Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Alao highlights the difference that spending makes to league position.

In 5 transfers windows Ralph has signed 5 players on permanent deals:

Djenepo, Adams, KWP, Salisu and Diallo

In the last 4 windows Smith has been able to sign 14 on permanent deals: Douglas Luiz, Mings, Wesley, Targett, Konsa, Nakamba, Samatta, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Cash, Watkins, Traore, Sanson and Martinez

Villa, within 3 windows basically changed the whole of their team and improved from it, especially after the second summer where the success rate was higher.

Just shows that Ralph has certainly been hindered in trying to really change the fortunes of a team that struggled before he arrived.

If you really want to dramatically change fortunes then you need to sign good players.

Thing is they still look bang average without a certain mr Grealish

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure fans want to sell them, but maybe they are being pragmatic knowing as to where we are in the food chain and what makes good business sense when the club is run self sufficiently (gets no hand outs from the owner).  If you can only spend what you bring in, knowing when to sell to critical otherwise player see their contracts out, offering no money to spend on their replacement.  As a fan, its keep you best players, as someone considering the long term finances (not sure why we do that, but we do) its sell high, buy low.

Bonkers.

How will we be improve the side if we sell our 2 best players?

One way ticket to relegation.  Then we’ll really see what losing money is.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Because it is one of the only ways of overhauling the whole squad.

with our current transfer budget we are restricting our pool of available players where with JWP money we could massively upgrade it.

I m tired of standing still, if we even wait next summer to get rid of our deadwood, how are replacing them if we have no money to spend on transfers?

Selling Ings might not be a good idea as we might not get much for him so no point if it is only 15-20 M

You’re talking about getting rid of a solid 8/10 player, sometimes more.  What is the point?  So we can have more 6/10s?

8 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Bonkers.

How will we be improve the side if we sell our 2 best players?

One way ticket to relegation.  Then we’ll really see what losing money is.

Understood. I was playing devils advocate, but I am interested in the plan for next summer when Ings walks for free.

Not selling your best players and them going for nothing might also be seen as a one way to ticket to relegation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Understood. I was playing devils advocate, but I am interested in the plan for next summer when Ings walks for free.

Not selling your best players and them going for nothing might also be seen as a one way to ticket to relegation. 

You could be right.  But is a player with as many injury problems as Ings going to risk running down a contract?

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I don’t get how some supporters want us to sell Ings and JWP.

Madness.

This really

Incoming funds or not, I find it very strange that some fans are considering taking the money for Ings and JWP... who, in reality, are the only reason we probably survived over the last two seasons

I cannot see us replacing them adequately either TBH

Which is why Im firmly in the 'resist all offers for both' camp

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chez said:

the alternative to a revolution is a slow evolution. As one or two leave, fill those gaps with players that are as good or better than those leaving (and those at the club hopefully improving). Every signing needs to come off. That rarely happens.

The Ings situation is a nightmare really. We need his goals to stay up, but what do we do this time next year when he leaves and we still need his goals to stay up, but have £0 to spend on his replacement?

Fully agree with you letting him go on a free and needing to replace him and spending a transfer will leave us in a shit financially.

I prefer to sell him this summer, and get a replacement who at least we will have contracted for the next few years.

5 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

You could be right.  But is a player with as many injury problems as Ings going to risk running down a contract?

Good question. I think he will sit tight and wait for Spurs or whoever to sign him this summer and then yes, allow his contract to run down. I really don't see him signing another contract with us, but I've been wrong before.

29 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This really

Incoming funds or not, I find it very strange that some fans are considering taking the money for Ings and JWP... who, in reality, are the only reason we probably survived over the last two seasons

I cannot see us replacing them adequately either TBH

Which is why Im firmly in the 'resist all offers for both' camp

again, what happens next summer when Ings departs?

The `do not sell our best players' line is fine, and I don't want to see either player leave, but how do we buy a striker next summer and how do we pay the interest on this £70m loan? 

If you don't think we will replace Ings adequately with £20m, how do you expect that same management to replace him adequately with nothing to spend.

I don't think you should keep players no matter what. We had our chance to build a side that could challenge for CL but didn't do (pay) enough to keep Luke Shaw and it all unravelled. i struggle to see us doing that again unless three top class youth players come through at the same time. At this moment though, our players have a price, whereby their sale can ensure our long term prosperity. Not exactly sure what JWP's is though.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

again, what happens next summer when Ings departs?

The `do not sell our best players' line is fine, and I don't want to see either player leave, but how do we buy a striker next summer and how do we pay the interest on this £70m loan? 

If you don't think we will replace Ings adequately with £20m, how do you expect that same management to replace him adequately with nothing to spend.

I don't think you should keep players no matter what. We had our chance to build a side that could challenge for CL but didn't do (pay) enough to keep Luke Shaw and it all unravelled. Players have a price, whereby their sale can ensure our long term prosperity. Not exactly sure what JWP's is though.

We don't know where we will be next summer, at some point the club will change hands, for better or for worse... I imagine we will see something over the next 6-9 months

With that in mind I think its worth gambling on keeping both JWP and Ings, as like I said, without both we will almost certainly be relegated and with a 70m debt and an owner with no financial muscle then we will be in all kinds of trouble

We won't replace Ings with 20m and the cost of relegation far outweighs that, which is why I'd comfortably let him see his contract out

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We don't know where we will be next summer, at some point the club will change hands, for better or for worse... I imagine we will see something over the next 6-9 months

With that in mind I think its worth gambling on keeping both JWP and Ings, as like I said, without both we will almost certainly be relegated and with a 70m debt and an owner with no financial muscle then we will be in all kinds of trouble

We won't replace Ings with 20m and the cost of relegation far outweighs that, which is why I'd comfortably let him see his contract out

I have no idea about the sale of the club, so if a buyer is imminent, that would make sense. I worry though that next buyer will be equally `poor'.

Also, you are still kicking the replacing Ings can down the road though. If we need to spend £30m, then £20m is a bloody good start.  Or do you think the new owner might tempt him to stay? I cant see that, but you never know.

I'm not convinced JWP kept us up. He's played very well though. I'm a big Diallo fan. I think he can become a quality player at this level.

Confirmation pour Romain Perraud (Brest). Toutes les parties sont très proches d’un accord global pour transfert à 10 M€ —> Southampton

Confirmation for Romain Perraud (Brest). All parties are very close to a global deal for transfer to 10M € -> Southampton

Comes from what appears to be an established informed source in French sport media. 

• Like 1

I'm 50:50 on selling Ings this summer possibly for as little as 20m. The argument that we would be better off losing him for nothing because by having him for a season would supposedly guarantee PL status and income is flawed because of his injury record. 

It's the gamble between keep and lose for free or sell and have to replace and hope we stay up. 

Net spend on a replacement this summer maybe less than 10m. Net spend if we let him go for free would likely need to be 20m+. 

If signs an extension brilliant. If not, sell now imo. 

The players we need to sell to pool funds are 

- all 3 keepers

- Vestergaard (and possibly Bednatek too)

- Redmond 

- Djeneppo

And the others not involved last season. 

Selling JWP makes no sense unless it is a stupid fee - over 60m. 

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

I have no idea about the sale of the club, so if a buyer is imminent, that would make sense. I worry though that next buyer will be equally `poor'.

Also, you are still kicking the replacing Ings can down the road though. If we need to spend £30m, then £20m is a bloody good start.  Or do you think the new owner might tempt him to stay? I cant see that, but you never know.

I'm not convinced JWP kept us up. He's played very well though. I'm a big Diallo fan. I think he can become a quality player at this level.

Diallo is fantastic, but he showed what youth brings, and that is inconsistency

Again, I don't think we can replace Ings with 20m, I'm not convinced we can replace him with 30m either but what I do know is that without him our chances of survival are severely reduced and avoiding relegation is worth significantly more than 30m to us.... Im not trying to be pedantic or kick the can down the road... just like I say, who knows where we are in 12 months, but we are very much in a worse position relegated

Prowse ? Id say he was pretty integral, he added goal contributions, is a very good DM as well as decent leadership this year

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Confirmation pour Romain Perraud (Brest). Toutes les parties sont très proches d’un accord global pour transfert à 10 M€ —> Southampton

Confirmation for Romain Perraud (Brest). All parties are very close to a global deal for transfer to 10M € -> Southampton

Comes from what appears to be an established informed source in French sport media. 

Who the heck is this guy…never heard of him? Position, stats, utube videos etc please!

Edit: ok so he’s a left back and we’ve been chasing him since January apparently, so have the lead on other teams like Leeds who also want him. Guess where he’ll end up?🤣

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Who the heck is this guy…never heard of him? Position, stats, utube videos etc please!

He's got a good engine, gets up and down well with good cross on him. Well suited to PL apparently. French football still not sorted out TV deal yet so many clubs are in a bad way financially so some good deals to be had. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Edit: ok so he’s a left back and we’ve been chasing him since January apparently, so have the lead on other teams like Leeds who also want him. Guess where he’ll end up?🤣

If you are interested, he was discussed a few pages back. Not sure anyone had any real insight, but there is some opinion based on the various youtube videos available.

Some websites suggested Leeds pulled out as they felt the fee was too high.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

Exactly - if Ings isn't going to sign a new contract lets at least use any income his sale generates to buy a replacement. Doing so on a free at the end of next season seems unnecessarily reckless.

As for JWP - that's probably the one sale I don't get. Could we conceivably replace what he offers the team with even two transfers at £15m (assuming he leaves for £30m or so)? I'm not convinced, and on balance would rather keep him and evolve the side with one or two replacements then lose him and risk it all on a handful of new players

No we couldn't. And in a summer where we stand a good chance to lose Vestergard and Ings, we don't go and sell our club captain who happens to be one of our best and most consistent performers. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SKD said:

It only takes a season when you have a decent window and invest some money. They spent big on players like Watkins, Martinez and Barkley (appreciate he’s only a loan, but it was an expensive deal) and they’ve all been decent. This summer they’ve already spent big on Bunedia whilst weve scraping the bargain barrel and getting ‘rough diamonds’. 

Reality is, they’re more of a bag of shit than a bag of rough diamonds. 

Always been our problem and what will holds us back imo. Our unwillingness to break the 20m limit on one signing means we will always be looking down the table than up. Just shows how important a good manager is with our business model, screw that up and we really are in the shits. While we have to watch the likes of villa, west ham, leicester, everton all outspend and finish higher than us. Teams which were all at one point in similar positions to us in the last 5 years. Not easy being a saints fan is it

1 hour ago, Maya's Dad said:

Always been our problem and what will holds us back imo. Our unwillingness to break the 20m limit on one signing means we will always be looking down the table than up. Just shows how important a good manager is with our business model, screw that up and we really are in the shits. While we have to watch the likes of villa, west ham, leicester, everton all outspend and finish higher than us. Teams which were all at one point in similar positions to us in the last 5 years. Not easy being a saints fan is it

This is true, makes it all the more of a success story that we have been in the top league as much as we have since desperate days in the old Third division and then in modern times in Lg one on minus 10 points. It's a great club to support

46 minutes ago, TWar said:

Anyone got an athletic subscription and can give the gist of this?

It's not a new article - it's just the transfer article that came out a little while ago. Just says;

- we want two full backs, one permanent and one likely to be a loan

- Minamino wont sign permanently, but we may loan again

- Might spend near £20m on a player, but would be a one-off if we deem a target worth it

- If someone offers £25-30m for Ings, we will probably sell - but if we dont get the value we want, then we won't sell

- If Vestergaard goes, it is likely to be abroad - we would look to replace

- Gunn had positive talks with Sparkes and Crocker, but Hassenhutl not convinced. Norwich meant to be keen, somewhere around £5m

- Hoping that Lemina and Hoedt leave on permanent deals this summer 

7 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It's not a new article - it's just the transfer article that came out a little while ago. Just says;

- we want two full backs, one permanent and one likely to be a loan

- Minamino wont sign permanently, but we may loan again

- Might spend near £20m on a player, but would be a one-off if we deem a target worth it

- If someone offers £25-30m for Ings, we will probably sell - but if we dont get the value we want, then we won't sell

- Gunn had positive talks with Sparkes and Crocker, but Hassenhutl not convinced. Norwich meant to be keen, somewhere around £5m

- Hoping that Lemina and Hoedt leave on permanent deals this summer 

Great round-up.  The last bit makes me smile.  We always hope we can sell them :D 

2 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

Grabbed from the web, so accuracy can't be relied upon, but I wondered how the clubs you mentioned differed in terms of owner net worth. How much spare cash they have (and want) to throw around is a different matter.

Villa owner Nassef Sawiris net worth $9.2bn

Leicester owner Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha net worth $3.7bn

Everton owner Farhad Moshiri net worth $2.9bn

West Ham owners David Sullivan/Gold net worth worth £1.7bn (and 10% shareholder Albert Trip is a billionaire)

Southampton owners Gao Jisheng net worth £3.1bn, Katharina Liebherr £3bn

11 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Wonder who fancies him from abroad and has the kind of funds needed for us to recoup our spend on him?

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Grabbed from the web, so accuracy can't be relied upon, but I wondered how the clubs you mentioned differed in terms of owner net worth. How much spare cash they have (and want) to throw around is a different matter.

West Ham owners David Sullivan/Gold net worth worth £1.7bn (and 10% shareholder Albert Trip is a billionaire)

I would question the wealth of our owners.

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Def for Hoedt.  You would hope Lemina did enough to get somebody interested.

To be honest if it was up to me I’d bring lemina back into the mix.. think it’s a very skewed perception of him since Ralph froze him out..before that many regarded him as one of our most valuable players and better then hojbjerg..

fulham fans were also saying how he gave 100 percent, would give us a different option in midfield anyway someone a bit more dynamic for when we need to attack teams more 

I’m sure hardly anyone agrees though :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

Gao's net worth is effectively zero if he can't get it out of China

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

I have never seen anything that substantiated Markus' alleged 3bn net worth. Seemed based on a misunderstanding of his share of the Liebherr family business. No doubt he was wealthy and had tens of millions liquid funds, but 3bn has always seemed pie in the sky stuff. Mali always seemed like a rich-man's hobby, rather than a valuable asset - if it was a solid, profit-generating business, it wouldn't have been wound up so abruptly after Markus passed 

Likewise, there is not a single verifiable public source of Gao's wealth, as far as I am aware.

Edited by benjii

1 hour ago, Chez said:

yeap as others have mentioned, it doesnt how much our owner has if the club isn't getting any of it. From what has been communicated out of the club, we are self-reliant. Without the shaws chambers walcotts we can sell for big numbers from our 'famed' academy line, we basically are reliant on the tv money. The clubs I mentioned all spend 25m+ on marquee transfers almost without fail most windows

I’m sincerely hoping both these are utter bollix…..

Southampton have made an offer for former-Saint Filip Djurucic. The 29 year-old is also being closely watched by West Ham. 

Ralph has confirmed that talks are ongoing over the permanent transfer of Taki Minamino. 

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

To be honest if it was up to me I’d bring lemina back into the mix.. think it’s a very skewed perception of him since Ralph froze him out..before that many regarded him as one of our most valuable players and better then hojbjerg..

fulham fans were also saying how he gave 100 percent, would give us a different option in midfield anyway someone a bit more dynamic for when we need to attack teams more 

I do agree, I think he's victim of Ralphs ultra rigidity. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. By definition the "automatisms" or whatever he calls them take away spontaneity, unpredictability and therefore excitement. Probably why Djeneppo has gone backwards,  and Redmond gets picked every game, he does exactly what he's told even if he is completely unproductive.  I think Bertrand may have had a dig to that effect in his parting statement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I do agree, I think he's victim of Ralphs ultra rigidity. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. By definition the "automatisms" or whatever he calls them take away spontaneity, unpredictability and therefore excitement. Probably why Djeneppo has gone backwards,  and Redmond gets picked every game, he does exactly what he's told even if he is completely unproductive.  I think Bertrand may have had a dig to that effect in his parting statement.

Not sure if this backs that up or not, but Ralph seems to be constantly instructing players rather than just allow them to get on and play their own game. Reminded me a little of Tony Pulis. Not sure his teams offered a great deal of spontaneity either.

Returning to Lemina. No mater what he did at Fulham, Ralph won't want him back. Whether that is the right decision, I don't know.  We could do with a little more athleticism in the middle of the park for me. 

I think the semi final performance has left and indelible mark on Saints fans opinions of him. He also got crucified for losing the ball at West Ham (that led directly to them scoring) when holding on to it for too long, but IMO it was the players around him offering him nothing that forced his hand.  In the right system he'd be an asset, but Ralph won't change our system for Lemina. No chance. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 00:24, VectisSaint said:

Preferred, tried to get him to perform, but even Ralph saw eventually that it wasn't going to happen. There is no reason on earth that Ralph will not usher him out of the door, and to be fair, he could be someone who we might get a few quid for, people still see him as a good player, one of the promoted teams might think his experience his worth having (they'd be wrong but that's for them to find out). If we can't/won't shift players like Redmond then we have no hope of improving the squad for next season.

I've not seen any sign of Ralph realising that Redmond is utter garbage. He consistently plays him regardless of how useless he is. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

I've not seen any sign of Ralph realising that Redmond is utter garbage. He consistently plays him regardless of how useless he is. 

I think Ralph was using him to see if the fans pressure made his rubbish or is he without fans still rubbish, hopefully he got his answer.

Also i think i read somewhere he is also teachers pet so that could explain it.

• Haha 1

At the time, and probably still is, Lemina was our most technically gifted footballer. However, he's more interested in the fame and fortune that comes with being a footballer, instead of doing it on the pitch himself. There's a reason we shipped him out, there's a reason he's had two bang average loans at Galatasary and a relegated Fulham side and there's a reason Man United/Arsenal didn't pick him up when he was trying to whore himself out with his own highlights reel #TonicLikeLeminade. We almost got relegated in his first season here, and we certainly could not afford to carry him in the team when he's not on it now, so I don't think he's the answer, nor would he make a difference to our position in the Premier League. I get that he's an exciting highlights player, who looks good on the ball, but the bad memories far outweigh the good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, saint lard said:

I’m sincerely hoping both these are utter bollix…..

Southampton have made an offer for former-Saint Filip Djurucic. The 29 year-old is also being closely watched by West Ham. 

Ralph has confirmed that talks are ongoing over the permanent transfer of Taki Minamino. 

Read that as former Saint Flop Djurucic on first viewing. Equally accurate on reflection.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Would only be viable if Ings goes, and likely Edouard would have already moved elsewhere by then as the Ings situation will rumble on for most of the summer IMO.

Edited by Dusic

7 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Lemina back? Oh I hope not, if someone will pay 5p let him go. We know he's talented and shows it sometimes but the Premier League needs consistency and 100% commitment, he ain't got it, a shame but that's the way he is.

5 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Lemina back? Oh I hope not, if someone will pay 5p let him go. We know he's talented and shows it sometimes but the Premier League needs consistency and 100% commitment, he ain't got it, a shame but that's the way he is.

He was consistent and committed last season...