Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

11 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

How about Ryan Sessegnon season loan perhaps? seems to be out of favour at Spuds and we need a left back option ,him and KWP playing advanced wing backs great attacking options.

I'd rather not develop a player for Spurs, especially if we can't sign.

I think Minamino was the exception to that but at 26 he isn't someone to develop but simply give minutes to and add a bit more depth to squad for the 2nd half of the season.

As for RLC, I would definitely consider him but depends on the wages too - I think he is on like £60k-£80k? There has to be better out there!

If there is anything good to come out of this pandemic I hope clubs across the world can stop paying such excessive wages to players and they start to come down a little bit

Edited by nta786

18 minutes ago, TWar said:

He'll presumably have to take a pay cut soon being in and out of a relegated Fulham. When on loan I doubt wed pay 100%, might be a 50% deal like Walcott 

Crazy thing is even 50% would probably make him our top earner.

If we're looking at players that fit the "young, big wages at big club but needs to play" then I'd rather we went for Maitland-Niles than Loftus-Cheek.  Would fit our system much better and would provide cover at left back.  RLC is a decent player but he doesn't suit our style of play and has been treading water for too long now.

• Like 2

Loftus-Cheek has born the brunt of a lot of fan frustration from Fulham this year, they've had enough of him. I've seen the terms 'washed up'  'waste of space' '10 men' posted quite a few times when he's playing on twitter and their forums etc.

He's a player who seems to sit on the periphery of games, doesn't particularly put himself about and seems to react rather than proactively press. What on earth do we see in him based on that? I don't get it, nothing adds up there in terms of type of player we'd be interested in.

It does feel make or break for his top level career though, maybe he'll take this as his last chance saloon.

• Like 2

Loftus-Cheek feels like a player who need a permanent move, not another loan.

That said, Ralph mentioned him in the press conference in the context of him being a good player that we were interested in but with too high wages, so I don't see that we are likely to be signing him.

Profile wise I think he would make a good #10 on the right, in a similar style to what Armstrong does, but he probably sees himself as a central player.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Oh wow - in which case I wouldn't touch with a bargepole!

40 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Crazy thing is even 50% would probably make him our top earner.

Yep it most likely would, I certainly wouldn't want us to be paying £75k a week for him. 

4 hours ago, SKD said:

The player we should have signed on loan, rather than Theo. 

Will add a touch of creativity and class to our midfield, something were lacking. 

Won’t be cheap, but a try before you buy there’s little to no risk. 

Remember, a lot turned their nose up at lingard and look how he’s done in the right environment. 

A big yes from me. 

Care to explain your reasoning for the belief that RLC would have been a better loan signing than Theo this season?

I will offer the counter of, this season: Loftus-Cheek 28 appearances 1 goal 0 assists; Theo 19 appearances 2 goals 3 assists

Moreover, Loftus-Cheek only has 10 prem goals and 6 assists in 106 career matches, compared to Theo's 77 goals and 54 assists in 377. That gives Theo a twice as good strike rate and 3 times as good assist record. Theo is also. apparently, on a much lower salary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Care to explain your reasoning for the belief that RLC would have been a better loan signing than Theo this season?

I will offer the counter of, this season: Loftus-Cheek 28 appearances 1 goal 0 assists; Theo 19 appearances 2 goals 3 assists

Moreover, Loftus-Cheek only has 10 prem goals and 6 assists in 106 career matches, compared to Theo's 77 goals and 54 assists in 377. That gives Theo a twice as good strike rate and 3 times as good assist record. Theo is also. apparently, on a much lower salary.

He certainly will be next season...

I'd agree though, have zero interest in RLC if it was a straight loan. 

Loan to buy I could with, for decent fee and wages. But that ain't happening.

How did AMN play for W Brom? I wasnt keen on him either. Seems like a Villa signing to me next season. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

A loan with a view to buy is what the article claims the intention is by Saints.

Then Ralph and I are clearly aligned then Matt. Maybe we are the same person.

Thanks for pointing that out though btw, I wondered what it meant when i read the article 🤣

I can only assume people want us to sign Loftus Cheek on loan and then moan like fuck whenever he is selected to play instead of our own young players, and then start chatting shit that we're only selecting him because Chelsea told us to and we're scared of them.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

I can only assume people want us to sign Loftus Cheek onload and then moan like fuck whenever he is selected to play instead of our own young players, and then start chatting shit that we're only selecting him because Chelsea told us to and we're scared of them.

🤣🤣🤣

Yep, that sums it up perfectly 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 14:36, CB Fry said:

I can only assume people want us to sign Loftus Cheek on loan and then moan like fuck whenever he is selected to play instead of our own young players, and then start chatting shit that we're only selecting him because Chelsea told us to and we're scared of them.

No-one moaned about Minamino playing when something was riding on it. Now we are safe and can go nowhere, it makes zero sense to give him so much game time while players like Djenepo, Obafemi and Tella sit on the bench.

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

No-one moaned about Minamino playing when something was riding on it. Now we are safe and can go nowhere, it makes zero sense to give him so much game time while players like Djenepo, Obafemi and Tella sit on the bench.

Saints can still finish 17th to 12th (technically 11th is also possible)... so there is a lot of money riding on it... circa £10m in prize money. That could make a big difference for us in the summer.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 10:54, Dusic said:

Loftus-Cheek feels like a player who need a permanent move, not another loan.

That said, Ralph mentioned him in the press conference in the context of him being a good player that we were interested in but with too high wages, so I don't see that we are likely to be signing him.

Profile wise I think he would make a good #10 on the right, in a similar style to what Armstrong does, but he probably sees himself as a central player.

We've no idea how he sees himself (get that in before MLG does), but suspect RH will want to sign players to play where he sees them rather than pandering to their wishes. This appeared the case with Maitland-Niles who wanted a MF role as opposed to MF/RB etc. Personally I don't think either have done enough at Fulham or WBA to suggest they'd offer us anything.

If we're looking at a player leaving Chelsea, or on loan with an option, Gallagher seems to have come out of his time at WBA with his reputation improved and doubt he'll get much game time at Chelsea.

But also worth remembering Betrand had a poor season at Villa before joining us so if any of them end up at St Mary's we'll give them at least twenty minutes of their first match to win us over before moaning about wasted opportunities and money down the drain (again).

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

In fairness I think we need (and Ralph thinks he needs) a strong as finish to the season as possible.

It's not 1991 anymore. Managers are not going to be doing the "just play any old experiments and see what happens" thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, igsey said:

Surely the only reason we would be interested in Loftus-Cheek is if we're working towards a full double-barrelled starting XI?!

Will Daniel Farquhar-Ings sign a new contact if he's forced to change his name by deed poll ?

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

In fairness I think we need (and Ralph thinks he needs) a strong as finish to the season as possible.

It's not 1991 anymore. Managers are not going to be doing the "just play any old experiments and see what happens" thing.

I'm not saying we should test out a 2-5-1-3 formation and see how Walcott does at right back, just give a bit of playing time to our own players who he's been happy to start with in the past instead of giving as much time as possible to a Liverpool player who hasn't really made a huge difference.

• Like 1

Rico Henry on the bench for Brentford in their playoff 1st leg vs Bmth.

Not sure if he has been injured lately but he has started most of their games this season.

Edit: just back from injury.

Edited by Dusic

50 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Rico Henry on the bench for Brentford in their playoff 1st leg vs Bmth.

Not sure if he has been injured lately but he has started most of their games this season.

Edit: just back from injury.

Yeah, Think I heard it’s his 1st involvement since Feb.

10 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

He was already close to the top of our price range when B'mouth bought him I think. Wasn't he about 15m a few years ago?

Yeah although I guess it's arguable whether his value has risen since then. Great championship season but he was bought for the premier league in which he flopped somewhat. For the record, I think it probably has and he's probably worth around £20m now which is out of our range.

Daryl Dike on loan to Barnsley from Orlando City in the MLS looks like a forward RH could develop. Has all the materials - very strong and quick, and good scoring record so far, might have to rein in the physical side slightly in the PL to stay on the pitch but rather that than another of Les’s lightweights. Only 20 and shouldn’t be north of £10m so would fit the mid table Championship budget Saints have. 

2 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Daryl Dike on loan to Barnsley from Orlando City in the MLS looks like a forward RH could develop. Has all the materials - very strong and quick, and good scoring record so far, might have to rein in the physical side slightly in the PL to stay on the pitch but rather that than another of Les’s lightweights. Only 20 and shouldn’t be north of £10m so would fit the mid table Championship budget Saints have. 

Looks like a modern day Marlon Harewood to me. Strong, quick but not the best technically. In addition to Ings maybe, as a replacement we’d be in trouble.

Keeping an eye on Guehi who we’ve been linked with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Looks like a modern day Marlon Harewood to me. Strong, quick but not the best technically. In addition to Ings maybe, as a replacement we’d be in trouble.

Dike would be addition to, not replacement for Ings. If Danny leaves, vast majority of the budget needs to go on replacing him and bosmans elsewhere. Guehi is impressive, might depend how many other clubs are chasing him. Right footed by the looks, could play alongside Salisu or Vesty as left footers. Bednarek is fine for 4th choice but has shown his limitations second half of this season, too slow alongside Vesty who is also slow. Vesty may leave which means Guehi or equivalent is a replacement. Buying from Swansea or another decent Champ club would avoid the long period of acclimatisation that Salisu had.

13 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I'm not watching the game - How has he looked so far?

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'm not watching the game - How has he looked so far?

Done ok so far, not had loads to do. His partner is taking the brunt of Dike up front. Barnsley can’t be accused of overcomplicating the game, they get it up top quickly!

Edited by ErwinK1961

9 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Vesty may leave which means Guehi or equivalent is a replacement. Buying from Swansea or another decent Champ club would avoid the long period of acclimatisation that Salisu had.

Guehi's a Chelsea player, incidentally. Doubt they'll sell cheap - if at all. Potential loan option.

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

What about Brooks at Bournemouth if they dont go up?

Swap with Shane Long?????????😁

Really good player, linked with a big move but suffered a bit of an injury. Not sure how he’s done this season, but looked good last night. 

In my opinion, exactly the sort of player we should be looking at. We wouldn’t be able to afford him though. 

We really need to start looking in the 20-30m bracket if we want to survive. 

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

We really need to start looking in the 20-30m bracket if we want to survive. 

No we don't. Players who would improve us are available a lot cheaper than that. Of course the scouting needs to be spot on. I'm sure we are all happy with signing Armstrong for £7m, Romeu for £5m, Bednarek for £5m, Salisu for £11m, Diallo for £12m.