Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

5 hours ago, Minsk said:

We seem to be getting linked to a few, so I get the feeling will be in the market for one. I also feel that will be in addition to us signing Theo, who gives options as a FWD and an AM.

Undoubtedly, our priority is a LB, whether Bertrand stays or goes (personally, I think he will go).

Second priority should be a player to cover RB and LB, but have a feeling that may well be a loanee.

IF Ings stays we are okay up top. We would have Ings, Adams, Theo, Redmond, and Tella plus whoever from Long, Obafemi and N'Lundulu who isn't sold/loaned. That said, I think we will sell (or loan) Long; loan N'Lundulu; unsure about Obafemi. If we sell him I think we will replace with another young player from somewhere. Obviously if Ings goes replacing him also becomes a priority.

A solid, ball winning, CM would be nice - but think that role goes to Romeu, so any new signing would only be as a back-up to him. I also think Armstrong has shown he can do a great job in CM, so Romeu, JWP, Diallo and Armstrong should be enough. (Maybe another reason why we are looking at an AM? Perhaps it is seen as an easier/better role to purchase a player for?)

We are okay at CB, unless Vestergaard goes. If he does go I would be very happy to see Salisu start the season, and I don't expect Bednarek to be dropped. That would mean any new CB would probably be signed as a back-up. Would rather Vest stayed. (Or maybe Hoedt will be that 4th choice CB - gulp!)

Gunn is staying at Stoke for next season. We will almost certainly retain Macca and Fraser to fight it out for the GK slot. We might sign a young, one for the future, 'keeper as 3rd choice.

Given all the above, that would mean we would only be looking to buy a LB followed by an AM - unless we need to replace someone we sell. So, yes, we should be able to afford one.

N.B. If we do need to sign a player to replace a sold one I fully expect us to spend less on the replacement than we get for the outgoing player (i.e. said replacement being young 'with room for improvement'). I would also prefer it if we bought a covering FB outright as opposed to loaning one. However, I do think that we will loan 2 players in regardless next season.

Not a chance Hoedt has a future here. I think Vesty will stay and sign a new deal, but if he does leave I would like to see us bring in an older, experienced CB (late 20s/early 30s). I know it goes against our recruitment approach, but honestly think Salisu and even Bednarek could benefit from playing/learning beside an older and wiser head. Thinking about the influence the likes of Evans, Cahill and more recently Dawson have had at their respective clubs.

The likes of Willi Orban, who Ralph would know quite well, would fit the bill and may be available. Likely to be a few with PL experience worth looking at as well (fan of Schar at Newcastle)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Not a chance Hoedt has a future here. I think Vesty will stay and sign a new deal, but if he does leave I would like to see us bring in an older, experienced CB (late 20s/early 30s). I know it goes against our recruitment approach, but honestly think Salisu and even Bednarek could benefit from playing/learning beside an older and wiser head. Thinking about the influence the likes of Evans, Cahill and more recently Dawson have had at their respective clubs.

The likes of Willi Orban, who Ralph would know quite well, would fit the bill and may be available. Likely to be a few with PL experience worth looking at as well (fan of Schar at Newcastle)

Been saying that for years mate. We’ve wasted so much money trying to find the next Van Dijk when what we really needed was to replace Fonte with an experienced leader at the back. We could have got Cahill for nothing or Evans for £3m, I’m sure there have been others as well in the mould who would have been significantly better than anything we’ve had since he went who would have also helped Bednarek and Stephens. It seems that we’ve finally struck gold with Salisu but even he is still more of a potential signing. What we’ve needed for 4 years was someone to come in straight away and plug the hole. Bednarek was signed as a young player with potential but was thrown in as the others was so bad. It does seems now we finally have a bit of depth and quality in that position. It’s just a shame it’s taken 4 1/2 years to get there. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Been saying that for years mate. We’ve wasted so much money trying to find the next Van Dijk when what we really needed was to replace Fonte with an experienced leader at the back. We could have got Cahill for nothing or Evans for £3m, I’m sure there have been others as well in the mould who would have been significantly better than anything we’ve had since he went who would have also helped Bednarek and Stephens. It seems that we’ve finally struck gold with Salisu but even he is still more of a potential signing. What we’ve needed for 4 years was someone to come in straight away and plug the hole. Bednarek was signed as a young player with potential but was thrown in as the others was so bad. It does seems now we finally have a bit of depth and quality in that position. It’s just a shame it’s taken 4 1/2 years to get there. 

100% this 

5 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Oxlade chamberlain anyone ?

To replace Ings on the physio's slab?

Nice kid, good player on his day, but he had a poor fitness record before his most recent serious knee injury, and that ACL injury was described by (I think) the surgeon who rebuilt his knee as horrendous and about as bad as it gets.

It's no surprise he hasn't returned to anywhere near the right level. There's got to be major doubts that he ever will.

13 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

I fully agree with you. My favourite Saints CB pairing will probably always be a promising, up and coming, Mark Wright alongside the experienced, old head, of Dave Watson. Would love us to sign an experienced leader at CB. My above post is what I think will happen, and the Hoedt comment was wholly 'tongue in cheek'.

As for the AM/FWD I think we will sign: I really hope we go for someone in the Antonio mould - big, fast, strong and able to play wide or up front, as opposed to another small, lightweight, player. More of a Saint-Maximin than Minamino type. (I know there is not a hope in Hell of us signing either of those mentioned, just mentioning them as examples of the type of player I would like to see us bring in.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I fully agree with you. My favourite Saints CB pairing will probably always be a promising, up and coming, Mark Wright alongside the experienced, old head, of Dave Watson. Would love us to sign an experienced leader at CB. My above post is what I think will happen, and the Hoedt comment was wholly 'tongue in cheek'.

As for the AM/FWD I think we will sign: I really hope we go for someone in the Antonio mould - big, fast, strong and able to play wide or up front, as opposed to another small, lightweight, player. More of a Saint-Maximin than Minamino type. (I know there is not a hope in Hell of us signing either of those mentioned, just mentioning them as examples of the type of player I would like to see us bring in.)

Completely agree on the concept of recruiting an experienced CB if JV goes.  Someone who is a cool head who reads the game well like Evans at Leicester would mean we had a great range of complimentary skills across the CB group.

39 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

To replace Ings on the physio's slab?

Nice kid, good player on his day, but he had a poor fitness record before his most recent serious knee injury, and that ACL injury was described by (I think) the surgeon who rebuilt his knee as horrendous and about as bad as it gets.

It's no surprise he hasn't returned to anywhere near the right level. There's got to be major doubts that he ever will.

He's been on the bench for last few months without hardly getting on which is strange given the bad run Liverpool went on. One assumes he's fit just out of favour.

I think a few people are overthinking the whole age/experience situation with CBs. I don’t think it matters, simply put the players we bring in just need to be good. Svensson,  Lovren, Toby and Virgil all came to us not having played a minute of English football and were immediately excellent. Stephens and Bednarek have both played for us for several years now and no matter the manager, formation or the player combination at CB, both regularly look capable of basic errors and lapses in concentration.

They are cheap, okay players who will continue to be cheap and okay for the rest of their careers. 

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think a few people are overthinking the whole age/experience situation with CBs. I don’t think it matters, simply put the players we bring in just need to be good. Svensson,  Lovren, Toby and Virgil all came to us not having played a minute of English football and were immediately excellent. Stephens and Bednarek have both played for us for several years now and no matter the manager, formation or the player combination at CB, both regularly look capable of basic errors and lapses in concentration.

They are cheap, okay players who will continue to be cheap and okay for the rest of their careers. 

But they all played and learnt alongside experienced CBs in Claus and Jose. 

Its not critical, but I think for the development of Salisu and potentially a young LB once recruited, an experienced CB would help with that

18 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Agree with you about an experienced CB. 

Orban signed a contract extension with Leipzig a few weeks ago.

On 05/05/2021 at 17:29, Minsk said:

We seem to be getting linked to a few, so I get the feeling will be in the market for one. I also feel that will be in addition to us signing Theo, who gives options as a FWD and an AM.

Undoubtedly, our priority is a LB, whether Bertrand stays or goes (personally, I think he will go).

Second priority should be a player to cover RB and LB, but have a feeling that may well be a loanee.

The issue with a loaner cover fullback is are you going to get anyone decent. Clubs with young prospects won’t want to be sending them places they’ll spend most of the time bench sitting. Ideally buying a player who has some versatility to play in other positions would be ideal. 

3 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

But they all played and learnt alongside experienced CBs in Claus and Jose

Its not critical, but I think for the development of Salisu and potentially a young LB once recruited, an experienced CB would help with that

As did Davenport, Jakobsson and Hooiveld. It can’t hurt to have a bit of experience but it wouldn’t be my criteria for Vest’s replacement. If it’s a straight choice between a 22 year old and a 32 year old of similar ability, I’d go for the younger one every time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Adam Armstrong scored his 28th league goal today, back to back hattricks, all for a lower midtable Blackburn side, got to be worth having a look at IMO. 

Sadly a little bit out of our price range I think, I read that Blackburn were looking for 25m+ for him. No chance we can afford that.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Sadly a little bit out of our price range I think, I read that Blackburn were looking for 25m+ for him. No chance we can afford that.

And Barcelona reportedly want £1billion for Messi ... but as no-one is paying that, they won't get it.

Got to be worth an offer, surely. I like the model of decent Championship players over foreign nationals we struggle to get a work permit for.

Go for it. Offer the £15m.

1 minute ago, the saint in winchester said:

And Barcelona reportedly want £1billion for Messi ... but as no-one is paying that, they won't get it.

Got to be worth an offer, surely. I like the model of decent Championship players over foreign nationals we struggle to get a work permit for.

Go for it. Offer the £15m.

I think most of our budget will be spent on full backs. I don't think we'll be looking for a striker if Ings stays.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we sold Ings and didn't sign Walcott, that basically makes up the difference. Either way, we can't just not spend because we're skint, it'll eventually relegate us like it did in 2005. If Gao doesn't want the value of his asset to collapse, he's going to have to start financing these kind of deals one way or another.

Having said all that, I can't say I can recall watching AA play for Blackburn so I'm not endorsing him personally.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

If we sold Ings and didn't sign Walcott, that basically makes up the difference. Either way, we can't just not spend because we're skint, it'll eventually relegate us like it did in 2005. If Gao doesn't want the value of his asset to collapse, he's going to have to start financing these kind of deals one way or another.

Having said all that, I can't say I can recall watching AA play for Blackburn so I'm not endorsing him personally.

If we're skint, where's the money coming from?? The club were pretty candid on the forum the other night. There is no investment, we get no money or assistance from the owners. Anything we spend is self generated, either through commercial, match day revenues, player transfers etc.

Of course this model will relegate us eventually, it's not sustainable in terms of competitiveness. But we have no option until we get investment avenues from elsewhere.

I think the new sponsorship deal gives us a little bit of flex, but we're primarily relying on getting as much as we can for Hoedt, Lemina, maybe Elyonoussi etc. Those are the players who will generate the funds for us in the main. Or...if we have a big sale or two. That's how we'd generate the funds for the likes of Armstrong or Toney etc.

12 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Armstrong only has a year left on his contract so that in theory should bring his price down. He's the sort of player we should be looking at but I'm sure there will be a lot of clubs interested.

I'm speculating but I can't imagine Blackburn's finances are in great shape. Should Ings go I would like to see us testing their resolve with an offer of £12-15 mil. Much like us with Danny I expect they can't afford to let him run down his contract and potentially leave for free.

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Armstrong only has a year left on his contract so that in theory should bring his price down. He's the sort of player we should be looking at but I'm sure there will be a lot of clubs interested.

A year left on a contract only seems to depreciate the price on players that Southampton attempt sell......😀

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit
  • Sad 1

On 06/05/2021 at 07:32, Hawkswood said:

Oxlade chamberlain anyone ?

When he came off the bench for Liverpool last night, he crossed my mind too, I was thinking he perhaps might not be in Liverpools plans anymore.

I imagine as he is £40m player, his wages would be prohibitive, but putting that to one side, I also wonder what position he would play? For me, without question when he played right midfield for us, bombing up and down the line, that was when he was at his best. Arsenal and Liverpool haven't ever really played him in that role - which was a mistake IMO. I wonder if he still has that lung busting game in him. If he does, then I'd be very interested.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

When he came off the bench for Liverpool last night, he crossed my mind too, I was thinking he perhaps might not be in Liverpools plans anymore.

I imagine as he is £40m player, his wages would be prohibitive, but putting that to one side, I also wonder what position he would play? For me, without question when he played right midfield for us, bombing up and down the line, that was when he was at his best. Arsenal and Liverpool haven't ever really played him in that role - which was a mistake IMO. I wonder if he still has that lung busting game in him. If he does, then I'd be very interested.

I imagine if we get anyone from Liverpool, it would be a loan like Neco Williams or Harvey Elliott.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I imagine if we get anyone from Liverpool, it would be a loan like Neco Williams or Harvey Elliott.

I actually thought of him as a sensible loan option the other day, actually. 

17 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If we're skint, where's the money coming from?? The club were pretty candid on the forum the other night. There is no investment, we get no money or assistance from the owners. Anything we spend is self generated, either through commercial, match day revenues, player transfers etc.

Someone, somewhere needs to come up with some money. I know that sounds ridiculously simplistic but I'm not running the club and know nothing about banking and finance. What we're doing right now is the football equivalent of missing two months rent and just shrugging our shoulders. Somebody needs to get a weekend job or work a few extra hours before we get evicted from the league.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Someone, somewhere needs to come up with some money. I know that sounds ridiculously simplistic but I'm not running the club and know nothing about banking and finance. What we're doing right now is the football equivalent of missing two months rent and just shrugging our shoulders. Somebody needs to get a weekend job or work a few extra hours before we get evicted from the league.

I lay the blame, solely with the big clubs. They started paying the big bucks, and we, along with all the other also rans, have been trying to keep up. We are paying ridiculous amounts to what are, average players, and we are struggling. If we fail to pay those stupid wages, then we get average, below average players, and that is the market we are about to enter. 

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't think there is any. I'm not sure if you heard the fans forum? It was pretty eye opening I thought. Martin was candid and said that there is no investment, there is no money put in my the owners. Not a penny. Anything we want to do has to be self-generated through commercials and player trading, that's what they said. They kind of painted that as a positive in that they were allowed to reinvest that money and the owner didn't 'take it back' - I'd be fucking fuming if he did try and take money!

They were pretty clear that we need investment, Martin said he was surprised it hadn't happened yet and didn't think it would be too far away. That's what we've got to hope for. I don't think it'll be in time for this window, so we've got to try and be clever to raise as much loose change as we can to bolster the squad and keep our head above water.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Apparently.....and Im only quoting what I read,  they were willing to let him go for 17m. Not sure if we could afford it, but was quite keen on him playing wide also or even coming inside and linking midfield with attack as thats something we can all see that we need.

Just now, Hawkswood said:

Apparently.....and Im only quoting what I read,  they were willing to let him go for 17m. Not sure if we could afford it, but was quite keen on him playing wide also or even coming inside and linking midfield with attack as thats something we can all see that we need.

We wouldn't be able to sign him perm, but a loan could be a viable option - maybe? He needs a regular season to get himself going again, we could give him that. I have been thinking similar as well - could be a potential deal to be done there if Liverpool were willing to help us with the financials, as they did with Minamino.

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

We wouldn't be able to sign him perm, but a loan could be a viable option - maybe? He needs a regular season to get himself going again, we could give him that. I have been thinking similar as well - could be a potential deal to be done there if Liverpool were willing to help us with the financials, as they did with Minamino.

This would be a great deal for us even on a loan. Just look at the way a player like Lingaard has given West Ham fresh impetus this season. I know people don't rate him that much, but I would have had him here above Walcott and Minamino in a flash. 

Why would Liverpool let him leave on loan ? Unless it's a deadline day 'get him off the payroll' - and I hope we don't leave our activity until then (again), I can't see it. If he's surplus to their requirements, I' imagine they will look to sell.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Why would Liverpool let him leave on loan ? Unless it's a deadline day 'get him off the payroll' - and I hope we don't leave our activity until then (again), I can't see it. If he's surplus to their requirements, I' imagine they will look to sell.

Would love to see him and Theo back at the club next season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Ralph did say about keeping some funds back go the end of the window for bargains.

Think we will get 2 or 3 early, Theo confirmed, then wait like a Praying Mantis.

5 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Watched the (very enjoyable ) Pompey game this afternoon. Surely that young Accrington keeper would be worth a punt and shift on one of our two average keepers ?

Wasn't there a story a few months back that we were looking at him?

On 05/05/2021 at 17:29, Minsk said:

IF Ings stays we are okay up top. We would have Ings, Adams, Theo, Redmond, and Tella plus whoever from Long, Obafemi and N'Lundulu who isn't sold/loaned. That said, I think we will sell (or loan) Long; loan N'Lundulu; unsure about Obafemi. If we sell him I think we will replace with another young player from somewhere. Obviously if Ings goes replacing him also becomes a priority.

A solid, ball winning, CM would be nice - but think that role goes to Romeu, so any new signing would only be as a back-up to him. I also think Armstrong has shown he can do a great job in CM, so Romeu, JWP, Diallo and Armstrong should be enough. (Maybe another reason why we are looking at an AM? Perhaps it is seen as an easier/better role to purchase a player for?)

We are okay at CB, unless Vestergaard goes. If he does go I would be very happy to see Salisu start the season, and I don't expect Bednarek to be dropped. That would mean any new CB would probably be signed as a back-up. Would rather Vest stayed. (Or maybe Hoedt will be that 4th choice CB - gulp!)

Gunn is staying at Stoke for next season. We will almost certainly retain Macca and Fraser to fight it out for the GK slot. We might sign a young, one for the future, 'keeper as 3rd choice.

Given all the above, that would mean we would only be looking to buy a LB followed by an AM - unless we need to replace someone we sell. So, yes, we should be able to afford one.

N.B. If we do need to sign a player to replace a sold one I fully expect us to spend less on the replacement than we get for the outgoing player (i.e. said replacement being young 'with room for improvement'). I would also prefer it if we bought a covering FB outright as opposed to loaning one. However, I do think that we will loan 2 players in regardless next season.

I wouldn't sign Walcott personally, it would be an indication of a lack of ambition. He hasn't set the pulses racing and he's not going to get any better.

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I wouldn't sign Walcott personally, it would be an indication of a lack of ambition. He hasn't set the pulses racing and he's not going to get any better.

We're gunna sign like 8 players most likely. Not all of them need to be ambition moves. I don't like Theo either but maybe signing Theo plus a £20m striker will do us better than signing a £10m striker and £10m attacking mid. Maybe not though, depends what's available at what price. Alright option to have though.

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

It can't be underestimated the value of one or two players of Theos history within the club, playing experience, winning, and international experience. What he may be lacking on the field ideally he will add tones during the day job and Semmens alluded to this aspect being part of the reason. 

11 hours ago, SKD said:
11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I actually thought of him as a sensible loan option the other day, actually. 

I think we were in for him before he signed for Liverpool.  IF Liverpool decide to send him out, he might be a good option.  Has looked very good on loan at Blackburn, especially when you consider he's just turned 18.

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

We're gunna sign like 8 players most likely. Not all of them need to be ambition moves. I don't like Theo either but maybe signing Theo plus a £20m striker will do us better than signing a £10m striker and £10m attacking mid. Maybe not though, depends what's available at what price. Alright option to have though.

8 players??? a £20m striker?? I hope you're ITK!

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

8 players??? a £20m striker?? I hope you're ITK!

I'm not haha, just hopeful. I think 8 seems to be about right though as we apparently want 2 players in every position. That means three fullbacks if RB leaves, a CB if Vest leaves, another CM, An attacking mid, and a striker (two if Danny leaves). I also suspect we will try and sell one keeper and bring in a new one. I think that adds up to 7-9 players. £20m striker does seem unlikely though I'd say if we are signing that many.

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'm not haha, just hopeful. I think 8 seems to be about right though as we apparently want 2 players in every position. That means three fullbacks if RB leaves, a CB if Vest leaves, another CM, An attacking mid, and a striker (two if Danny leaves). I also suspect we will try and sell one keeper and bring in a new one. I think that adds up to 7-9 players. £20m striker does seem unlikely though I'd say if we are signing that many.

LOL We won’t be bringing in 8 players 

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

You're very optimistic! I hope you're right, but I can only see a maximum of 4 players. 

2 full backs, one on loan and one for about £10m and an attacker (probably Theo on a free) will be what we do in the main. The 4th will be whatever pops up at the end of the window. I'm assuming we're keeping everyone else as well.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

You're very optimistic! I hope you're right, but I can only see a maximum of 4 players. 

2 full backs, one on loan and one for about £10m and an attacker (probably Theo on a free) will be what we do in the main. The 4th will be whatever pops up at the end of the window. I'm assuming we're keeping everyone else as well.

If we do that and lose Vest, Ings, and Bertrand I think we'll really struggle next season. If we can retain two or three of them then maybe that would be alright but I still think that is a relegation threatened squad with a couple of injuries.

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep this is exactly what I see too.

Although I think we will definitely use the loan market. I'm not entirely sure what the official loan rules are

As a club are you only allowed maximum 2 loans? Or is it 4 loans, but maximum 2 from PL / 2 from elsewhere?

image.thumb.png.bb5c65dd487cde15d3dc46d76eeead96.png

This is what I found from the PL website but I can't quite understand that the 2nd bullet point is making out! I am presuming it is max. 2 based on the first bullet point.

Edited by nta786

1 hour ago, TWar said:

8 players!? 😂😂

• Like 1

Just now, nta786 said:

Yep this is exactly what I see too.

Although I think we will definitely use the loan market. I'm not entirely sure what the official loan rules are

As a club are you only allowed maximum 2 loans? Or is it 4 loans, but maximum 2 from PL / 2 from elsewhere?

image.thumb.png.bb5c65dd487cde15d3dc46d76eeead96.png

This is what I found from the PL website but I can't quite understand that the 2nd bullet point is making out! Is it 2 or 4? 

I'm fairly sure you can only loan two players from the PL - both have to be from separate clubs. There can be another 2 brought from outside in Europe.

West Brom bought in Okay, Diagne from Europe. And then added Maintland Niles and Gallagher from the PL clubs.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ignoring the fact that Ralph said full backs and a CM (backup for Romeu). Assuming no-one leaves (except Bertrand) we will sign 2 or 3 FBs and a DM extra - this will bring us up to having 2 per position. I think we will also bring in a new AM, Striker and possibly keeper, but they will be replacements for players departing, I can see us moving out two of Redmond, Djenepo, Adams, Obafemi, N'Lundulu. Either Forster or McCarthy will go, new young keeper in as #2 (Toby Savin?). Walcott is allegedly a done deal. We have no money but that doesn't stop some wheeling & dealing to freshen up the squad.