Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

On 28/06/2021 at 17:53, Appy said:

Firpo off to Leeds

we have seemingly been in the same market for left backs, whether thats true, who knows, but it will be interesting to see how he and our own new left bak signing compare.

38 minutes ago, Chez said:

we have seemingly been in the same market for left backs, whether thats true, who knows, but it will be interesting to see how he and our own new left bak signing compare.

Indeed. 

Considering our signing will need to start pretty much every game when fit due to lack of cover I am happier to bring in Perraud who comes off the back of two seasons playing lots of games rather than someone who hasn't had regular minutes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

What's his ITK criteria like, MLG?  I recognise the name.

Not the best source by a long way! Does some limited media work, a Twitter blue tick verified account, Man Utd fan with a large twitter following which includes Simon Peach.

Has more credibility than a random twitter Man Utd fan. Interviewing Gary Neville for a Man Utd fan TV station...

20210629_212823.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

Expect Brandon Williams to sign on loan.

Expect Alex McCarthy to sign a new contract, sadly.

Expect Mario Lemina to leave permanently and at cut price.

Expect we have no interest in Adam Armstrong, eve though most of us could see he'd probably do a job in the Prem.

Expect no surprises and no major deals, lots of bargain hunting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Expect we have no interest in Adam Armstrong, eve though most of us could see he'd probably do a job in the Prem.

More likely we are interested in Armstrong but the price won't come down to what we want to pay

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

More likely we are interested in Armstrong but the price won't come down to what we want to pay

With only a year left on his contract Blackburn aren't in a strong negotiating position. Same with us and any interest someone shows in Ings or Vestergaard. 

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Lemina leaving at cut price is inevitable. Hes a year left and has hardly been pulling up trees with his performances the last few years. We paid £15m for him four years ago so would be happy recouping a third of that tbh.

It has been confirmed by Dan Sheldon that we do have interest in Armstrong, just looking some leeway on the price. Inevitable bargaining from both sides as he has a short contract to run.

If we manage to sign Perraud, Williams, Armstrong and a winger, while keeping the likes of Ings and Vesty it will be a great window. Add Delaney in there and it'll be a superb window.

Not to mention we're making good ground on clearing some of the deadwood from the squad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Lemina leaving at cut price is inevitable. Hes a year left and has hardly been pulling up trees with his performances the last few years. We paid £15m for him four years ago so would be happy recouping a third of that tbh.

It has been confirmed by Dan Sheldon that we do have interest in Armstrong, just looking some leeway on the price. Inevitable bargaining from both sides as he has a short contract to run.

If we manage to sign Perraud, Williams, Armstrong and a winger, while keeping the likes of Ings and Vesty it will be a great window. Add Delaney in there and it'll be a superb window.

Not to mention we're making good ground on clearing some of the deadwood from the squad.

I can't disagree with any of the above. I don't see us signing Delaney or any other CM. Personally I'd get in another CB and cash in on Vestergaard for reasonable price on the back of the Euro's.

Bednarek is not good enough to be a starter, e's like Stephens now, dependable and will put in a shift but you're sure to get the mistake or two per game.

Either a new CB or a new GK would rejuvenate the back five, that would install some confidence there. Plus a full back as back up.

A midfielder or winger that can actually run at defences and not pass sideways, and a new striker would be perfect.

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

With only a year left on his contract Blackburn aren't in a strong negotiating position. Same with us and any interest someone shows in Ings or Vestergaard. 

Sure. I mainly take issue with the idea that we're not interested in him and blind to his qualities, which is more negative, club-bashing nonsense. 

Maybe we'll get him but I'd say there's a fair chance that another club will come with a more attractive proposition, either in terms of money or to challenge further up the table 

I think if we retain Ings we don't need another striker. Ings and Adams are a great pair with Tella available as backup as well as 10s who can play that role. Speaking of such, if Armstrong can truly play anywhere in the front 4 he will be a perfect signing for us, definitely need a new 10 though if we don't get him. Agree that Bednarek is fine for a club of our size, not inspiring but perfectly serviceable starting CB. A good window for me would see us sign Perroud, Williams, Armstrong, a new keeper and a back up fullback who is young and cheap. If we sell Vest then add a CB to that, be nice if they are good enough to start alongside Salisu but not essential as Bednarek is probably fine.

New GK (Macca)

KWP(new RB) Vest (Stephens) Salisu (Bednarek) Perraud (Williams)

JWP (Smallbone) Romeu (Diallo)

Armstrong (Walcott) Armstrong (Djenepo)

Ings (Tella) Adams (Redmond)

Would be two for every position as requested and a strong starting 11.

• Confused 1

Disagree re striker. I mean Ings will likely go anyway, in which case his replacement is the most importsnt decision to get right this summer, quite likely with many targets having already moved by the time his situation evolves.

Even if he does stay we need one.

Reasons:

1. Ings does tend to pick up injuries

2. Tella totally unproven in terms of actually scoring goals

3. Long, Obafemi, N'Lundulu should all be elsewhere this season

4. Walcott and Redmond can do a job if needed but aren't really a goal threat.

A player like Armstrong (genuine striker, natural finisher) would add a good option, from the bench initially. Also takes the pressure off slightly if Ings were to leave in Jan or on a free.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 4

"It is also risky for the player, because when you are a player who has injury problems and suddenly a big injury comes in the last season, it can be over very quickly. I think this is also not always a benefit, also a risk they take.”

This is part of what Ralph said about Ings' contract situation, seems the club think he won't want to risk doing a Victor Valdes and picking up a serious injury right before he is out of contract and will sign the deal offered if he doesn't get a move. In any case, we need Armstrong even with Ings staying put, we are utterly toothless when he doesn't play.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Just think what Armstrong would be worth in 2 years time if he hits the ground running?

Get him for 15m with add ons would be an amazing deal for both clubs.

we have had a lot of these ifs. what if lemina hit the ground running. what if che adams also. add to that djenepo boufal and so many more. it is a big if and unlikely the club will prioritise those funds on a striker. after a couple full backs and perhaps an AM, we probably have near nothing left and any incomings will be dependent on money generated by the outgoings

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

saints swimming in the shallow end of the pool again

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Gee, its like being in the room with Martin Semmens and Ralph #ITK

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

we have had a lot of these ifs. what if lemina hit the ground running. what if che adams also. add to that djenepo boufal and so many more. it is a big if and unlikely the club will prioritise those funds on a striker. after a couple full backs and perhaps an AM, we probably have near nothing left and any incomings will be dependent on money generated by the outgoings

Every signing for us is a gamble because proven premier league quality costs £50 million plus 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Every signing for us is a gamble because proven premier league quality costs £50 million plus 

You mean like Cancelo, Morato, Keita, Mendy, Torres, NDombele, Di Maria ......?  Every player is a gamble.  Would rather we gamble £10m for a player than £50m.

50 minutes ago, Mowgli said:

You mean like Cancelo, Morato, Keita, Mendy, Torres, NDombele, Di Maria ......?  Every player is a gamble.  Would rather we gamble £10m for a player than £50m.

Cancelo and Ndombele have turned it around pretty well this season. I agree with the overall point though.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mowgli said:

Completely agree, I never understand why there's this obsession with the assumption bigger fee = better player.

Transfer fees are utterly subjective, some of the factors that help determine a transfer fee have absolutely nothing to do with how good the player is (contract length for instance)

What Ralph Hasenhuttl said about Thomas Delaney transfer with Borussia Dortmund move linked - HampshireLive

Interesting line in Hampshire Live's piece playing down Thomas Delaney as a target for Saints:
Saints will instead look to offer an alternative in the number six position by signing a flexible full-back who is comfortable stepping into the midfield.

Reads like a very Ainsley Maitland-Niles type of signing. who we've been linked with again? Or am I reading too much into it?

32 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Completely agree, I never understand why there's this obsession with the assumption bigger fee = better player.

Transfer fees are utterly subjective, some of the factors that help determine a transfer fee have absolutely nothing to do with how good the player is (contract length for instance)

Players look good in a team that suits their style of play , the new manager gives him a new role and they look poor and lose confidence then only pick up at a new club . Jose being a master of destroying a player .

7 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

What Ralph Hasenhuttl said about Thomas Delaney transfer with Borussia Dortmund move linked - HampshireLive

Interesting line in Hampshire Live's piece playing down Thomas Delaney as a target for Saints:
Saints will instead look to offer an alternative in the number six position by signing a flexible full-back who is comfortable stepping into the midfield.

Reads like a very Ainsley Maitland-Niles type of signing. who we've been linked with again? Or am I reading too much into it?

Surely it'll be somebody like Kimmich :) 

Good shout on AMN, it's not really a common thing to find a player who can do both those jobs.

I like AMN - I think he's a good player, but he surely needs a move where he 100% plays.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TWar said:

I think if we retain Ings we don't need another striker. Ings and Adams are a great pair with Tella available as backup as well as 10s who can play that role. Speaking of such, if Armstrong can truly play anywhere in the front 4 he will be a perfect signing for us, definitely need a new 10 though if we don't get him. Agree that Bednarek is fine for a club of our size, not inspiring but perfectly serviceable starting CB. A good window for me would see us sign Perroud, Williams, Armstrong, a new keeper and a back up fullback who is young and cheap. If we sell Vest then add a CB to that, be nice if they are good enough to start alongside Salisu but not essential as Bednarek is probably fine.

New GK (Macca)

KWP(new RB) Vest (Stephens) Salisu (Bednarek) Perraud (Williams)

JWP (Smallbone) Romeu (Diallo)

Armstrong (Walcott) Armstrong (Djenepo)

Ings (Tella) Adams (Redmond)

Would be two for every position as requested and a strong starting 11.

Not sure I agree with that.

Tella would be a starting CAM i hope next year (over redmond/djenpo/walcott), with Stu being the other. Adam Armstrong would be signed to play up front with Che or Ings, with obafemi possibly still being here as another option. With our finances, we don't sign a player like Adam Armstrong (with his goal scoring record) and then play him out of position... (or at least i bloody hope not!)

Also, i think its very unlikely that we end the transfer window with both vest and ings - happy to be wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Not sure I agree with that.

Tella would be a starting CAM i hope next year (over redmond/djenpo/walcott), with Stu being the other. Adam Armstrong would be signed to play up front with Che or Ings, with obafemi possibly still being here as another option. With our finances, we don't sign a player like Adam Armstrong (with his goal scoring record) and then play him out of position... (or at least i bloody hope not!)

Also, i think its very unlikely that we end the transfer window with both vest and ings - happy to be wrong.

Tella is much much less effective at CAM for me. We need someone as good as Stuart Armstrong at CAM as our chance creation numbers are dreadful. IMO Tella only really looks good up top. I thought the same about Adam Armstrong but Leach has said he plays comfortably anywhere across the front 4 and he has said as such himself so I don't know if him as a 10 counts as out of position. Can't be sure though as I have watched him a grand total of 0 times.

Edited by TWar

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Good shout on AMN, it's not really a common thing to find a player who can do both those jobs.

I like AMN - I think he's a good player, but he surely needs a move where he 100% plays.

Hasn't Maehle played midfield too? Seems unlikely we'd be in for him (even though he's been linked for ages) given he moved not that long ago. 

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Back in the day I used to play LB, RB or DM. I could use either foot (really bugs me that some professionals can't) but with a bit more accuracy in the left and could generate more power with the right. I was good at winning the ball and passing it to others who could do more with it. I wasn't too shabby at putting crosses in (for the level I played at) and took a decent corner too. Just a pity the level I played at was pretty shit! 🤣🤣

Shame about us not wanting to make a move for Delaney. I like what I've seen of him.

Maehle would be a dream, but I fear that ship has long since sailed. Could have really done with bringing him in last summer, as well as KWP.

I guess what we could really do with is a Nick Holmes. Pretty sure I saw him play every posisition for Saints, except maybe in goal - but it wouldn't surprise if he played there as well, when a 'keeper went of injuredback in the days of only 1 sub being named/allowed).

Not sure if AMN is that player, but could be worth a go......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mowgli said:

None of those aside Torres were proven PL quality and Torres was a panic buy and his legs had gone (plus he helped them win a champions league).

Van Dijk, Mane, Walker, Mahrez, Chillwell etc those are the sort of players that were expensive but not really gambles .

21 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Atta boy! Onwards and Upwards. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

None of those aside Torres were proven PL quality and Torres was a panic buy and his legs had gone (plus he helped them win a champions league).

Van Dijk, Mane, Walker, Mahrez, Chillwell etc those are the sort of players that were expensive but not really gambles .

Yeah, sorry, I probably read your comment out of context.  The reality is that no 'proven' Premier League player on sale for £50m would come here.   We couldn't afford the fee or the wages.  Which is why we gamble on signings like ...... VVD and Mane for £13m and £12m respectively.  Selling them on has kept us solvent and as a result other promising youngsters see Southampton as a good stepping stone.  Win-Win really.  Of course some don't work out but apart from Carrillo we've always managed to loan out those that don't 'fit'.  Adam Armstrong clearly fits the bill but as with all the players, we have to be patient and wait for them to get up to speed.  Which can sometimes take a whole season.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

👀

Ha wish i was ITK. As it's July 1st I just think we'll get the inevitable "Walcott joins" stories.

Unless Benitez realises what a player he's about to lose and tries to intervene at the last minute... 😄

Just imagine.....we beat Everton 1-0 in Rafa's first game and......wait for it......Theo scores the only goal in his first "official" game having signed permanently from them. Unlikely I know but imagine the "fallout in the land of dugouts"