Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

18 hours ago, TWar said:

This would be exactly what I'd do. If we can get Armstrong and Danjuma in for Vest and Ings we have not dropped in quality imo as Salisu is more than ready to step up and upgrading at AM is huge for us.

You're laughing if you think we could get Danjuma for £15m. Double it at least.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, igsey said:

That's the thing. Throughout this thread, and others, people are saying that "we can get x for him" and "buy him for that". It ain't a computer game, and none of us have a clue what a player would cost/sell for, or what his wages are etc. It's bizarre. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, TWar said:

People used to criticise Pelle because he was wildly inconsistent. Like in 2014/15 where he went 14 games (4 months) without a goal or assist. He scored 6 goals in his first 8 games and then only 6 more in his next 30 that season. Same the following year, he scored 5 goals in his first 8 games and then again only six in the remaining 30 games. He had a horrible habit of starting strong and then crashing around december.

He was good but lets not rewrite history, Saints fans had every reason to be critical.

Yet when Adams inconsistencies are challenged, you defend him as being a good ‘second striker’. We didn’t need to rely on Pelle’s goals all season, but he was a good foil for Mane and a very good finisher.

Would he be right for us at the moment? Probably not, but at the time he was perfect.  

He must have been doing something right to have been in a team that recorded 2 of our highest league finishes 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If you look at Armstrong s goal, they are mostly tap ins or one on ones where he is afforded a lot of space, space he won t get in the PL.

Not convinced of his quality

If you mean this

Then ok fair enough, 13 or so are pens and tap in's. Wouldn't say mostly though. Looks composed on either foot.

50 minutes ago, igsey said:

Danjuma's pricetag has been widely reported as about £20m I suspect Ings will go for £20-25m, Vest will go for £15-20, Armstrong will come in for about £15m and Danjuma about £20m which will leave anywhere between 0 and £10m to replace Vestergaard and that sum will depend if we get a back up/loan or someone who can push for first team football.

16 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

If you mean this

Then ok fair enough, 13 or so are pens and tap in's. Wouldn't say mostly though. Looks composed on either foot.

Looks good, natural finisher, also, be nice to have a consistent penalty taker again 👍

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yet when Adams inconsistencies are challenged, you defend him as being a good ‘second striker’. We didn’t need to rely on Pelle’s goals all season, but he was a good foil for Mane and a very good finisher.

Would he be right for us at the moment? Probably not, but at the time he was perfect.  

He must have been doing something right to have been in a team that recorded 2 of our highest league finishes 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well that's because Adams is a second striker and Pelle was a dedicated 9 in a 4231, we didn't play two up top with Pelle. You know "second striker" is a role right? I'm not just making that up. Also Adams goal contributions this season (14 g+a) is level with Pelle in 14/15 despite playing almost 600 fewer minutes. The following season Pelle was more prolific with 18 g+a (even though he scored less goals) but the quality round him with Mane, Tadic, Bertrand et al. was elite.

And one player doesn't deserve the credit for a teams finishing position, the same could have be said about Cedric who was objectively poor. We got those good finishes primarily due to our insane defence who conceded 2nd and 5th least goals in the league in consecutive seasons, plus Mane who kicked in a hell of a lot for a winger, Tadic who was the leagues second best assister, and a mental midfield of Scheinderlin and Wanyama. Pelle's returns of 11 goals and 12 goals were decent but not "guide you to 6th/7th in the league" decent.

Edited by TWar

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Also really wouldn't agree with this at all - seriously unfair on the quality of goals he's scored and actually ignores his off the ball movement and the positions he takes up. Basically a very negative outlook to take.

Its a good mixture of long shots, 1on1 placed finishes, shots from just inside the box, couple of tap ins, penalties, diving headers. He's got pace, movement, and he's a goalscorer - a good one. Put him in a yolo hassenhuttle team and he's getting goals.

weren't most of the long shots by other players (and him getting the assist)? Harvey Elliot looks good in that video by the way.

I see finishes using both feet, and plenty of them - which is a great start. There's a nice half volley, a few flashes of composure and a nice diving header. Overall the majority of the finishes are `relatively straight forward' and with plenty of time to set the feet. That lack of time in the Prem forces strikers to shoot early and under pressure. An extra yard of pace means you can get those feet set and you score far more as a result.

Lots of good stuff in there, but we don't create anywhere near enough to just employ a reliable finisher. We need a few goals `out of nowhere', which is what Ings has given us. Hard to say from that video, if we will get it from Armstrong. Hope so. We didnt know we'd get that from Ings either I guess.

Like Ings, he doesn't look rapid, but might have just enough pace. Its always difficult to know if the skills will be transferrable at the highest level. Being OK at lots of things, which may work well in the Championship, may not be as desirable as being great at one or two.

I wasn't blown away like I was with the Patson Daka video, but I guess we are not the draw that Leicester are so no point in comparing.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Phenomenally two footed in all the best ways, uses two feet to dribble more effectively, can quickly adjust his stance to change how the ball approaches him, and has power in both feet not just accuracy. Looks very good from this. Would love to see him line up next to Adams, with Adams hold up play and passing and this guys pace a flexible finishing we'd really be on to something.

Yeah, agreed. I am personally very excited by this. He's been one of the better players in the champ for a while and the kind of one i've grown used to going to teams like west ham whilst saints can never go for them. To be getting him for £10-15m is great business. I can only assume the negativity from some posters is because they're just not aware of him, that and we always have a few that delight in being negative for the sake of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah, agreed. I am personally very excited by this. He's been one of the better players in the champ for a while and the kind of one i've grown used to going to teams like west ham whilst saints can never go for them. To be getting him for £10-15m is great business. I can only assume the negativity from some posters is because they're just not aware of him, that and we always have a few that delight in being negative for the sake of it.

The West Ham mention is interesting.  I assume you are thinking a little bit about Jarrod Bowen. He scored a similar rate of goals for Hull in the season and a half prior to his move, and then struggled, as West Ham did, to do much in the second half of 2019/20 season. Last season, often playing a wider forward role he played pretty well and scored a few decent goals, all be it only eight of them, as West Ham thrived. He may kick on this season, but at this moment in time I don't regret us not being in for him and having Che instead. Having said that they perhaps are very similar levels of player. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

You obviously dont know anything about Patrick Bamford.

He meets the criteria of what we were discussing (a striker who played well in his first PL season after playing in the Championship the season before). So it is you who is wrong! 🙄

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He meets the criteria of what we were discussing (a striker who played well in his first PL season after playing in the Championship the season before). So it is you who is wrong! 🙄

No he doesnt.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It was his first full season in the PL after a Championship season the year before. That was the discussion. I know he has been at PL clubs before.

He had 1.5 crap seasons in the premier league after a good season in the championship with Middlesboro. So last season wasn't his first full season in the PL.  You fucked up, accept it.

47B9061E-5775-4F77-8746-15E73A45DB3A.jpeg.dbeddcc6f5d0cf517023916bdd6e08be.jpeg

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

It was his first full season in the PL after a Championship season the year before. That was the discussion. I know he has been at PL clubs before.

Still not quite the same though is it. He had a good season in the Champ and then had a good season in the PL after getting his team promoted. Just like when we came up in 2012 and kept the core of our team from L1 together, they all had a good understanding and played well together as a team.

Having a good season in a struggling Champ team, and then being signed by a PL team for the next season, is clearly a very different scenario so you can't make an accurate comparison.

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

If you mean this

Adam Armstrong is quality. Can score with both feet. Hope we can get it done. 

5 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Two footed so a step up from Che Adams then

Different skills to Che by the looks of things. A lot smaller and less powerful than Che, weaker too, but looks quicker and a better finisher. Hopefully they will compliment eachother nicely as Che does best when he has a fast player to latch onto his through balls.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Am I the only one anxious that we get this deal done and dusted? I don't want us getting outbid for the sake of a few mill.

It's not in the interests of Blackburn or the player to rush things in case they get a better offer

6 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Am I the only one anxious that we get this deal done and dusted? I don't want us getting outbid for the sake of a few mill.

I was getting anxious that no one had posted a "I'm getting anxious" post until now.

We're penny pinching, we're dithering, we're going get caught with our pants down, we've been caught napping, why can't we just get this over the line, we're only putting this in the media to shift season tickets, 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I was getting anxious that no one had posted a "I'm getting anxious" post until now.

We're penny pinching, we're dithering, we're going get caught with our pants down, we've been caught napping, why can't we just get this over the line, we're only putting this in the media to shift season tickets, 

Now that you mention him, what happened to alpine? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TWar said:

People used to criticise Pelle because he was wildly inconsistent. Like in 2014/15 where he went 14 games (4 months) without a goal or assist. He scored 6 goals in his first 8 games and then only 6 more in his next 30 that season. Same the following year, he scored 5 goals in his first 8 games and then again only six in the remaining 30 games. He had a horrible habit of starting strong and then crashing around december.

He was good but lets not rewrite history, Saints fans had every reason to be critical.

Pelle’s holding up of ball and link play was superb, none of which is reflected in these stats.  He also excelled at a major international tournament.  He was a gem 

• Like 2

I can't see us getting Armstrong if Danny stays and what I read into that is that Danny is def going this summer.. If we have actually made a bid for Armstrong then I wouldn't be surprised if Danny's departure might be a little further along that we all think. Pure speculation and I'm in no way claiming to be ITK!! 

10 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

I can't see us getting Armstrong if Danny stays and what I read into that is that Danny is def going this summer.. If we have actually made a bid for Armstrong then I wouldn't be surprised if Danny's departure might be a little further along that we all think. Pure speculation and I'm in no way claiming to be ITK!! 

A bunch of our ITK's say we wanted Armstrong as well as Ings as he is flexible and we need the depth.

3 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

I thought Dolberg looked like a really promising young forward yesterday, offered something different to Saints' current forward options

is he the fella that was at Ajax, but they got rid when perhaps the fanbase felt they should stick with him a little longer? 

Personally, my eye was caught by Braithewaite, why I have not seen before for club or country. He had the touch, strength and looked a real threat on the turn. 

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It’s hard to know what to believe.  The general gist seems to be no clubs that Danny wants to join actually want him at the moment, in which case he’ll stay.

And what, we have to let him go for free next summer. Joy.

We are three weeks away from Danny Ings sat in a press conference saying "yes, well the manager and the chairman are very clear that the club expects to be in the Champions League regularly in the future so I know I am joining a great club with huge ambition to play at the highest level".

Just after his grinning photoshoot holding up an Everton/Spurs/Villa shirt.

On 07/07/2021 at 14:00, Chez said:

ts of good stuff in there, but we don't create anywhere near enough to just employ a reliable finisher. We need a few goals `out of nowhere', which is what Ings has given us. Hard to say from that video, if we will get it from Armstron

Great post. Looking at the highlights reel totally agree. Would be good to know from some Blackburn fans. As said looks like a hit early, hit hard, find the corners striker as opposed to more finesse. I always felt pelle, Ings types could make a goal rather than just be on the end of chances.

will be interesting to find out if he can make the step up if he comes.

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

Personally, my eye was caught by Braithewaite, why I have not seen before for club or country. He had the touch, strength and looked a real threat on the turn

Fun fact: he's worth a quarter of a billion dollars after successfully investing his football money in US property.

He could actually buy us.

45 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

And what, we have to let him go for free next summer. Joy.

Out of the 3 possible outcomes - leaving this summer, leaving next summer on a free or signing a new contract - I would rate that as the least likely.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

is he the fella that was at Ajax, but they got rid when perhaps the fanbase felt they should stick with him a little longer? 

Personally, my eye was caught by Braithewaite, why I have not seen before for club or country. He had the touch, strength and looked a real threat on the turn. 

Funny, I thought he was absolutely dross in this tournament.  Couldn't get in Middlesbrough side, and went to Spain.  Was a panic signing by Barcelona, and they'll be trying to rid of him this summer I'd think.