Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

17 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Agree and Bertrand the other most likely. Whereas Ings can earn the club a decent transfer fee, Bertie probably can't, we need the sort of money that would pay for an adequate replacement if we sell.

On the other hand Dan Sheldon doesn't come across to me as an insider so all of that guff from The Athletic needs to be taken with huge pinch of salt.

Yeah I've subscribed to the athletic for ages and there isn't even half the detail in anything he writes compared to other writers for other teams.

The guy who covers Chelsea is brilliant the article he did after Lampard got sacked, for insider scoop was superb.

Sheldon just sounds like guff I could have guessed.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Yeah I've subscribed to the athletic for ages and there isn't even half the detail in anything he writes compared to other writers for other teams.

The guy who covers Chelsea is brilliant the article he did after Lampard got sacked, for insider scoop was superb.

Sheldon just sounds like guff I could have guessed.

Agree. I signed up when they had deals on last season and that Anka was the bloke who covered us. 

I appreciate it can be hard to find a story with a club like us, but at least he provided some Very good in depth tactical reports which made good reading. 

I doubt I’ll renew my sub when it’s up in a months time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Agree. I signed up when they had deals on last season and that Anka was the bloke who covered us. 

I appreciate it can be hard to find a story with a club like us, but at least he provided some Very good in depth tactical reports which made good reading. 

Dan Sheldon was poached from the Echo though right? So i guess he's stepped up? But sadly he is still quite limited.

14 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Dan Sheldon was poached from the Echo though right? So i guess he's stepped up? But sadly he is still quite limited.

The Echo just rewrites what's already out there in the main. Not a chance they still get exclusives, not that they ever did.

Blackmore seems to be the only one that gets it from the horse's mouth.

Don't think 6 is really a priority at all tbh. JWP, Romeu and Diallo are all good enough to start for me and I would prefer 4th choice go to one of Jankewitz or Smallbone than spend money there when we have big gaps at LB, AM, and potentially striker if Ings goes.

Priority list for me:
1) Replacement for Ings (if he leaves)
2) Leftback
3) Quality attacking mid
4) RB/LB cover utility player
5) Goalkeeper (statistically Gunn, Forster, and Macca are all way under the standard we need and atleast one should be shifted, pref 2)
6) Young prospect to replace Vestergaard (If he leaves)
7) Cheap CM to play 4th choice behind JWP/Diallo/Romeu (could easily be Jankewitz if we rate him enough to give him a new deal/can convince him)

Edited by TWar

3 hours ago, kjurwi said:

We are having an severe  lack of Swedes. 

Would like to se us go for Jordan Larsson(Spartak Moskva) or Jesper Karlsson(AZ Alkmaar) both strikers/ wingers.

If Vestergaard leaves go for Filip Helander(Rangers). 

Can't find a Swedish left  or Rightback i want us to buy.

This will fix things😁

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/330549/Show/Gabriel-Gudmundsson

Looks decent. Better than Vokins as backup at least.

Not opposed to Theo on a permanent deal, if wages are similar to what we're paying now (think £50k a week mentioned) - 2 year deal seems reasonable. Especially if it coincides with Long leaving. An upgrade, with a slightly younger player and not much difference in wages. 

3 hours ago, SKD said:

same here. Anka was good

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

For the 'number 6' role? Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Diallo and Jankewitz is fine for depth there. Others areas need improvement before adding there.

Clearly isn't as this season has demonstrated, lessons learned, when you play two in the middle like we do you have to have cover, critical area. The chances of JWP going through another season are very low (just by the law of averages), and whether Jankewitz stays is clearly open to question. 

My fear here is that the club feel they can replace Ings by signing Theo on a free to provide the 'immediate' replacement, and then getting a young/untried player (who needs time to bed in) from a lesser league on a cheapo deal. I'm sure the club will also sell the idea of Redmond as a striker to us as well.

It's a recipe for relegation if there ever was one.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

My fear here is that the club feel they can replace Ings by signing Theo on a free to provide the 'immediate' replacement, and then getting a young/untried player (who needs time to bed in) from a lesser league on a cheapo deal. I'm sure the club will also sell the idea of Redmond as a striker to us as well.

Interesting thought, lets hope is not the case

49 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Why do you fear that? He’s obviously a first choice player in a team that contains Ings, I don’t see any reason to think the club see him as Ings replacement. It’s strange that he has very quickly become a key player for us even if at times he’s really frustrating. I’d expect to see Long and perhaps Obafemi go in the summer if the stories of us bringing another striker in are correct, then if Ings goes a replacement for him. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ings and Walcott have been playing in the same starting line up... in different positions. So it isn't a replacement.

55 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair redmond looks better upfront than on the wing or as a 10 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why do you fear that? He’s obviously a first choice player in a team that contains Ings, I don’t see any reason to think the club see him as Ings replacement. It’s strange that he has very quickly become a key player for us even if at times he’s really frustrating. I’d expect to see Long and perhaps Obafemi go in the summer if the stories of us bringing another striker in are correct, then if Ings goes a replacement for him. 

Pretty much because of what Ralph has said previously, this is just how I see it playing out. ''We can't buy ready made players, we can only buy players who take time to adjust - not ready from day one etc'' - so that's why I think getting Theo on a freebie is an easy fix for an immediate Ings replacement,  with Redmond and Adams up front. Whilst they spend some money on a Diallo/Salisu type striker who will take a few months/year to get up to speed.

We also need to factor in Bertrand - if he goes...which is possible, that's him gone with no fee. So a large portion of that Ings transfer will need to go on a left back as well.

To be fair to the club, our scouting has improved - so I have hope that whoever we bring in will be decent in time, as Diallo has proven as the shining example from this summers recruitment.

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Pretty much because of what Ralph has said previously, this is just how I see it playing out. ''We can't buy ready made players, we can only buy players who take time to adjust - not ready from day one etc'' - so that's why I think getting Theo on a freebie is an easy fix for an immediate Ings replacement,  with Redmond and Adams up front. Whilst they spend some money on a Diallo/Salisu type striker who will take a few months/year to get up to speed.

We also need to factor in Bertrand - if he goes...which is possible, that's him gone with no fee. So a large portion of that Ings transfer will need to go on a left back as well.

To be fair to the club, our scouting has improved - so I have hope that whoever we bring in will be decent in time, as Diallo has proven as the shining example from this summers recruitment.

Fair comments.  I’d expect the club to think Adams will continue to develop, then we’ll sign the next Adams, a championship or foreign striker for £10-15m. But you’d think reading the report the striker we want is in addition if Ings stays, if goes we’ll bring in two. 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Depends if we get taken over and who buys us.

I don't think what you're describing is actively in the clubs train of thought right at this moment. To be honest.

1 hour ago, saint77 said:

To be fair redmond looks better upfront than on the wing or as a 10 

I honestly think it's all in his head.

If his head is in the game, it doesn't matter where he plays. He can play football, his head just isn't in often enough.

That's how I see Redmond.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeG said:

Williams is our no. 1 target at fb. Hoping Balogun is the Ings replacement. He's very similar in style. Not many strikers around like him imo.

Seems to have been the case for the last few windows. Seems a bit daft that Utd want to keep him around, but don't play him. I think he's looked like an accomplished player when he plays, needs game time at his age. I imagine this summer he'll make that clear to the club.

Assuming Theo joins, Minamino returns to Liverpool & Redmond moving up top... Don't we need another No.10?

I suppose the article answers that by saying Elyounoussi returns, but it's not much of a stretch to assume he won't suit Ralph's game.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Assuming Theo joins, Minamino returns to Liverpool & Redmond moving up top... Don't we need another No.10?

I suppose the article answers that by saying Elyounoussi returns, but it's not much of a stretch to assume he won't suit Ralph's game.

Elyonoussi is an interesting one as I feel like the club are going to give him a shot.

I don't think he's suited to this league though. If he's happy being on the bench he'd certainly add some of that missing depth, but how impactful he can be is questionable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Elyonoussi is an interesting one as I feel like the club are going to give him a shot.

I don't think he's suited to this league though. If he's happy being on the bench he'd certainly add some of that missing depth, but how impactful he can be is questionable.

I think "Covid finances" give him a small shot at redemption here, however I do think however that he is probably the highest up the desirable list of the #TheUnsellables

Lets face it, we aren't getting anything for Hoedt this summer apart from a mouthy article in the Dutch press.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

I think "Covid finances" give him a small shot at redemption here, however I do think however that he is probably the highest up the desirable list of the #TheUnsellables

Lets face it, we aren't getting anything for Hoedt this summer apart from a mouthy article in the Dutch press.

We may still have Lemina to shift as well.....again! Might be able to get a couple of million extra if we are able to sell to someone else.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We may still have Lemina to shift as well.....again! Might be able to get a couple of million extra if we are able to sell to someone else.

Do you think Lemina has done enough to turn any heads with his performances for Fulham?

At least he's played a fair few games for them.

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Do you think Lemina has done enough to turn any heads with his performances for Fulham?

At least he's played a fair few games for them.

Standard Lemina really, in and out of the side, 1 or 2 games where he stands out a little, but mixed in with a load of avergeness and 'missing in action' performances.

I think we could poss get 7-8m fee wise from someone as a going rate. The Fulham agreed fee is 4-5m I think. But yeah, your question is valid - who else could be interested? If he does come back, it may well be yet another loan I guess.

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

But will Lemina want to go to a championship side (if that’s how it turns out)?

No, he won't join them if they go down.  I meant that I wondered if his Fulham performances have peaked interest from abroad.

50 minutes ago, LeG said:

Williams is our no. 1 target at fb. Hoping Balogun is the Ings replacement. He's very similar in style. Not many strikers around like him imo.

Falorin Balogun? The kid has certainly got plenty of potential but if we're replacing Ings with him then we're taking a ridiculous risk. Has no PL appearances for Arsenal and bar goals against poor opposition in the EL, he is untested at the level required. Brewster to Sheff Utd springs to mind

11 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Falorin Balogun? The kid has certainly got plenty of potential but if we're replacing Ings with him then we're taking a ridiculous risk. Has no PL appearances for Arsenal and bar goals against poor opposition in the EL, he is untested at the level required. Brewster to Sheff Utd springs to mind

Yeah, hell of a risk.  Always a good sign when his current club are desperate to keep him, though.

Lots of teams want him.  At least we’d have a slot for him to fill if Ings / Long / Obafemi all leave. 

47 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yeah, hell of a risk.  Always a good sign when his current club are desperate to keep him, though.

Lots of teams want him.  At least we’d have a slot for him to fill if Ings / Long / Obafemi all leave. 

If hes a replacement for Long and Obafemi should they leave (cant see us replacing both given Redmond and Walcott's versatility) then I'd be happy with that.

The replacement for Ings needs to be a proven scorer at a decent level. We should be looking at Calum Wilson should Newcastle go down. Across Europe theres bound to be a number of players worth a chance in the PL. I see the top scorer in the Eredevisie is Giorgos Giakoumakis for VVV Venlo (where we signed Yoshida from) who has scored 24 in 26 this season!!

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

I think Theo, Redmond and Tella can all play up front or in the 10 position. With Adams/Ings (or replacement) and Armstrong/Moussa that gives us 7 players for 4 places. If it is deemed one more is required it could well be that the article was correct in us looking to bring in another striker.

Don't really think Elyonoussi is the answer. SPL is his level. Also, don't think he is up to the rigours of a pressing style, especially with the defensive elements that would be required of him. Of those still on our book, would rather see Obafemi get the 8th spot. That said, really think we will end up trying to ship out both of them, as well as Long.

Fingers crossed we can also finally get Lemina and Hoedt off our books!!

12 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

I honestly think it's all in his head.

If his head is in the game, it doesn't matter where he plays. He can play football, his head just isn't in often enough.

That's how I see Redmond.

I'd say thats a fair summation.

I'd snap up Keita in a heartbeat if he was offered. Injuries have hurt his career but before them he was considered one of the best midfielders in world football, thats why he cost them £55m a couple of years ago. He can't cut it against the likes of real madrid nowadays but there is a quality player under there and who better to get him back than his ex-manager who made him the first place. Could be just like the signing of Ings. Also still only 24. Won't happen though as the guy is still worth about £35m and his wages are through the roof, and if we have money like that we will need to spend elsewhere.

Edited by TWar

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'd snap up Keita in a heartbeat if he was offered. Injuries have hurt his career but before them he was considered one of the best midfielders in world football, thats why he cost them £55m a couple of years ago. He can't cut it against the likes of real madrid nowadays but there is a quality player under there and who better to get him back than his ex-manager who made him the first place. Could be just like the signing of Ings. Also still only 24. Won't happen though as the guy is still worth about £35m and his wages are through the roof, and if we have money like that we will need to spend elsewhere.

Leicester interested in him according to Sky

Edited by waylander

CM is pretty much the penultimate position I’d be prioritising this summer, just before CB. If we can afford one after spending the c£100m we need on a new ST, AM, LB, GK and more cover at FB then I’d look at it, but that’s not going to happen.

25 minutes ago, TWar said:

If you're talking about Keita, he's 26 and made just about 50 appearances for Liverpool in the 3 years he's been there.

Considering the sheer amount of games Liverpool get and making the final stages of most cup competitions they've been in, that is every bit as bad an injury record as Ings, probably worse.

I don't watch Spanish football but the commentators last night were saying Real Madrid aren't exactly playing world beating football right now and he got hooked after 42 minutes.

He's played 2 games all season.

He isn't who we want or need.

Unless he's free and takes a massive wage cut and even then I wouldn't.

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Romeu is a mile better than him.

He got hauled off before halftime lastnight.

So is Diallo.

Keita and Romeu completely different players. 

Keita is more ‘box to box’ and more similar to Lemina in style. 

He’s a good player, would improve us imo, but it’s never going to happen. Money better spent elsewhere. 

Keita is too big a name and has too big a reputation for Saints. Not even worth talking about that as a possibility.

Rico Henry would be an excellent signing and I actually would prefer him over Brandon Williams. (If we could get both though, WOW!)

Not sure what the finances of the Turkish clubs is like currently, but Lemina seemed to enjoy his time at Galatasaray and I do think they valued him - maybe a route for him at the end of the season? Hoedt - god knows, I think Lazio are unlikely to try and sign him on a permanent deal.

Balogun in, with Long and Obafemi going - provided we kept Ings - to rotate with Adams, Walcott and Nlundulu. That would be decent.

However, all this depends on what funds we have (if any) and whether there is a takeover (unlikely).

54 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

If you're talking about Keita, he's 26 and made just about 50 appearances for Liverpool in the 3 years he's been there.

Considering the sheer amount of games Liverpool get and making the final stages of most cup competitions they've been in, that is every bit as bad an injury record as Ings, probably worse.

I don't watch Spanish football but the commentators last night were saying Real Madrid aren't exactly playing world beating football right now and he got hooked after 42 minutes.

He's played 2 games all season.

He isn't who we want or need.

Unless he's free and takes a massive wage cut and even then I wouldn't.

Yep, you are right about the age, I was looking at his age when he joined. He is still a quality player in my mind. Real Madrid might not be be world beaters but being poor against a team of that size shouldn't be a write off for players joining us. He has had a dreadful injury record, but him playing that few games isn't just due to injury, he has also been competing with Henderson, Wijnaldum, Thiago/Lallana, Milner, AOC, Jones, Fabinho for three spots, increasingly now actually for two spots given they are often playing a 4231 to facilitate Jota. His days out injured is still high but for a team our size we aren't going to be getting £55m players at 26 without any drawbacks, if we think we can carefully manage his injuries we could have a star, it is a very similar situation to Ings who played 38 games in three years for Liverpool.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, revolution saint said:

It's not bizarre at all.  Even if he is the best midfield prospect in the Academy it doesn't mean he's good enough to cover the first team.  All you have to go on is a bit of hype from an over active agent and some U23 reports - have you ever seen him play aside from a few YouTube clips?  Every year we get the same old guff about our academy prospects and how they will make it in the first team and it rarely happens.  Couple of years ago I remember getting grief for suggesting Valery wasn't all that - now everyone agrees.  Last year it was how Smallbone would replace Hoijberg and even though he got injured I don't think anyone would seriously consider him in central midfield anymore. 

My point is that Jankewitz could be a decent player (I haven't seen him enough to make a judgement) but equally and more likely is that he won't be good enough - you're the one making a judgement on how good and capable he is without having anything substantial to back that up.  Add in the fact that RH clearly doesn't think he's ready either and your judgement looks dodgy as fuck.

Lol you’ve about summed up all of his posts on here .. 😂no one gives a fuck mate 🥱💯

1 hour ago, edprice1984 said:

Keita is too big a name and has too big a reputation for Saints. Not even worth talking about that as a possibility.

When we signed Lemina he was being bigged up by the likes of Balague & co as Paul Pogba MK2 and how much of a coup he was.

Anyway, I don't get the hype with Keita, he's looked bang average everytime I've seen him.

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

In

Walcott - Free

Balogun - Free

Williams - Loan

Henry - £12-£15m

Out

Lemina

Hoedt

Obafemi

Long

Wouldn't be a disaster? Then if/when Ings goes, whatever we get for him goes towards a replacement?

Balogun would cost compensation in the millions, probably.