Nigel Adkins

CAH61

6 hours ago, John B said:

Yes we did feel for him but it was the right decision he was never going to succeed as Manager in the PL

All the positivity is based on emotion not reality in my opinion

Isn't football about emotion and passion?

I think you're in the minority here mate.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, maysie said:

Isn't football about emotion and passion?

I think you're in the minority here mate.

Yes I realise that but having followed Saints for 60 years I do not think he was particularly special he did a good job but had more financial support behind him than at any other time in those 60 years.

Getting to the Top flight in 1966 and 1978 felt so different 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I recall seeing emotion and passion at a football match once, it made me physically sick.

It was the last game at The Dell, a place where I went with my father as a nipper.

The game was drifting away but a Saints legend popped up and scored an incredible winner.

Some people ran on the pitch at the end and seemed excited, even emotional you could say, but that was silly, because emotion is a weakness.

I didn't even clap, I just stared, all blank and distant.

And if we score tomorrow I shall probably boo, in case strangers think I care about the event I've paid to attend.

• Haha 4

Bloke is an absolute legend - I’d love to meet him and thank him for helping create some of my greatest memories of watching Saints in recent years.

He got us out of League 1 automatically without a full season in charge, and we got out of the Championship at the first attempt without dropping out of the top 2 for an entire season. The 5 year plan was completed in 3 season.

Yes he may have had some decent players at his disposal but that doesn’t guarantee success, look at what Tuchel achieved with Lampards squad for example.

Sometimes the right manager joins the right team at the right time and it works perfectly. It’s a shame for Nigel it’s not worked out since.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Bloke is an absolute legend - I’d love to meet him and thank him for helping create some of my greatest memories of watching Saints in recent years.

He got us out of League 1 automatically without a full season in charge, and we got out of the Championship at the first attempt without dropping out of the top 2 for an entire season. The 5 year plan was completed in 3 season.

Yes he may have had some decent players at his disposal but that doesn’t guarantee success, look at what Tuchel achieved with Lampards squad for example.

Sometimes the right manager joins the right team at the right time and it works perfectly. It’s a shame for Nigel it’s not worked out since.

Have to say my best moment "recently" was the final game against Coventry in the Championship where a win would get us promoted and having flown in for the game, it was just magical. Fair few beers before and during the game, fantastic atmosphere and pitch celebrations, although I seem to remember Adkins giving more than a hint that in effect he had done his job (sooner than expected) and would not be around for much longer in the aftermath- discussed it with mates after but more beers and it all got a bit foggy 🙂 

I think (don't know for sure and certainly have no proof) he was told your mission is to get us to the PL should you wish to accept it and then we part companies - no doubt he was on a generous bonus

• Like 5

To have an opportunity to follow us between 2010 and 2013..... That will not be repeated. Nigel Adkins has given us the most incredible memories. 

Echoing Red above, that Coventry game. Having commuted from that City for my season ticket for so long, it meant so much personally. 

Couldn't care less for the revisionist hindsight on what we could have done. We DID get back to back promotions from League 1 to the Premier League. Nigel Adkins made that happen, with a smile a candid interview and a determination to keep on 'chipping away.'

Love the guy.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Colinjb said:

To have an opportunity to follow us between 2010 and 2013..... That will not be repeated. Nigel Adkins has given us the most incredible memories. 

Echoing Red above, that Coventry game. Having commuted from that City for my season ticket for so long, it meant so much personally. 

Could care less for the revisionist hindsight on what we could have done. We DID get back to back promotions from League 1 to the Premier League. Nigel Adkins made that happen, with a smile a candid interview and a determination to keep on 'chipping away.'

Love the guy.

Remember that day too. WGS walked around the pitch with  Robbie Savage to get to the temporary studio in the Kingsland hosted by Gaby Logan and received a standing ovation from the fans. I do no think Savage could believe it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John B said:

Yes I realise that but having followed Saints for 60 years I do not think he was particularly special he did a good job but had more financial support behind him than at any other time in those 60 years.

Getting to the Top flight in 1966 and 1978 felt so different 

I agree, I never quite felt the same about him than the majority. Personally he should have won the League 1 and the Championship.

2 hours ago, rooney said:

Remember that day too. WGS walked around the pitch with  Robbie Savage to get to the temporary studio in the Kingsland hosted by Gaby Logan and received a standing ovation from the fans. I do no think Savage could believe it. 

As they walked past the Chapel everyone twigged on who was walking round - everyone in the stand stood and applauded - Robbie Savage suddenly slowed his walk dropping off the group like you say he was taken aback and didn’t want steal any part of the moment and the appreciation for Gordon. 

50 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

If you want that sign older experienced players who'll be more consistent and then fail miserably in the premier league. 

Not many teams have come up playing the football we did. 

I know it is heresy but I do not have the same worship or opinion of him. I believe at the time the hierarchy (NC) thought he should have won the titles as well. Hence his soon departure in the PL.

Im not saying he was a poor manager for us, but his record since has not been impressive either.

So having come straight up from League One, which is a bastard to get out of first time, even with money, as demonstrated by several clubs recently, anything less than winning the division above at a first attempt was a failure?

With all due respect, I think I'll stick with my personal view that back-to-back promotions straight into the Premier League was a fucking good effort - nobody has achieved that since, and it may be a very long time before anyone does it again.

• Like 8

On 22/10/2021 at 12:41, Turkish said:

True. That was properly embarrassing

Crying after beating Liverpool ?.  Personally I thought it showed the passion that some managers have for the game.

After endless (negative) comparisons with Klopp, then seeing his side beat a multi-hundred £million side , I think Ralph 

was entitled to show some emotion.  I   wonder what Klopp felt after seeing his side beaten buy.... Southampton ?

I've noted that in the last few seasons, some " top" managers give a sigh of relief when departing SMS with all the points.

Mourinho was always relieved  to get points off us and frequently complimented Saints' display - even if he did get lucky.

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I know it is heresy but I do not have the same worship or opinion of him. I believe at the time the hierarchy (NC) thought he should have won the titles as well. Hence his soon departure in the PL.

Im not saying he was a poor manager for us, but his record since has not been impressive either.

What has his record since he left us got to do with anything? Why bring that up?  ''Oh, he's failed in recent years - see, he wasn't any good really' - He was actually one of our most successful managers, that's all that matters isn't it?

I appreciate some of the longer-serving fans will have experienced success in prior years, through the 60's, 70's, 80's etc, but for us 'young'un's' the years under Adkins were as good as it's ever been in terms of the atmosphere, the records being broken, the confidence from the fan base, the connection with the entire squad. I'm sure when I'm old enough to reminisce with my grandkids that era will always be high up on any story's I re-tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

So having come straight up from League One, which is a bastard to get out of first time, even with money, as demonstrated by several clubs recently, anything less than winning the division above at a first attempt was a failure?

With all due respect, I think I'll stick with my personal view that back-to-back promotions straight into the Premier League was a fucking good effort - nobody has achieved that since, and it may be a very long time before anyone does it again.

Did I say it wasnt a good effort? I believe he had good opportunity to win both titles and the old First Division trophy (now given to Championship winners) something that from a young child wished it could have our name engraved on it, was not to be but should have. It is not the trophy to the younger generations mindset that seems important but watching the great Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Forest teams lift that trophy was the holy grail. Yes it was at tht time the premier trophy but it would still be wonderful to see our own club captain lift it. 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What has his record since he left us got to do with anything? Why bring that up?  ''Oh, he's failed in recent years - see, he wasn't any good really' - He was actually one of our most successful managers, that's all that matters isn't it?

I appreciate some of the longer-serving fans will have experienced success in prior years, through the 60's, 70's, 80's etc, but for us 'young'un's' the years under Adkins were as good as it's ever been in terms of the atmosphere, the records being broken, the confidence from the fan base, the connection with the entire squad. I'm sure when I'm old enough to reminisce with my grandkids that era will always be high up on any story's I re-tell.

That is it, you hadnt seen the other times (most of them crap) and so Adkins success is rightly seen as a massive achievement, I personally dont get the same warmth, but I dont resent people who do worship him.

As for his record since is relevant as it may point that he isnt that good but had a purple patch with us, with hungry players playing below their standard

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Some of the team football and entertainment from that team was as good as it had been since the Lawrie Mac era and the feel good factor was the same. I bet these people that are now saying that we should've done better were on the pitch celebrating after the Walsall and Coventry games.

Nigel was given a five year plan to get us into the PL and he did it in less than two, how the hell is that underachieving? All a manager can do is try to win as many games as possible and he did it better than any other post war Saints manager and the exciting and entertainment was a huge bonus, we certainly got our money's worth. 

• Like 3

I’m as frustrated as anyone with our lack of silverware. Let’s be clear - in my lifetime supporting Saints we’ve won nothing of note - and (sadly) we’re talking 40 years. But Adkins job wasn’t to win trophies - his job was to get us to the Prem, which he did in 2 years, he was a huge success. I’m more annoyed with Poch for throwing away some great chances in the cups with an unbelievable team.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hodgey said:

I’m as frustrated as anyone with our lack of silverware. Let’s be clear - in my lifetime supporting Saints we’ve won nothing of note - and (sadly) we’re talking 40 years. But Adkins job wasn’t to win trophies - his job was to get us to the Prem, which he did in 2 years, he was a huge success. I’m more annoyed with Poch for throwing away some great chances in the cups with an unbelievable team.

So FA Cup doesn’t count ? I would like Saints to be near the top of the prem very year , cups like exams don’t mean anything once you get them so silverware is not the best test of success.

I think he’d be brilliant running our academy at some point. Certainly an upgrade on the current set up. 

always though he was tactically pretty sound and had the ability to change throughout the match. He had some decent players but back to back promotions and the pressure on him to achieve that will always make him one of my favourite saints managers.

• Like 1

I think he’d be great managing the U23s/B-team. We’re clearly struggling there and I’m sure he’d build confidence and help young players develop.

I assume he wouldn’t have much say on tactics due to Ralph’s Playbook, but I think his main skill is motivation, team-building and development anyway - so could be a perfect fit.

I’m not sure if he’d be interested, but I think it could certainly be argued that a Premier League U23 manager in a team prioritising youth pathways to the first team is equivalent status to a League One manager.

9 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Crying after beating Liverpool ?.  Personally I thought it showed the passion that some managers have for the game.

After endless (negative) comparisons with Klopp, then seeing his side beat a multi-hundred £million side , I think Ralph 

was entitled to show some emotion.  I   wonder what Klopp felt after seeing his side beaten buy.... Southampton ?

Well seeing as Burnley & Brighton also beat them around  the same time, I doubt Klopp felt particularly good. By the way, Dyche & Potter didn’t start blubbing either.  

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

So FA Cup doesn’t count ? I would like Saints to be near the top of the prem very year , cups like exams don’t mean anything once you get them so silverware is not the best test of success.

He said in "his lifetime supporting Saints" so lets say no it doesn't count. My lifetime also, won nothing (apart from the JPT). And trust me, I ain't young.

Edited by CB Fry

Yep EKS - I would have loved to see us lift the cup but I’m not that old (but old enough) - but to answer perhaps your question I want to see us win something (either cup), appreciate those who put a higher price on top 8 prem finishes etc but I just want to see us win something - for me that is what sport is ultimately all about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Yep EKS - I would have loved to see us lift the cup but I’m not that old (but old enough) - but to answer perhaps your question I want to see us win something (either cup), appreciate those who put a higher price on top 8 prem finishes etc but I just want to see us win something - for me that is what sport is ultimately all about.

I remember it well ! I think I managed to watch the final live and then another 2 times that weekend having taped it . I feel the FA Cup had more status back then , I remember ManU withdrawing from the FA Cup as they were in the world club comp and were holders of the FA Cup at the time. On reflection it would be good to do it again 🙂

On 21/10/2021 at 20:25, Turkish said:

Yeah the lads I was going with at the time all agreed it’d be a good test for us as at the time I think Leeds were a side we thought would be in and around the play offs. We murdered them that day. Funnily enough a couple of games into the season a Burnley supporting mate of mine said he thought we’d go up too which I disagreed. First half of that season we played some brilliant stuff, regularly scoring 3 or 4 and playing teams off the pitch. The most annoying thing was I was working in reading at the time and suddenly by March there were apparently dozens of reading fans in the office that I’d not heard a peep out of the rest of the time I worked there all giving it large. They soon disappeared the following season. 

As a local resident I well remember the sudden surge in Reading fans, particularly noticeable in kids in school. I was working in Bracknell where Most of them were Chelsea fans one day and Reading the next. Last couple of seasons seen a surge in Brentford watchers.

3 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I remember it well ! I think I managed to watch the final live and then another 2 times that weekend having taped it . I feel the FA Cup had more status back then , I remember ManU withdrawing from the FA Cup as they were in the world club comp and were holders of the FA Cup at the time. On reflection it would be good to do it again 🙂

Pretty sure home video recorders weren’t around in 1976

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Correct. Are we sure this was a home recorder?

Home recorders were around in 1976 but they were phenomenally expensive - over £1,000. That was when £1,000 would buy you a decent secondhand car. Alex Stepney, the United keeper said he had recorded the game and watched it back to prove Stokes was offside. Which of course was not true as Buchan played him on

I admit that my memory may be hazy ! We were at my parents on a visit so it could have been watching live , highlights in the evening and then replay/highlights on Sunday ! So 3 times but maybe no Betamax or VHS involved . There was a lot more to the game than Stokes goal and we did get engaged in the general euphoria ha ha (too much information)

19 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Home recorders were around in 1976 but they were phenomenally expensive - over £1,000. That was when £1,000 would buy you a decent secondhand car. Alex Stepney, the United keeper said he had recorded the game and watched it back to prove Stokes was offside. Which of course was not true as Buchan played him on

2BC0C88F-CB39-453E-A201-DA47F9637916.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

At that time I was working in TV research at the IBA. By 1982 I was self employed and had to fly to Canada to finalise a satellite TV broadcasting encryption unit that I had designed but it meant that I had to miss the World Cup that year so I splashed out on an Akai VHS home recorder. I think it cost around £400.