Balogun - Free

Williams - Loan

Henry - £12-£15m

Out

Lemina

Hoedt

Obafemi

Long

Wouldn't be a disaster? Then if/when Ings goes, whatever we get for him goes towards a replacement?

You'd have to add Ings and Vestegaard to that for a combined £40-50 mill.  Hopefully we'll be assertive and spend some money on a reasonably proven striker.  I'd assume we'll be putting our faith in Salisu next season alongside Bednerek, but we'll need an additional CB for depth, preferably one who can play full back as well, the lad from Spurs would be ideal but doubt he'd come here if not guarantee to start.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

I see the top scorer in the Eredevisie is Giorgos Giakoumakis for VVV Venlo (where we signed Yoshida from) who has scored 24 in 26 this season!!

Could score for toffee in Greece, but absolutely flying in Holland. Well worth a scouting trip, if it were permitted, but looks like he has a decent all round game, willing to use both feet and the right kind of age. Hard to tell if he has any pace and what he's like against the best defenders.

👆🏼22, 50 goals in 70 games for RBS. Young, hungry and guaranteed to improve. Looks to fit the bill and profile of what we are recruiting these days quick, versatile and can play up front or outwide. Fee is £17m supposedly but Liverpool and Man United also linked. seems very exciting if indeed there is anything in it 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Edited by Turkish

4 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

You'd have to add Ings and Vestegaard to that for a combined £40-50 mill.  Hopefully we'll be assertive and spend some money on a reasonably proven striker.  I'd assume we'll be putting our faith in Salisu next season alongside Bednerek, but we'll need an additional CB for depth, preferably one who can play full back as well, the lad from Spurs would be ideal but doubt he'd come here if not guarantee to start.

Think Ings is almost certainly gone (if the reported interest materialises), but I can definitely see Vestergaard signing a new deal with us, just didnt want to commit to talks until we were pretty much safe. Think he needs another good season with us before he could genuinely be considered by bigger clubs. Although it doesnt work out that way and Spurs have issues at CB (not short of options though with Toby, Dier, Rodon and Sanchez - one of whom would need to be moved on)

22 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

In

Walcott - Free

Balogun - Free

Williams - Loan

Henry - £12-£15m

Out

Lemina

Hoedt

Obafemi

Long

Wouldn't be a disaster? Then if/when Ings goes, whatever we get for him goes towards a replacement

Vestergard, bertrand, and ings are likely all going this summer. Might get away with just 2 of the 3. 

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Bertrand and ings are going. Vestergaard I think might stay. 

Have you heard anything as to why bertie is off? I find that one strange given all the noises of giving him a position upstairs when he retired. 

Also means we have to buy 2 full backs this summer. One to replace him, and one for cover? Or is Ralph still keen on vokins and Valery? 

Edited by Saint86

If Bertrand does go then that would be two left backs required otherwise we are in the same situation as this season where one injury cripples us.

If Vokins has essentially been unselectable in the PL this season then I don't see why he becomes a viable option for next.

That said, I am fairly sure we will still end up a full back light next season.

Bertrand would make a fantastic free transfer for a team like Leicester where they would also be able to manage his minutes and freshness much better than we are able to.

Edited by Dusic

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

Really can’t get my head round letting Bertrand go if it’s our choice

Because he’s going to be 32 in summer and clearly has lost the energy and intensity needed to play our system effectively, as demonstrated by KWP. The Bertrand were watching right now is the better than anything he’s going to produce over the next two years and he’s already past his prime.

I don’t really understand the desire to have so many ‘experienced pros’, ‘good lads in the dressing room’ and ‘players who love the club’. We need decent players with the drive and desire to prove themselves, if players are just happy to be here, it’s usually because they won’t get a better offer from elsewhere. The best seasons in recent history came from the likes of Lallana, Lovren, J Rod, Toby, VvD, Mané, Morgan, Wanyama, Shaw and Clyne trying to put themselves in the shop window for bigger clubs. Personally, I prefer it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Really can’t get my head round letting Bertrand go if it’s our choice. It’d be a perfect scenario to have a senior left back with a new understudy in (Williams) to eventually take his place. 

Imagine it comes down to length of contract - something like he wants 3/4 years, we will only give 2. 

We still don't know what is holding up Bertrand signing - certainly the length of contract seems possible. If he wants three years, then we may not believe that is the right long term investment and/or he may have other suitors whispering in his ear that they can offer 3 years. Who knows ?   I don't think Saints want him to leave, but every player has a price. 

It did strike me that our recent link to Rico Henry was a hurry up and sign message as we won't wait for ever to Bertrand. Alternatively, maybe the contract is all agreed, but both parties are waiting for confirmation that we are in the Premiership next season (not a likely issue now, but could have been a few weeks ago). 

Either way, it is speculation, speculation until something concrete comes out. 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Because he’s going to be 32 in summer and clearly has lost the energy and intensity needed to play our system effectively, as demonstrated by KWP. The Bertrand were watching right now is the better than anything he’s going to produce over the next two years and he’s already past his prime.

I don’t really understand the desire to have so many ‘experienced pros’, ‘good lads in the dressing room’ and ‘players who love the club’. We need decent players with the drive and desire to prove themselves, if players are just happy to be here, it’s usually because they won’t get a better offer from elsewhere. The best seasons in recent history came from the likes of Lallana, Lovren, J Rod, Toby, VvD, Mané, Morgan, Wanyama, Shaw and Clyne trying to put themselves in the shop window for bigger clubs. Personally, I prefer it.

I don’t agree that he’s dropped off, think it’s exaggerated on here massively because he doesn’t bomb forward like KWP constantly, but mainly that option is there to enable the diagonal ball from Vestergaard. But regardless of that, for a club that has to sell to buy, where is the logic in letting a perfectly capable full back go for free, when we already need to buy at least one already? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I don’t agree that he’s dropped off, think it’s exaggerated on here massively because he doesn’t bomb forward like KWP constantly, but mainly that option is there to enable the diagonal ball from Vestergaard. But regardless of that, for a club that has to sell to buy, where is the logic in letting a perfectly capable full back go for free, when we already need to buy at least one already? 

Because he’s already a weak point in a team which could be fighting relegation next season. We’ve  been here before and it’s a false economy. We got relegated before clinging to the idea that ‘experienced pros’ like Telfer, Dodd, Delap, Claus and Le Saux could still do a job in defence and fleshing out the squad with cheap bargains like Yahia, Van Damme and Kenton.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Vestergard, bertrand, and ings are likely all going this summer. Might get away with just 2 of the 3. 

If that was true it wouldn't say much for Hasenhüttl's appeal to players as a progressive and development coach. For that reason alone it is all bullish*t.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If that was true it wouldn't say much for Hasenhüttl's appeal to players as a progressive and development coach. For that reason alone it is all bullish*t.

That isn't a basis for calling it BS 😅. That is like saying that players have no ambition to move to a higher level, increase their pay packets, challenge for trophies..

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

I'd be really concerned if Vestergaard left. He is not the greatest defender we have ever had but he is probably better than Bednarek. Considering WBA are the only other team to have conceded more goals than us, letting our "better" defender leave and hoping Salisu can step up is a recipe for disaster.

As for Bertrand, he is similar to Shane Long in fans letting hearts rule the head. At the time it looked a good idea to give Shane a two year extension, if not for his goals then for his work rate. However come the start of the season it quickly became obvious he had just gone the wrong side of his sell by date. We MIGHT get another season out of Bertrand, but to offer him a 2/3 year contract may prove to be too long. We need to buy a left back who will become first choice, not a back up option. And there lies the gamble, he most likely will be looking at a 2/3 year extension, but do Saints commit to a big wage when he may only warrant it for a season?

I have real concerns for this transfer window, we may lose good players for fees that will not be enough to fund decent replacements. Given the number of goals we have conceded it is clear we need strengthening and that is without losing existing players. 

Over the last 5 years due to poor recruitment the standard of squad has steadily declined. Bednarek was behind Yoshida (and many fans didn't think much of him), Romeo and JWP were mainly used as subs. Have they all improved? Or the the alternatives we bought to replace them turned out to be even worse!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mltburger said:

I'd be really concerned if Vestergaard left. He is not the greatest defender we have ever had but he is probably better than Bednarek. Considering WBA are the only other team to have conceded more goals than us, letting our "better" defender leave and hoping Salisu can step up is a recipe for disaster.

As for Bertrand, he is similar to Shane Long in fans letting hearts rule the head. At the time it looked a good idea to give Shane a two year extension, if not for his goals then for his work rate. However come the start of the season it quickly became obvious he had just gone the wrong side of his sell by date. We MIGHT get another season out of Bertrand, but to offer him a 2/3 year contract may prove to be too long. We need to buy a left back who will become first choice, not a back up option. And there lies the gamble, he most likely will be looking at a 2/3 year extension, but do Saints commit to a big wage when he may only warrant it for a season?

I have real concerns for this transfer window, we may lose good players for fees that will not be enough to fund decent replacements. Given the number of goals we have conceded it is clear we need strengthening and that is without losing existing players. 

Over the last 5 years due to poor recruitment the standard of squad has steadily declined. Bednarek was behind Yoshida (and many fans didn't think much of him), Romeo and JWP were mainly used as subs. Have they all improved? Or the the alternatives we bought to replace them turned out to be even worse!

I think there has been slight improvement from Jan. JWP and Romeu have improved massively in the roles they are now playing.

Still, I completely agree that the squad quality has decreased ever since the Koeman years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I think there has been slight improvement from Jan. JWP and Romeu have improved massively in the roles they are now playing.

Still, I completely agree that the squad quality has decreased ever since the Koeman years.

Vestergaard has improved more than anyone I think.

JWP always had technical ability but hadnt got the physicality or a clear position. Romeu has been up and down but good when settled in the side.

Vestergaard was previously a liability in our defence, a weak link amongst a poor back four.

He now looks not just competent but quality. A massive turnaround. Fair play to him and also to Ralph for coaxing that level out of him as I don't think any fans thought he had it in him.

Bednarek I think is more limited technically, but is durable, available and tends to do the basics well. He has also been a very good signing from Reed at £5m.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Vestergaard has improved more than anyone I think.

JWP always had technical ability but hadnt got the physicality or a clear position. Romeu has been up and down but good when settled in the side.

Vestergaard was previously a liability in our defence, a weak link amongst a poor back four.

He now looks not just competent but quality. A massive turnaround. Fair play to him and also to Ralph for coaxing that level out of him as I don't think any fans thought he had it in him.

Bednarek I think is more limited technically, but is durable, available and tends to do the basics well. He has also been a very good signing from Reed at £5m.

Stuart Armstrong is easily one of our best players these days.

6 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Have you heard anything as to why bertie is off? I find that one strange given all the noises of giving him a position upstairs when he retired. 

Also means we have to buy 2 full backs this summer. One to replace him, and one for cover? Or is Ralph still keen on vokins and Valery? 

I haven't spoken to anyone for a while I'm afraid so I wouldn't know. What I do know is they expected him to leave last summer and they didn't use him in any promo photos. Maybe covid changed things but that was the plan anyway. 

It was interesting in todays press conference, as I sensed a bit of confidence from Ralph regarding transfer plans. Talked about early deals and this is not something you need to mention, so would think there's one or two fairly far down the line. 

I'll quite possibly be proved incorrect but I have a sneaky feeling that all 3 of Ings , Bertrand, and Vestergaard will end up staying. If that does prove to be the case I think the signing of Walcott and A.N.Other Striker will be all that is required up top. Sure you could sell Redmond or Djenneppo, or both and refresh but I wouldnt expect that. I like the prospect of Tella but think N'Dundulu wont make it here. I can see many of the fringe players going, cant remember all the names but the ones that I think will come through are Jankewietz (if he stays) and Caleb Watts next season. 

In CM Romeu, JWP, and Diallo are good, and if AJ does stay thats probably good enough. In worst case scenarios, Armstrong or Stephens can go in there. 

Although having mentioned Stephens I wonder if he will go, probably be lucky to get 10m for him but hes not going to get good enough to oust the 3 now ahead of him, and if there is a CB coming through (Tchapchat??) he will either block or get fed up not being involved. But we do need 4 CBs who can start!

Fullback is obviously the big one this summer. I hope Bertrand stays, but like others I would like to see some more KWP energy on the left (not at the same time  of course!!), but I think Bertrand is far better than given credit for. Someone to push him though (like Redmond has suffered and seemingly responded to, at least recently an short term) and start may be great. And someone who is perhaps a bit younger but can play RB as well, ideally a utility RB/CB?

In the GK position, I would be fine with Fraser staying but think we should sell McCarthy and Gunn, and get at least one more in who should be able to start. 

All in all it could be a good summer.  

13 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

It was interesting in todays press conference, as I sensed a bit of confidence from Ralph regarding transfer plans. Talked about early deals and this is not something you need to mention, so would think there's one or two fairly far down the line. 

I'll quite possibly be proved incorrect but I have a sneaky feeling that all 3 of Ings , Bertrand, and Vestergaard will end up staying. If that does prove to be the case I think the signing of Walcott and A.N.Other Striker will be all that is required up top. Sure you could sell Redmond or Djenneppo, or both and refresh but I wouldnt expect that. I like the prospect of Tella but think N'Dundulu wont make it here. I can see many of the fringe players going, cant remember all the names but the ones that I think will come through are Jankewietz (if he stays) and Caleb Watts next season. 

In CM Romeu, JWP, and Diallo are good, and if AJ does stay thats probably good enough. In worst case scenarios, Armstrong or Stephens can go in there. 

Although having mentioned Stephens I wonder if he will go, probably be lucky to get 10m for him but hes not going to get good enough to oust the 3 now ahead of him, and if there is a CB coming through (Tchapchat??) he will either block or get fed up not being involved. But we do need 4 CBs who can start!

Fullback is obviously the big one this summer. I hope Bertrand stays, but like others I would like to see some more KWP energy on the left (not at the same time  of course!!), but I think Bertrand is far better than given credit for. Someone to push him though (like Redmond has suffered and seemingly responded to, at least recently an short term) and start may be great. And someone who is perhaps a bit younger but can play RB as well, ideally a utility RB/CB?

In the GK position, I would be fine with Fraser staying but think we should sell McCarthy and Gunn, and get at least one more in who should be able to start. 

All in all it could be a good summer.  

I listened and I must admit I came away feeling quite confident. He sounded quite bullish and obviously he must have reason to feel bullish.

This is one of the quotes:

"I am sure not only this player will sign (Theo), but we will have next season a very, very balanced and mentally strong side, for sure."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Bertrand and ings are going. Vestergaard I think might stay. 

Are you an insider on here? How do you know that?

Who's in for Bertrand? Looking around I can't see any clubs better than us screaming out for a 30 something LB...he's the one player who's being rumoured left, right and centre because he hasn't signed his contract, but I can't see where he's going to go...

He's not going to leave us to be back up somewhere else and like someone else commented, he did an Interview where he said he had aspirations to move upstairs here, can't remember if he explicitly said here, but he alluded to it at the very least.

So what's changed?

4 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Who's in for Bertrand? Looking around I can't see any clubs better than us screaming out for a 30 something LB...he's the one player who's being rumoured left, right and centre because he hasn't signed his contract, but I can't see where he's going to go...

Leicester

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Leicester

Well alright fair enough if they want him but the bloke is going to be 32 at the start of next season, if they're interested it will be because he's free and highly doubt they see him as a starter, he'll be backup at best.

If he really wants to leave us, good luck to him but it doesn't make a lot of sense, it's not like it's going to be a one last big payday is it?

I mean, how much are they really going to offer a 32 year old LB? I'd suggest not a great deal more than he's on here. He's probably on £60K or thereabouts here.

Edited by JustinSFC

37 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Are you an insider on here? How do you know that?

He's not going to leave us to be back up somewhere else and like someone else commented, he did an Interview where he said he had aspirations to move upstairs here, can't remember if he explicitly said here, but he alluded to it at the very least.

So what's changed?

Not better than us but Could see Palace being interested given they are losing van Aanholt. 

9 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Really can’t get my head round letting Bertrand go if it’s our choice. It’d be a perfect scenario to have a senior left back with a new understudy in (Williams) to eventually take his place. 

Its more than likely not our choice. Probably wants a new challenge with reaching the twilight years of his career. Hes been with us for nearly 7 years so who can blame him (some fair ups and downs in there)

44 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I think people are underrating Bertrand. He may not be able to get up and down enough for our system but against Liverpool, KWP got all the plaudits for scrapping with Mane when on the other side, Bertrand didn't give Salah an inch

I think he's been an absolutely awesome servant for us...but if the opportunity arose to refresh that position, then I'd be keen to explore it. He's not getting any younger, he will likely want a big wage - and someone like Rico Henry at 23 offers much better value I'd have said.

If Bertrand wants to hang around and play rotation with Rico or similar, then great....but I think it's getting to the stage where the club are looking at the future beyond Bertrand.

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Well alright fair enough if they want him but the bloke is going to be 32 at the start of next season, if they're interested it will be because he's free and highly doubt they see him as a starter, he'll be backup at best.

If he really wants to leave us, good luck to him but it doesn't make a lot of sense, it's not like it's going to be a one last big payday is it?

I mean, how much are they really going to offer a 32 year old LB? I'd suggest not a great deal more than he's on here. He's probably on £60K or thereabouts here.

Champions League (though he already has that on his CV of course) and linking up with Brendan Rogers again (coached him at Chelsea). It was mooted last year, but the stories are circulating again now. Makes a great deal of sense.

I thought Bertie's whole thing was that he was settled in Surrey, part of the reason he came to us was so he can commute down the M3 and stay where he was when he played for Chelsea? Why would he up sticks to Leicester in the twilight of his career?

Brighton should be in for him, though obviously a sideways move he would be a hell of an upgrade on Dan Burn at LB for them.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I don't think he's shown enough to warrant a big transfer fee. I can see him heading off to a foreign league where he can really show his talents.

You’re probably right.  My only defence of him would be I’d like to see him feature when we are actually good.  Him coming in to a team struggling can’t be easy, especially when he’s not confident/fully match fit. 

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

You’re probably right.  My only defence of him would be I’d like to see him feature when we are actually good.  Him coming in to a team struggling can’t be easy, especially when he’s not confident/fully match fit. 

It's a fair point. Hopefully we're building some momentum again, so he can start to be part of a positive team in our remaining games. I still think he struggles to assert himself though, both on and off the ball.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a fair point. Hopefully we're building some momentum again, so he can start to be part of a positive team in our remaining games. I still think he struggles to assert himself though, both on and off the ball.

Agreed. Decent player in there somewhere, though.  Lovely couple of goals. 

Embargoed section of Ralph presser quite interesting.

Seems confident on transfers and said the backup players haven't been good enough this season and it has really hurt us, specifically mentioning full back.

Confirmed that we are looking around the £10m mark and aren't going to be buying players for £20-30m. Refefenced Diallo and Salisu as good buys around that price and that there are good talents available that we can afford and develop.

Said Brexit driven work permit issues are frustrating as if you find good cheap talents its almost like they are considered not worthy of a WP because they are cheap. But other markets are more open to us.

Suggested we dont need to sell key players to buy as have others who will generate cash to lower clubs.

Overall it sounds like he has been promised a decent amount of activity.

Edited by Dusic

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Seems confident on transfers and said the backup players haven't been good enough this season and it has really hurt us, specifically mentioning full back.

Confirmed that we are looking around the £10m mark and aren't going to be buying players for £20-30m. Refefenced Diallo and Salisu as good buys around that price and that there are good talents available that we can afford and develop.

Said Brexit driven work permit issues are frustrating as if you find good cheap talents its almost like they are considered not worthy of a WP because they are cheap. But other markets are more open to us.

Suggested we dont need to sell key players to buy as have others who will generate cash to lower clubs.

Think the loan was taken to do an overhaul of the squad with a large number of £5-15m players. A good time to do it as a lot of clubs will probably be willing to sell for less in exchange for cash up front.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dusic said:

How have you got access to the embargoed bit of the press conference?