Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

12 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

He tore Liverpool to pieces in the 1-1 they had, was the best player on the pitch but 4 goals and 4 assists in 31 starts, albeit for a bad team, shows he's not very consistent.

Certainly plenty of talent and pace, an exciting player to watch but saw him in some other games and he went completely missing. 

Probably worth a gamble depending on fee but not the most clearest upgrade on the already inconsistent set of wingers we have. 

It's not great, but as you say it is for a pretty poor team who don't see a lot of the ball. Also he creates a lot of chances, but they aren't finished particularly well by the people Fulham had up top.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

It's not great, but as you say it is for a pretty poor team who don't see a lot of the ball. Also he creates a lot of chances, but they aren't finished particularly well by the people Fulham had up top.

True, though if we lose Ings we might be lacking some clinical finishers as well.

As a loan to buy maybe, maybe if we also shipped out one of Redmond or Djenepo I think there is a chance he might offer more than either of those two, but I do think with the possible loss of Ings we might need more goals from those areas, plus I still feel we need a clever playmaker type as we have lots of the sort of run at people players for those positions and Lookman would be similar. 

4 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

I read it was only £2.5M down, another £2.5M at a later date (guaranteed), plus up to £4.5M in dependent add-ons.

So we're walking away today with just £2.5M. It helps, but it's not a lot for this window,

As long as the £5m is guaranteed, it is the amount we have to work with, not £2.5m. Transfers are not generally transacted with cash in hand (unless your name is 'Arry). Obviously the unlikely add ons are a different matter. 

30 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

As long as the £5m is guaranteed, it is the amount we have to work with, not £2.5m. Transfers are not generally transacted with cash in hand (unless your name is 'Arry). Obviously the unlikely add ons are a different matter. 

Yeah it only really hurts us if we are trying to pay a release clause as those are expected up front mostly.

Going off what I'm currently expecting to happen; Vestergaard leaves, Ings stays without renewing, Perraud & Williams both come in and Elyounoussi/Long both return from loan.

spacer.png

How many further additions do you think this needs?

Gunn looks to be a good sale. I don't think there's a hope in hell we buy another keeper with Forster/McCarthy being two of our highest earners as it is. (Bartłomiej Drągowski/Sergio Romero)

You'd assume/hope we'd definitely replace Vestergaard. (Tosin Adarabioyo/Marc Guéhi)

I find Ralph's comments about DM not being a priority quite strange, especially seeing as Diallo/JWP didn't work at all. Romeu was our back-up DM and I think you'd be reaching to say he's improved enough to become the starting one, we've just dropped off in quality. I'd feel a little worried going into another campaign with those four being our only central options. (Thomas Delaney)

There's a definite chance that Obafemi and Long both leave as well, which would make the need for a third striker even more obvious. (Josh King/Adam Armstrong) Ralph also clearly felt the need to strengthen the wide positions mid-campaign by bringing in Minamino, so unless he's happy with Elyounoussi filling this slot, this could be another position to improve on. (Ademola Lookman)

Looking at the squad above, it 100% needs another CB. Is that the bare minimum we can get away with this summer seeing as that seems to be the strategy? I'd personally be unhappy without another DM and ST, bringing the total incomings up to an optimistic 5.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ozzmeister said:

Two players I would love to see who Ralph also knows - Lookman and Sabitzer - the latter is class and if you believe the BBC gossip column available for around 15mill. Come on Saints - make it happen!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're limited to just two domestic loans - but overseas loans don't count towards that. 

So Lookman from Leipzig on a loan would be a fairly painless roll of the dice without wasting a domestic loan slot. He's decent. Bit of a pea heart, but who isn't these days?

10 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Going off what I'm currently expecting to happen; Vestergaard leaves, Ings stays without renewing, Perraud & Williams both come in and Elyounoussi/Long both return from loan.

spacer.png

Gunn looks to be a good sale. I don't think there's a hope in hell we buy another keeper with Forster/McCarthy being two of our highest earners as it is. (Bartłomiej Drągowski/Sergio Romero)

You'd assume/hope we'd definitely replace Vestergaard. (Tosin Adarabioyo/Marc Guéhi)

I find Ralph's comments about DM not being a priority quite strange, especially seeing as Diallo/JWP didn't work at all. Romeu was our back-up DM and I think you'd be reaching to say he's improved enough to become the starting one, we've just dropped off in quality. I'd feel a little worried going into another campaign with those four being our only central options. (Thomas Delaney)

There's a definite chance that Obafemi and Long both leave as well, which would make the need for a third striker even more obvious. (Josh King/Adam Armstrong) Ralph also clearly felt the need to strengthen the wide positions mid-campaign by bringing in Minamino, so unless he's happy with Elyounoussi filling this slot, this could be another position to improve on. (Ademola Lookman)

Looking at the squad above, it 100% needs another CB. Is that the bare minimum we can get away with this summer seeing as that seems to be the strategy? I'd personally be unhappy without another DM and ST, bringing the total incomings up to an optimistic 5.

Thats not the worst starting 11 to be honest, could do with a better keeper and left attacking mid but it looks decent. Walcott or Elyounoussi probably start over Tella in midfield as he is a lot better up top.

Depth is awful, we need an extra CB, fullback, and ideally attacking mid as Tella should be a forward and Armstrong is our fill in 4th at center mid. And that is just to make us have two players in every position, the quality of some of our depth options ie Stephens, Long, ect is very poor.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Thats not the worst starting 11 to be honest, could do with a better keeper and left attacking mid but it looks decent. Walcott or Elyounoussi probably start over Tella in midfield as he is a lot better up top.

Depth is awful, we need an extra CB, fullback, and ideally attacking mid as Tella should be a forward and Armstrong is our fill in 4th at center mid. And that is just to make us have two players in every position, the quality of some of our depth options ie Stephens, Long, ect is very poor.

I was a little unsure as to where to put Tella. I think most Saints fans would agree we want him to start a lot more next season, but if Ings stays I doubt there’s anybody who wants to break up Ings/Adams up top. I wonder if his immediate future is back-up to the strikers or moved to the wing.

Completely agree though, our depth is frighteningly bad in some areas.

Assumptions being Vestergaard, Gunn go along with either Forster or McCarthy and Ings stays. Didn't include fringe or unwanted players Long, Obafemi, Smallbone, Valery, Vokins, Nlundulu, Lewis, Hoedt, Elyounoussi and Lemina.

Having 2 players per position doesn't necessarily mean having 22 players as long as some players can cover more than 1 position to a good standard. So I would say the bare minimum needed is 5 new players. Starting GK, LB and AM (the AM should ideally be someone who can be relied upon to take the goalscoring burden off Ings) along with a couple of versatile players for depth at the back and 6.

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Assumptions being Vestergaard, Gunn go along with either Forster or McCarthy and Ings stays. Didn't include fringe or unwanted players Long, Obafemi, Smallbone, Valery, Vokins, Nlundulu, Lewis, Hoedt, Elyounoussi and Lemina.

Having 2 players per position doesn't necessarily mean having 22 players as long as some players can cover more than 1 position to a good standard. So I would say the bare minimum needed is 5 new players. Starting GK, LB and AM (the AM should ideally be someone who can be relied upon to take the goalscoring burden off Ings) along with a couple of versatile players for depth at the back and 6.

spacer.png

We need a new cb. Our defence was absolutely shocking this season. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We need a new cb. Our defence was absolutely shocking this season. 

Agree but also think Ralph is wrong about not needing a 6. Look at how little screening the back 4 received after Romeu did ankle at Leeds. Diallo will end up being a box to box midfielder and JWP want to see further forward which is certainly where Stu’s strengths are. Ideally move on either McC or Gunn for a new first choice keeper but in danger of getting into fantasy realms. 

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

spacer.png

I would want sufficient additions to ensure that the following never feature on a match day for us ever again:

Elyonoussi - not good enough, never will be. People need to stop even entertaining the thought that he will ever be a sensible option. He's shit.

Redmond - just totally had enough of him, and needs to move on for his own sake imho

Long - only ever been good at causing a nuisance with his pace, now too old to do that, offers us nothing

And such that the following are not starters:

Bednarek - he's ok but we need better as a first choice

McCarthy and/or Forster - either will do as back up but we quite clearly need to shift one out

Please, please, please let me get what I want, lord knows it would be the first time.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 2

On 08/06/2021 at 15:37, egg said:

Agreed. He has all sorts of ability and its easy to see why he signed him. Indeed, if he'd applied himself we'd all be sat here wandering when a big club would be snapping him up. It's a real shame how this one went. 

Did any of you watch him play this season? He was the committed player we all Wanted! Fulum fans were happy with his effort. Why regurgitate old information that has obviously changed. Is he good enough for Ralf, who knows  but he put a good shift in last season, maybe he has realized what he needs to do to make a mark on this League! ............oh ya, he's shite, sorry was using my brain earlier. Shite shite shite.....

2 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Did any of you watch him play this season? He was the committed player we all Wanted! Fulum fans were happy with his effort. Why regurgitate old information that has obviously changed. Is he good enough for Ralf, who knows  but he put a good shift in last season, maybe he has realized what he needs to do to make a mark on this League! ............oh ya, he's shite, sorry was using my brain earlier. Shite shite shite.....

To be fair I haven't seem him at all this season, but saying he wasn't committed when he played for us is justified. I have never seen a more abject performance than his in that semi final. If Ralph can get him playing to his abilities, we'll have a great player, but I suspect he's burned his bridges and I can't see how he could force his way into our starting eleven. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour until Leicester scored nine times and I got f*cking soaked. 

When Man United scored their 6th I said stop me if you think you’ve heard this one before.

https://www.lematin.ch/story/ca-bouge-du-cote-du-lausanne-sport-183407787498

Another link to Evann Guessand who were were linked with in May.

Young striker on loan as Lausanne from Nice but set to be sold this summer as contract is expiring.

From a quick YT he definitely looks interesting.

French market being targetted by the PL as lots of clubs suffering financially - something Semmens hinted at in the fans forum.

Edited by Dusic

I'd like to see us target Gazzaniga on a free. He's improved significantly since he was last here and at 29 is at a good age for a keeper. Whenever he came in for Lloris he seemed to do a good job and I think he would prove to be a decent free signing considering the limited transfer funds we will have to play with.

If we can get rid of Forster this summer and have McCarthy and Gazzaniga for this season, and then next summer we can assess McCarthy's situation to see if we either extend or release with a view to prioritising that position in the market

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://www.lematin.ch/story/ca-bouge-du-cote-du-lausanne-sport-183407787498

Another link to Evann Guessand who were were linked with in May.

Young striker on loan as Lausanne from Nice but set to be sold this summer as contract is expiring.

From a quick YT he definitely looks interesting.

French market being targetted by the PL as lots of clubs suffering financially - something Semmens hinted at in the fans forum.

He won t get a work permit

6 hours ago, Verbal Kint said:

I'd like to see us target Gazzaniga on a free. He's improved significantly since he was last here and at 29 is at a good age for a keeper. Whenever he came in for Lloris he seemed to do a good job and I think he would prove to be a decent free signing considering the limited transfer funds we will have to play with.

If we can get rid of Forster this summer and have McCarthy and Gazzaniga for this season, and then next summer we can assess McCarthy's situation to see if we either extend or release with a view to prioritising that position in the market

He fell behind Joe Hart in Tottenham’s goalkeeper pecking order, not sure he’s the answer to our goalkeeper problems. Would be much of the same as Forster and McCarthy, but with different limitations and another wage packet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Romeu was our back-up DM and I think you'd be reaching to say he's improved enough to become the starting one, we've just dropped off in quality.

not sure I agree with you here. Romeu was outstanding last season before the injury and certainly is a starter.

Diallo (who looks a really good player to me) now provides some much needed competition and cover.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Would he need one if we were to sign him and then loan him out again?

You can t do that.

If you buy him irrespective of if he goes out on loan, he needs to respect the criteria set based on number of games he has played in top league.

Unfortunately these new brexit rules prevents us of taking a punt on a unknown player with high potential unless he already plays regularly.

Had brexit rules been in place back then, we wouldn t have been able to sign Bednarek for example, or Schneiderlin or youngsters like Valery or Jankewitz

8 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

All I keep seeing on various Villa pages that for some unknown reason keep popping up on my FB feed is JWP joining them. Can't see him leaving myself and if he did I think it would be to a bigger club than Villa!

Have a look on their forum, their JWP thread is almost 50 pages long! Those deluded fuckwits have whipped themselves into a frenzy over a single piece of transfer speculation bollocks from a few days ago, they are almost as deranged as the dugout pioneers with their list of firsts. The bloke with the RNZAF avatar seems to be the only sane one there.

20 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

All I keep seeing on various Villa pages that for some unknown reason keep popping up on my FB feed is JWP joining them. Can't see him leaving myself and if he did I think it would be to a bigger club than Villa!

I don't know but there is NO WAY in any universe, JWP is leaving us, his boyhood club to join Aston fucking Villa.

Top 6 maybe, but not a chance villa.

Edited by JustinSFC

48 minutes ago, Cartman said:

The bloke with the RNZAF avatar seems to be the only sane one there.

He is getting smashed...but he is right, all on the rumour of one link. Villa fans think they are some emerging superpower by the talk of their fans on there, big question - did they have the first dugouts?

Edited by skintsaint

22 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Wonder why we take fecking ages to sign a player...who we are supposedly in contact with. Would take that report with a pinch of salt.

who is the say that we don't take the same amount of time as everyone else? In the end, who cares how long it takes, all that matters is hw good they are. VVD took ages to complete for example

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

He is getting smashed...but he is right, all on the rumour of one link. Villa fans think they are some emerging superpower by the talk of their fans on there, big question - did they have the first dugouts?

maybe not, but unlike Everton they've won the European cup. OK it was yonks ago, but the game goes in cycles and right now they seem to have the finds and will be progressing if they can retain Grealish. We cant say the same thing.

33 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Ridiculous. Sounds like we have reached agreement with the player and possibly Brest too, but that either the player or the club don't want the deal to go through yet, in case there are better bids or personal terms incoming from another party.

Our financial year ends in June, so maybe the club want to delay the official signings so it goes into the next fiscal accounts?

4 hours ago, Chez said:

not sure I agree with you here. Romeu was outstanding last season before the injury and certainly is a starter.

Diallo (who looks a really good player to me) now provides some much needed competition and cover.

Fully agree with this, and understand why Ralph says a DM is not a priority..... the centre of the pitch is probably our only position where we have starting quality AND depth..... 

If we have a tight budget, we need to focus elsewhere

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

In all fairness.... they do have the 3rd richest owner in the prem... and he seems happy to stick his hand in his pocket to an extent

Why is anyone surprised?

After the season we've just had, clubs like Manchester United are going to be reluctant to let their young talent come here, that's not even getting into trying to convince the actual player himself.

I said it a few weeks back, this summer window is going to be tough because we're skint and fucking shite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

Why is anyone surprised?

After the season we've just had, clubs like Manchester United are going to be reluctant to let their young talent come here, that's not even getting into trying to convince the actual player himself.

I said it a few weeks back, this summer window is going to be tough because we're skint and fucking shite.

If you are basing that on him going to Norwich then that is flawed as they are a newly promoted team.

If the story is true, do you rule out the possibility that Norwich can offer more gametime than us? Saints may view him as a backup fullback to Walker-Peters and another left back. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If you are basing that on him going to Norwich then that is flawed as they are a newly promoted team.

If the story is true, do you rule out the possibility that Norwich can offer more gametime than us? Saints may view him as a backup fullback to Walker-Peters and another left back. 

Back up to another left back?

Who? 

We haven't got one... Yet.