Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Would not be surprised if JWP did move on when his stock his high. But would have thought it will be to a club where he will win something, such as Manchester City. Talk of a Villa bid could just be a ploy by his agent to get more realistic buyers to put bids on the table.

57 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Would not be surprised if JWP did move on when his stock his high. But would have thought it will be to a club where he will win something, such as Manchester City. Talk of a Villa bid could just be a ploy by his agent to get more realistic buyers to put bids on the table.

Why would other clubs let this rumour influence their decision? If it was widely known agents did this, then the method would have no credibility with clubs as they'd be aware what the purpose was.

Edited by Matthew Le God

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why would other clubs let this rumour influence their decision? If it was widely known agents did this, then the method would have no credibility with clubs as they'd be aware what the purpose was.

Unless there were also true stories leaked, in which case, how would you know which were credible?

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If we get 60-70m i seriously would present that option and leave Ralph make a decision.

getting that sort of money would allow us to dip in a depreciated market and bring in the right sort of players to mould Ralph s style.

I would tell Villa yes, if JWP wants to go there then great and before making the deal official, I would use the 70m loan and bring it 2-3 players before we are quoted horrific prices as clubs would know we have money to spend.

There are so many gems out there available for littler  money, we just have to get our scouting right so let s at least make a push for it.

Whilst we are at it, I would sell Vestergaard too, and bring in a leader at center back to get this defense organized.

Sell 2 keepers out of 3. Get a new number one in who can at least influence our matches in a good way.

And if Ings doesn t want to sign sell him too.

It ll be a make or break season but at least gives the opportunity of starting afresh and stop going sideways as we have been in the last 4-5 years.

This is another version of the bat shit crazy theory sometimes prevalent on here which sees the route to progress being by selling our best three players.

In my view that would be madness.  There are about ten players more deserving of being sold than JWP, Ings or Vest.  It is clear that we need as a minimum a left back, a striker and a creative player.  If we sell our three most lucrative assets we then have six gambles rather than three.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

What's Prowse's value now?

£30m?

Are you kidding? Villa have been buying Championship players for £33m.

Ward-Prowse is a very experienced Premier League player, club captain, England International with 4 years left on his contract. He is worth £50m+ to us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

What's Prowse's value now?

£30m?

Value very different to selling price. With 4 years and only 26 and fitness levels and ability if we were to sell for less than 60m it would be a very bad move. 

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Would be good, but don’t you think the club would be tempted around £40-45m?

Nah, not for the PR chaos that would cause. And 40-45m wouldn't provide us anything really.

It would need to be something close to our record received fee for him to go anywhere in my opinion. Contract length, captain, PR stuff etc. Unless there is some sort of instruction put in my Gao to let him go cheap, then only City and co would be able to afford him.

2 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I think if 40 came in, he goes.

We'd be mental to give him up for that. Top player, key to how we play, one of the best holding mids in the league statistically, and provided 15 goal involvements from deep. He is worth well more than that to us. Being top in the league for goals from set plays and assists from set plays in worth that alone, must have won us atleast 10 pts from his set pieces this season that others wouldn't have.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nah, not for the PR chaos that would cause. And 40-45m wouldn't provide us anything really.

It would need to be something close to our record received fee for him to go anywhere in my opinion. Contract length, captain, PR stuff etc. Unless there is some sort of instruction put in my Gao to let him go cheap, then only City and co would be able to afford him.

Yeah that makes sense but equally I wouldn’t be surprised if around that maybe even £50m if they were tempted. 

10 minutes ago, TWar said:

We'd be mental to give him up for that. Top player, key to how we play, one of the best holding mids in the league statistically, and provided 15 goal involvements from deep. He is worth well more than that to us. Being top in the league for goals from set plays and assists from set plays in worth that alone, must have won us atleast 10 pts from his set pieces this season that others wouldn't have.

Yeah, but I can't see us as a club, in the situation we're in turning down serious cash.

40+ is serious cash for us with Gao here.

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Yeah, but I can't see us as a club, in the situation we're in turning down serious cash.

40+ is serious cash for us with Gao here.

It's not like Gao is going to see that money though. If we sold JWP we'd have every penny of that to reinvest, as has been the case with all transfers. And in this day and age £40m doesn't get you anything really, we certainly wouldn't be able to replace JWP with £40m and then have enough money to improve defense/goalkeeper/number 10 etc. Would be a pointless sale really.

As an owner you'd probably look at selling your captain/best player as a devaluing exercise for your asset anyway.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's not like Gao is going to see that money though. If we sold JWP we'd have every penny of that to reinvest, as has been the case with all transfers. And in this day and age £40m doesn't get you anything really, we certainly wouldn't be able to replace JWP with £40m and then have enough money to improve defense/goalkeeper/number 10 etc. Would be a pointless sale really.

As an owner you'd probably look at selling your captain/best player as a devaluing exercise for your asset anyway.

Actually that makes a lot of sense, I think I agree it would cost a lot for us to part with him.  Maybe not £0m but certainly more than my initial estimate. 

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Selling to another premier league side, minimum of £60m, and even that would be on the low side given how important he is to us. 

£80m probably ok and would allow us to invest back into the team. 

Lol £60m. Rack em up Garrett,  I want some of your gear.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lol £60m. Rack em up Garrett,  I want some of your gear.

Not saying he’s a £60m player, but he’s worth more than that to us, in his prime, and selling to a rival…would be daft to sell for anything other than stupid money IMO. 

8 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If we get 60-70m i seriously would present that option and leave Ralph make a decision.

getting that sort of money would allow us to dip in a depreciated market and bring in the right sort of players to mould Ralph s style.

I would tell Villa yes, if JWP wants to go there then great and before making the deal official, I would use the 70m loan and bring it 2-3 players before we are quoted horrific prices as clubs would know we have money to spend.

There are so many gems out there available for littler  money, we just have to get our scouting right so let s at least make a push for it.

Whilst we are at it, I would sell Vestergaard too, and bring in a leader at center back to get this defense organized.

Sell 2 keepers out of 3. Get a new number one in who can at least influence our matches in a good way.

And if Ings doesn t want to sign sell him too.

It ll be a make or break season but at least gives the opportunity of starting afresh and stop going sideways as we have been in the last 4-5 years.

JWP will not go to Villa, no matter what they offer, doesn't matter what Saints think. Doubt he would go anywhere, but if he did it would only be to a club that is a serious step up, i.e. so-called Big 6 or Europe, maybe Leicester. Villa does not give him much more than Saints (other than a pay rise), a move would be for an honour (trophy) or CL.

17 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

JWP will not go to Villa, no matter what they offer, doesn't matter what Saints think. Doubt he would go anywhere, but if he did it would only be to a club that is a serious step up, i.e. so-called Big 6 or Europe, maybe Leicester. Villa does not give him much more than Saints (other than a pay rise), a move would be for an honour (trophy) or CL.

Am not so sure. I can see Villa challenging the established order in a few seasons. I think they are very ambitious and will certainly look to emulate Leicester.

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Am not so sure. I can see Villa challenging the established order in a few seasons. I think they are very ambitious and will certainly look to emulate Leicester.

Take Grealish out of that team and they're bang average, as their form when he was injured showed last season. They may have a bit of money to throw around but would take significant investment to see them break into the top 6. They could just as easy regress to a 13-17th place side again

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 09:01, SKD said:

One that can come in and start from day dot would be a start. If we have a salisu incident with ings replacement we’ll be in the shit. 

I really think Ings (or any main goal scorer) isn’t the sort of position we can try and be clever with. 

There must be some Ings / Minamino type players out there who aren’t quite good enough to break in to a top 4 team, but would score a few for us.. Origi or something. 

Origi? 🤣🤣🤣
the man is fucking shit and incapable of being a main man for a club.

Glad you re not our head scout.

I can confirm there are plenty of players in europe who can do that and are not that expensive.

We just need to get our scouting right which we haven t since 2016

• Like 1

Villa have a bit of cash but they are much further away than the likes of Leicester or even Everton.

They have two top players in Grealish and Martinez. Three players who are decent but honestly not much better than we have in Cash, Watkins, and Konsa. And then a bunch of very average players, some might get into our side as we are below average in those positions but definitely are a mile off top 6 worthy. No Grealish and they crumble to bits immediately. Buendia looks handy but he is very much unproven in the prem and, while his underlying numbers were good, is certainly not a certain bet.

Edited by TWar

7 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Origi? 🤣🤣🤣
the man is fucking shit and incapable of being a main man for a club.

Glad you re not our head scout.

I can confirm there are plenty of players in europe who can do that and are not that expensive.

We just need to get our scouting right which we haven t since 2016

Not being able to be the main man at Liverpool is a bit different to us... ask ings..

54 minutes ago, Nolan said:

this bloke is a realist...

Those villa fans saying that aren’t wrong though, are they. Villa would be a much better move than us at the moment. 

10 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I very much doubt it, the 4 years left on his contract puts the club in a very strong negotiating position. 

Will also depend on what is in his contract, and whether the club agreed to let him know of any bids over a certain amount, or from Top 6 (which Villa aren't of course).

According to Google..............🤣🤣

What is James Ward-Prowse worth?
With a market value of £27.00m, James Ward-Prowse is ranked number 1 among all players of at Southampton. With a market value of £27.00m, James Ward-Prowse is ranked number 78 among all players of the Premier League.28 May 2021

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Based on recent performance from the marketing and PR guys, (eg hacking off a few thousand loyal season ticket holders in favour of high rollers) do you think they know what PR chaos was if they were stood in the middle of it?

19 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

He isn't worth what he'd cost to buy, and he isn't good enough to go to a team that'd turn his head.

Look forward to the "we managed to keep Ward-Prowse!" as we flog Ings for £20m to West Ham or some shit.

I like JWP's attitude and the way he has turned around his performances here since the early days but agree entirely with your observations. He fits perfectly the notion of the curates egg but falls short as an accomplished all-rounder. 

I can't see anybody coming in for him in all honesty. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Take Grealish out of that team and they're bang average, as their form when he was injured showed last season. They may have a bit of money to throw around but would take significant investment to see them break into the top 6. They could just as easy regress to a 13-17th place side again

You can say that about a lot of teams

Fact is they have Grealish, and they are willing to spend money

I'd don't like Villa much but you cannot deny they have serious intentions of breaking that top 6

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

You can say that about a lot of teams

Fact is they have Grealish, and they are willing to spend money

I'd don't like Villa much but you cannot deny they have serious intentions of breaking that top 6

Just cause they intend to do it doesn't mean it will happen. It will not.

3 minutes ago, GarrettIvo said:

Just cause they intend to do it doesn't mean it will happen. It will not.

But what would be more attractive as a player? ‘We want to break into the top 6 and we’re signing XYZ to do so’ or ‘we want to tread water and potentially finish top half’. 

If it happens or not is another debate, but clearly the intent would be attractive to players like JWP. 

Edited by SKD
  • Like 1