Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Sell JWP, Vestergaard, Ings - should get us £70-80m ish IMO. That'll provide us the tools to at least have a go next season.

It's a shame we cocked up the re-investment in VVD's fee tbh. Criminal mismanagement, that money should have created a legacy for us but all it's done is destroy us and saddle us with overpaid absolute trash that no one else wants - and because we have no investment, we don't even have the scope to fix those mistakes. What a sorry state.

Signing Theo on a free kinda sums it all up tbh. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Sell JWP, Vestergaard, Ings - should get us £70-80m ish IMO. That'll provide us the tools to at least have a go next season.

It's a shame we cocked up the re-investment in VVD's fee tbh. Criminal mismanagement, that money should have created a legacy for us but all it's done is destroy us and saddle us with overpaid absolute trash that no one else wants - and because we have no investment, we don't even have the scope to fix those mistakes. What a sorry state.

Sell Vest anyway. Like the club as a whole, his performances over the latter half of the season are a far more accurate reflection of his capabilities than the brief flurry of good reviews at the start.

He's a good passer of the ball, but a sub-par defender. Bin him, Bednarek and Stephens and buy a new partner for Salisu - it's not like our wealth of PL experience has yielded any real benefit defensively this year, so either bring in a couple of old warhorses or a few promising young CBs - they're unlikely to do any worse than our first choice pairing and at least offer the hope that they might do better.

12 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Having a proper attacking threat down the left like we have on the right from KWP could actually be pretty huge for our attacking play.

I share your lack of enthusiasm for Minamino though

I'd like to see him live. The goal at Newcastle was pretty special, but I've watched games and he hasn't been visible. He does make a lot of runs that are not seen...not sure about him to be honest. 

My concern is not so much Minamino, and more that we need to evolve during the summer, as we have been poor for a long time now, but to me it looks like we replace Bertie and sign a reserve full back. Not exactly a rebooted line up.

We have this bollocks every summer. There won’t be an overhall, there won’t be any exciting signings. We may get a couple in early, cheap, potential signings any “big” (for us) signings will be due to sales. No surprise here, that’s how it always is. Thats us. Can’t wait for the battle for 13th next season. As long as we stay up that’s all that matters. 

• Like 3

Just now, Turkish said:

We have this bollocks every summer. There won’t be an overhall, there won’t be any exciting signings. We may get a couple in early, cheap, potential signings any “big” (for us) signings will be due to sales. No surprise here, that’s how it always is. Thats us. Can’t wait for the battle for 13th next season. As long as we stay up that’s all that matters. 

we fill empty slots, no more, no less. Every signing has to be spot on to recover from the mare we had. Sadly they players like Djenepo have yet to shine.

As ever, will be as much about whether we can shift Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Gunn as who we sign.

There will be the usual stuff about there being interest from multiple clubs.

The reality is all four will be loaned out again, in some cases with Saints part paying their wages.

Might even be able to add Valery and Obafemi to that list.

Edited by Dusic

Next year's starting XI should read:

-----------New GK-----------

KWP New CB Salisu New LB

---------JWP-New DM-------

Armstrong-----------New AM

----Ings-----New ST.

We are 6 quality first choice signings away from being back to a European place challenging team, and that's even before we factor in the potential loss of Ings and possibly even JWP (if a big club fancies him). Add the loss of those two hypothetically, and maybe Vestergaard, and then add a back up right back, and we are not far away from needing an entire XI of top players. Ain't gonna happen unless some twat like Celtic decide Elyounoussi is worth £100 million.

It's going to be a long summer and we need to work miracles. Thank God we have the Euros for a distraction.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

As ever, will be as much about whether we can shift Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Gunn as who we sign.

The reality is all four will be loaned out again, in some cases with Saints part paying their wages.

Dont forget Long is back too on decent wedge hanging around the squad. Hopefully Bournemouth take him off us again.

Edited by skintsaint

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Next year's starting XI should read:

-----------New GK-----------

KWP New CB Salisu New LB

---------JWP-New DM-------

Armstrong-----------New AM

----Ings-----New ST.

We are 6 quality first choice signings away from being back to a European place challenging team, and that's even before we factor in the potential loss of Ings and possibly even JWP (if a big club fancies him). Add the loss of those two hypothetically, and maybe Vestergaard, and then add a back up right back, and we are not far away from needing an entire XI of top players. Ain't gonna happen unless some twat like Celtic decide Elyounoussi is worth £100 million.

It's going to be a long summer and we need to work miracles. Thank God we have the Euros for a distraction.

I’m happy having Romeu and Adams in there. Let’s be honest, we’re not aiming for European football because we just cannot compete financially. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

A few of our regulars are equally as mediocre as those you named, if not worse,  we could fill every position with crap first team players. The failed moneyball policy has really caught up with us.

9 hours ago, Chez said:

I'd like to see him live. The goal at Newcastle was pretty special, but I've watched games and he hasn't been visible. He does make a lot of runs that are not seen...not sure about him to be honest. 

My concern is not so much Minamino, and more that we need to evolve during the summer, as we have been poor for a long time now, but to me it looks like we replace Bertie and sign a reserve full back. Not exactly a rebooted line up.

I'm worried about them saying we'll only buy players in the £10m bracket but there will be bargains this summer and I don't think it's their intention to downgrade on Bertrand

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Good to see more links to GK's - hopefully the club is seriously looking to bring someone in.

Was quite impressed with Woodman in the two playoff games - doesnt look the biggest, but came (and took) more crosses than Fraser and Alex combined.

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Good to see more links to GK's - hopefully the club is seriously looking to bring someone in.

Was quite impressed with Woodman in the two playoff games - doesnt look the biggest, but came (and took) more crosses than Fraser and Alex combined.

Think he’s out of contract, too.

MLG will update us if he’s not.

• Haha 1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/transfers/endendevertraege/statistik?plus=0&jahr=2022&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=0&yt0=Show

All players whose contracts expire in 2022 - the scouting department need to go onto this site 😉

(go down a few pages - we can't attact the page 1/2/3 stars 😂), and then start getting into agents ears and play dirty.

I like the look of Faitour Maouassa from Rennes at LB, is only 22.

(MLG Note - yes scouts use far more advanced software than Transfermarkt... like FM)

Edited by nta786

Just saw an article saying Everton are hoping to sell Mason Holgate and sign Koulibaly from Napoli. 

I wonder how much Holgate would cost? If reasonable amount, I wouldn't mind selling Vestergaard and signing Holgate - starting the season with Salisu as first choice and having Bednarek and Holgate competing for a spot alongside. Holgate could provide a decent back up to KWP at right back too. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, good idea. Let's sell all of our best players, that will help....... No words, some of our fan base astound me. 

On 06/04/2021 at 12:41, kjurwi said:

We are having an severe  lack of Swedes. 

Would like to se us go for Jordan Larsson(Spartak Moskva) or Jesper Karlsson(AZ Alkmaar) both strikers/ wingers.

If Vestergaard leaves go for Filip Helander(Rangers). 

Can't find a Swedish left  or Rightback i want us to buy.

This will fix things😁

Bumping myself.

I've got another swede we should buy. 

Jens Cajuste - Fc Mitjylland. A big, young CM/DM who has been brilliant for Mittjylland in Denmark and the CL and is starting to get gametime in the Swedish National team. Off to the Euros this summer. Cover for Romeu. 

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is mad.  On what planet do you look to improve the team by selling its best three players?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kjurwi said:

Bumping myself.

I've got another swede we should buy. 

Jens Cajuste - Fc Mitjylland. A big, young CM/DM who has been brilliant for Mittjylland in Denmark and the CL and is starting to get gametime in the Swedish National team. Off to the Euros this summer. Cover for Romeu. 

I don't expect much transfer activity until after the Euros.

3 minutes ago, Forester said:

This is mad.  On what planet do you look to improve the team by selling its best three players?  

Quite so. Whatever money we got for them we would have to pay the same to get an equivalent player. It's the poorer players that we need to replace.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don't expect much transfer activity until after the Euros.

Quite so. Whatever money we got for them we would have to pay the same to get an equivalent player. It's the poorer players that we need to replace.

for the Xth season running, out hands will be partly tied until we offload Hoedt et al out on loan again. No one signs these types at the start of the summer, instead waiting until the end (thereby saving several weeks of wages) when teams like us get a bit desperate and start to up the percentage wages awe are willing to cover.

My guess is there are funds to buy a left back whenever we can, and maybe one more. Beyond that it will depend on players going out on loan etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forester said:

It's all relative, isn't it? The drop off between our "best" players and the deadwood isn't exactly the difference between Harry Kane and Troy Parrott. Our squad is uniformly shite.

Only Danny Ings is substantially better than the rest of his peers. Aside from around 10 games at the start of the season, Vestergaard hasn't even been better than Jack Stephens during his Saints career. The idea that anyone would consider him one of our best players is both absurd and possibly depressingly accurate. But he'd still be no real loss - yet the money we might get for him and potentially reinvest in a player or two who can move their legs could help the side move forward.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Annual link bingo:

- Scottish wonder kid  

- Barcelona player  

(I believe he was linked in January)

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-asked-barcelona-players-situation-first-approach-made-summer-transfer-likely/

Looking at the Barcelona player I was hoping for a Ronnie Ekelund type of gem, instead of which it looks more like ticking another well known box in our annual play 'summer strategy game' of 'obscure player few have previously heard of, in the attempt to be clever and sign a fringe player from a big club' . (or maybe that's two boxes combined.

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Looking at the Barcelona player I was hoping for a Ronnie Ekelund type of gem, instead of which it looks more like ticking another well known box in our annual play 'summer strategy game' of 'obscure player few have previously heard of, in the attempt to be clever and sign a fringe player from a big club' . (or maybe that's two boxes combined.

'Instead of'? Ronnie Ekelund was exactly that! He played 1 game for Barcelona's first team and was an obscure player the Saints fanbase had not heard of.

Edited by Matthew Le God

26 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

'Instead of'? Ronnie Ekelund was exactly that! He played 1 game for Barcelona's first team and was an obscure player the Saints fanbase had not heard of.

Fair point, although not mutually exclusive in hoping for a Ronnie Ekelund style gem ... and then ending up with another Mayuka.

No actual links but in the HCDAJFU spirit ...

• Ludwig Augustinsson 27 attacking left back at Werder Bremen, decent amount of caps for Sweden experienced in a good standard league well known to our manager. The reliable source that is wikipedia seems to suggest he's played CM in his youth teams days so again maybe a bit of versatility. 
  • Milot Rashica 24 Attacking midfielder more often than not a winger also at Werder and we've been linked several times in the past.

Werder have been relegated and apparently need to clear the decks due to financial concerns. I expect we might have a younger player than Augustinsson in mind but both probably not out of our price range - articles linking Villa to Rashica seem to suggest £14mil might be the going rate. £20 mil for the pair?

1 hour ago, Chez said:

for the Xth season running, out hands will be partly tied until we offload Hoedt et al out on loan again. No one signs these types at the start of the summer, instead waiting until the end (thereby saving several weeks of wages) when teams like us get a bit desperate and start to up the percentage wages awe are willing to cover.

My guess is there are funds to buy a left back whenever we can, and maybe one more. Beyond that it will depend on players going out on loan etc.

I think our only advantage this year is that Hoedt, Lemina  Forster are all on their last year. They may be more willing to compromise on their salary - for example, if they get offered a 3-4 year contract it would be worth more security than hanging around Saints and perhaps picking up a big injury. Of course, they will become even more attractive in 12 months time when they will be essentially free and will anticipate a decent signing on fee.

Its not going to be fun. 

27 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can get decent PL level footballers for £3m-£10m if the scouting/recruitment is correct.

Don't need big names or big fees. 

Absolutely this. As proved before in 2014-2016.

4 hours ago, Forester said:

It's a balancing act though isn't it. It's well published that we have no funds and we have to generate any funds for any incoming transfers.

We are in dire need of an injection of quality throughout the side, in specific positions such as left back, centre back, central midfield and a winger/attacking player. We can scratch up as much loose change as we want, but that won't cut it in terms of improving as much as we need to.

We've been here before - we sold Shaw, Lallana, Lambert, Chambers in a single window - arguably our best players at that time, and we used that to replace well and actually improve the overall squad, our position in the league and the value of the club. We've got ourselves in such a pickle with our squad and the players we have on big wages/signed for big fees that we don't really have a way out of it.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's well published that we have no funds

No it isn't. A relatively small budget isn't the same as 'no funds'.

Last summer (despite being 6 months into the pandemic) the club spent more on players than it sold.

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 minute ago, Chez said:

any links to keepers must be bollocks if, as Ralf is quoted as saying here, Forster and McCarthy will fight it out to be no 1 next season:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-goalkeeper-newcastle-united-transfer-5449511

Good teams are built on a good goal keeper and a solid pair in front, who play together all season. We're not going to achieve anything if we continue that rotation nonsense. I thought it was just a back end of the season trial to see who would make it, but sadly they're both as bad as each other so it's never going to be a conclusive outcome. Ideally sell one, keep the other as backup and buy a proper goal keeper.

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ideally sell one, keep the other as backup and buy a proper goal keeper.

the point is, Ralf is stating openly that we have no intention to do that. Maybe he has no choice but to say that in order to maximise the value in the event of an enquiry for one fo them.

• Like 1

I think the end of next season might be when they look to address the keeper situation.  I just don't think the budget stretches enough to replace FF or Macca.

Might be a gap for a cheaper 3rd choice with question marks over Gunn/Lewis.

4 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

So come next summer we could be without any first team GK. AM and FF could leave on frees and Gunn may already be gone. Brilliant planning. 😬

the only issue I have with this is that it isn't this summer. Finding new players is not hard. Signing them can be tricky of course, but the real issue is when you have players you don't want but cant shift.

The new manager at Palace may have a massive rebuilding job to do, and perhaps 16 players out of contract is a lot to deal with, but at least he won't now have the likes of Wickham, Kelly and Ward eating wages despite being championship at best. Imagine if we had 15 players out of contract right now. That would be a godsend.

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

the only issue I have with this is that it isn't this summer. Finding new players is not hard. Signing them can be tricky of course, but the real issue is when you have players you don't want but cant shift.

The new manager at Palace may have a massive rebuilding job to do, and perhaps 16 players out of contract is a lot to deal with, but at least he won't now have the likes of Wickham, Kelly and Ward eating wages despite being championship at best. Imagine if we had 15 players out of contract right now. That would be a godsend.

That is true in terms of clearing the decks but then it does require a chunk of change to rebuild! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep agree to an extent! Does anyone remember the tweet below from Koeman?

image.png.0cc4231986afef51af99cd4c320a407c.png

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/where-have-all-southamptons-players-gone-ronald-koeman-tweets-empty-training-ground-picture-jkzskzmkpcc

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

That is true in terms of clearing the decks but then it does require a chunk of change to rebuild! 

Fair point and they have to get a lot of recruitment decisions right, which everyone knows you just don't. It will be very interesting to compare us with them next season. We have both been pretty shit this season and star players Ings and Zaha are both potentially off. We can't do much in the market and they have to. They can clear dead wood and remove failure, we must retain ours but perhaps can pull things together once more. I wonder who will finish higher next season. 

50 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fair point and they have to get a lot of recruitment decisions right, which everyone knows you just don't. It will be very interesting to compare us with them next season. We have both been pretty shit this season and star players Ings and Zaha are both potentially off. We can't do much in the market and they have to. They can clear dead wood and remove failure, we must retain ours but perhaps can pull things together once more. I wonder who will finish higher next season. 

I'm guessing Lampard will go there and he will no doubt source quite a few players from Chelsea, either cheaply or on loan and hence reducing their outlay this summer. 

It's a good comparison. 

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

If we had 15 players out of contract it wouldn t be a god send at all.

we wouldn t have enough money transfer fee wise to replace them.

so we would just try and get free agents that wouldn t have a very good level leaving us with more contracted dross.