Walcott/Djenepo

spyinthesky

Djenepo last week, although he helped with the goal and Theo this week (my rating 3/10).

Both well off the pace and really dont deserve their place on recent displays, especially Theo.

Shame as I want them to both do well but there are others who should be well above them in the pecking order

Thought Djenepo was ok last week. Not sure why he didn't play. Think he would have shut down their first goal as he's better defensively than Elyounessi and would have closed down lowton.

Walcott's the odd one. How he manages to leapfrog everyone to either come on or start, despite doing very little this season so far. That shank of his today was awful and that was one of the few moments he was actually in the game.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Djenepo does have some positives about his game but Walcott is horrific. 

Seems like he’s been given a 2 year contract on 70k a week because he used to play for us and is ‘good around the dressing room’ as ability wise, he’s League One level. 

Perhaps he should stay around the dressing room.

• Like 1

I’d have rather have seen Djenepo come on late today and try unlocking a stubborn Burnley defence than Adam Armstrong which was as pointless a sub as the Che Adams one.

Don't understand why we bothered giving Theo a proper contract. The stupidest waste of money since we gave Shane Long an extension.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Still like to know the truth about what we are paying Theo per week. 

I think I read in the Athletic that he was on £150k a week at Everton, and he agreed to stay with us for £75k.

Whoever sanctioned that if true needs their head checking, I don't think any other club would have offered that.

I guess from Saints point of view though, a 2 year contract at £75k a week is roughly a total outlay of £7.8m.

Could we find someone better than Walcott for that sort of fee? (and that is without factoring in the wages!) 

However, that is still no excuse for Ralph not to sub him off slightly earlier when he was having a below par game

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I think I read in the Athletic that he was on £150k a week at Everton, and he agreed to stay with us for £75k.

Whoever sanctioned that if true needs their head checking, I don't think any other club would have offered that.

I guess from Saints point of view though, a 2 year contract at £75k a week is roughly a total outlay of £7.8m.

Could we find someone better than Walcott for that sort of fee? (and that is without factoring in the wages!) 

However, that is still no excuse for Ralph not to sub him off slightly earlier when he was having a below par game

You'd have got Damari Gray or Townsend for nominal/no fee's, and significantly lower wages too. Wouldn't have shed a tear if we let Theo go back to Everton and we'd brought in Townsend on a freebie, or Gray for £1m.

But the club didn't want to lose the PR opportunity I don't think.

• Like 1

To sign Theo on a permanent deal, is up there as being as bad as giving Long a new deal. 

To make things worse, we had a try before you buy, so we knew he was shit. 

Just to think, between him, long and Fraser we have about 150k a week on the books doing nothing but getting in the way (although unfair on Fraser, I think he should be starting). 

• 4 weeks later...

Madness to sign Walcott. He was bad on loan last year, but hey lets sign him up. We're paying him sky high wages and he's a shadow of the player he used to be , the play dies at his feet every single time, Can't pass, can't shoot and can't even use his pace like he used to.  Dreadful, Dreadful player. 

• Like 6

I don't get the Walcott signing at all. He was always known as a pace player with average finishing at his absolute peak. Without his pace he offers nothing at all. Was he brought in for dressing room vibes?

Edited by Scully

23 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Need to get shot of both of them.

Djenepo still has something to offer, even if it's only his defensive work.

Walcott though - he's done. Finished. A total waste of a substitution. I never want to see him in a Saints shirt ever again. That cameo from him today was worse than bad, it was embarrassing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Djenepo still has something to offer, even if it's only his defensive work.

Walcott though - he's done. Finished. A total waste of a substitution. I never want to see him in a Saints shirt ever again. That cameo from him today was worse than bad, it was embarrassing.

Surely  you know Ralph will pick him again 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I don't get the Walcott signing at all. He was always known as a pace player with average finishing at his absolute peak. Without his pace he offers nothing at all. Was he brought in for dressing room vibes?

And yet Ralph thinks he has something to offer or he thinks the other options are worse ?