The Minsk Memorial Thread (and continuation of his work)

Minsk

On 01/02/2022 at 19:12, Minsk said:

Terminal disease mate. Feels like reaching endgame. No more power. Apologies to all I upset on here. Saints fan forever. x

Hi Minsk. I have just caught up with this thread and am so sorry to hear your desperately sad news. With deepest sympathy to you, your family and loved ones.   Saints fan forever x 

Edit

i read this thread disjointedly and hadn’t realised that Minsk had sadly passed by the time I had posted this. If his daughter is still reading this, deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss. As many have said, Minsk was one of the posters who gave this forum a proper value and he and his contributions will be sadly missed. RIP Minsk.

Edited by sadoldgit
Update
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2022 at 09:46, Minsk said:

Not to dampen the mood for everyone but I thought that you all would want to know. Minsk passed away on the 8th. I'm sure that he watched the game from where ever he is right now. Hope we do well this season. - Minsk's daughter

Ohhhhh when Saints, goes marching in,

ohhhh when Minsk, goes marching in,

Minsk will be in that number

When the Saints and Minsk go marching in!!!!!!

RIP Minsk, may you get a Saints box seat in heaven. 

• Like 6

Very sad to hear this.

I never wear football tops, I’m too fat and old, although running the line today for my lads friendly match here in Perth I wore the saints top that my mrs bought me for my birthday last year that didn’t quite fit properly (should have got X-Large) .  I wore it 10% cos I am pretty chuffed with saints last few matches but 90% for Minsk. Wouldn’t know the guy from a bar of soap,  but really enjoyed his posts and thought he was a good lad, so very very sad to hear this. Hope he enjoyed seeing me from above, struggle today in the heat showing off my gut trying to run that line. Rip lad……

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

RIP to Minsk and condolences to his family. Sorry to hear he didn’t make the Spurs game but he leaves us with a recent upturn in form, and the takeover, and he can watch over us with, hopefully, a long term smile on his face. 

• Like 5

RIP Minsk. Given the nature of the fixture list at the beginning of the season, we had a difficult start, spawning some negativity. Your thread provided some context to the results and brought along some positivity and belief that the situation wasn't as bad as it appeared.

Thank you, true Saint.

• Like 11

Sending my condolences to family Minsk. As others have noted, Minsk' contributions from way back were always of great value and I especially enjoyed the comparison threads which added a great deal of solace for when things looked bleak on the pitch. 

Rest now Minsk - Once a Saint - Always a Saint.  

• Like 3

On 10/02/2022 at 18:31, the boy from saints said:

So here's my attempt to carry on Minsk's great work. It won't be as good but I'd enjoy seeing the scores move each game, so I hope you do as well!

Match Day 23

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we lost at home to Wolves (2-1). So last night's stunning result almost brings us down to 0. Win on Saturday and we would have officially turned the comparative corner.

-1 points; +1 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we lost this fixture 2-1, so the win increases our points and GD here too.

+15 points; +13 GD

Next up on Match Day 24 is an away trip to Old Trafford (Saturday 12.30 KO on BT Sports). Last season's Head to Head was the infamous, second 9-0 and in the Match Day Comparison we achieved a creditable home draw against Chelsea.

I read an article that rated our remaining games as second easiest (with Brighton the most easy) so you'd expect our points difference in both categories to carry on improving!

COYRs!

How is the update research/calculation going please TBFS?

Gotta be +16pts on head-to-head?  Insane!!

• Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 13:50, Tony F said:

How is the update research/calculation going please TBFS?

Gotta be +16pts on head-to-head?  Insane!!

I'm also more than happy to chip in where I can to continue Minsk's work and in his honour, so here goes:

Match Day 24 - Manchester United 1-1 Saints

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we drew 1-1 at home to Chelsea, if anyone remembers included Minamino's wonderful strike. Therefore, as a result we've not made any gains as we have matched that result for match no. 24.

-1 points; +1 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we don't need to go there, but we can add the amount we lost by to the running GD right? 

+16 points; +22 GD

Next up on Match Day 25 is a home trip to Everton at home. Last season, our 25th matchday we lost 3-0 away to Leeds (I recall us scoring a FK at the end of the half but referee blowing the whistle early), so anything here is an improvement match-day wise. 

Last season's Head to Head was a decent 2-0 win at home to Everton, so should we win Saturday then we won't make up any ground on the head-to-head.

Edited by nta786
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, nta786 said:

I'm also more than happy to chip in where I can to continue Minsk's work and in his honour, so here goes:

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we drew 1-1 at home to Chelsea, if anyone remembers included Minamino's wonderful strike. Therefore, as a result we've not made any gains as we have matched that result for match no. 24.

-1 points; +1 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

Last season we don't need to go there, but we can add the amount we lost by to the running GD right? 

+16 points; +22 GD

Next up on Match Day 25 is a home trip to Everton at home. Last season, our 25th matchday we lost 3-0 away to Leeds (I recall us scoring a FK at the end of the half but referee blowing the whistle early), so anything here is an improvement match-day wise. 

Last season's Head to Head was a decent 2-0 win at home to Everton, so should we win Saturday then we won't make up any ground on the head-to-head.

Cheers NTA! Had a particularly bad hangover Sunday and Monday was very hectic!

On 12/02/2022 at 13:46, Minsk said:

Not to dampen the mood for everyone but I thought that you all would want to know. Minsk passed away on the 8th. I'm sure that he watched the game from where ever he is right now. Hope we do well this season. - Minsk's daughter

Thanks for letting us know and I/we wish you all the best. We'll all miss Minsk here and my/our thoughts are with you all!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nta786 said:

Match Day Comparison:

-1 points; +1 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

+16 points; +22 GD

My calculation for the GD difference against last season is +2, on the basis of it being -9 last year, vs -7 today (which would result in +22 on the H2H). I would appreciate a sanity check though.

4 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

My calculation for the GD difference against last season is +2, on the basis of it being -9 last year, vs -7 today (which would result in +22 on the H2H). I would appreciate a sanity check though.

Match day comparison would be +2, I agree.

• Like 1

Match Day 25 - Saints 2 - Everton 0

What a great result!

Match Day Comparison:

Last season we lost 3-0 to Leeds at Elland Road,  We have now officially reached the point where we have turned the corner compared to last year!

+2 points; +7 GD

Head-to-Head Comparison:

The score was exactly the same -  2-0 on the 25th Oct as part of our table topping (post Spurs - high line disaster) run. No change then on the H2H.

+16 points; +23 GD

Next up on Match Day 26 is a Friday night home 'banker' against Norwich, who Minsk substituted by Fulham for the H2H comparison. Last season, we beat Fulham at home 3-1, so we'll want to equal that to maintain our great H2H comparison with last year. 

Last season's Matchday 26 was a predicted 1-0 loss at Goodison (the place we never seem to be able to win at), so should we win on Friday then we will further improve the Match Day Comparison.

I've set up a spreadsheet now and gone through all the previous Minsk posts to ensure I'm keeping to the same methodology and it all adds up and makes sense now - so should be OK going forward - for this season at least!

• Like 29

6 hours ago, saintadjg said:

That's a great improvement on the Head to Head

Don't think it will continue though. 

I have looked at the remaining fixtures, and if we match last seasons results, it will give us 9 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats, putting us on 60 points! That is title winning form ! 

1 minute ago, redkeith said:

I have looked at the remaining fixtures, and if we match last seasons results, it will give us 9 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats, putting us on 60 points! That is title winning form ! 

We've been in title winning form (or thereabouts) under Ralph before, so let's do it again :)

Edited by trousers

3 minutes ago, redkeith said:

If we are ahead of last season on H2H, why shouldn't it continue ?

37 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If we are ahead of last season on H2H, why shouldn't it continue ?

Because the results are disproportionately skewed in terms of good and bad last season. If our remaining 13 fixtures were indicative of our average form from last season, we’d have finished comfortably second on 82 points.

I think if the comparison drops from +16 to around +10 and we end on 53 points, that’ll be decent. Still a challenging 21 point target from 13 games.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 21:41, the boy from saints said:

I’ve set up a spreadsheet now and gone through all the previous Minsk posts to ensure I'm keeping to the same methodology and it all adds up and makes sense now - so should be OK going forward - for this season at least!

Thanks and congrats for that TBFS.

Minsk was amazing doing it “the long way”..... but it’s a job crying out to be digitised!

4 hours ago, redkeith said:

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Because the results are disproportionately skewed in terms of good and bad last season. If our remaining 13 fixtures were indicative of our average form from last season, we’d have finished comfortably second on 82 points.

I think if the comparison drops from +16 to around +10 and we end on 53 points, that’ll be decent. Still a challenging 21 point target from 13 games.

You're both right that matching last seasons results in our remaining games would be an exceptional run of form and maintaining that level of consistency is unlikely.  

However, Looking at it a slightly different way, of the six teams we have played twice, five of them are currently 1st, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th in the league (Everton being the outlier in 16th).  Of our remaining 13 games, 9 are against sides currently below us and 3 of the 4 against teams above us are at home so there are a lot of winnable games, especially the way we are currently playing.    

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, saintsdan said:

You're both right that matching last seasons results in our remaining games would be an exceptional run of form and maintaining that level of consistency is unlikely.  

However, Looking at it a slightly different way, of the six teams we have played twice, five of them are currently 1st, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th in the league (Everton being the outlier in 16th).  Of our remaining 13 games, 9 are against sides currently below us and 3 of the 4 against teams above us are at home so there are a lot of winnable games, especially the way we are currently playing.    

Oh no! You're not catching me out with your....optimism. No sir! I shall continue to expect nothing, and be delighted with our performances.