Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Just now, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Us, Norwich and Newcastle after him. £15m would get a deal done. I think Norwich would be favourites to sign him as he's more likely to in starting 11. If Ings stays then he has to try and break up Ings/Adams partnership. That said a year learning from Ings before he leaves on a free isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

Newcastle get a 40% discount code.

26 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Think that article is a bit out of date. Looking like Perraud is done and theres no chance we're bringing in Firpo at LB aswell. We need the money for other positions. Think Crook got one right for once, Firpo was our second choice option if we didnt get Perraud done.

43 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Think that article is a bit out of date. Looking like Perraud is done and theres no chance we're bringing in Firpo at LB aswell. We need the money for other positions. Think Crook got one right for once, Firpo was our second choice option if we didnt get Perraud done.

Ok, Perraud sounds like a quality signing at LB. Hoping we get it done soon. 

I think Scotland is a very good place to look for talent. Usually costs a fraction of what you spend in England or the rest of Europe. Since our return we've got Davis, Wanyama, Forster (I still think he was a good buy), Van Dijk and now Stuey Armstrong. Ryan Christie would be a decent signing. I'd like to see us look at Ryan Kent, Glen Kamamra, Edouard and maybe Ntcham if we can afford him

3 minutes ago, tunit said:

I think Scotland is a very good place to look for talent. Usually costs a fraction of what you spend in England or the rest of Europe. Since our return we've got Davis, Wanyama, Forster (I still think he was a good buy), Van Dijk and now Stuey Armstrong. Ryan Christie would be a decent signing. I'd like to see us look at Ryan Kent, Glen Kamamra, Edouard and maybe Ntcham if we can afford him

I like Christie, he can really finish.

2 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I like Christie, he can really finish.

I like the idea of Christie. Already knows Armstrong and Adams obviously but in his own right is lively and can create. Would be dirt cheap too. 

4 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I like the idea of Christie. Already knows Armstrong and Adams obviously but in his own right is lively and can create. Would be dirt cheap too. 

Yep exactly this. I think Christie is quality, creates and scores goals.

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Celtic fans I've heard from don't rate him, also there was an article quoting fan opinion a little while back that said they far prefer Moi iirc. 

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, tunit said:

I'm still scarred by Neil McCann

2 hours ago, tunit said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/olivier-ntchams-marseille-nightmare-continues-23765524

No thanks. Hes like a scottish Lemina. Plenty of talent but stinking attitude. So good hes landed a huge move to.....AEK Athens. His value has plummeted but its not worth the pain. Kent is very good, so is David Turnbull at Celtic

Part of me wonders why Christie is valued at just over £1m, even if he is in the final year of his contract, but then again we signed Steven Davis for less than £1m from the SPL and the rest is history.

Then I wonder why a 26 year old only has 20 caps for Scotland, but then Stuart Armstrong only has 27 caps at 29 and he's one of our most consistent performers.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

We don't need Christie and the fact he is cheap shouldn't be a driver to sign someone.

He isnt better than Armstrong and Redmond (despite the feeling on here), we have just signed Walcott, still have Djenepo and might get another player in that position. Tella can also play there although I think he is now considered as a striker.

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’d be a really good signing but he’ll want to play every week, you would have thought.

He looked poor when he played last season. While I'd rather go into the season with him than nobody at LB, I think we can do better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

He looked poor when he played last season. While I'd rather go into the season with him than nobody at LB, I think we can do better. 

I think he’d be cover for both sides which is why I don’t think he’ll come here.

14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I think he’d be cover for both sides which is why I don’t think he’ll come here.

Perhaps Ralph has a master plan, and will apply the same thinking to fullbacks as he does to the keepers? Rotate the 3 players between the 2 positions.

Genius.

What's not to like? 😵

I'd be happy with him, I feel like if we could get him on a permanent deal or option / obligation to buy, he could be our full back for the next amount of years ala Bertrand when he came from Chelsea and KWP when he came from Spurs

I'd have no problem with us signing him and either Firpo or Perraud, and then those 3 fighting it out for the 2 spots, and then JWP and Diallo giving us options if we get 2 injuries. I can't see us bringing in 3 full backs, unless one is very young and happy to sit on the bench, but maybe we'll keep Vokins or Valery for that 4th choice option

20 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

Perhaps Ralph has a master plan, and will apply the same thinking to fullbacks as he does to the keepers? Rotate the 3 players between the 2 positions.

Genius.

What's not to like? 😵

I think we should appoint Benitez as a new manager and rotate him and Hasenhüttl on a two match basis. We can then decide at the end of the season which one to keep and which one to bin.

• Haha 1

For the millionth time, Williams is a RB that filled in at LB when Shaw was injured for them, whilst Wan-Bissaka never seems to miss a game. If you watch Williams playing at LB he's extremely one-footed. Fine as back-up to KWP and a new LB but I'm not sure he (or OGS) would be happy with that.

5 minutes ago, igsey said:

For the millionth time, Williams is a RB that filled in at LB when Shaw was injured for them, whilst Wan-Bissaka never seems to miss a game. If you watch Williams playing at LB he's extremely one-footed. Fine as back-up to KWP and a new LB but I'm not sure he (or OGS) would be happy with that.

He isn't a "RB" as such, and he's played more games at LB for Utd than RB.  He can play both, His contract is up at the end of the season too. although they have an option of another year.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I think we should appoint Benitez as a new manager and rotate him and Hasenhüttl on a two match basis. We can then decide at the end of the season which one to keep and which one to bin.

Oh, oh, oh, and do we get to do this with fans also 🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cartman said:

We are not paying £10m for a backup fullback, that is what we pay for first 11 fullbacks. For that money we can easily get 2 decent backups for each side.

We've relatively recently paid that kind of price for backup centre backs (Salisu), central midfielders (Diallo), keepers (Gunn) and wingers (Djenepo) and others... so why not fullbacks?

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Cartman said:

We are not paying £10m for a backup fullback, that is what we pay for first 11 fullbacks. For that money we can easily get 2 decent backups for each side.

IF we wanted Neco, I assumed we may have done a loan with an option/obligation to spread the payment to next year. 

2 hours ago, Suhari said:

Genius.

What's not to like? 😵

I think that would be totally fine to be honest. It's a much different position to GK

35 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We've relatively recently paid that kind of price for backup centre backs (Salisu), central midfielders (Diallo), keepers (Gunn) and wingers (Djenepo) and others... so why not fullbacks?

Because all of those were signed with the intention that they would eventually become starters, even if in some of those cases it didn't turn out that way there was a clear path to the starting lineup. A new right footed fullback would have his path very much blocked by KWP and we are not having a right footed player as first choice left back. It is a waste of money to be spending £10m on a player who will never be anything more than a backup when players can be found to perform that role for a fraction of the price and when that money is needed elsewhere. It is just a poor use of resources.

3 hours ago, Suhari said:

Genius.

What's not to like? 😵

You know this would cause a serious issue when someone questioned why the chosen full backs were paired up with the wrong goalkeeper. Ralph seen to get it right by the experts on here would be as likely as a lottery win 

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Do they actually know anything or are they just reacting to news reports?

Looking at his twitter it's incredibly vague.

"It's going to be busy in July" is a nonsense phrase. All clubs sign and release players in July. We definitely definitely will, so its not something that suggests any inside knowledge whatsoever.

50 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Because all of those were signed with the intention that they would eventually become starters, even if in some of those cases it didn't turn out that way there was a clear path to the starting lineup. A new right footed fullback would have his path very much blocked by KWP and we are not having a right footed player as first choice left back. It is a waste of money to be spending £10m on a player who will never be anything more than a backup when players can be found to perform that role for a fraction of the price and when that money is needed elsewhere. It is just a poor use of resources.

If KWP moves on next summer then we'll need them and if he doesn't then we can sell. It's not ridiculous to invest in a youngster with potential - it's our whole business model. And with injuries I'm sure there will be opportunities. Unless you want Cuco Martina playing for half a season because someone has got a serious injury

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Looking at his twitter it's incredibly vague.

"It's going to be busy in July" is a nonsense phrase. All clubs sign and release players in July. We definitely definitely will, so its not something that suggests any inside knowledge whatsoever.

Exactly what I thought. 

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Exactly what I thought. 

I've seen what he's done now. He got his domino effect tweet out just as the Kane story was breaking and now making out he's in on it. (See? see?)

Absolute chancer.

17 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Do they actually know anything or are they just reacting to news reports?

I don't know and wouldn't imagine so - just saw it and thought it worth sharing. 

That said, a while back the account did mention Harry Kane leaving Spurs would shake things up at Saints. Today all the City-Kane stuff has come to light and the account mentioned is posting again. 

However I guess it could be easy to put 2 and 2 together and come up with a believable but fabricated discourse, but I struggle to see the motivation for that (at least personally) - that is not to say someone doesn't have too much time on their hands though. 

I guess it is all part of the game and whilst I don't think they are itk, it is nice to think that there is a small chance that they are, if nothing else but to provide us with a sense of hope, or at least intrigue.