Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If we go for Messi, doesn't that mean we would also need to sign a compatriot of his? Just to help him settle?!

Shame we dithered with signing Aguero and let Barcelona sneak in.

15 minutes ago, SKD said:

Bring him back. Make him Captain. 

The only sticking point is that he won’t want to come back. 

how has he played for Spurs last season? Has his form, pace etc. dropped off a cliff, or is he still the player we had before, but in a faltering side?  

Two years left on his contract, so Spurs still hold some cards, and £100k a week by all accounts, will limit suitors.  

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

how has he played for Spurs last season? Has his form, pace etc. dropped off a cliff, or is he still the player we had before, but in a faltering side?  

Two years left on his contract, so Spurs still hold some cards, and £100k a week by all accounts, will limit suitors.  

He’d be better than what we’ve got with 1 leg 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Bring him back. Make him Captain. 

The only sticking point is that he won’t want to come back. 

Is there a genuine reason he wouldn't come back?

(I mean something other than us being a bit shit nowadays)

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Well if he is linked with Belgium clubs his demands cant be that high.

Presumably because moves are already being made that way.  His options are going to be 1. head home, 2. go somewhere for money/fame/fun (e.g. USA) or 3. play for a club like us who are lower down the league.  The only reason he's likely to want to do 3 is if he wants to play in the Qatar world cup and keep his levels up, otherwise we're not really a very attractive proposition.

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Not seen links to this guy before, if I have missed apologies. Brais Mendez of Celta Vigo. Never heard of him before. AM, perhaps a replacement for Redmond, sounds promising. Anyone know more? 

Is this an actual link or are you naming a player you’ve heard of that you think might be good despite probably never having seen him play?

5 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Not seen links to this guy before, if I have missed apologies. Brais Mendez of Celta Vigo. Never heard of him before. AM, perhaps a replacement for Redmond, sounds promising. Anyone know more? 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is this an actual link or are you naming a player you’ve heard of that you think might be good despite probably never having seen him play?

He has been linked with Saints in a number of publications (rehashing each other) for the last few weeks.

It may have started with this article on 15th June...

https://m.tuttomercatoweb.com/calcio-estero/tmw-dall-europeo-sfiorato-alle-sirene-di-mercato-la-premier-league-chiama-brais-mendez-1547632

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

He said first SUMMER signing. Walcott was announced May 18th, which was still Spring. 

The announcement on 18th May was an agreement in principle. Walcott joined Saints on the day after his contract expired (30th June) on 1st July... which is summer. 

Perraud joined on the day after on 2nd July.

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The announcement on 18th May was an agreement in principle. Walcott joined Saints on the day after his contract expired (30th June) on 1st July... which is summer. 

I was referring to Saints official Twitter announcement, not the semantics. I was intrigued by the word FIRST as in prelude to more incomings, thats all. I thought it was an optimistic statement.

10 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

I was intrigued by the word FIRST as in prelude to more incomings, thats all. I thought it was an optimistic statement.

It isn't surprising or optimistic when Hasenhuttl has stated on multiple occasions they intend to sign a few players this summer and even named the roles he wants to fill.

Edited by Matthew Le God

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't surprising or optimistic when Hasenhuttl has stated on multiple occasions they intend to sign a few players this summer and even named the roles he wants to fill.

What people say and do are different things. Now we are starting to see evidence I am optimistic that we’ll see more coming in. Thats my interpretation. Yours may be different. That’s why the world is such a wonderful place. Different opinions can exist within the same space.

2 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

What people say and do are different things. Now we are starting to see evidence I am optimistic that we’ll see more coming in. Thats my interpretation. Yours may be different. That’s why the world is such a wonderful place. Different opinions can exist within the same space.

Some people's world are binary  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

And Ralph (or any other recent managers) have never said they want a player(s) and it’s not happened….. 

5 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He may have officially become a Saints player in July, but he SIGNED a deal in May and is therefore a spring signing.

fuck you brendon urie GIF by Panic! At The Disco

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

He may have officially become a Saints player in July, but he SIGNED a deal in May and is therefore a spring signing.

Nonsense as I hope you are fully aware. A pre agreement is not the actual agreement starting. The deal was not registered with governing bodies until July... so it is a summer signing. He was an Everton employee until the end of 30th June and became a Saints player the next day... in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Nonsense as I hope you are fully aware. A pre agreement is not the actual agreement starting. The deal was not registered with governing bodies until July... so it is a summer signing. He was an Everton employee until the end of 30th June and became a Saints player the next day... in the summer.

So Saints did a piece in their website and Theo did a load of quotes and it was announced to the media but in all that time Theo Walcott did not sign any agreement whatsoever?

Is that what you are saying?

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I hope you are fully aware that you need a life. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

How do you know he didn't sign in Spring and post date the contract?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So Saints did a piece in their website and Theo did a load of quotes and it was announced to the media but in all that time Theo Walcott did not sign any agreement whatsoever?

Is that what you are saying?

I didn't say that at all. 

The club's statement in May said... "Southampton Football Club is delighted to confirm it has reached an agreement in principle with Theo Walcott for the forward to return to Saints on a permanent basis."

An agreement in principle is not the agreement. Nor is it registered with the governing bodies until July.

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Fuck me, this is the like “he’s not 28 until he’s 29’ debate. He clearly signed an agreement before July. Doesn’t matter when it starts, he signed it in May. Which is what the original poster said, before you jumped all over it trying to be the pedantic bore you always are.

Im sure you’ll post something back, missing the point again. I’m going to have a beer and watch the England game. Enjoy your evening.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

An agreement in principle is not the agreement. Nor is it registered with the governing bodies until July.

It's also just a legalistic holding phrase used to post on a website.

Could have been signed in February for all we know and only posted on the website in a May.

All they had to do was scan the contract whenever they wanted and preset the email to send to the FA 1st July.

I'm pretty certain they would have facilitated it so Theo wouldn't have had to make a specific appointment to go in and sign a contract on 1st July.

Edited by Nolan

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

I think the words "never heard of him before" are probably a clue (but then you never were much good at reading what people wrote were you). And yes it was an actual link, came from Mercato? and popped up on Google News with quotes from his Agent (though not specifically about Saints). I think this is a link to the Article I read, seems like Leicester are pursuing and Newcastle were interested.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/southampton-fc-news/southampton-saints-st-marys-stadium-ralph-hasenhuttl-brais-mendez-celta-vigo/amp/

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, benjii said:

Congrats to Saints on following up their spring time signing of Theo with this excellent and timely first summer signing.

Thanks benjii. I have no idea why they all engage each other. Meanwhile, I’ll just keep on scrolling page after page waiting for the ladies to get back on topic and maybe see a snippet of info…..

• Like 3