Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Possibly summer signing number 3 😉😇

According to the Sunday Mirror today, Adam Armstrong is set for a move to Southampton for an initial £10m with add-ons to come.

Newcastle United linked with Adam Armstrong return and Blackburn Rovers'  stance - LancsLive

Great deal at that price he is a talent and has done a great job in an average championship side. Considering Buendia went for £40m this looks like a steal.

Lets hope we can get this done

42 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Possibly summer signing number 3 😉😇

According to the Sunday Mirror today, Adam Armstrong is set for a move to Southampton for an initial £10m with add-ons to come.

Angel Of The North Football GIF by Blackburn Rovers

Who was the journalist, MLG?

40 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Great deal at that price he is a talent and has done a great job in an average championship side. Considering Buendia went for £40m this looks like a steal.

Lets hope we can get this done

I’m not getting my hopes up just yet, but fingers crossed we can get him.

16 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Who was the journalist, MLG?

FWIW Nixon says its not true, and he usually has good links with Blackburn.

Suprised and disappointed that MLG would post something without knowing the true source. Slipping standards from the lad, thought he was better than that.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I think the words "never heard of him before" are probably a clue (but then you never were much good at reading what people wrote were you). And yes it was an actual link, came from Mercato? and popped up on Google News with quotes from his Agent (though not specifically about Saints). I think this is a link to the Article I read, seems like Leicester are pursuing and Newcastle were interested.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/southampton-fc-news/southampton-saints-st-marys-stadium-ralph-hasenhuttl-brais-mendez-celta-vigo/amp/

Yes I read what people write hence why I asked the question. This place is full of people who hear a name, check their stats and suddenly become a player we HAVE TO SIGN and bemoan the clubs lack of ambition when we don’t. Thank you for clarifying your post regarding this player there really wasn’t any need to get upset 

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

FWIW Nixon says its not true, and he usually has good links with Blackburn.

What the Mirror story apparently claims is not what Nixon is denying. The Mirror story does not say it is agreed, nor does it say the deal is only £10m. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Suprised and disappointed that MLG would post something without knowing the true source. Slipping standards from the lad, thought he was better than that.

I stated the source was the Mirror. I passed no comment on the likelihood of it being true or bullshit.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I stated the source was the Mirror. I passed no comment on the likelihood of it being true or bullshit.

We truly have a creditable printed media in this country. I tend to take the Mail, Sun, Express, Telegraph and Standard as the gospel truth.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Armstrong would truly be a really clever purchase and a very worthy second signing of the summer after Perraud.

Would he, can’t  really tell as I’ve never really heard of him. Is he another Che  Adams having the potential to progress. I would have thought if we lose Ings we would want a ready made replacement.

Edited by Antrimsaint
There fixed it, this was the intent.

6 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Would he, can’t  really tell as I’ve never really heard of him. Is he another Che  Adams or does he have potential to progress. I would have thought if we lose Ings we would want a ready made replacement.

Scored more last season in the championship than Olly Watkins did before his move to Villa I think. If around 10m plus add ons it would be worth a risk in my opinion. Could even chuck them a striker back on loan for the season as well.

17 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Would he, can’t  really tell as I’ve never really heard of him. Is he another Che  Adams or does he have potential to progress. I would have thought if we lose Ings we would want a ready made replacement.

Why do you think Adams doesn't have potential to progress? He already had a pretty decent goalscoring season last season.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why do you think Adams doesn't have potential to progress? He already had a pretty decent goalscoring season last season.

Where do you think he can improve? He lacks composure and the ability to finish with both feet. I can’t see him developing in those areas, and that we see is all we'll have. 

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I think Che has been here 2 years and we saw in the Scotland performances that he is a very good player. I still think he can improve. 
It was meant as a compliment. I think Che had improved.

My question is if Armstrong is in the same vein?

Just now, egg said:

Where do you think he can improve? He lacks composure and the ability to finish with both feet. I can’t see him developing in those areas, and that we see is all we'll have. 

I think his composure has already improved in his time at the club. He is a better player now than in his opening 30 games for Saints.

27 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Would he, can’t  really tell as I’ve never really heard of him.

1 minute ago, Antrimsaint said:

My question is if Armstrong is in the same vein?

You should watch some highlights videos to get an idea of him at his best. Of course it comes with a caveat of being a highlights reel but it will still give you an idea of what he is capable off on a good day.

There is no chance Saints can sign a player who has already recently scored 22 PL goals in a season. So signing players like Adams and Armstrong and developing them is the way to go.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Not sure if misreading this, but how can you even imply Che hasn't progressed? He's a good player for us and has developed a lot since he's been here. 

But yes, armstrong looks a player. On paper he ticks all the boxes you could want when making a signing from the championship. Obviously you never really know until they get to play a run of games. But I am very excited by the link to him. 

Edited by Saint86

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

How can you even imply Che hasn't progressed. Ridiculous!

But yes, armstrong looks a player. On paper he ticks all the boxes you could want when making a signing from the championship. Obviously you never really know until they get to play a run of games. But I am very excited by the link to him. 

Trying reading on.

47 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I think his composure has already improved in his time at the club. He is a better player now than in his opening 30 games for Saints.

Agreed that he's improved while he's been with us. Hopefully there's more to come. 

£10 million plus add ons for Adam Armstrong would be an absolute bargain in today's market - for someone who scored 29 goals in the championship last season. Hoping we can gazump Marseille for Saliba too. That would be a brilliant signing. 

6 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

£10 million plus add ons for Adam Armstrong would be an absolute bargain in today's market - for someone who scored 29 goals in the championship last season. Hoping we can gazump Marseille for Saliba too. That would be a brilliant signing. 

Heard anything more about the Argentinian lad, Fizzy?

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

If true... maybe a direct Ings replacement for 2021/22. Or settling Armstrong in for a year ready to replace Ings as first choice at the end of his contract in 2022.

Don't worry, even if Ings stays this guy will get plenty of opportunities bearing in mind Ings injury record. 

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

With Stuart Armstrong playing in the middle, the possibility of Adam Armstrong up front, all we need is Stretch Armstrong in goal. Job done!

Bring David Armstrong in as coach 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, whelk said:

And get Lance Armstrong to supply the enhancements

21 minutes ago, Hayling Saint said:

57 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Bring David Armstrong in as coach 

33 minutes ago, whelk said:

And get Lance Armstrong to supply the enhancements

And Neil Armstrong to take us as high as the moon!......or maybe Lance Armstrong will have done that with his enhancements!

• Like 1

Perraud is a great signing. I think the fee was really good value. Voted best LB in Ligue 1 and has a lot of hype around his potential. Fast, good crosser, decent shot on him. Aggressive in duels and will suit our high intensity style. His recovery pace looks impressive and he’s going to need it!  

Adam Armstrong also seems like a good fit. £10m would be silly for a striker that scored 28 times for Blackburn in the Championship! Hopefully we get that one over the line. Will be good competition for Adams.

Looks like we will get some cover in for the FBs too. I’m starting to think we know what we’re doing this window. Just need to keep Ingsy and hopefully get him to sign that new deal…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Sell and reinvest.

Its the best we can do.

We won't, thats the problem. We will sell for £20/25m and replace with a c.£10m striker. Club will spin a load of properganda shit about how they couldn't do anything about it and tell us how amazing the replacement is(been watching them for years......etc etc). And guess what, we will accept it. 

1 minute ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

We won't, thats the problem. We will sell for £20/25m and replace with a c.£10m striker. Club will spin a load of properganda shit about how they couldn't do anything about it and tell us how amazing the replacement is(been watching them for years......etc etc). And guess what, we will accept it. 

As has been mentioned many times, since Gao has come in we have re-invested what we have received in fee's. If you look at every season since he's been here, we have spent what we have made. He doesn't put anything in, but he doesn't take anything out.

The issue has been we have wasted most of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

As has been mentioned many times, since Gao has come in we have re-invested what we have received in fee's. If you look at every season since he's been here, we have spent what we have made. He doesn't put anything in, but he doesn't take anything out.

The issue has been we have wasted most of it. 

Exactly, and if we sell ings for 20-25million, i can see us replacing with 2 strikers: Amrstrong and another one