The Minsk Memorial Thread (and continuation of his work)

Minsk

On 08/12/2021 at 16:35, Minsk said:

Match Day 15

Head-to-Head Comparison

Last season Brighton beat us 2-1 at St. Mary's. Therefore (as painful as it was) Saturday's 1-1 draw gains us a point and +1 GD.

+8 points; +8 GD

Next up, on Match Day 16, is an away trip to Arsenal. Last season we drew 1-1 at The Emirates. We also drew match day 16, 0-0, at home to West Ham. If offered right now I would absolutely take a draw this Saturday. I think that would be a good result given our injuries and suspensions. If we do lose (as most are expecting us to) at least we will only have to wait a few days until the match, where we will have at least a couple well rested players to come back into the fold. Head says 3-0 loss; heart says 1-1 draw.

COYS

So match day 16 will be +7points / +5GD then compared to last season?

Reading the posts on here you'd get the feeling that this is an incredibly poor return by the team - I think some of our fans think that with our budget and overall player quality we should be doing significantly better than this? Another 6 points would see us level with Leicester in 8th and knocking on the doors of europe, yet I get the impression this is the minimum improvement required by those calling for the managers head?

A few weeks ago the fans were happy with Ralph and the team. Since then we've lost to Liverpool away (2nd), Arsenal away (6th - we have never won there in the premier league) and drawn with Leicester / Brighton 🙄 (both good sides and Brighton we really should have won) - and we're still doing better than last season where we finished 15th and comfortably clear of relegation. Think people need to be a bit less reactionary and more realistic about the team. As it is, this place is more up and down than a pair of kangaroos in mating season!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

A few weeks ago the fans were happy with Ralph and the team. 

As it is, this place is more up and down than a pair of kangaroos in mating season!

What a load of old pony. Why do people keep making this shite up, pretending that people are fickle and change their minds at the drop of a hat. 

Pretty much everybody who wants Ralph out has wanted him out for a while now, they certainly weren’t “happy” prior to the Liverpool game. The ones that have come over to the Ralph out camp have been at pains to state it’s not the results at Liverpool or Arsenal, rather the line up, tactics and lack of desire, coupled with the same old same old faults against Norwich & Brighton. 

Up and down suggest people are pro Ralph then anti Ralph, then pro again, depending on results, this just isn’t true. Stop making things up. 

• Like 3

Match Day 16

Match Day Comparison:

Last season match day 16 was a 0-0 draw at home to West Ham. Saturday's 3-0 loss at the Emirates sees us lose 1 point and 3 GD.

-10 points; -16 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we drew 1-1 away to Arsenal, so losses in both methodes again here.

+7 points; +5 GD

Next up, on match day 17 (19.30 Wednesday evening) is a trip to Selhurst Park to face Crystal Palace - a very different outfit to last season's side. Last season we lost 1-0 away to Palace in the first match of the season due an early (13th minute) goal from Zaha. In comparison Match Day 17 saw us hold on (and boy did we have to hold on) to a 1-0 win at home to Liverpool, thanks to a 2nd minute Danny Ings goal. Palace are certainly playing some good football right now and in Gallagher have a player I would have loved us to sign (would take him over Broja). We have huge problems with our 'keepers and strikers. I feel it will take something to get anything from this game, but think we might. I'm going for 1-1.

COYS

• Like 2

On 08/12/2021 at 08:35, Minsk said:

Next up, on Match Day 16, is an away trip to Arsenal. Last season we drew 1-1 at The Emirates. We also drew match day 16, 0-0, at home to West Ham. If offered right now I would absolutely take a draw this Saturday. I think that would be a good result given our injuries and suspensions. If we do lose (as most are expecting us to) at least we will only have to wait a few days until the match, where we will have at least a couple well rested players to come back into the fold. Head says 3-0 loss; heart says 1-1 draw.

COYS

Damn your head!

• Haha 1

On 13/12/2021 at 13:35, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony. Why do people keep making this shite up, pretending that people are fickle and change their minds at the drop of a hat. 

Pretty much everybody who wants Ralph out has wanted him out for a while now, they certainly weren’t “happy” prior to the Liverpool game. The ones that have come over to the Ralph out camp have been at pains to state it’s not the results at Liverpool or Arsenal, rather the line up, tactics and lack of desire, coupled with the same old same old faults against Norwich & Brighton. 

Up and down suggest people are pro Ralph then anti Ralph, then pro again, depending on results, this just isn’t true. Stop making things up. 

There's also people like me who have been broadly supportive of him for ages but are starting to think that we could do with a change following the manner of the defeat in the last game. 

Match Day 17

Match Day Comparison:

Last season match day 17 was our 1-0 victory over Liverpool at St. Mary's. Last night's draw away to Palace sees us drop points and GD.

-12 points; -17 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we lost 1-0 away at Selhurst Park, so last night's 2-2 draw sees an uplift in points and GD here.

+8 points; +6 GD

Yet again the disparity in the two comparison methods has moved further apart. However, I feel (and hope) that we are now at the point where they will start to move closer to one another - obviously by chipping away at the points/GD deficit on the Match Day side of things.

Next up, Boxing Day on Match Day 18, is our away fixture at West Ham. The Irons beat us 3-0 at theirs, in the last match of the 20/21 season; whilst match day 18 saw us fall to a 2-0 defeat away to Leicester. I think we might get a sneaky draw in this one.

COYS

Edited by Minsk
Edited to reflect change of next opponent

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 18

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we lost match day 18 2-0 away to Leicester. This means that yesterday's 3-2 win at West Ham sees gains of 3 in both points and GD.

-9 points; -14 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we lost 3-0 at the taxpayer arena, so gains in both points and GD here too.

+11 points; +10 GD

Next up, tomorrow afternoon on match day 19, is Spurs at home. Last season they beat us 5-2 at St Mary's; whilst match day 19 saw us defeated 3-1 at St Mary's by their North London rivals, Arsenal.

Their 2 week 'covid' break worked out fantastic for Tottenham. During that time Conte has worked on their shape and performances. Add that to the fact they haven't lost in the Premier League since before Halloween (4 wins, 2 draws) and you will see that this will be a tough one for us to win. Personally, I would be very happy with a draw.

COYS

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Minsk said:

Match Day 18

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we lost match day 18 2-0 away to Leicester. This means that yesterday's 3-2 win at West Ham sees gains of 3 in both points and GD.

-9 points; -14 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we lost 3-0 at the taxpayer arena, so gains in both points and GD here too.

+11 points; +10 GD

Next up, tomorrow afternoon on match day 19, is Spurs at home. Last season they beat us 5-2 at St Mary's; whilst match day 19 saw us defeated 3-1 at St Mary's by their North London rivals, Arsenal.

Their 2 week 'covid' break worked out fantastic for Tottenham. During that time Conte has worked on their shape and performances. Add that to the fact they haven't lost in the Premier League since before Halloween (4 wins, 2 draws) and you will see that this will be a tough one for us to win. Personally, I would be very happy with a draw.

COYS

Good stuff Minsk. 

Obviously we're chasing the very good 2020 / awful 2021 aspect. But the evidence is building that the team and Ralph are doing a good job under tough resource limits. Also starting to build a team that will have resale profitability (unlike the likes of carillo, hoedt, boufal etc.) I.e. Kwp, Livramento, salisu etc. Also getting more out of players like moi that some of the negative posters on this forum had certainly written off. 

I say fair play to Ralph. Gets a lot of stick but he's slowly turning the club around. Sad that a lot of our fans don't quite see it really. Sacking him would be a serious gamble and likely poor business in my eyes. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Good stuff Minsk. 

Obviously we're chasing the very good 2020 / awful 2021 aspect. But the evidence is building that the team and Ralph are doing a good job under tough resource limits. Also starting to build a team that will have resale profitability (unlike the likes of carillo, hoedt, boufal etc.) I.e. Kwp, Livramento, salisu etc. Also getting more out of plays like moi that the boo boys on this forum had certainly written off. 

I say fair play to Ralph. Gets a lot of stick but he's slowly turning the club around. Sad that a lot of our fans quite see it really. Sacking him would be a serious gamble and likely poor business in my eyes. 

Fully agree with all your points.

It would be absolute madness to sack Ralph now. I get that he isn't perfect and I question some of his decisions as well as the next man, but he does get us playing some good footy and sets us up well. There is also no guarantee that any replacement would do better. Indeed, there is every likelihood they would be worse.

Looking at the table, if we hadn't stupidly thrown away the win at home to Brighton we would now be level on points with them, Leicester and Villa. We have not been in the bottom 3 all season and, today, are as far from them (in points) as we are from Spurs in 5th. That said, we are where we should be and where I think we belong given our resources.

I don't really want this thread being hijacked by the usual suspects and turned into yet another pro/anti Ralph argument but thought your points deserved a response. I won't respond to any other poster on this subject on this thread. Very happy to have that debate elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 19

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we were beaten 3-1 by Arsenal on match day 19. Therefore, the 1-1 draw with Spurs gives an uplift in both points and GD.

-8 points; -12 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season Spurs defeated us 5-2 at St Mary's, so this season's 1-1 draw is an improvement here too.

+12 points; +13 GD

Next up (in the league) on match day 20 is our rearranged home fixture against Brentford. Last season we lost 0-1 at home to Villa on match day 20. For the purposes of the head-to-head I will use Sheffield Utd. Last season we beat The Blades 3-0 at St. Mary's.

I have been very impressed with Brentford so far this season. They have been playing good, brave, attacking football and are clearly no pushovers. They also currently sit 2 points and 2 places above us in the league. That said, I would hope we have enough about us to take all 3 points from them at St. Mary's next week. I feel a 3-1 win incoming.

COYS

• Like 3

I seem to remember it was this point last year (iirc) that we were on 29 points and Ralph said something along the lines of "it's a good job we have that many" as we had injury problems. We then went on a run of one win in 12 so he was right. Hopefully we don't suffer that dip in form this season. We seem to have better resources and squad depth this season so fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I seem to remember it was this point last year (iirc) that we were on 29 points and Ralph said something along the lines of "it's a good job we have that many" as we had injury problems. We then went on a run of one win in 12 so he was right. Hopefully we don't suffer that dip in form this season. We seem to have better resources and squad depth this season so fingers crossed.

Yep. Spot on. Following our win over Liverpool on 4th Jan, in the league, we had 8 losses and 1 draw before our next victory, away at Sheffield Utd.

As you also rightly say, this season we have a far greater squad depth. That should lead to our Match Day Comparison becoming positives way before the 10th league match from now is played. It would be great if that could happen in the next 5, but they are: Brentford (H); Wolves (A); Man City (h); Spurs (a); Man Utd (A). Can't see us picking up many points in that lot. 5 would be amazing. Our following 2 matches after are home to Everton and Norwich. 2 very winnable games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

Yep. Spot on. Following our win over Liverpool on 4th Jan, in the league, we had 8 losses and 1 draw before our next victory, away at Sheffield Utd.

As you also rightly say, this season we have a far greater squad depth. That should lead to our Match Day Comparison becoming positives way before the 10th league match from now is played. It would be great if that could happen in the next 5, but they are: Brentford (H); Wolves (A); Man City (h); Spurs (a); Man Utd (A). Can't see us picking up many points in that lot. 5 would be amazing. Our following 2 matches after are home to Everton and Norwich. 2 very winnable games.

Hopefully Newcastle (H) will be up soon to boost the points total.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

@Minsk

Minsky give us a wave, Minsky Minsky give us a wave!

👋

Sorry haven't updated yet. Still in hospital. Was trying to put off until I got home. Was told today, now tomorrow, but might be Saturday..... Just hope I get out. Nurse is meant come check my stats and bring me a cuppa soon, so might give it a go before sleeping. Bear with me.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Minsk said:

👋

Sorry haven't updated yet. Still in hospital. Was trying to put off until I got home. Was told today, now tomorrow, but might be Saturday..... Just hope I get out. Nurse is meant come check my stats and bring me a cuppa soon, so might give it a go before sleeping. Bear with me.

Hope you get out soon Minsk and hopefully you're feeling better!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Minsk said:

👋

Oh shit! Sorry to hear this.

Take your time. No rush. Sorry.

• Like 1

Match Day 20

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we lost match day 20 by a goal to nil at home to Villa. Tuesday night's 4-1 win reduces the deficit of points and GD.

-5 points; -8 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

For this comparison I am using Sheffield Utd results from last season, who we beat 3-0 at St Mary's. The 4-1 win over Brentford means no change to either points or GD.

+12 points; +13 GD

Next up on Saturday is an away trip to Wolves. Last season we drew 1-1 there. Match day 21 however was THAT match up at Old Trafford. Don't think I need to mention the score........

Wolves are having a good season to be fair. Certainly doing better than I thought they would before it started. They are also the only team (so far) to have beaten us at St Mary's this season - and that defeat still hurts. We were certainly the better team on the day. Just the one defensive howler, and a good finish from Jiminez. I think Saturday's match will be a close affair. It could go either way. Would certainly be happy with the same 1-1 this time round, while obviously hoping for an away win!

COYS

Now, where is that nurse? And where is my cuppa??

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Hope you get out soon Minsk and hopefully you're feeling better!

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Oh shit! Sorry to hear this.

Take your time. No rush. Sorry.

Thanks.

No worries Ottawa. Sometimes I need a kick up the arse. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Match Day 20

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we lost match day 20 by a goal to nil at home to Villa. Tuesday night's 4-1 win reduces the deficit of points and GD.

-5 points; -8 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

For this comparison I am using Sheffield Utd results from last season, who we beat 3-0 at St Mary's. The 4-1 win over Brentford means no change to either points or GD.

+12 points; +13 GD

Next up on Saturday is an away trip to Wolves. Last season we drew 1-1 there. Match day 21 however was THAT match up at Old Trafford. Don't think I need to mention the score........

Wolves are having a good season to be fair. Certainly doing better than I thought they would before it started. They are also the only team (so far) to have beaten us at St Mary's this season - and that defeat still hurts. We were certainly the better team on the day. Just the one defensive howler, and a good finish from Jiminez. I think Saturday's match will be a close affair. It could go either way. Would certainly be happy with the same 1-1 this time round, while obviously hoping for an away win!

COYS

Now, where is that nurse? And where is my cuppa??

It's all looking really positive to me. Our head to head comparison is very healthy, which is probably pointing to a better season than last season.

The last season comparison is closing up as well, so as long as we have less of a disaster of a 2nd half then we will finish in the 50's points wise in my opinion. Feels a long way off, but if we replicate or even better the first half then we're on for that.

• Like 1

Match Day 21

Match Day Comparison:

This round last season saw a defeat in Manchester to a score that won't be mentioned. On the bright side, Saturday's loss to Wolves gives us a positive swing in GD. No change in points.

-5 points; -1 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Given we drew 1-1 at theirs last season, Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Wolves sees us lose points and GD here.

+11 points; +11 GD

Next up, for Saturday evening's Match Day 22, is a visit by Pep and his Champions. Last season we lost 3-2 away to Newcastle on match day 22; whilst City went away from St Mary's with the spoils having narrowly beaten us 1-0. 

City have won their last 12 league matches on the bounce. The last time they failed to win in the PL was on October 30th which was, bizarrely, a home loss to Palace. Surely that must come to an end somewhen, right? The optimist in me wants to believe that will be tomorrow; the realist tells me to stop dreaming. Dream on Minsk; Dream on!! Come on Saints, at least give us a draw to savour.

COYS

• Like 2

Still more than 2 weeks until our next league match. Thought I would update this now and maybe 'bump' it after the cup match.

Match Day 22

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we lost this match day 3-2 away to Newcastle. Saturday's draw sees improvement in both points and GD.

-4 points; 0 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we lost this fixture 1-0. The 1-1 draw means gains in points and GD here too.

+12 points; +12 GD

Next up on Match Day 23 is an away trip to the North London Yobbos (Wednesday 9th Feb; 7.45; BT Sports). Last season we lost 2-1 away to Spurs. We also lost match day 23 by the same score, at home to Wolves.

Spurs are having a strange season, but are still sat up in 7th. Conte has got them better organised and Kane has remembered how to score again. That said, in all honesty, I really wish we were playing them this week and not in 2 weeks time. No doubt by then Son will be back and they would have signed a player or 2. Not going to call it just yet but, right now, see no reason why we couldn't get something from this one. Just best not to go in with expectation I suppose.

COYS

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Just what I've been waiting for too Sheaf

That corresponding cliff dive, that we hopefully won't be repeating.

Given we had only 9 fit senior players this time last year when we played that game at OT, I'm pretty confident we won't 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Hi guys. Can somebody please take over this thread. Won't be able to do it any more. Enjoy the rest on the season and all seasons to come. It's been fun. All the best Minsk.

SOYS

Hope all is well with you and thanks for all the work you've put into this this season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Hi guys. Can somebody please take over this thread. Won't be able to do it any more. Enjoy the rest on the season and all seasons to come. It's been fun. All the best Minsk.

SOYS

Hope you're ok Minsk.

Appreciate all the work you've put into this thread.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

SOYS

Blimey. I hope is well with you.

Always enjoy your posts and this thread in particular is a highlight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

SOYS

Minsk, sorry to see you stand down on this. I've been looking forward to the comparison posts - especially more recently as we have started to pick up wins this season. 

All the best to you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Minsk said:

SOYS

I'm not liking the sound of that @MinskWhatever you are facing I wish you all the luck in the world.  Thanks for this thread (which I've really enjoyed) and also for being a reasonable, fair, progressive voice here.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Terminal disease mate. Feels like reaching endgame. No more power. Apologies to all I upset on here. Saints fan forever. x

Absolutely none required Minsk.  If all views were the same, this would be a really boring board.  Your contributions have enriched all of our experiences here, for that I thank you.  I wish you all the best. 

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Terminal disease mate. Feels like reaching endgame. No more power. Apologies to all I upset on here. Saints fan forever. x

I'm so, so sorry. It's hard to know what to say, but from your side there are certainly no apologies required.

I wish you all the very best and my thoughts are with you.

• Like 11

• Lighthouse changed the title to The Minsk Memorial Thread (and continuation of his work)
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic