Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

38 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If he sells his best assets the sale of the club becomes less attractive as the new owner will have to spend more on the squad.

Agree, seems like he’s in between a rock and a hard place. He wont take a loss though. I don’t see how he gets his asking price.

5 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Re Maehle And he can play both sides, as he has proven. To think we balked at paying €5M. He's worth far more than that now. He looked superb.

Do we know we baulked at the fee?

It is strange that we were linked so heavily to him across a few transfer windows, at a decent fee, but never signed him.

I assumed there was something else, not ££ related that, stopped us.

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Do we know we baulked at the fee?

It is strange that we were linked so heavily to him across a few transfer windows, at a decent fee, but never signed him.

I assumed there was something else, not ££ related that, stopped us.

Perhaps the fact he went to a club that can offer him champions league football?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Perhaps the fact he went to a club that can offer him champions league football?

Good point!

I took the assumption that we chose not to sign him. Hadn't considered he might have not wanted to come. 😀

41 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Good point!

I took the assumption that we chose not to sign him. Hadn't considered he might have not wanted to come. 😀

From memory (increasingly unreliable with the years) we tried to sign him one or two windows before he joined that "Champions League club", and he wanted to come.

He talked about it in an interview while he was still at Genk.

Maehle has looked decent at the euros but he hasn't really been consistently starting for Atalanta since joining (11 out of 23 league games started) and hasn't exactly been doing amazing there apparently. A couple of decent performances at national level can very much overhype a player. I'm happy we got KWP personally, has been ace for us. 

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Maehle has looked decent at the euros but he hasn't really been consistently starting for Atalanta since joining (11 out of 23 league games started) and hasn't exactly been doing amazing there apparently. A couple of decent performances at national level can very much overhype a player. I'm happy we got KWP personally, has been ace for us. 

Maehle (cover both side), KWP and this french lad would have been a very good set of options at full back. 

I think we’ve seen from last season how important our full backs are, keeping them fresh and rotating in some real quality would have been fantastic for this season.

Anyhow, too late now. 

Just now, SKD said:

Maehle (cover both side), KWP and this french lad would have been a very good set of options at full back. 

I think we’ve seen from last season how important our full backs are, keeping them fresh and rotating in some real quality would have been fantastic for this season.

Anyhow, too late now. 

Yeah, I think Maehle is probably too good to be back up for us though. I suspect we will get KWP, Perraud, that 18 year old LB from Chelsea (or similar young up and comer) and one of Neco/Brandon Williams on loan and that will be it for fullback options, which is probably fine for a club of our size.

Spend the money on attacking mid and potentially replacing Ings if we have to imo, we need to create more.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah, I think Maehle is probably too good to be back up for us though. I suspect we will get KWP, Perraud, that 18 year old LB from Chelsea (or similar young up and comer) and one of Neco/Brandon Williams on loan and that will be it for fullback options, which is probably fine for a club of our size.

Spend the money on attacking mid and potentially replacing Ings if we have to imo, we need to create more.

Sorry I didn’t mean cover, I meant he can play both sides. I’d like to think given the intensity required from our FB’s, we’d have 3 / 4 top players who we can rotate and keep everyone fresh. 

But I agree, I suspect we’ll get a young lad in as the 3rd full back. 

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I thought we signed a younger LB from a Spanish team - anyone know he has done the last 12 months?

Jeremi Rodriguez? Think he's been playing 18's and based on how they have been doing, I'm going to assume he's not stood out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I thought we signed a younger LB from a Spanish team - anyone know he has done the last 12 months?

Yeah Jeremi Rodriguez, very much a youth team signing (turns 18 in October I think), has played 8 games for the under 18s. Doesn't seem like he's been too great judging by the games he's played in and the fact he was benched at the end of the season but am just speculating, haven't seen him play.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

Have I missed something here?

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Yeah sorry, Valentino Livramento, 18 year old Chelsea LB, was their youth player of the season I think. We were linked a couple of places, the mail most recently I think. Here is a HampshireLive article on it https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-chelsea-tino-livramento-5581766

Edited by TWar

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Yeah sorry, Valentino Livramento, 18 year old Chelsea LB, was their youth player of the season I think. We were linked a couple of places, the mail most recently I think. Here is a HampshireLive article on it https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-chelsea-tino-livramento-5581766

Very highly thought of... I'd imagine he'll sign new deal with them and spend the next 5 years getting loaned out...

He's the kind of signing we should definitely be looking at.

2 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Really can’t see us signing anyone. It seems we haven’t a pot to piss in.

I hope Im wrong but more likely to sell than buy.

I think Gao needs to recoup money before he sells because he isn’t getting the £200 million he’s asking.

If we don’t sell JWP or Ings I’ll  be astonished. If I was  the owner thats what Id do from a pure business sense. Sell the assets and get out.

If that doesn’t happen then I don’t have a clue what’s going on behind there as there is some sort of limbo going on.

We'll sell ings i think - There is no other legitimate reason we'd be sniffing around Armstrong otherwise (not with our finances). Personally, i'll be happy with that trade off as I think Armstrong is a great prospect and younger.

Vestergard is also seemingly off as well? (based on the total absence of any noise re a contract extension and him entering his final year) - although given that, you'd hope we're signing 2 wing/full backs and a CB as a minimum.

22 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

18 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Jeremi Rodriguez? Think he's been playing 18's and based on how they have been doing, I'm going to assume he's not stood out. 

17 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah Jeremi Rodriguez, very much a youth team signing (turns 18 in October I think), has played 8 games for the under 18s. Doesn't seem like he's been too great judging by the games he's played in and the fact he was benched at the end of the season but am just speculating, haven't seen him play.

Going to be interesting to see how he settles next season after a year.  Depending on how you view it, 3 or 4 players in front of him won't be in front of him anymore, so he'll have a really good chance to bed in to either the B-team or the U18's. 

With that said, could still see us signing a slightly older left-back for the B-team, hence us trialling a few at the end of the season.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Very highly thought of... I'd imagine he'll sign new deal with them and spend the next 5 years getting loaned out...

He's the kind of signing we should definitely be looking at.

Would be refreshing to see if he does decide to leave and go and play somewhere, rather than take the usual loan path. 

18 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We'll sell ings i think - There is no other legitimate reason we'd be sniffing around Armstrong otherwise (not with our finances). Personally, i'll be happy with that trade off as I think Armstrong is a great prospect and younger.

Vestergard is also seemingly off as well? (based on the total absence of any noise re a contract extension and him entering his final year) - although given that, you'd hope we're signing 2 wing/full backs and a CB as a minimum.

Armstrong replaces Long hopefully

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, waylander said:

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the party line if we shed Long/Oba/N'lundulu, but would expect then Ings to go later in the window and we say AA is his ready made replacement.

9 minutes ago, waylander said:

I always assumed that was Obafemi's role? I think if we buy Armstrong, it is to replace Ings. I am fairly comfortable with the prospect of Armstrong and Che upfront, with Obafemi as a pace option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think it's more likely that we'd bring Armstrong in for a year as rotation with the two, in the lead up to Ings leaving on a free next Summer.

Yeah I think this is sensible. Alternatively, it could be that Ralph doesn't rate Che as much as a lot of fans do. He kept trying to shoehorn Redmond in up top and even gave Tella a few runs there. Maybe long term Che is seen as a rotation option with Ings/Armstrong being our front two.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think it's more likely that we'd bring Armstrong in for a year as rotation with the two, in the lead up to Ings leaving on a free next Summer.

Agreed.  Though if we're doing well/Armstrong's doing well by January we might looks to get some cash for Ings, there will be teams who will want a bit of extra fire power in the second half of the season.

I'd hope that bringing Armstrong in is for good ol' competition for places. Two up top from Ings, Adams and Armstrong - whoever is scoring and/or playing better plays? It's the only way we'll look to improve. Then, next summer, either Danny signs to stay on or he leaves on a free and we look for a replacement. This also has the benefit of keeping Redmond out of the front line and maybe back in as one of the attacking midfielders if he can re-discover some form.

23 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I cannot see in a million years us, with the financial holes we have, letting Ings leave on a free. I think he either signs a new deal as the interest he thought would materialise doesn't, or we sell for £20m. Especially if we're actually going to pay money for another striker. 

Personally I would keep him, as his goals are invaluable to us, but the club is run as a business as we just won't let our most valuable asset leave for nothing. 

2 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Do you have “knowledge “? 
You don’t think we’ll sell Ings or JWP?

crikey, I’ll be delighted if we don’t 

No knowledge but this board do not generally make statements that can come back and bite them.  JWP is key and has signed a new contract.  They won't consider selling him for another 2/3 years.  Ings would be sold only if he wanted to go which he doesn't really.  Otherwise they would rather he went for free next year than sell him this year without a 'proven' replacement.

Of the squad we have left the most likely departures amongst first team squad regulars are N'Lundulu, Long and Jankewitz.  Obafemi and Djenepo (loans) and (if we really need to raise further funds and he won't sign a new contract) Vestergaard.  That's the only regular starter that we do have cover for (Stephens / Salisu).

That would leave us bringing in Perraud, Walcott, Armstrong on permanent deals and Williams (pref Bradley as opposed to Nico) plus another full back and centre back on loan with option to buy.

All that, IMO, would be well within our financial means.

The only way Blackburn are going to get £20m for Armstrong is if he goes back to Newcastle, as they have the 40% sell on meaning it would only cost them £12m. (Whether he wants to go back or if Newcastle are interested, who knows?) 

If Newcastle aren't an option it will surely drag on all summer as Blackburn try to squeeze out as much as they can possibly get. 

15 minutes ago, saintrich said:

The only way Blackburn are going to get £20m for Armstrong is if he goes back to Newcastle, as they have the 40% sell on meaning it would only cost them £12m. (Whether he wants to go back or if Newcastle are interested, who knows?) 

If Newcastle aren't an option it will surely drag on all summer as Blackburn try to squeeze out as much as they can possibly get. 

Interesting triumvirate, Saints, Blackburn, Newcastle... A good omen for the new Shearer?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mowgli said:

No knowledge but this board do not generally make statements that can come back and bite them.  JWP is key and has signed a new contract.  They won't consider selling him for another 2/3 years.  Ings would be sold only if he wanted to go which he doesn't really.  Otherwise they would rather he went for free next year than sell him this year without a 'proven' replacement.

Of the squad we have left the most likely departures amongst first team squad regulars are N'Lundulu, Long and Jankewitz.  Obafemi and Djenepo (loans) and (if we really need to raise further funds and he won't sign a new contract) Vestergaard.  That's the only regular starter that we do have cover for (Stephens / Salisu).

That would leave us bringing in Perraud, Walcott, Armstrong on permanent deals and Williams (pref Bradley as opposed to Nico) plus another full back and centre back on loan with option to buy.

All that, IMO, would be well within our financial means.

Fair post that, I wish I was as optimistic 

I do not think clubs by signings off the back of tournaments anymore, usually organised clubs with their recruitment sorted will have been watching players for months if not year so players won’t appear from nowhere in a tournament like say the Czechs did in Euro 96 or like Senegal did in that World Cup. More likely a watched target might add a few million to his asking price with a good tournament or maybe moves up a priority list. 

Also an Athletic article on the mess at Barcelona reckons they are desperate to get rid of Firpo and that he’s been well short of expectations, but shouldn’t expect anyway near what they paid.