Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Not sure about that. Looked like a rabbit in headlights at times in the heart of that Fulham defence. If we went from Vestergaard to him we may aswell start packing for Championship football

I would agree, I didn't see anything particularly standout. Rough around the edges, quite rash, poor decision making. It was his partner who we should be after, if we had the money (Anderson).

48 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

When are we back for pre-season so i know when we would hope to have these transfers done by.

Also i cant remember where but i read  ityesterday but ralph was quoted as saying we will be busy in the transfer market and will have a good team next year !!!!

One of the lines I remember was we wanted 2 in early (Theo & a left back?) and then we would do others later into the window when other options become available. 

35 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

One of the lines I remember was we wanted 2 in early (Theo & a left back?) and then we would do others later into the window when other options become available. 

Walcott hardly counts as a "new" signing though - don't forget we signed him to help the youngsters

34 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Signing Theo and a LB helps us to stand still vs last season.

The success of the window ultimately depends on what happens with Ings, and our power position on that is weak.

I suspect in the end the only net addition will be a backup loan full back, and likely most will be left debating whether our squad is actually weaker overall given the likely departures (Ings almost certainly) that we will struggle to replace with anywhere near the same quality.

I may be wrong of course.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

When are we back for pre-season so i know when we would hope to have these transfers done by.

Also i cant remember where but i read  ityesterday but ralph was quoted as saying we will be busy in the transfer market and will have a good team next year !!!!

he says that every transfer window. Remember he's been trying to strengthen the full back positions since December 2019 and we're weaker there now than then.

Edited by Turkish

Anyone seen this ?

Southampton are looking to sign Benfica full-back Nuno Tavares with Wolverhampton Wanderers’ forgotten man Ruben Vinagre lined up as his replacement at the Primeira Liga giants, as reported by A Bola.

He can play both sides apparently

Edited by Convict Colony

18 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

6ft tall so hopefully passes the height required by this forum for a fullback.

If anything he is too tall - which will impact negatively on his balance and agility. Fortunately our forum's black spot experts have already demonstrated 5'10 is the required height for top class full backs.

Edited by Saint86

1 minute ago, ozzmeister said:

Two players I would love to see who Ralph also knows - Lookman and Sabitzer - the latter is class and if you believe the BBC gossip column available for around 15mill. Come on Saints - make it happen!

We've got two hopes of signing Sabitzer and sadly Bob Hope is dead. 

22 minutes ago, TWar said:

Apparently appallingly bad, says fans on reddit. I guess could be our back up on both sides if we could sign him very cheap but Perraud needs to be first choice.

at 21 I would hope that he hits the "under 10 million and one to develop", but how you get that past the Work Permit rules is the unknown.

15 minutes ago, Nolan said:

at 21 I would hope that he hits the "under 10 million and one to develop", but how you get that past the Work Permit rules is the unknown.

young, hungry and guarenteed to improve, yes?

48 minutes ago, ozzmeister said:

Two players I would love to see who Ralph also knows - Lookman and Sabitzer - the latter is class and if you believe the BBC gossip column available for around 15mill. Come on Saints - make it happen!

Think if he comes to the Premier League, Sabitzer will end up at Spurs / Arsenal. Quality player.

53 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If anything he is too tall - which will impact negatively on his balance and agility. Fortunately our forum's black spot experts have already demonstrated 5'10 is the required height for top class full backs.

You don’t really need to be an expert to think that having a 5’7 full back both sides could prove problematic defending the back post. 

As he wasn’t flavour of the month, it was something that was regularly pointed at Cedric as a criticism. 

23 minutes ago, SKD said:

You don’t really need to be an expert to think that having a 5’7 full back both sides could prove problematic defending the back post. 

As he wasn’t flavour of the month, it was something that was regularly pointed at Cedric as a criticism. 

I think it was him being shit which drew most criticism

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ozzmeister said:

Age 27, outside of our profile and age "to improve" !

Personally would like to see some experienced players brought in as well as those to develop.

19 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

£5m with possibility of rising to £10m with clauses, good deal really

One down, about six others to go.

I read it was only £2.5M down, another £2.5M at a later date (guaranteed), plus up to £4.5M in dependent add-ons.

So we're walking away today with just £2.5M. It helps, but it's not a lot for this window,

27 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I read it was only £2.5M down, another £2.5M at a later date (guaranteed), plus up to £4.5M in dependent add-ons.

So we're walking away today with just £2.5M. It helps, but it's not a lot for this window,

Frees up wages for a loan.  It all helps.

31 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Money guaranteed at a later date for Gunn can still be structured into any buys Saints make this summer.

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We really need to move on from the “young and will improve” requirement.

We need experience and someone that will make an instant difference.

Sabitzer will end up at Spurs.

Lookman I’d take.

Taveres was highly tipped but had a mixed season.

Lookman is a talent.  Takes an occasional dodgy pen, too, so should be perfect for us.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 11:07, Saint Garrett said:

I'd like to see us signing a few on loan where we have the option of signing next summer...these are all on the periphery of the "big 6" squads...not saying they're all signable or we'd want them, but sure some of them could do a job for us and would fit.

• Abraham
  • Hudson Odoi
  • Gilmour
  • Loftus Cheek
  • Barkley
  • Batshuiyi
  • Guehi
  • Romero
  • Tuanzebe
  • Phil Jones
  • Brandon Williams
  • Dan James
  • Van De Beek
  • Amad Diallo
  • Reiss Nelson
  • Nketiah
  • Martinelli
  • Neco Williams
  • Tsimikas
  • Rhys Williams
  • Curtis Jones
  • Shaqiri
  • Origi
  • Nmecha
  • Ake
  • Liam Delap
  • Tanganga
  • Winks
  • Dier
  • Alli

The ones on that list that I'd like to sign permanently I doubt many of those clubs would let them leave or the fees would be high and would want to go to bigger clubs, like Abraham, Gilmour, Hudson-Odoi, Williams, Curtis Jones, Van De Beek.

The others we could likely sign I wouldn't want like Jones, Dier, Winks, Batshuiyi, Loftus-Cheek, Barkely, Shaqiri etc. 

A lot of those players there have either not really got into teams hardly better than us (like Winks struggling to get into a meh Spurs team carried by Kane) or have not done much on loan (Batshuiyi or Loftus Cheek). 

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lookman is a talent.  Takes an occasional dodgy pen, too, so should be perfect for us.

Blimey, McCarthy might make a penalty save in training then! Get him on the bus/train/boat/pedalo/scooter/whatever term we use currently...

I think it’s a shame it’s got to the point where our academy isn’t producing guaranteed first team talent. Players in the mould of Lookman should be part of our production line in the hope establishing themselves as regulars, rather than shelling out on a player who’s been passed around a few times in the past five years. 

Would love us to sell McCarthy. He fills me with no confidence. Never known a keeper to make himself look smaller when in a one on one situation.

I’d be happy for Vestergaard to go for the right price.

Keep Ings, he’s worth more to the club in goals than money.

Get rid of the deadwood however possible in Lemina, Hoedt, Gunn etc. Good to see we started with the likes of Sims and Hesketh going. They were never going to make the grade.

• Like 2

Lookman had elite chance creation stats last season. 0.13 expected assists per 90, better than anyone we have in our team, 1.92 chances created per 90 again better than anyone we have.

0.2 xG per 90 too which is better than anyone in our side except Ings, Adams, and Minimino.

Would be a cracking buy, still only 23 and Ralph has worked with him in his best ever season so clearly knows how to get a tune out of him.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Lookman had elite chance creation stats last season. 0.13 expected assists per 90, better than anyone we have in our team, 1.92 chances created per 90 again better than anyone we have.

0.2 xG per 90 too which is better than anyone in our side except Ings, Adams, and Minimino.

Would be a cracking buy, still only 23 and Ralph has worked with him in his best ever season so clearly knows how to get a tune out of him.

A perfect example of when stats back up my eyes. Cheers for posting them.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

He always seemed a big threat when I watched Fulham. I’d lost interest in him whilst he was at Everton but his spell at Fulham showed he’s definitely good enough at this level. 

10 minutes ago, waylander said:

Didn't exactly set Craven Cottage on fire last season

Hasnt exactly set anywhere alight anywhere he's been but seems to have a massive reputation because everyone says he's good. #emperorsnewclothes

Another fun Lookman fact is not only is he 5th in the league for successful take-ons by a midfielder (behind ASM, Traore, Anguissa and Ndombele), he is also the 12th most fouled player in the premier league last season. Recipe for winning more JWP free kicks.

Edited by TWar

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hasnt exactly set anywhere alight anywhere he's been but seems to have a massive reputation because everyone says he's good. #emperorsnewclothes

He had a half decent season at Hipster club RB Leipzig so gets the reputation of being better than he is. A bit like a certain manager...

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

He had a half decent season at Hipster club RB Leipzig so gets the reputation of being better than he is. A bit like a certain manager...

RBL aren't a hipster club, they are widely despised by the football community for weaselling their way around 50+1. They are like the German MK Dons in their level of ire.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TWar said:

Another fun Lookman fact is not only is he 5th in the league for successful take-ons by a midfielder (behind ASM, Traore, Anguissa and Ndombele), he is also the 12th most fouled player in the premier league last season. Recipe for winning more JWP free kicks.

"fun fact" is a bit of a stretch. 

• Haha 1

Is it just me or can anyone else see Saints selling Ward-Prowse for £30M plus and replacing him with Grimes at £8M or thereabouts.  I certainly think they are thinking about it or doing something similar.  Maybe someone other than Grimes.

I can see Ings going as well - but I don't know how we would replace his goals. Would Adam Armstrong be good enough if we can get him? I think Adams will get better and score more but we will need another goal scorer.

And I can't help thinking we should have kept Targett (Villa's player's player of the season), Reed (Leeds interested by all accounts) and Sims (maybe even Hesketh too) and given them the time and the game time to develop in to premier league regulars.

Replacing Reed with Diallo cost us money - £5-7M or something like that - and I am not sure the team was any better for it.  Targett would be our first choice left back now - and it looks like we'll have to spend more than we sold him for to replace both him and Bertrand.  

And  would having Sims and Hesketh be any worse on the left than Redmond, Djeneppo or Minamino?

14 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Is it just me or can anyone else see Saints selling Ward-Prowse for £30M plus and replacing him with Grimes at £8M or thereabouts.  I certainly think they are thinking about it or doing something similar.  Maybe someone other than Grimes.

I can see Ings going as well - but I don't know how we would replace his goals. Would Adam Armstrong be good enough if we can get him? I think Adams will get better and score more but we will need another goal scorer.

And I can't help thinking we should have kept Targett (Villa's player's player of the season), Reed (Leeds interested by all accounts) and Sims (maybe even Hesketh too) and given them the time and the game time to develop in to premier league regulars.

Replacing Reed with Diallo cost us money - £5-7M or something like that - and I am not sure the team was any better for it.  Targett would be our first choice left back now - and it looks like we'll have to spend more than we sold him for to replace both him and Bertrand.  

And  would having Sims and Hesketh be any worse on the left than Redmond, Djeneppo or Minamino?

I’d comfortably go out on a limb and suggest if we sell JWP and Ings we’ll be relegated regardless of incomings

As for Targett, he has been fantastic this year for Villa but never looked like pulling those performances for us, even with game time. Plus we had Bertrand in his way, 20m was good money at the time

Reed, Sims, Hesketh were never good enough. Reed didn’t get going this year, despite being in a side that predominantly defended his stats aren’t groundbreaking there. Diallo is a better player technically. Sims is a pace merchant with nothing to offer and Hesketh is made of glass. Im not hugely impressed with Taki... but he’s better than both

Edited by Smirking_Saint

27 minutes ago, TWar said:

RBL aren't a hipster club, they are widely despised by the football community for weaselling their way around 50+1. They are like the German MK Dons in their level of ire.

Yes, I know, but hipster athletic type readers seem to rim everything they / RB clubs do. 

58 minutes ago, TWar said:

He tore Liverpool to pieces in the 1-1 they had, was the best player on the pitch but 4 goals and 4 assists in 31 starts, albeit for a bad team, shows he's not very consistent.

Certainly plenty of talent and pace, an exciting player to watch but saw him in some other games and he went completely missing. 

Probably worth a gamble depending on fee but not the most clearest upgrade on the already inconsistent set of wingers we have. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yes, I know, but hipster athletic type readers seem to rim everything they / RB clubs do. 

The RB clubs have an excellent model, they do excellent scouting, develop young players AND coaches, play an attacking pressing style across most of their teams and Leipzig in particular have punched well above their weight. I am not sure why appreciating a well run football club that is succesfful without needing to splash millions on wages and transfer fees is 'hipster'. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

Well they are a good side which has made the CL four out of the last six years and made the semi finals in 2019/20. They also finished second in the German league this season, as well as 2016/17 and third in 2018/19 and 2019/20.  

They are also, however, a new side therefore people who haven't updated their knowledge of football in the last 20 years will struggle a bit to recognise them for their current size or relevance as they didn't exist before 2009. I guess that's why you see them as a bit "hipster", most people just discuss them a lot because they are quite good and a relevant side in Europe.

Edited by TWar

18 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Well the fact we've released Sims suggests it probably is worse....

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

The RB clubs have an excellent model, they do excellent scouting, develop young players AND coaches, play an attacking pressing style across most of their teams and Leipzig in particular have punched well above their weight. I am not sure why appreciating a well run football club that is succesfful without needing to splash millions on wages and transfer fees is 'hipster'. 

Well said. 

22 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Absolutely, Redmond tears lower league sides apart as seen against Bournemouth, Pompey, ect. he just isn't up to prem standards. Minimino was quality in the Austrian league and Djenepo was in the Belguim league.

Hesketh failed to impress in league 2 and Sims in league 1, much lower standard leagues than those mentioned above.