Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

He ain't worse than Bertrand ffs 😅

Anyway... Back to work. 🤣

Guess that's why top clubs are lining up to sign Bertrand and Spurs wouldn't even register Rose a spot in their squad...

Edited by TWar

Is this the new ‘people think we can do better than a European Championship winner in Cedric!?’ - how’d that one work out?

Rose is not good enough for us, his attitude stinks, and we can do much better. Bertrand is a far better player, letting him go to replace him with Rose would be so stupid. 

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Is this the new ‘people think we can do better than a European Championship winner in Cedric!?’

I think it's just this one guy, and all he has in the way of a point is repeating his opinion and laughing emoji's so I don't see it catching on. When he provides an answer to "If Rose is so good, why has he not played professional football for a year and nearly ended up at trabzonspor?" then I think the point of view will be worth considering.

Edited by TWar

3 hours ago, nta786 said:

I'd take Rose as a back up to be fair, he started the 2019 Champions League final and would be an okay back up. However, I'd only offer £30k a week max; as I said before pay should be linked to quality on the pitch (hence why I'm not a fan of offering Walcott £75k to sit on our bench)...

With all due respect…premier league footballers do not earn £30k / week these days, unless you’re an upcoming youth prospect, let alone an ex England International.

Majority of our squad are on somewhere between £55k-80k/ week, and if we signed Rose I’m sure he’d be towards the top of that bracket.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

With all due respect…premier league footballers do not earn £30k / week these days, unless you’re an upcoming youth prospect, let alone an ex England International.

Majority of our squad are on somewhere between £55k-80k/ week, and if we signed Rose I’m sure he’d be towards the top of that bracket.

Adams, Salisu, Bednarek, and KWP are all on less than £30k for us. JWP, and Armstrong are both below £55k. Wages are inflating but we still have a lot of players who are cheaper.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/southampton-fc/payroll/

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Adams, Salisu, Bednarek, and KWP are all on less than £30k for us. JWP, and Armstrong are both below £55k. Wages are inflating but we still have a lot of players who are cheaper.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/southampton-fc/payroll/

That article is nonsense. We don't have a wage bill as large as ours with senior players like those you listed on tiny wages. 

32 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think it's just this one guy, and all he has in the way of a point is repeating his opinion and laughing emoji's so I don't see it catching on. When he provides an answer to "If Rose is so good, why has he not played professional football for a year and nearly ended up at trabzonspor?" then I think the point of view will be worth considering.

Look right.

Some bloke mentioned 4 players above.

Aarnholt is being linked with Barca.

Newcastle look nailed on for Willems.

Alioski is leaving Leeds United and somehow I think he's aiming better than us.

And Manchester United wouldn't let Williams go 4 months ago.

And as for Henry we can't offer Brentford anywhere near the sort of money that would excite them for one of their best players.

I don't know who people think we're going to sign.

Edited by JustinSFC

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That article is nonsense. We don't have a wage bill as large as ours with senior players like those you listed on tiny wages. 

You got a source on the size of our wage bill? I think the numbers on that seemed reasonably sensible. I know atleast the Salisu one lines up with what was reported around the time as his wage.

2 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Look right.

Some bloke mentioned 4 players above.

Aarnholt is being linked with Barca.

Newcastle look nailed on for Willems.

Alioski is leaving Leeds United and somehow I think he's aiming better than us.

And Manchester United wouldn't let Williams go 4 months ago.

And as for Henry we can't offer Brentford anywhere near the sort of money that would excite them for one of their best players.

Newcastle aren't significantly more appealing than us, I don't think that rules us out getting someone of his quality. Why would someone leaving Leeds who they don't want  be aiming better than us? We can aim higher than second choice players from newly promoted sides. Williams wasn't allowed to leave as United were worried about depth until the end of the season with fixture congestion, there is every chance he will leave now given he barely plays. And if Brentford don't come up we could easily stretch to the £15m or so he is quoted to cost.

Also all this is irrelevant because Rose is not very good, you responded to my post with a direct question in it but then responded to someone else. Why do you think Rose is any good when he couldn't even make the spurs squad and hence hasn't played football in a year, and was rejected last minute by trabzonspor?

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Newcastle aren't significantly more appealing than us, I don't think that rules us out getting someone of his quality. Why would someone leaving Leeds who they don't want  be aiming better than us? We can aim higher than second choice players from newly promoted sides. Williams wasn't allowed to leave as United were worried about depth until the end of the season with fixture congestion, there is every chance he will leave now given he barely plays. And if Brentford don't come up we could easily stretch to the £15m or so he is quoted to cost.

Also all this is irrelevant because Rose is not very good, you responded to my post with a direct question in it but then responded to someone else. Why do you think Rose is any good when he couldn't even make the spurs squad and hence hasn't played football in a year, and was rejected last minute by trabzonspor?

We're not fucking spurs mate.

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

We're not fucking spurs mate.

We can do better than lads who don't even make the spurs squad though and don't play football all season. We are also not trabzonspor.

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

We can do better than lads who don't even make the spurs squad though and don't play football all season. We are also not trabzonspor.

Like errrrr Walker Peters....

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Like errrrr Walker Peters....

Think you might be confusing "on the bench, used in cup games" with "not even registered, not training with the first team, watches games from his couch with a bag of crisps" there champ.

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Think you might be confusing "on the bench, used in cup games" with "not even registered, not training with the first team, watches games from his couch with a bag of crisps" there champ. Also a 22 year old coming through with a 30 year old.

KWP was 3rd in the pecking order behind  doherty and aurier. 

It’s pretty common knowledge that Rose fell out with Jose, hence why he didn’t make the registered squad. He was also had a loan spell with Newcastle last season and by all accounts done pretty well. 

Im not saying he’s the answer, but your statement about not being able to get into the Tottenham squad so therefore not good enough for us, is a silly one. Champ. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

KWP was 3rd in the pecking order behind  doherty and aurier. 

It’s pretty common knowledge that Rose fell out with Jose, hence why he didn’t make the registered squad. He was also had a loan spell with Newcastle last season and by all accounts done pretty well. 

Im not saying he’s the answer, but your statement about not being able to get into the Tottenham squad so therefore not good enough for us, is a silly one. Champ. 

Doherty signed 6 months after KWP joined us. Pretty impressive grasp of facts there...

Also Rose was  awful for Newcastle hence why he didn't sign for anyone for 20/21 and spent the season playing FIFA (and two youth team games, both lost)

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

Doherty signed 6 months after KWP joined us. Pretty impressive grasp of facts there...

Also Rose was  awful for Newcastle hence why he didn't sign for anyone for 20/21 and spent the season playing FIFA (and two youth team games, both lost)

Haha fair enough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

You got a source on the size of our wage bill? I think the numbers on that seemed reasonably sensible. I know atleast the Salisu one lines up with what was reported around the time as his wage.

The wage bill is in the publicly available accounts on the Companies House website. It is not as large as it is with first team players like those listed on Championship level wages.  

Genuinely wouldn't want Rose if he was paying us to play. Hasn't played in years, by all accounts a massive knobhead with a large ego and vast over-estimation of his own abilities ("heard anything from Milan?" before going to sit in Newcastle's reserves), over the hill and basically everything we should be avoiding (apart from being a left back). 

We're not quite the player magnet people seem to think we are.

We've got no money and we've just had a piss poor season.

This transfer window is going to be like that bloke who chats up all the hotties on the dancefloor but ends up going home with the fat bird at the end.

This window is going to be tough.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

This transfer window is going to be like that bloke who chats up all the hotties on the dancefloor but ends up going home with the fat bird at the end.

FYI we're a premier league club. Cheer up. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Usually the fat bird is a much better shag though.

(This being the mindset that got me through uni.)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

He ain't worse than Bertrand ffs 😅

Anyway... Back to work. 🤣

Hi mate,

Just to let you know, Ive got a lifelong friend, who doesnt BS me, very close to all the players and senior management at spurs ( was even on the amazon docu) and hes been telling me for years what an unpleasant piece of work Rose is. Not just despised by the other players but also by all the clubs backroom staff. Really not ideal for changing room unity.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Rose would be the fat bird, so hopefully we won't end up like that.

I like Rose a lot. I thought he was a very decent full back a few year ago. Speaks his mind and has suffered because of it. Saying he wanted to win things and Spurs should be signing top player and paying them properly was spot on.

I didn't see him at Newcastle. How did he play? 

Why didn't Spurs farm him out again paying a chuck of his wages? Or did he refuse to budge?

We need two left backs. If Bertrand has taken a wage cut, then he'd of been ideal cover/rival for a young prospect. Not sure if Rose would come cheap, but same could apply. A younger guy with an older guy pushing him could work for us. 

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I like Rose a lot. I thought he was a very decent full back a few year ago. Speaks his mind and has suffered because of it. Saying he wanted to win things and Spurs should be signing top player and paying them properly was spot on.

Why didn't Spurs farm him out again paying a chuck of his wages? Or did he refuse to budge?

We need two left backs. If Bertrand has taken a wage cut, then he'd of been ideal cover/rival for a young prospect. Not sure if Rose would come cheap, but same could apply. A younger guy with an older guy pushing him could work for us. 

I think this in principle is okay, but the problem was that if Spurs did take that approach then Rose would’ve been one of the first players replaced. Poch saved his career, he was about to be binned by Spurs but Poch’s system got the best out of him. He didn’t pull up any trees at Newcastle and has found himself not even registered in Spurs’ squad this season. He’s not right for us imo.

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

I get the principle, but you don't bite the hand that feeds you. At least not in public, it's disrespectful. Ultimately though, the wages and fees his club plays for other players has nothing to do with him. If the club doesn't match his ambition, speak to powers that be in private and/or seek a move where he'd be happier. 

Personally, I get the impression he's bad news. There's the above, the "I can't wait to turn my back on footy", the dangerous driving. Not the traits of a solid pro for me. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I get the principle, but you don't bite the hand that feeds you. At least not in public, it's disrespectful. Ultimately though, the wages and fees his club plays for other players has nothing to do with him. If the club doesn't match his ambition, speak to powers that be in private and/or seek a move where he'd be happier. 

Personally, I get the impression he's bad news. There's the above, the "I can't wait to turn my back on footy", the dangerous driving. Not the traits of a solid pro for me. 

You might be right,  but Spurs obviously underpaid him. He will have asked for a pay rise and Levy probably told him where to go. He asked for a move, but Spurs obviously priced him out of that move. In the end there no winners, but Spurs could have an England fullback playing for them if they had put their hand in their pocket, but instead paid him less to do nothing.

He said he couldn't wait to get out of football because of the racist abuse he got. I think that is fair enough. 

Not sure what his driving has to do with him being a solid pro. Is Shane Long a solid pro?

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Think this one should be filed under thanks but no thanks. Wouldn't be an upgrade on Bertrand in my opinion. Think we should be looking at players like KWP who haven't seen it all and done it yet. Motivated to better themselves and not just looking for a last pay day.

Bertrand turned our contract offer down. We didn't offload him because we wanted an upgrade, he departed because we didn't want to pay him. We may not sign better than Bertrand is now. Hopefully we will, but there is no guarentee.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Bertrand turned our contract offer down. We didn't offload him because we wanted an upgrade, he departed because we didn't want to pay him. We may not sign better than Bertrand is now. Hopefully we will, but there is no guarentee.

Am sure if we wanted to keep him that much, we would have reached an acceptable compromise with him so that he stayed. 

24 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I think this in principle is okay, but the problem was that if Spurs did take that approach then Rose would’ve been one of the first players replaced. Poch saved his career, he was about to be binned by Spurs but Poch’s system got the best out of him. 

I think he was a good player before Poch turned up. He's always been decent.  The issue was Spurs didn't pay him what similar players like Walker got elsewhere. He wanted to get paid. He also wanted Spurs to be better. I don't see anything wrong with that. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Am sure if we wanted to keep him that much, we would have reached an acceptable compromise with him so that he stayed. 

we didn't want to pay him what he felt he deserved. Simple as that. Absolutely nothing to do with us wanting to upgrade. If that was the case, why did we offer him a contract at all?  

43 minutes ago, Chez said:

I do actually agree with this. It's weird because someone came along and acted like Rose was quality so we all ended up having to be negative but I think Rose would be ok as a backup/competition, he'd have to be cheap though but I doubt he'll be flush with options. He has had a hard time, partly due to mental health issues from what I understand, and a change of scenery might help with that like Forster to Celtic did.

He was pretty awful at Newcastle tbh, but I think he had a hard situation to come in midseason. As a back up for us with a full preseason I think he'd be ok.

Rumour has it the reason Rose didn't get farmed out was because he was only offered opportunities in the championship and in smaller leagues and he thought he was better than that, famously thinking Milan were interested when they weren't. He refused to drop down a league and no top league club wanted him on a loan or on his wages so he stayed and saw out his contract. Would definitely be worried the effect no football will have on his sharpness at his age, but as a bench option we can steadily reintroduce him. First team option would be mental though.

Edited by TWar

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

You might be right,  but Spurs obviously underpaid him. He will have asked for a pay rise and Levy probably told him where to go. He asked for a move, but Spurs obviously priced him out of that move. In the end there no winners, but Spurs could have an England fullback playing for them if they had put their hand in their pocket, but instead paid him less to do nothing.

He said he couldn't wait to get out of football because of the racist abuse he got. I think that is fair enough. 

Not sure what his driving has to do with him being a solid pro. Is Shane Long a solid pro?

The driving was (alleged of course) erratic/dangerous driving that took him into the central reservation at 4am. That's not a good situation for anyone to put themselves in, and particularly daft for a sportsman.

We see it differently, but for me, a professional sportsman who does that, slags his club off in public, says he can't wait to turn his back on the game that's made him a millionaire (for whatever reason - we haven't heard any of the other players racially abused say they can't wait to stop playing), is a bit of a cock.

As to his wages, if he was worth more and someone was willing to pay him more, he'd have gotten a move and the wages he wanted. 

He's a no for me. 

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

we didn't want to pay him what he felt he deserved. Simple as that. Absolutely nothing to do with us wanting to upgrade. If that was the case, why did we offer him a contract at all?  

If we didn't want to upgrade, why were we so intent on trying to sign Brandon Williams? Pretty sure if we got him on a six month loan he wouldn't have just sat on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If we didn't want to upgrade, why were we so intent on trying to sign Brandon Williams? Pretty sure if we got him on a six month loan he wouldn't have just sat on the bench. 

Yep. Of course we wanted an upgrade, and we need one. Bertrand has faded massively. 

Rose did his "big exclusive" interview with The Sun too, which came out the day before their 2017-18 season opener against Newcastle. (KWP got MOTM by the BBC in that match)

Edited by HarvSFC

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

we needed cover because when Vokins got his chance he was found to be out of his depth. I repeat, why did we offer Bertrand a contract if we were so keen to upgrade? 

Edited by Chez

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

we needed cover because when Vokins got his chance he was found to be out of his depth. I repeat, why did we offer Bertrand a contract if we were so keen to upgrade? 

We don't know...but perhaps as back up. You mentioned above about an older player backing up a younger one. 

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think he was a good player before Poch turned up. He's always been decent.  The issue was Spurs didn't pay him what similar players like Walker got elsewhere. He wanted to get paid. He also wanted Spurs to be better. I don't see anything wrong with that. 

Walker has won the league with City twice, will almost certainly play in the Champion's League final, and will be starting for England at the Euros and likely the World Cup next year too. Rose was Newcastle's third choice left back. Of course he wasn't paid the same.

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Oh yeah I agree.

I’d just like wages to deflate a little bit though and if collectively the PL did it that would be good.

It’s not like 30k a week is a pittance, I’d love for us to take the approach that by coming to us we are giving them the PL platform. If they want to earn more, put in good performances and they can move to the Big 6 or sign a new improved contract (like Bednarek).

It is tough though, such a way of buying players mean many might reject us (especially in the modern day with agents) but equally if they do turn out to be crap then we can get rid very easily. 

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Oh yeah I agree.

I’d just like wages to deflate a little bit though and if collectively the PL did it that would be good.

It’s not like 30k a week is a pittance, I’d love for us to take the approach that by coming to us we are giving them the PL platform. If they want to earn more, put in good performances and they can move to the Big 6 or sign a new improved contract (like Bednarek).

It is tough though, such a way of buying players mean many might reject us (especially in the modern day with agents) but equally if they do turn out to be crap then we can get rid very easily. 

Collectively is the only way it *would* work - after all, there are 19 other clubs offering a PL platform. Businesses that announce they are only going to pay half the average wages of their competitors tend not to last very long.

40 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Oh yeah I agree.

Yup but they wouldn’t come to saints in the first place if we weren’t paying competitive salary. 

6 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

This stands out for me as something regularly overlooked. We've been overtaken by many of these we saw ourselves ahead of as recently as Koeman's time with the club (Leicester, West Ham and Wolves for example).

In terms of overseas players there also seems an arrogance that just being in the EPL will be enough. Whilst it may be a better payer than most leagues people tend to disregard the fact that the Bundesliga is a strong league and to many this and Serie A are equally attractive leagues to play in. How often are we left (rumoured) to be looking at players proven in those leagues, by which time they're out of our price range ?