Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Said this last summer, Grujic would be a good addition to our midfield, Liverpool looking to offload by the looks of him. Would rather him than the Japanese fella.

You're probably right but unfortunately if we've already publicly stated we're not looking for a DM in Delaney (who was rumoured at £6-8m) can't see us goining for Gruijic.

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Have seen the name on here before but don't really know anything else about him. If we are looking at a GK though it's a position I'd like to se us going for a more experienced one though rather than following the "one for the future" route. 

28 minutes ago, Badger said:

You're probably right but unfortunately if we've already publicly stated we're not looking for a DM in Delaney (who was rumoured at £6-8m) can't see us goining for Gruijic.

Have seen the name on here before but don't really know anything else about him. If we are looking at a GK though it's a position I'd like to se us going for a more experienced one though rather than following the "one for the future" route. 

Polish League goalkeeper of the season in 2014-15 (6 years ago!). 152 appearances in the Ekstraklasa and Serie A since making his professional debut 7 years ago. Older than Donnarumma and Dortmund's new first choice goalkeeper Gregor Kobel. Experienced enough for me. Also:

https://www.violanation.com/special-features/2021/6/2/22463766/fiorentina-2020-2021-end-of-year-grades-goalkeepers-bartlomiej-dragowski-pietro-terracciano

10 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Polish League goalkeeper of the season in 2014-15 (6 years ago!). 152 appearances in the Ekstraklasa and Serie A since making his professional debut 7 years ago. Older than Donnarumma and Dortmund's new first choice goalkeeper Gregor Kobel. Experienced enough for me. Also:

https://www.violanation.com/special-features/2021/6/2/22463766/fiorentina-2020-2021-end-of-year-grades-goalkeepers-bartlomiej-dragowski-pietro-terracciano

Fair enough. Looks pretty impressive from that and fairly intimidating ! 

Surprised that the article you link suggests €15m . Whether we could scape that with other areas to be addressed is another matter of course.

Edited by Badger

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Fair enough. Looks pretty impressive from that and fairly intimidating ! 

Surprised that the article you link suggests €15m . Whether we could scape that with other areas to be addressed is another matter of course.

I was surprised too, but that's because until I read that I thought he would cost more so that price tag makes the link more believable for me, Ralph said our signings would be around £10m (not max £10m), I would consider €15m to meet that criteria. The way I see it goalkeeper and left back should be our 2 top priorities, Dragowski and Perraud would be a good start to the Summer.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Dragowski is very good and has a great beard. He's probably more like Boruc in style if you want to compare him to any of our keepers.

Obligatory youtube clip with terrible music here

https://youtu.be/LwHytLvcmhE

Boruc is the best keeper we've had since promotion IMO so would be happy if he's similar to him.

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Yes please. Anyone know if this Nick chap is reliable?

We’ve been linked with him for a few windows. Depends on getting rid of at least one of the other clowns though 

8 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I m sounding like a broken record but Saints never learn.

Sell when his stock is high. They should have done the same thing last season with Forster.

Moi’s stock has never been higher than over the last 3 seasons so why try him out when we all know deep down he won t make it?

Besides after this season he will only have one year left on his deal making him worth nothing if he is shit and next to nothing even if he shines as we won t get a huge transfer fee for him with 12 months left.

So what s the point? None whatsoever, get what you can for him and move on.

no one is offering any money for him. Failed premier league signings on premier league wages are not in great demand. Who can afford their wages never mind a transfer fee and the wages? Certainly not teams in Norway who are the ones that would have seen the best of him. Loaning him out paying a percentage of his wages is pretty much the best we can expect. I think we are trying to entice Celtic to sign him by saying we won't loan him. Its a bluff.

4 hours ago, saintrich said:

Yeah I saw it say on the BBC gossip column this morning that he is available for £12m. Would be a fairly low-risk signing in a window that we may have to take some risks in other positions.

it really annoys me that Liverpool get such large sums for their failed signings. I know their standard/quality is higher, and Ings proves they do have some players worth signing, but the vast majority are just not good enough yet they still get tens of millions for them. 

1 hour ago, Cartman said:

I was surprised too, but that's because until I read that I thought he would cost more so that price tag makes the link more believable for me, Ralph said our signings would be around £10m (not max £10m), I would consider €15m to meet that criteria. The way I see it goalkeeper and left back should be our 2 top priorities, Dragowski and Perraud would be a good start to the Summer.

honestly don't see how we can sign another keeper until we get one or two off our wage bill permanently. Who is signing one of our three?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

honestly don't see how we can sign another keeper until we get one or two off our wage bill permanently. Who is signing one of our three?

FF and AMc are out of contract next summer and I think the club knows the best case for either would be a season long loan with wages covered.

Gunn it may be possible to sell but loan with a view to buy surely more realistic.

Surely we see that next summer we would need to buy a #1 and arent going to have sold a keeper to fund that?

Therefore potentially we could go for a keeper this summer if a good opportunity came up but we would need to loan out Gunn and one of the others.

Given Dragovic is a starting GK in Serie A then surely the fee needed would be too high for us.

Overall I just don't see it. GK revolution surely coming next summer.

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

it really annoys me that Liverpool get such large sums for their failed signings. I know their standard/quality is higher, and Ings proves they do have some players worth signing, but the vast majority are just not good enough yet they still get tens of millions for them. 

That s just the position in the football food chain

Be very surprised if Dragowski lands with us. Dortmund were reportedly interested last week before opting for Gregor Kopel instead. Some Dortmund fans were not best pleased. Can imagine Dragowski having much bigger clubs interested in him. 

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

FF and AMc are out of contract next summer and I think the club knows the best case for either would be a season long loan with wages covered.

Gunn it may be possible to sell but loan with a view to buy surely more realistic.

Surely we see that next summer we would need to buy a #1 and arent going to have sold a keeper to fund that?

Therefore potentially we could go for a keeper this summer if a good opportunity came up but we would need to loan out Gunn and one of the others.

Given Dragovic is a starting GK in Serie A then surely the fee needed would be too high for us.

Overall I just don't see it. GK revolution surely coming next summer.

He's also not that good with his feet apparently, which I thought was one of our things we think it important:

https://www.violanation.com/fiorentina-transfer-rumors-news-reports/2021/5/28/22457590/fiorentina-bartlomiej-dragowski-transfer-rumor-sell-gennaro-gattuso-goalkeeper

He does look like a great shotstopper though.

30 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He's also not that good with his feet apparently, which I thought was one of our things we think it important:

https://www.violanation.com/fiorentina-transfer-rumors-news-reports/2021/5/28/22457590/fiorentina-bartlomiej-dragowski-transfer-rumor-sell-gennaro-gattuso-goalkeeper

None of our current crop are any good with the ball at their feet anyway, so if we got someone who can actually make some saves too that would be a major upgrade.

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

With our budget there'll have to be compromises sadly. If he's a better shot stopper than we have currently, and no worse with his feet, that's an upgrade I'd take. An improvement with his feet would be a bonus. 

There are much better keepers with their feet in Serie A and La Liga.

Our goalkeeping scouts better be top notch this time as we can t afford another goalkeeping failed signing.

We know Ralph likes keepers with good distribution so let s at least try to get one in ffs

So we now should be focusing on distribution when it comes to targeting keepers as opposed to the basics of what they're supposed to do - shot stopping, commanding their area, taking crosses, instructing the defence? They could ping passes like Beckham but wont be much use to us if they cant keep the ball out 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

So we now should be focusing on distribution when it comes to targeting keepers as opposed to the basics of what they're supposed to do - shot stopping, commanding their area, taking crosses, instructing the defence? They could ping passes like Beckham but wont be much use to us if they cant keep the ball out 🤷🏽‍♂️

So true!

27 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Apparently Matheus Pereira available for just £15m. I'd love us to be all over that but assume we'd get outwaged by almost every other team in the league.

Absolute bargain if true. But seems very low...

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Thankfully Bournemouth aren’t in the Prem anymore! 🤪

Just turned on the internet for the first time all evening and I see Villa have had a bid for Buendia accepted. How nice would it be if, just once, we could make headlines for a surprise expensive signing! Buendia is class though. I’ll miss him at Norwich. (Wife’s team that I loosely follow.)

9 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Whenever a discussion goes to whether a goalkeeper's good with their feet, I think of this: 

Always seemed to me that encouraging a GK to play with the ball at his feet is an invitation to a clusterfuck (Gunn v Huddersfield was another one, McCarthy v Arsenal, and FF's 'air kick' at Palace, away from us even Allison for Liverpool this season). But in the Pep inspired era it seems something most managers are now committed to.

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

Always seemed to me that encouraging a GK to play with the ball at his feet is an invitation to a clusterfuck (Gunn v Huddersfield was another one, McCarthy v Arsenal, and FF's 'air kick' at Palace, away from us even Allison for Liverpool this season). But in the Pep inspired era it seems something most managers are now committed to.

The first thing is when you're trying to force keepers to play with their feet who simply aren't good at it, it can be a recipe for disaster.

The second point is it's a high risk strategy, so even goalkeepers who are good at it will make occasional mistakes and look very stupid. But those rare instances are still outweighed by the benefits to a team's attacking play of drawing the opposition forward

I judge keepers more on how they deal with crosses and how good off their line they are, rather than their ability to hit Glenn Hoddle passes.

The backpass rule meant a keepers ability to control a ball and kick was more important.  I do think the Guardiola way of keeping is taking it too far though.  For me, if a keeper can play a 20 yard pass, that’s enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Appy said:

I find it unlikely but also clubs don't often chase players they haven't been led to believe there is a chance of a deal - either from the club, the player, or people connected to both.

7 minutes ago, Appy said:

Villa have been paying £33m+ for Championshhip players, so any fee for our 26 year old Premier League captain with 4 years left on his contract will be huge.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Villa have been paying £33m+ for Championshhip players, so any fee for our 26 year old Premier League captain with 3 years left on his contract will be huge.

… they will have the money if they sell Grealish (& they will probably have it even if they don't sell him).

As ever, it will come down to what the player wants to do.

And if JWP is going to move then he is probably at his peak about now.

I would think £40m or so would make the club think...but it would be an awful message for the fans to sell him to a non top 6 club.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

No chance. England international, just signed a long term contract, still just 26, our captain. He'd be £60m atleast and they don't have that sort of money to drop on one player. 

They do if they sell Grealish which looks likely 

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

As ever, it will come down to what the player wants to do.

And if JWP is going to move then he is probably at his peak about now.

I would think £40m or so would make the club think...but it would be an awful message for the fans to sell him to a non top 6 club.

If (big if) they can keep Grealish, Villa are going to be a very decent side next season. Buendia a £30m is a great signing for them. 

Id actually go as far as saying Buendia is a very very good replacement for Grealish. 

Villa would only have a chance of signing JWP had we been relegated.

He wouldn't leave us for a club at the level we are trying to chase. If he does leave it'll be a Liverpool, Spurs, Utd sort of move. In our benefit he's not quite at the level for those clubs. Unless we get relegated, he's probably going to be a Mark Noble type for us.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Appy said:

Bye then James

If we get 60-70m i seriously would present that option and leave Ralph make a decision.

getting that sort of money would allow us to dip in a depreciated market and bring in the right sort of players to mould Ralph s style.

I would tell Villa yes, if JWP wants to go there then great and before making the deal official, I would use the 70m loan and bring it 2-3 players before we are quoted horrific prices as clubs would know we have money to spend.

There are so many gems out there available for littler  money, we just have to get our scouting right so let s at least make a push for it.

Whilst we are at it, I would sell Vestergaard too, and bring in a leader at center back to get this defense organized.

Sell 2 keepers out of 3. Get a new number one in who can at least influence our matches in a good way.

And if Ings doesn t want to sign sell him too.

It ll be a make or break season but at least gives the opportunity of starting afresh and stop going sideways as we have been in the last 4-5 years.

I believe JWP wants the "100 Full 90mins" for Saints.

He is on something close to 80 at the moment so I don't see him going in this window. (IMO that is why he came home early from the last England games and why Ralph moved him to RB in the last match when he wanted to look Romeu and Diallo together in a central role)

He may even be aiming for Bridge's 107 "Full 90mins" record.   

On 31/05/2021 at 08:15, Matthew Le God said:

How did he manage to pick up so many Premier League points in 2020 then? 5th highest in calendar year!

Or finish 2nd and 6th in a major league like the Bundesliga with a newly promoted club?

Sure we haven't been good in 2021, but let's not write him off as tactically inept when he has previously shown he isn't.

I think Ralph’s plan A worked well for a time but now clubs have worked out how to counter it and (this has been said before) he hasn’t really got much else in his locker. Watching the likes of Bielsa this past season had opened my eyes just how flexible and adaptable you have to be to be successful in the PL and I just don’t have the confidence in Ralph I had 12 months ago. 

• Like 1