Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

7 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Southampton are very interested in Thomas Delaney. The English club wants to make a move for the Danish midfielder. A transfer fee would be in the region of 10 million euros.

(🌗) | 🗞 @ESPN 

#BVB

Would we spend that on a 29 year old?

11 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Southampton are very interested in Thomas Delaney. The English club wants to make a move for the Danish midfielder. A transfer fee would be in the region of 10 million euros.

(🌗) | 🗞 @ESPN 

#BVB

Very experienced midfielder still doing the job for Dortmund...would be cheap.

He has been increasingly marginalised at Dortmund over the last few seasons, so a move away would make sense.

His stats for the season from https://www.transfermarkt.com/thomas-delaney/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/91849/wettbewerb/L1/saison/2020: 33 league games: "Squad: 25, Starting eleven: 13, Substituted in: 6, On the bench: 6, Suspended: 1, Injured: 7,"

He is listed as a defensive midfielder but I see him more as a box-to-box midfielder with a decent shot...

Just for fun: 

Seems more like a lazy Saints -> Vestergaard/Hojbjerg -> Danish players link to me. Doesn't really fit our profile for new signings, and we have Romeu (and arguably JWP) for the "experienced" midfielder role.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

No we don't. Players who would improve us are available a lot cheaper than that. Of course the scouting needs to be spot on. I'm sure we are all happy with signing Armstrong for £7m, Romeu for £5m, Bednarek for £5m, Salisu for £11m, Diallo for £12m.

And the only one that's outstanding there is Armstrong,the others are there through at sometime default because there are no other options.But im sure there are some worthy bargains to be had out there, just have to be lucky in finding them,and not busting the sparse budget on a we thought he was the right price superstar buy.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Linked to Lazio keeper:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/18/report-southampton-eyeing-club-record-25m-signing-after-target-rejects-new-contract/

£25m on a keeper would be way out of our range so seems unlikely.

Maybe we are planning to sell 2 of the 3 to pay for him. I know nothing of this player but siging a keeper in this price range would be a very decent sign. 

17 minutes ago, TWar said:

Linked to Lazio keeper:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/18/report-southampton-eyeing-club-record-25m-signing-after-target-rejects-new-contract/

£25m on a keeper would be way out of our range so seems unlikely.

He won't cost anywhere close to that, a second choice keeper with 1 year left on his contract FFS. Whoever suggested £25m is smoking some very strong stuff.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd love for us to spend a small amount every now and then on an experienced player who will do a good job for 3-5 years. We should be doing the same at CB as well.

It will be interesting to see if we do!

39 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd love for us to spend a small amount every now and then on an experienced player who will do a good job for 3-5 years. We should be doing the same at CB as well.

Centre back is possibly the area of the squad we have the best depth. It should be the lowest on the list of priorities. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Centre back is possibly the area of the squad we have the best depth. It should be the lowest on the list of priorities. 

Depth yes, quality no. 

We could and should improve the right side of our CB partnership. 

Edited by SKD

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Stephens and Vestergaard both out of contract next summer, I'd rather sell one and replace now rather than need to replace both next summer with zero funds brought in.

Edited by Saint_clark

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Scott Parker on why he's dropped Andersen: "Just reducing the amount of players who won't be here next season". 

Lemina is starting 👀

haha imagine Lemina in the Championship...he wouldn't like that. Will probably end up at Newcastle or Palace.

20 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

We had about £80m to spend that summer, though.

20 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not even close to that much spent in the summer of 2014.

20 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I didn’t say what we spent. 

2 hours ago, northam soul said:

Ha ha well played sir

Not really, as where have you plucked the '£80m we had to spend' figure from?

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

haha imagine Lemina in the Championship...he wouldn't like that. Will probably end up at Newcastle or Palace.

Or back with us playing out his contract. When asked about him, Hassenhuttel was more or less positive about the season he's had at Fulham and said the usual about us following loan players closely and that the door isn't closed to them.

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Stephens and Vestergaard both out of contract next summer, I'd rather sell one and replace now rather than need to replace both next summer with zero funds brought in.

Don't think Stephens is out of contract next season? Been widely reported he signed a new deal but it was never formally announced 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not really, as where have you plucked the '£80m we had to spend' figure from?

You're right, from Shaw, Lallana, Lambert, Chambers, Cork and Lovren we actually had closer to £100million to spend that season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danbert said:

Or back with us playing out his contract. When asked about him, Hassenhuttel was more or less positive about the season he's had at Fulham and said the usual about us following loan players closely and that the door isn't closed to them.

If we had kept Lemina for the season i can tell you we would be much higher in the table as we could have managed our injury crisis better and resolved our right back issue by playing ward prowse there, without thinking of diminishing our midfield.

• Like 1

British clubs eye Colombian forward

Colombia winger Santiago Moreno is on the radar of Leeds United, Southampton and Rangers.

The 21-year-old’s style has been compared to Sadio Mane and he is expected to adapt to the Premier League, with Rangers able to offer Champions League football.

It's nice of all these linked players to contemplate joining a team that pays them with magic beans, because I very much doubt we have the money to pay for any of them without selling! 😄

I don't mind who we sign as long as the left back is great. A striker than can miraculously come and do a Michu would be nice too, and an AM that can create like Tadic. I also hope I grow wings and fly to the Maldives.

9 hours ago, Sideways Jim said:

I wonder if we have been keeping an eye on Ryan Gauld, would be well within our budget and knows Armstrong well so would bed in quite well

Out of contract in June. Had a strong season in Portugal in a poor team. Competition for his signature will be fierce, though - think I read the other day around 30 clubs have registered an interest.