Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

On 12/04/2021 at 15:05, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

We seem to do better with Scandanavian players, IMO, many of whom these days are now hoovered up by German and other continental European sides. Bringing them in from their own countries before they move to those leagues surely has to be a better bet than scouring South America where we don't know if the player will transition well to a very different style of football. I accept we've had the odd Stig Johansen or Vegard Forren but they didn't really break the bank in terms of transfer fee. I'm thinking Lundekvam, the two Svenssons, Ostenstad, Vestergaard, Hojbjerg, Ostlund and Stensgaard (ok, I'm joking about the last one) but I think you get my point.

Pretty much impossible to do this post Brexit.

Scandinavian leagues don't earn enough points for players to qualify for work permits as they are considered to not be a high enough standard.

The only way to get around that is to pay very high transfer fees and offer big wages, and possibly appearing in enough Champion's League games might offer a boost to WP qualification. The other option is to sign a player and loan him to a team in a top European League. If they play enough games for a team in a top division, I think they count as coming from that league for WP qualification.

The only European leagues that are likely to get enough points for a player to be granted a work permit are the the top divisions in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, and the Netherlands.

12 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Balogun signed new contract with arsenal which is very surprising

I think he was one of the ones the club was hoping to get on a freebie (albeit with some compo).

Back to the drawing board.

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he was one of the ones the club was hoping to get on a freebie (albeit with some compo).

Back to the drawing board.

Given the list of clubs who were seemingly interested in him, there wasnt much realistic chance of him coming to us

25 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://www.footmercato.net/a7369053773371682644-southampton-sattaque-a-randal-kolo-muani

This would fit with the recent comments from Ralph re fees and The Athletic suggesting we want a young striker.

One to watch maybe.

1 year left on his contract in the summer - Leipzig, Frankfurt, Nice and Brentford were interested in January apparently.

5 goals in 31 games.

Yes....he certainly will fit in.....

In February 2021, it was rumoured that Kolo Muani was the subject of a controversial videofilmed by William Saliba in 2018 that showed a France youth international teammate touching himself and masturbating.[7] Kolo Muani has denied on social media even being in the same dressing room as Saliba in France youth teams.[8]

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

https://www.footmercato.net/a7369053773371682644-southampton-sattaque-a-randal-kolo-muani

This would fit with the recent comments from Ralph re fees and The Athletic suggesting we want a young striker.

One to watch maybe.

With Balogun signing a new contract that probably means Eddie Nketieh will be off.  Not really seen enough of him to judge but another one that would meet the criteria.

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Linked with Jacob Murphy at Newcastle don’t know much about him but a winger, seems decent. Anyone watch a lot of Newcastle?

Can't get in Newcastle's starting 11 much can he.

I rated him before he went there.

6 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

If we have £20m to spend, not sure it will be on a centre-mid.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-included-race-swedish-midfielder-saints-need-part-e20/

Interesting that this link keeps popping up, though.

We need to be buying these players initally from clubs like Molde not Serie A, thats our market right now unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

We need to be buying these players initally from clubs like Molde not Serie A, thats our market right now unfortunately. 

Given this ESL shitstorm a lot of other clubs will be sticking their rods in that pond aswell.

This is unlikely to come as any great surprise to anyone on here but i thought i would pass on what i have been told by a scout (not a boy scout before anyone on here starts!) that our seasons transfer needs are a RB, LB, Winger and a No 9.

We all know we need cover at RB and LB and that even if Ings were to stay another striker is needed.  However i am slightly surprised about us wanting another winger as we seem well stocked in that area unless RH has given up on a couple of ours.

When i mentioned why do we need a winger we are about to permanently sign Theo his exact words were "Walcott's media team are paying for paid articles lining him up for a permanent move!"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

This is unlikely to come as any great surprise to anyone on here but i thought i would pass on what i have been told by a scout (not a boy scout before anyone on here starts!) that our seasons transfer needs are a RB, LB, Winger and a No 9.

We all know we need cover at RB and LB and that even if Ings were to stay another striker is needed.  However i am slightly surprised about us wanting another winger as we seem well stocked in that area unless RH has given up on a couple of ours.

When i mentioned why do we need a winger we are about to permanently sign Theo his exact words were "Walcott's media team are paying for paid articles lining him up for a permanent move!"

The winger is walcott presumably? And I'm surprised youvre surprised. Our on the books "wingers" are tella, redmond, djenpo, and Armstrong. That needs strengthening as even with walcott and minamino on loan we've struggled. 

I would enjoy it if we did actually go in for Daka (although I think it's unlikely), if only so we can be excited about a signing again. 

Edited by Saint86

2 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

That's only if Bertrand, Ings and Vestergaard don't leave surely. 

We need 2 LBs - one to replace Bertrand and another to provide cover and competition for the position. (It does suggest they don't think Vokins is good enough so why did they give him a long term contract?)

And if they think we need another right back it must mean Valery is on his way out and Kayne Ramsey is not judged to be good enough (so why did they give him a new contract unless they see him as a centre back on plan to send him out on loan to get more experience).

Whether or not Ings stays or goes we need another striker to provide cover and competition (suggests they don't think Obafemi or N'Lundulu are going to be good enough - and that Long will go on loan again - why did we give him a 2 year contract last summer!?)

Redmond, Djneppo and Tella  (as well as Elyounoussi and Minamino) are all right footers who primarily play on the left as inverted wingers/No. 10s so it means Armstrong is really are only right winger/attacking midfielder.  So we need another one who can play on the right - ideally a left footer. Personally I'd sell Redmond and Djeneppo and Elyounoussi and by 2 new AMs/Wingers/No. 10s.

I think we will need to replace all 3 of Bertrand, Ings and Vestergaard this summer on top of needing a RB, LB and CF.

I'd definitely agree with that, if it's the approach we're taking. There's no question we need a right back, but my feeling is that the RB will also end up being someone who can cover left back - and we'll also sign a first choice left back.. Can't see Bertrand hanging around, no real value in keeping him apart from experience.

I'd like another midfielder as well, if we're letting Jankewitz go (and Smallbone is long term).

Seen Vestergaard linked with both Juve and Roma now. Dont get me wrong, at times this season hes been very good and his long range passing is a joy to watch. But hes also been a mainstay at the heart of the second worst defence in the PL, which has shifted 58 goals in 32 games (nearly 2 a game). Hes also pretty slow and loses his man quite easy. Cant help but think that if he moves after just half a good season with us he will struggle with the demands at bigger clubs - bit like Lovren did at Liverool.

If he went to either team (not Spurs) and we got 15-20 million to reinvest in a replacement, I wouldnt be too bothered

What has become apparent, and will get more difficult once we are all allowed back in the stadiums, is how dependent the team are upon Ralph's constant coaching from the sideline. Although it has not been very successful since Christmas. 

I believe what we desperately need are a couple of leaders on the field - a centre back like Claus or Fonte;  and a central midfield organiser  - even a goat grazing in the centre circle with the game passing him by both ways -  maybe with JWP and Diallo as runners. A Jimmy Case or Chris Marsden type character. There must a couple of older players with a couple of years left in them coming to the end of their contracts.

Edited by Kingsland Red

27 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Seen Vestergaard linked with both Juve and Roma now. Dont get me wrong, at times this season hes been very good and his long range passing is a joy to watch. But hes also been a mainstay at the heart of the second worst defence in the PL, which has shifted 58 goals in 32 games (nearly 2 a game). Hes also pretty slow and loses his man quite easy. Cant help but think that if he moves after just half a good season with us he will struggle with the demands at bigger clubs - bit like Lovren did at Liverool.

If he went to either team (not Spurs) and we got 15-20 million to reinvest in a replacement, I wouldnt be too bothered

He'd be perfect for a team like Juve or Barca, where they dominate the ball and don't have to actually do a huge amount of defending. Big fan of his, hope we can keep him for another season but wouldn't be against selling him for a decent price.

On 22/04/2021 at 11:26, BARCELONASAINT said:

Not shocked by us wanting a winger, especially with Armstrong showing versatility as a CM cover.

On 23/04/2021 at 11:53, Billy the Kidd said:

What do we realistically think we will get for Jannick?  another £15m or so?

With PEH, i was surprised at that price not other interest came.

Everton supposedly would have offered more for PEH, but his head had been turned by Spurs and that was the only team he wanted to join. It made our negotiating position very weak. If a few clubs are after Jannick it could bump the price up further, so maybe £20m. 

Of course, it may just be Saints trying to make out there is competition for his signature to raise the price by hinting other teams are interested. For all we know he already has an informal agreement with Spurs.  The only thing that would surprise me with that is that (in my view) he doesn't have the defensive capabilities of a top 6 team due to pace/turning speed, plus Spurs will have a new Manager who will want to choose his own players.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Everton supposedly would have offered more for PEH, but his head had been turned by Spurs and that was the only team he wanted to join. It made our negotiating position very weak. If a few clubs are after Jannick it could bump the price up further, so maybe £20m. 

Of course, it may just be Saints trying to make out there is competition for his signature to raise the price by hinting other teams are interested. For all we know he already has an informal agreement with Spurs.  The only thing that would surprise me with that is that (in my view) he doesn't have the defensive capabilities of a top 6 team due to pace/turning speed, plus Spurs will have a new Manager who will want to choose his own players.  

Yeah the manager thing at Spurs made mine wonder, but Levy pulls most of the strings so if he wanted him due to being cheap, I’d imagine that is who the new manager will have to use.

A bit like Bale, I didnt think Jose wanted him, but levy did the deal. Bale wasnt used anywhere near enough.

Would like us to get rid of Forster this summer.

Average goalkeeper who can t distribute properly, and the highest paid player at the club ffs!!! Ditto Angus Gunn get rid

keep McCarthy as back up

Been looking at a few goalkeepers that fit Ralph s need in terms of distribution and commanding the area by sweeping:

Fernando Pacheco of Deportivo Alaves

Kevin Trapp of Frankfurt

Alex Remiro of Real Sociedad 

Timo Horn of FC Koln

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Average goalkeeper who can t distribute properly, and the highest paid player at the club ffs!!! Ditto Angus Gunn get rid

keep McCarthy as back up

Been looking at a few goalkeepers that fit Ralph s need in terms of distribution and commanding the area by sweeping:

Kevin Trapp of Frankfurt

Timo Horn of FC Koln

Frankfurt are skint as well according to hitzelberger in Kicker so I'll take him and possibly N'Dicka and Silva.

I'd also take a look for left back at Faitout Maouassa at Renne, contract runs out in 22 and he is the France U21 left back and same management as Diallo

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Frankfurt are skint as well according to hitzelberger in Kicker so I'll take him and possibly N'Dicka and Silva.

I'd also take a look for left back at Faitout Maouassa at Renne, contract runs out in 22 and he is the France U21 left back and same management as Diallo

Not sure if you have heard but so are we.....................

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I think we may ahve signed our left sided CB in Salisu last summer so N'Dicka seems unlikely although I recall his name bandied about on here from some dubious internet link. Silva has been talked about in connection with a few bigger clubs and £25-30m. 

Seem to recall Hinteregger was at Frankfurt though and another name talked about on here.

If only Gao had a pot to piss in that her could sell to raise some cash that is.

19 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

keep McCarthy as back up

Kevin Trapp of Frankfurt

Timo Horn of FC Koln

Add Juan Musso of Udinese to that list, looks very very good

20 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

keep McCarthy as back up

Kevin Trapp of Frankfurt

Timo Horn of FC Koln

So would the club, they’ve been trying for 3 seasons. We can’t shift him. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

So would the club, they’ve been trying for 3 seasons. We can’t shift him. 

31 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Isnt next season his last, or has he one more after that?

15 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Expires 2022.

He signed a 5 year contract in 2018, so expires on 30th June 2023

Stoke according to their local paper have apparently agreed to extend the loan to the end of next season.