Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

16 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

I may be biased but for a while there that partnership was a beautiful thing to watch. I would go as far to say that midfield duo was the best ever seen at St Mary’s. Both moved on but were never as good again. Sometimes a dynamic evolves that cannot be bettered. It didn’t last that long but it was a midfield duo I wouldn’t have swapped for any other in the league at that time. They complimented each other so well. Porch certainly benefitted from that partnership.

Completely agree with this. In fact I do wonder whether Romeu an Diallo could be another great duo, but the problem there is JWP…he will not be dropped unless injured which seems doubtful. The fact JWP rarely gets injured is an interesting stat…he’s not the DM battler some would make him out to be, or he has good technique to keep himself safe. I’ve always maintained that JWP is a luxury player and one we could I’ll afford to have start. To be fair to the lad he’s proved to be a very capable player.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lots of Prem interest in Adam Armstrong - Blackburn's £20m asking price putting teams off.

He has 12 months left on his deal.  Further complicated by Newcastle having a 40% sell-on.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19368068.latest-interest-blackburn-rovers-top-scorer-adam-armstrong/

Offer them 15m plus Long

Hell why not throw in Obafemi on loan aswell. 

Talking of Loans i wonder if we will look at Harvey Elliott 🤔

• Like 1

Don't shoot the messenger, no negative comments are needed towards me.

What I know (don't forget things can change).

***Alberth Elis wants to join Saints. £9m.

Junior Firpo to cost €18m. Koeman wants him to join Saints over West Ham.

Saints in talks with Liverpool over Neco Williams.

Romain Perraud apparently agrees Saints deal***

Edited by Master Bates
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lots of Prem interest in Adam Armstrong - Blackburn's £20m asking price putting teams off.

He has 12 months left on his deal.  Further complicated by Newcastle having a 40% sell-on.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19368068.latest-interest-blackburn-rovers-top-scorer-adam-armstrong/

If he went for £20m, which wont happen, then you'd have some benchmark figure to base Ings' value in the current climate.

4 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Koeman won't care where he goes, just how much money there is to spend on incoming players.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Koeman won't care where he goes, just how much money there is to spend on incoming players.

Koeman isn't as much as a twat as he seems, he knows Firpo will progress better at Saints. No doubt they'll be a sell on clause involved.

Also Barcelona are happy to sell at €18m. I can't see WH trying a bidding war.

Edited by Master Bates

30 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Outside of our obvious need for two LBs and another RB, signing another striking option would be next on the list imo. Even if Ings stays for another year, he will get the inevitable niggling injuries which will take him out for 8-10 games a season. That leaves with just Adams as our only other striker who we could rely on for goals (although hes better for his support/hold up play). Not convinced with either Walcott or Redmond playing up top and I'm afraid that Long, N'Lundulu and Obafemi just arent good enough options for the PL at present (the latter two could do with a season loan to a Championship club).

From what I've seen of Armstrong, he looks to be of the Ings mould. Smart movement, good finisher and can create something out of nothing. He'll also be brimming with confidence with the season hes had. Also quite frankly we need to start exploring replacement options for Ings because if he doesnt go this summer, or January, he will definitely be gone next summer. Why not bring somebody in this window, at least we'll have 6-12 months to see if they can cut it before Ings does move on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Completely agree with this. In fact I do wonder whether Romeu an Diallo could be another great duo, but the problem there is JWP…he will not be dropped unless injured which seems doubtful. The fact JWP rarely gets injured is an interesting stat…he’s not the DM battler some would make him out to be, or he has good technique to keep himself safe. I’ve always maintained that JWP is a luxury player and one we could I’ll afford to have start. To be fair to the lad he’s proved to be a very capable player.

JWPs stats whilst operating at DM over the last two seasons completely disagree with your assessment that he is a luxury player tbh

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Koeman isn't as much as a twat as he seems, he knows Firpo will progress better at Saints. No doubt they'll be a sell on clause involved.

If we have Perraud then I can't see why we would want Firpo. If we are spending €18m I'd far rather we sink that into a quality attacking mid and have our back up to Perraud and KWP be a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

If we have Perraud then I can't see why we would want Firpo. If we are spending €18m I'd far rather we sink that into a quality attacking mid and have our back up to Perraud and KWP be a lot cheaper.

We obviously won’t sign both.

33 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Firpo is/was seemingly a contingency plan to Perraud - don't see us signing them both and we certainly won't be spending €18m on a second choice LB.

Perraud ticks more of the boxes that Crocker referred to, certainly re current playing time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

If Firpo can recoup much of his Real Betis form then I'm all for it, he was fantastic... and I believe he is two footed and can play wide left if needed

But Im not convinced.

Its probably difficult assessing a difference between Perraud who has been in good form in a worse league over Firpo that has been in poor form for a better side with a hugely better LB infront of him

Im genuinely not sure on this one, but on the balance of versatility I think Id go for Firpo

Edit - The fact that I changed my mind halfway through this post probably says it all 😄

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Loan for Williams presumeably?

32 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

You think we are in pole position then mate for Firpo?

Edited by davefizzy14

10) Tomas Vaclik
Patrik Schick deserves the headlines but Bayer Leverkusen will consider their £23m investment in the Czech Republic striker last summer to be sufficiently protected on a four-year contract. The same cannot be said of goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik, who quelled a rapturous Hampden Park and kept Scotland at bay. No keeper has made more saves than his six in keeping a clean sheet at the tournament so far.

While age would ordinarily preclude the 32-year-old from making a lucrative move even as a goalkeeper, Vaclik is leaving Sevilla as a free agent this summer and thus has his choice of suitors with no transfer fee. This season was spent as back-up to new signing Yassine Bounou but two campaigns as first choice in Andalusia marked him out as an eminently dependable custodian. If Runar Alex Runarsson still cannot be trusted then Arsenal could do worse.

16 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

10) Tomas Vaclik
Patrik Schick deserves the headlines but Bayer Leverkusen will consider their £23m investment in the Czech Republic striker last summer to be sufficiently protected on a four-year contract. The same cannot be said of goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik, who quelled a rapturous Hampden Park and kept Scotland at bay. No keeper has made more saves than his six in keeping a clean sheet at the tournament so far.

While age would ordinarily preclude the 32-year-old from making a lucrative move even as a goalkeeper, Vaclik is leaving Sevilla as a free agent this summer and thus has his choice of suitors with no transfer fee. This season was spent as back-up to new signing Yassine Bounou but two campaigns as first choice in Andalusia marked him out as an eminently dependable custodian. If Runar Alex Runarsson still cannot be trusted then Arsenal could do worse.

We should be all over that like MLG over a slightly hyperbolic statement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

5 if we were to get Shaun's son D'Margio who's been at City too and is a U-23 player at Stoke. [Shaun Wright-Phillips having a son old enough to play pro football makes me feel very old...]

The thing that gets me with this modern tendency to amalgamate the mother and father's surname is where does it end? For instance, what would happen if a ward-prowse and a wright-phillips had a child together? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Only Dybala has a better conversion rate than JWP on that list

Yep, and he isn't allowed to take them anymore since Ronaldo turned up, who is dreadful at them nowadays. Mental.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Yep, and he isn't allowed to take them anymore since Ronaldo turned up, who is dreadful at them nowadays. Mental.

That is daft.

I think a team with JWP taking them from the left and Dybala from the right would score about 25% of its FKs!

• Like 1

Thought this snippet from an Athletic interview with Brighton DoF Dan Ashworth might be of interest:

In an exclusive interview with The Athletic, Ashworth says: “It would very much depend on the age of the player. If you are talking about the here and now first-team ready player at 25, 26, then there’s probably three different bands.

“You’ve got the top six, next tier down I’d put West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Wolves — although I wouldn’t know exactly their budget but just my gut instinct on it — and then you’ve got the bottom third of the Premier League from a financial point of view.

“Ourselves, Southampton, Burnley, Newcastle — I’m not sure, maybe they’d be that higher one up. If we are going for a 25-26-year-old who is Premier League ready, I’d say two-thirds of the Premier League would be able to outbid us from a transfer fee and wages point of view.

“Our recruitment strategy has got to be a bit different. If we go fishing in the same pond as them, we may not get the player we want.

“Hence, we’ve tended to either go to a different market or buying potential rather than performance. The danger of that is you are buying potential, so you don’t quite know; they don’t always come to what you’d hope they’d be.”

Although Brighton’s strategy increases the likelihood of more misses than hits, lower risk can bring high rewards.

“The advantages are you’ve got ones below market value if they become what you hope they’d be,” Ashworth says. “Jakub Moder is one, for example, that looks like he is going to work out for us, because the level of player I think he will become and what he has certainly shown in the second half of the season would be higher than the value that we paid for him (£6 million).

“There are others that maybe haven’t worked out quite as well. That’s the trade-off, I guess.”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Thought this snippet from an Athletic interview with Brighton DoF Dan Ashworth might be of interest:

In an exclusive interview with The Athletic, Ashworth says: “It would very much depend on the age of the player. If you are talking about the here and now first-team ready player at 25, 26, then there’s probably three different bands.

“You’ve got the top six, next tier down I’d put West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Wolves — although I wouldn’t know exactly their budget but just my gut instinct on it — and then you’ve got the bottom third of the Premier League from a financial point of view.

“Ourselves, Southampton, Burnley, Newcastle — I’m not sure, maybe they’d be that higher one up. If we are going for a 25-26-year-old who is Premier League ready, I’d say two-thirds of the Premier League would be able to outbid us from a transfer fee and wages point of view.

“Our recruitment strategy has got to be a bit different. If we go fishing in the same pond as them, we may not get the player we want.

“Hence, we’ve tended to either go to a different market or buying potential rather than performance. The danger of that is you are buying potential, so you don’t quite know; they don’t always come to what you’d hope they’d be.”

Although Brighton’s strategy increases the likelihood of more misses than hits, lower risk can bring high rewards.

“The advantages are you’ve got ones below market value if they become what you hope they’d be,” Ashworth says. “Jakub Moder is one, for example, that looks like he is going to work out for us, because the level of player I think he will become and what he has certainly shown in the second half of the season would be higher than the value that we paid for him (£6 million).

“There are others that maybe haven’t worked out quite as well. That’s the trade-off, I guess.”

Cheers for posting that.  I've noticed Brighton last season really started to strengthen by signing players for their U23 squad specifically.

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Cheers for posting that.  I've noticed Brighton last season really started to strengthen by signing players for their U23 squad specifically.

I thought Brighton made a couple of astute signings in Moder and another Polish lad last season. Relatively modest sums on two players linked with bigger clubs.  The sort of signing we should be in for.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

I thought Brighton made a couple of astute signings in Moder and another Polish lad last season. Relatively modest sums on two players linked with bigger clubs.  The sort of signing we should be in for.

They also brought in an Ecuadorian lad as an eventual for replacement for Bissouma for a smallish fee too, who they have high hopes for. [They probably saw the stunning success we had with Delgado and Chala back in the early 2000s and thought they wanted a piece of that]

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeah, signed a prospect from Wigan as well.

Plus Moises Caicedo who’s very highly rated.

58 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yeah, signed a prospect from Wigan as well.

Plus Moises Caicedo who’s very highly rated.

And then they wasted all the money they saved on smart signings by bringing in Welbeck and Lallana on silly money.

1 hour ago, igsey said:

And then they wasted all the money they saved on smart signings by bringing in Welbeck and Lallana on silly money.

Welbeck was pretty good for them tbf and I think you can get away with a couple of high earners.  It's when you have loads of overpaid tosh like we have recently that you struggle.

Interestingly, still no reports of us signing any young lads for this years scholar intake.  Normally always read reports about signings at that level by now.

* I should say I mean signings at that age from outside the club. The U16’s have already signed terms, I believe. 

Edited by SuperSAINT

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Interestingly, still no reports of us signing any young lads for this years scholar intake.  Normally always read reports about signings at that level by now.

Has Walcott been officially announced?

A suggestion earlier in the thread that we're holding off on the new LB until our financial year ends. Maybe the same for youngsters and Theo?