Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

38 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Based on everything Ralph, Semmens and Crocker have said, and experience in recent times, it is very unlikely we are going to be signing anyone for a fee from another PL side, relegated or not.

Besides, Mitrovic and pressing goes together like Shane Long and composure.

People suggesting Mitrovic haven t seen how we play or have no football knowledge whatsover.

Sorry guys!

• Like 1

2 fullbacks has to be the minimum, 1 designated left back and then someone who can cover both sides. 

1 centre-mid so that Armstrong can return to his attacking role in the front 4

1 (or 2 if Ings leaves) attacking players - I'd like someone in the mould of Raphinha etc etc i.e. a tricky winger

Then hopefully we can get 2 loans in too - that gives us 6/7 players 

GK: Forster, McCarthy

RB: KWP / (Versatile Fullback)

LB: (New LB) / (Versatile Fullback from above)

CB: Vestegaard, Salisu, Bednarek, Stephens

CMs: JWP, Romeu, Diallo, (new CM)

RMs: Armstrong, Walcott

LMs: Djenepo, Redmond

STs: Ings, Adams, Tella, (new striker/winger)

Academy options = Obafemi, Will Ferry

This is what I think we will go into next season with assuming Ings stays - 4 permanent signings. I'd also like 2 loan signings to beef up squad - an attacking winger and perhaps another defensive minded player

Wouldn’t be surprised if we went for someone like Ryan Sessegnon on-loan maybe with an option to buy. Think for LB anyway will definitely be a loan with option to buy rather than an outright purchase.

I can understand why people are saying we need a full back who can cover both sides but didn't we buy KWP with just that in mind? We just haven't seen him on the left as we have no right back cover.  Any decent right backs out there who might be good for us?

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

2 fullbacks has to be the minimum, 1 designated left back and then someone who can cover both sides. 

1 (or 2 if Ings leaves) attacking players - I'd like someone in the mould of Raphinha etc etc i.e. a tricky winger

This is what I think we will go into next season with assuming Ings stays - 4 permanent signings. I'd also like 2 loan signings to beef up squad - an attacking winger and perhaps another defensive minded player

Unfortunately I don't see us doing any better next season than this season with a squad like that. Plus I think Vestergaard will be moving on to pastures new. Meaning we will need a new CB as well.  

We need to replace the players that will be leaving - as well as add some more quality and depth to the squad.  

A first choice left back is going to cost us more than £10M I would guess which means we are probably going to blow our budget on 2 or 3 players to replace players we have lost - unless we sell a few more.

Rico Henry would be good if Brentford don't get promoted  - or maybe Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth as they will need to sell if they don't get promoted (and he would provide cover as a left footed centreback as well).   Maybe Ajer from Celtic at centreback.

I think Tella will end up playing on the left and I see Walcott as our 4th choice striker.  

So as well as another striker I think we need an upgrade on the left over Djneppo and Redmond and real competition for Armstrong on the right - not too mention cover at left back and right back so  I'd happily sell both Djneppo and Redmond and replace them with someone like Danjuma .  Or maybe Lookman.  OIise from Reading would be a great option as cover and competition for Armstrong on the right.

Hopefully Slattery, Smallbone and Janketwitz can give us some depth in midfield - but I think we will still need a DM - Joey Veerman or someone like him maybe.

Lets hope we can raise some money from selling Lemina, Elyounoussi and Gunn so we can add some depth to the squad.

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

I can’t see us getting a CM, personally. I think Ralph rates Armstrong in there as cover if needed. 

We miss Romeu so much, so I guess it all depends on his recovery. 

A LB, cover for L/RB a creative attacking midfielder and a striker (2 if ings goes) is a must though. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Why doesn’t it? 

Because it doesn't provide depth in numbers if you are doubling up their roles. An injury to Armstrong would effectively be 2 injuries to the squad depth as he'd be unavailable for the number 10 and number 6 roles. 

We need to be increasing squad depth, and doubling up doesn't achieve that.

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Because it doesn't provide depth in numbers if you are doubling up their roles. An injury to Armstrong would effectively be 2 injuries to the squad depth as he'd be unavailable for the number 10 and number 6 roles. 

We’re not going to have 2 dedicated players for each position. It’s not feasible for a club our size and would result in large periods of non game time for some players. 

Just Like Theo can also be considered a striker, or a full back like Williams who can play either side, we will have players who cover a number of positions. 

3 CM’s + Armstrong is more than adequate. Especially on the assumption we’ll likely add depth and quality to the ‘number 10’ role. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Also, What about this Pathway you continually bang on about. Surely having 2 players for each position will block ‘the pathway’ for those coming through. 

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

We’re not going to have 2 dedicated players for each position. It’s not feasible for a club our size and would result in large periods of non game time for some players. 

A squad of 22 players (23 if you include a 3rd keeper) is not unfeasible for Saints to have as a squad.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

A squad of 22 players (23 if you include a 3rd keeper) is not unfeasible for Saints to have as a squad.

Of full first team professionals who are good enough to be relied upon, it is. I don’t think i know any players who would join us to be 4th choice. 

What about the pathway? 

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We need to be increasing squad depth, and doubling up doesn't achieve that.

You thought Jankewitz was good enough as cover for the midfield position, make your mind up.

24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I didn't say that. None of us know if he is good enough, I've said he looks promising from what we've seen at youth level.

Come on. The pathway. Youre ignoring the question. You’re an advocate of it and use it as an excuse as to why we shouldn’t sign players. 

Which means 2 first team players for each position will ruin the pathway... right? 

Edited by SKD

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Hopefully Smallbone returns from injury.  I can see Jankewitz leaving.

I don't think we can count on Will having a pre-season or being avaliable for the start though, so I don't think we can count on him.

I reckon he'll head out on loan in January to get some game time. I do genuinely think we will see another CM arrive, esp if Jankewitz leaves.

Two full backs, a CM, Theo and depending on things, maybe an attacker late on in a loan deal is what I can see.

42 minutes ago, SKD said:

Come on. The pathway. Youre ignoring the question. You’re an advocate of it and use it as an excuse as to why we shouldn’t sign players. 

Which means 2 first team players for each position will ruin the pathway... right? 

You appear to have imagined that I said a 4th central midfielder should be signed.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'd happily lose Bednarek over the summer. We already have a rubbish central defence, so I'd prefer it if we just recruited a crap CB who can pass and doesn't massively hinder our attempts to play out from the back. Obviously a good defender who can do that would be ideal, but tempering expectations.

Just now, verlaine1979 said:

I'd happily lose Bednarek over the summer. We already have a rubbish central defence, so I'd prefer it if we just recruited a crap CB who can pass and doesn't massively hinder our attempts to play out from the back. Obviously a good defender who can do that would be ideal, but tempering expectations.

To be fair, he's improved massively with playing out of defence. He was a big factor in Ings equaliser as he sprayed the ball left to Redmond in the first place.

He's pretty average, but he's probably suited to our level right now more than anyone. He struggled a bit last night I thought with Benteke but I genuinely don't see how we're going to get better than Bendarek, a polish international, with our budget.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Hopefully Smallbone returns from injury.  I can see Jankewitz leaving.

Either way I can’t see our 4th choice CM being anything more than a prospect of some sort. Nobody already decent is going to come to Saints for the sort of cash we’re able to allocate to filling that position.

3 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I'd happily lose Bednarek over the summer.

There were (weak) rumours last summer of Chelsea being interested - which seems hilarious in retrospect.

They must've been impressed with that "interception" stat that so excites people who play football on spreadsheets.

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair, he's improved massively with playing out of defence. He was a big factor in Ings equaliser as he sprayed the ball left to Redmond in the first place.

He's pretty average, but he's probably suited to our level right now more than anyone. He struggled a bit last night I thought with Benteke but I genuinely don't see how we're going to get better than Bendarek, a polish international, with our budget.

That was a good ball, admittedly, but it's more his composure and the speed with which he finds and executes the short pass when we're trying to retain possession and shift the opposition around.

So often you see him get the ball, take an age to turn and look, and then have no choice but to play a hurried ball to one of Vest, KWP or the keeper that invariably puts them under pressure. Salisu looks a lot more confident on the ball, and for that alone I think we'd be a more effective team with him swapped in for Bednarek.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I didn't say that. None of us know if he is good enough, I've said he looks promising from what we've seen at youth level.

Did you bollocks.  You said he was good enough as cover and there were other areas that needed more urgent attention.  Stand up for yourself and your opinions instead of revising them.  I questioned you on how much you had seen and you were pretty much unequivocal that having watched him at youth and U21 level that he was good enough as cover. 

We've scouted this guy apparently  - Jerdy Schouten - CM playing for Bologna - same agent as Elia 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jerdy-schouten/profil/spieler/347900

"At Bologna he is taking over the build-up. I saw a report from our scout in Italy. Well, that was great, ”says Buter, who works as a scout for Southampton, England. “Frenkie has one touch : all people have to take the ball once, look around three times and then play. If you do that right ... In that respect, Jerdy is the same as Frenkie de Jong, only Frenkie does it much faster. People underestimate how fast Frenkie is, he was by far the fastest in Ajax's selection. I think he is also the fastest at Barcelona. I want to compare him to Frenkie, because he also has the insight, the one touch and the technique. But not the speed, it switches just not that fast. That is the difference."

Edited by Convict Colony

47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Either way I can’t see our 4th choice CM being anything more than a prospect of some sort. Nobody already decent is going to come to Saints for the sort of cash we’re able to allocate to filling that position.

Yeah, seems counter-intuitive, but it’s probably going to be a prospect purchased to replace a prospect leaving in Jankewitz.

On 10/05/2021 at 14:49, supersonic said:

Due to speak to a contact this week who'll give me an update, if any, on the Olise interest. I'll post of anything has developed but I know he's in high demand.

Did you get anything?

59 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Did you bollocks.  You said he was good enough as cover and there were other areas that needed more urgent attention.  Stand up for yourself and your opinions instead of revising them.  I questioned you on how much you had seen and you were pretty much unequivocal that having watched him at youth and U21 level that he was good enough as cover. 

Its Like That Twist GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

28 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Did you get anything?

I'm speaking to them tomorrow so I'll update afterwards.

Almost certain he's leaving RFC this summer, only has 1 year left on his contract and with their wagebill they need all the money they can get.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yeah, seems counter-intuitive, but it’s probably going to be a prospect purchased to replace a prospect leaving in Jankewitz.

Surely it’s a combination of Smallbone / Armstrong. Diallo will have a seasons experience too, and Romeu back fit.

Cant see us spending money when we don’t need to, when we have more pressing issues 

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Surely it’s a combination of Smallbone / Armstrong. Diallo will have a seasons experience too, and Romeu back fit.

Cant see us spending money when we don’t need to, when we have more pressing issues 

It's very possible. 

I find it so ridiculously ironic that when we talk about our academy drying up -- We might lose last years academy player of the year.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

We've scouted this guy apparently  - Jerdy Schouten - CM playing for Bologna - same agent as Elia 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jerdy-schouten/profil/spieler/347900

"At Bologna he is taking over the build-up. I saw a report from our scout in Italy. Well, that was great, ”says Buter, who works as a scout for Southampton, England. “Frenkie has one touch : all people have to take the ball once, look around three times and then play. If you do that right ... In that respect, Jerdy is the same as Frenkie de Jong, only Frenkie does it much faster. People underestimate how fast Frenkie is, he was by far the fastest in Ajax's selection. I think he is also the fastest at Barcelona. I want to compare him to Frenkie, because he also has the insight, the one touch and the technique. But not the speed, it switches just not that fast. That is the difference."

Is he this seasons Joey Veerman?

18 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

You Look Thirsty Miss A GIF

Always, my brother.

13 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It's very possible. 

I find it so ridiculously ironic that when we talk about our academy drying up -- We might lose last years academy player of the year.

Being the academy player of the year does not automatically equate to good enough for the first time. You'd hope so but clearly their is some glaring space in the quality spectrum. 

16 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Is he this seasons Joey Veerman?

Always, my brother.

who knows but we've got a better record scouting than the black box - rip #ziyechwatch from FC Twente time in 2015

Apparently Rangers and Atalanta scouting him a lot now - also side note Jerdy Schouten is also being scouted by atalanta so players who would fit our system.

Also random Jankewitz point - he was linked with Groningen in Jan and if he joined them he would be playing with Arjen Robben who came out of retirement this year to play for his home team.

Edited by Convict Colony

12 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

who knows but we've got a better record scouting than the black box - rip #ziyechwatch from FC Twente time in 2015

Apparently Rangers and Atalanta scouting him a lot now - also side note Jerdy Schouten is also being scouted by atalanta so players who would fit our system.

Also random Jankewitz point - he was linked with Groningen in Jan and if he joined them he would be playing with Arjen Robben who came out of retirement this year to play for his home team.

This summer's transfer links need all need to have a double-asterisk attached.

1) Will they cost under £10m?

2) Do they fulfil the Brexit-Transfer malarkey. 

PS - RIP #ZiyechWatch.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

This summer's transfer links need all need to have a double-asterisk attached.

1) Will they cost under £10m?

2) Do they fulfil the Brexit-Transfer malarkey. 

PS - RIP #ZiyechWatch.

It depends on the interpretation of this i think.

Is it a player who was/is a 20/15mil player in the normal climate now worth 10mil cos his club are skint and need money 

Or are we only looking at players who are 10mil under because of the exposure and age etc.

Either way I'm an optimist and we'll get what we need.

8 hours ago, Sideways Jim said:

In id like to see happen. 

Rico Henry

Michael Olise

Connor Gallagher (Loan with option) 

Brandon Williams (Loan with option) 

Would certainly take the first three. 

Not sure how much Henry would go for but I'm assuming that if Brentford don't go up, with two years left on his contract at 23 years old in a COVID world, being the best LB in the Champ it would be £10-15m? 

Olise certainly has a lot of growing to do - a few Reading supporting mates I know say he's a bit full of himself - but he's a talent and he's only got a year left on his contract so they may want to cash in on him rather than letting him go for nothing next summer. 

Gallagher I mentioned on here before. I think he'd fit like a glove in our current system and he's versatile too. We'll have a lot of competition for his signature though but I'm not sure if he'd want to go out on loan again. 

From what I've seen of Williams, he's really struggled in his cameo appearances for United to do the basics at the back. And would he want to move down south for a year to become a back-up full-back? 

Obviously we need depth in some areas, that is absolutely critical - but you could also make a compelling argument that to really improve we need a couple of starting players as well.

Its quite conceivable that in the first game of next season the only new signing in the team could be at LB, where we will do well to find a player as good as a fit and fresh Bertrand.

If as seems likely we are after a LB, LB/RB cover, CM or AM cover and a young striker - its hard to see any of those making a real impact initially aside from the LB who will need to be capable of playing in the PL from day one.

With our constraints the above scenario is realistic, and if those players are good will certainly help, but its not really going to be transformative compared to say what Villa did by signing Watkins, Cash, Barkley (initially anyway) and Martinez which really improved the spine of their team and provided instant results.

Not a criticism of Saints at all, just something to be wary/realistic about.