Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

3 hours ago, Chez said:

is he the fella that was at Ajax, but they got rid when perhaps the fanbase felt they should stick with him a little longer? 

Personally, my eye was caught by Braithewaite, why I have not seen before for club or country. He had the touch, strength and looked a real threat on the turn. 

That would be the same Martin Braithwaite that struggled to displace Carillo when he was at Leganes and made Barca a bit of a laughing stock when they signed him as an emergency transfer because he was considered so poor. Maybe there is an argument that turds can indeed be polished. 

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Funny, I thought he was absolutely dross in this tournament.  Couldn't get in Middlesbrough side, and went to Spain.  Was a panic signing by Barcelona, and they'll be trying to rid of him this summer I'd think.

I follow Barcelona and watch all their games. He was brought in as an emergency signing and it smacked off desperation at the time, however it actually turned out to be a very good move for Braithewaite and Barcelona. For Barcelona by their standards he was cheap at £18 million Euros and he covered a void. He scored 8 goals and quite a few assists and worked his socks off whenever called upon.

I was gobsmacked when we bought him and thought WTF but i now quite admire the bloke who will forever be able to say I played over 50 games for Barcelona in the same team as Messi.  

On 07/07/2021 at 11:57, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's not in the interests of Blackburn or the player to rush things in case they get a better offer

yeah, Villa is a wild card if/when they get their Grealish money.

Smaller clubs are holding out for the drunken sailor who just got paid.

10 hours ago, Forester said:

Pelle’s holding up of ball and link play was superb, none of which is reflected in these stats.  He also excelled at a major international tournament.  He was a gem 

plus, his goal celebrations were pure joy.

4 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

That would be the same Martin Braithwaite that struggled to displace Carillo when he was at Leganes and made Barca a bit of a laughing stock when they signed him as an emergency transfer because he was considered so poor. Maybe there is an argument that turds can indeed be polished. 

Just that Carillo was a turd too far 

12 hours ago, Lazlo78 said:

Did the trail go cold on Thomas Delaney? Has put in a great shift this EC...

I think Ralph poured cold water on it an early stage saying that we weren't in the market for a DM.

11 hours ago, danjosaint said:

He's a young striker who seems to been around forever, also really think Delaney would be a real smart signing 

So do I but probably won't happen given Ralph's earlier comments.

Edited by Badger

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Funny, I thought he was absolutely dross in this tournament.  Couldn't get in Middlesbrough side, and went to Spain.  Was a panic signing by Barcelona, and they'll be trying to rid of him this summer I'd think.

not watched the other Denmark games, just against England, in which he looked sharp, strong and demonstrated some decent hold up play and a nice turn. We defended him well though. At 30, we wont be interested. I just liked what I saw in that particular game.

19 hours ago, Chez said:

is he the fella that was at Ajax, but they got rid when perhaps the fanbase felt they should stick with him a little longer? 

Personally, my eye was caught by Braithewaite, why I have not seen before for club or country. He had the touch, strength and looked a real threat on the turn. 

That's him - he was Dutch Football Talent of the Year whilst at Ajax before he was sold for about €20m to Nice

Was hoping for some good transfer news and logged in to fans eyeing up Braithwaite - genuinely gave me cold sweats and i started looking for the relevant transfer link thinking someone please save us!!!! Fortunately there isn't one 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Was hoping for some good transfer news and logged in to fans eyeing up Braithwaite - genuinely gave me cold sweats and i started looking for the relevant transfer link thinking someone please save us!!!! Fortunately there isn't one 😅

You're confusing 'fans' with Chez. 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Sounds like agent drumming up interest

🚨| Southampton, Tottenham, Newcastle & Wolves are ‘preparing offers’ for 20-year-old Schalke forward Matthew Hoppe, the American’s valuation is estimated at €4.5million #saintsfc [90min de]

Cheers. He looks to have something about him. That price seems cheap. He'd be an alternative to Redmond for not much money. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Cheers. He looks to have something about him. That price seems cheap. He'd be an alternative to Redmond for not much money. 

I’m nearly 63 and an alternative to Redmond ….although I never moan at team mates at walking football but do put hands on hips and gurn like him at times ;:-

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I’m nearly 63 and an alternative to Redmond ….although I never moan at team mates at walking football but do put hands on hips and gurn like him at times ;:-

Ha!! That's about the bar for a Redmond upgrade to be fair! 

• Haha 2

yeah liked the look of that hoppe - lots of potential being young and a bit of height as well

6 goals in a terrible schakle team when he only played 22 games and is 20 - if we got him for 4mil and the team think he can develop and straightaway they can use him as 1 of the back up strikers as he learns am in.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/5-players-to-watch-at-the-2021-gold-cup-alphonso-davies-leon-bailey-hoppe-16449?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=english&utm_content=post

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Sounds like agent drumming up interest

🚨| Southampton, Tottenham, Newcastle & Wolves are ‘preparing offers’ for 20-year-old Schalke forward Matthew Hoppe, the American’s valuation is estimated at €4.5million #saintsfc [90min de]

Partner him with Che McAdams and our attack would be HoppeScotch. 

Hmm, doesn't quite work. I'll go back to bed.

• Haha 2

Will only get a CB once Vestergaard is gone as thats usually how we do things.

This @Wheddsta guy is claiming quite a lot on his Twitter - looks like Palace have bid for about 50 players according to him...

11 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Ron im 60 bless ya....................feel your pain.

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

When was the last time we signed a player with a goalscoring record as good as Armstrong's? 28 in 40 is pretty phenomenal.

Mane got 16 in 26 one season but then only had 13 in 33 the year before he joined

Pelle’s wasn’t shabby for Feyenoord, was it?

Bit of a niche topic, but Will Lancefield, who is part of our recruitment team seems to be leaving to join Hearts.

I found the second link which is a year old but an interesting insight into scouting and recruitment at Saints, for anyone interested.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/william-lancefield-become-hearts-transfer-24502091

https://podbay.fm/p/football-fourcast/e/1592087906

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Screenshot 2021-07-11 at 08.47.40.png

It’d make sense if Mowbray does want Obafemi as he probably would be valued at £6-8m so suddenly if Blackburn get Saints up to around £10m cash for Armstrong it might suit all parties. Pace is a real weapon in the Champ and there’s been no indication RH is going to offer Michael a new contract.  Swansea wanted him before he got injured and he seemed set to go. 

21 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

It’d make sense if Mowbray does want Obafemi as he probably would be valued at £6-8m so suddenly if Blackburn get Saints up to around £10m cash for Armstrong it might suit all parties. Pace is a real weapon in the Champ and there’s been no indication RH is going to offer Michael a new contract.  Swansea wanted him before he got injured and he seemed set to go. 

Swap deals also get the better out of Newcastles 40% sell on. Means Blackburn keep more of the profit. 

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Swap deals also get the better out of Newcastles 40% sell on. Means Blackburn keep more of the profit. 

With one year left on his contract no way is Armstrong worth 15m.

if that was the case, Ings is worth 25m and clearly we won t get that money for him

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

With one year left on his contract no way is Armstrong worth 15m.

if that was the case, Ings is worth 25m and clearly we won t get that money for him

It all depends how desperate the buying club is, or how many suitors there are….

6 hours ago, TWar said:

Good point. I wonder if getting around sell on fees by swap deals is allowed? If a club loses millions from a sell on fee in this way I could imagine they would be none too pleased, and perhaps litigate a fair sell on amount (determined by some tribunal)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Good point. I wonder if getting around sell on fees by swap deals is allowed? If a club loses millions from a sell on fee in this way I could imagine they would be none too pleased, and perhaps litigate a fair sell on amount (determined by some tribunal)?

It's dodgy but I would imagine it to be hard to do anything against it. Best example I can think of was when Monaco bought both Moutinho and James Rodríguez from Porto. Moutinho had a particularly high sell on % to Sporting and there was some suspicion that James' fee was inflated and Moutinho's deflated. Nothing came out of it though.

14 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I'd be surprised.  They'll have to place a value against Obafemi for accounting and tax reasons, so they'll have a "total value" associated to the Armstrong transfer that I assume the % sell on fee will be associated to that.  That said, the value associated to Obafemi can be significantly deflated for convenience.