Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I would have thought feeding him into the team gradually would be the better way of managing his progress, not a full debut in an FA cup game against a robust championship side, more so when you consider the weakened team fielded yesterday. 

I think that's the biggest issue. Giving Small a chance in yesterday's game wasn't necessarily wrong, but doing it in such a weakened side (and defence in particular) from the normal 1st team certainly wouldn't have helped him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Red said:

This place is all about opinions so fair do's you're perfectly entitled to yours's. Mine is there is no coincidence between big club (manager and players) "screaming blue murder" and getting the "right decision".  VAR is in use today with the Liverpool game - did not even refer two contentious decisions, never mind the outcome.

Regardless of the outcome - I want our players to at least seem as they care and "die for the cause".

A player 5 yards offside and clearly touching the ball is not going to be missed by VAR. 

Our keeper shouting at the referee's assistant made no difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I couldn't make out if it was in use or not. Didn't have any of the usual signposting to say a review was in progress. Although I appreciate there may not have been a whole load of contentious incidents 

It was available but not needed. Its presence delayed the offside decision slightly.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

A player 5 yards offside and clearly touching the ball is not going to be missed by VAR. 

You're missing the point Red is saying. 

Fair enough VAR would of ruled it out but Red was commenting on the reaction from Caballero, which as a squad we tend to lack so that was good to see

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

Fair enough VAR would of ruled it out but Red was commenting on the reaction from Caballero, which as a squad we tend to lack so that was good to see

Arguing with and confronting officials is not a good thing and not something to be applauded.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

Exactly my point - thank you. I am ignoring MLG's  response to yours as there is no point in arguing for the sake of it.

It's a bit like saying there's no point in diving, but when you lose out so much eventually you have "to join the club" to even out the odds even if you (and certainly I do) disagree with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Pete said:

I think that's the biggest issue. Giving Small a chance in yesterday's game wasn't necessarily wrong, but doing it in such a weakened side (and defence in particular) from the normal 1st team certainly wouldn't have helped him.

We were only playing against Coventry not a PL team when your comment may be more relevant

51 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Arguing with and confronting officials is not a good thing and not something to be applauded.

While I agree it shouldn't go on in what is supposed to be a civilised sport, the point is it does and it works. You only have to look at how the Man City players surrounding the ref pressured him into overturning the penalty decision he gave in our favour up there a few months ago. No way he would have done that if they had all stood around politely and just accepted his original decision.

Until such time as the FA/PL clamp down on it and direct refs to start giving cards to players who do it, we should absolutely keep doing it if it gives us an advantage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

While I agree it shouldn't go on in what is supposed to be a civilised sport, the point is it does and it works. You only have to look at how the Man City players surrounding the ref pressured him into overturning the penalty decision he gave in our favour up there a few months ago. No way he would have done that if they had all stood around politely and just accepted his original decision.

Until such time as the FA/PL clamp down on it and direct refs to start giving cards to players who do it, we should absolutely keep doing it if it gives us an advantage.

Just because something works and others do it... doesn't mean you should do it. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

In the VAR age, dispute everything! It makes a massive difference.

I'm tired of us being polite, lets ask some questions of the officials. 

I don't rate him as a player but Jack Stephens is the only one we have that is regularly in the referees ear. I do like his passion and it's what the fans want to see. Quite the opposite to Walcott who seems to shirk any responsibility and can't wait to get off the pitch at the end etc etc 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Just because something works and others do it... doesn't mean you should do it. 

If the FA really didn't want players to do it then they would change the rules to make it a cardable offence like it is in Rugby.

The fact that they don't do that means it is allowed. Therefore, we absolutely should do it if we disadvantage ourselves by not doing it.

• Like 2

I ran out of posts during the game yesterday, but hot damn what a hit by Armstrong. We could really use him back at his best for the rest of this season and that will give him confidence.

Cool finish by Gyokeres. Had a quick look up at him, 23, Swedish International, tall and has good feet and seemingly can score goals. Previously on the books at Brighton.  Maybe worth a punt as we seem to like Championship strikers?

Oh and I didn't see the game as my stream gave up, but that's twice Valery has been in a 3 at the back that had to switch to a 2 CB with him as one of them. And he didn't concede after that. So well done him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If the FA really didn't want players to do it then they would change the rules to make it a cardable offence like it is in Rugby.

The fact that they don't do that means it is allowed. Therefore, we absolutely should do it if we disadvantage ourselves by not doing it.

You are wrong, as it is already in the rules and has been since 2016!

It is just inconsistently applied...

https://www.premierleague.com/news/65240

Yellow cards will be issued to players who:

- Show visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official

- Respond aggressively to decisions

- Confront an official face to face

- Run towards an official to contest a decision

Edited by Matthew Le God

Wanted to chip in now the dust has settled.

I don’t get the Ralph has to shoulder blame for the weak side nonsense. He did, he put on Redmond and changed shape when Lyanco got injured, if that’s not owning the mistake of the starting set up then what is? It also flies in the face of those who questions his ability to react to situations. He did and we won. 

Seeing the way lots of premier league sides have struggled we’ve done well to come out in the next round having rested some players. It wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t Leicester or United! Even Liverpool we’re labored for long periods against a well drilled Cardiff this weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

Wanted to chip in now the dust has settled.

I don’t get the Ralph has to shoulder blame for the weak side nonsense. He did, he put on Redmond and changed shape when Lyanco got injured, if that’s not owning the mistake of the starting set up then what is?

You seem to be saying that Ralph shouldn’t take blame for picking the side he did, despite also saying that Ralph realised he made a mistake with the team he picked then changed it quickly?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

You seem to be saying that Ralph shouldn’t take blame for picking the side he did, despite also saying that Ralph realised he made a mistake with the team he picked then changed it quickly?

Originally I thought the starting XI was pants 

However on reflection I think Ralph's plan worked reasonably well although playing extra time was not ideal

He wanted a second strength team to win the game giving fringe players a run out in order to save the experience players for Wednesday

If things went wrong which they did he could bring on 5 subs in order to win the game which he did

Romeu Salisu Bednerak Perraud Elyounoussi Adams played 3 minutes in total

S Armstong KWP played 75 mins Broja  56 mins Redmond 86 mins JWP 120 mins 

So the team that plays on Wednesday is relatively fresh

• Like 1

Just now, John B said:

He wanted a second strength team to win the game giving fringe players a run out in order to save the experience players for Wednesday

If things went wrong which they did he could bring on 5 subs in order to win the game which he did.

Yeah I get that, it  was definitely his thinking pre game as he alluded he was going to do it in his press conference in the lead up to the game. I was a bit surprised and a little disappointed he did it, Ralph has often before prioritised cups and not put out such a changed side. We got a bit of a scare and got away with it.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Yeah I get that, it  was definitely his thinking pre game as he alluded he was going to do it in his press conference in the lead up to the game. I was a bit surprised and a little disappointed he did it, Ralph has often before prioritised cups and not put out such a changed side. We got a bit of a scare and got away with it.

I agree  I think we should always prioritise Cup games

I have been watching Saints since 1962 and apart from the Promotion years of 1966 1978 2009 2010 my best memories are from our successes in Cup games starting in 1963 through the Paints Trophy and the unlucky League Cup Final with Puel as manager where most other football supporters including MAN U ones thought we were robbed

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John B said:

Originally I thought the starting XI was pants 

However on reflection I think Ralph's plan worked reasonably well although playing extra time was not ideal

If things went wrong which they did he could bring on 5 subs in order to win the game which he did

S Armstong KWP played 75 mins Broja  56 mins Redmond 86 mins JWP 120 mins 

So the team that plays on Wednesday is relatively fresh

It was like a game of Russian roulette. He pulled the trigger and clicked on a blank. "See, all's well that ends well. What were you worrying about?"

1 hour ago, John B said:

Basically said the same thing elsewhere, apart from JWP no first choice players played excessive minutes.

You include Bednarek in the list of players that contributed 3 minutes in total, but Bednarek wasn't actually in the squad (neither was Perraud). I wondered why Jan wasn't in the squad, when most other first choices were (I forgot Perraud). Given Lyanco's unfortunate injury I wondered if there was something that kept him out, but no one seems to know.

Incidentally Ralph reckons Valery had a very good game (Hampshire Live): "I must say, Yan Valery was fantastic today as a centre-back, fantastic job. How he has developed his game was unbelievable to see. He was the best player in my team today," he said.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

No not all of them, just the ones that require it. We have some utter wet wipes amongst our fanbase who throw the towel in every time we go a goal down….they’ve probably never even been to St Mary’s. 

Have you missed our record breaking points dropped from winning positions? Let alone losing positions. 

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why did it take the assistant ref to put his flag up ? It wasnt till the keeper went over screeming at him that he finally did

1 hour ago, IFHP said:

Why did it take the assistant ref to put his flag up ? It wasnt till the keeper went over screeming at him that he finally did

Don’t be ridiculous. The assistant was in consultation with the referee at the time and even held his palm up to signal to Caballero that he should keep quiet and wait. In my opinion the assistant was unsure if the procedure when VAR is involved. After a brief consultation the flag went up and then the referee just waited a few moments for confirmation from VAR.

Believe me, the more that players complain to an official the less likely they are to get a marginal decision go their way.

16 hours ago, John B said:

We were only playing against Coventry not a PL team when your comment may be more relevant

Well, Small had to be hooked at half time despite us "only playing Coventry" as you put it so would have thought it IS relevant to question whether it was the right thing to throw him in alongside so many other reserve players? 

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Believe me, the more that players complain to an official the less likely they are to get a marginal decision go their way.

I think i remember you do/have refereed and so i take it from this that this is your refereeing style. Its a style i like and admire and I wish top level referees could follow suit. Nothing worse for me than watching crap antics i see from top flight players when my 5 yr old plays.

That said i believe you are totally wrong in the majority of cases - including in top flight football. There is admittedly other influences from outside players (crowd/manager/press/previous decisions) that make a difference but i firmly believe player chat has an impact. Look at rugby - often stated as the dream way for referees and players to interact... .Alun Wyn Jones is the master of chatting to a referee, it may be politer than just shouting but its complaining and it works and the same goes for top flight footy.  

1 hour ago, Saint Troy said:

I think i remember you do/have refereed and so i take it from this that this is your refereeing style. Its a style i like and admire and I wish top level referees could follow suit. Nothing worse for me than watching crap antics i see from top flight players when my 5 yr old plays.

That said i believe you are totally wrong in the majority of cases - including in top flight football. There is admittedly other influences from outside players (crowd/manager/press/previous decisions) that make a difference but i firmly believe player chat has an impact. Look at rugby - often stated as the dream way for referees and players to interact... .Alun Wyn Jones is the master of chatting to a referee, it may be politer than just shouting but its complaining and it works and the same goes for top flight footy.  

There is a danger in getting too chatty with the players. It’s fine to let them know some of the reasons behind your decisions but when a centre half, for example, comes up to you and says “Watch out for their number 9, he’s pulling my shirt all the time” what do you do the next time there’s a tussle and they’re pulling each other all over the place?

I also don’t like it when Premier League referees talk to players on first name terms. This is especially wrong when such referees are handling a mixed Premier League/ lower division game.

• Like 2