Randal Kolo Muani
Evann Guessand
Giorgos Giakoumakis
Odsonne Edouard
Daryl Dike

Brother, I'm outside & have a juicy pale ale next to me.

So out of all these quoted by various sources could we actually make a decent starting line up and how much do you think it would cost?

43 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Ah...Tony Banks from the Express. 

If there is any truth in this (doubtful) then would be an Ings replacement I would imagine.

Or Ings' back-up, given last season's injury record.  Presumably it's in large part because of Armstrong that Blackburn's final table position so off-kilter - finishing 15th but with a GD of +11, and scoring more goals as a team than second-placed Watford. 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What a load of nonsense. In terms of minutes he's played the equivalent of 8 games, in a new league in a new country, and you think that's enough to write him off. 

Yes. Moi isn't a Mane/Djenepo/Boufal/Gaston where there're clearly flashes of brilliance but not consistency, he simply does not have any attributes to play in this league.

• Like 2