Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

40 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I always want the most unusual opposition away. Would love Boreham Wood, Kidderminster or Cambridge. Expect it will be Crystal Palace

Same, progress in the cup is always good but more fun if we get to combine with an away day somewhere we've not been before or at least not one of the usual grounds. 

We've got Spurs and Man Utd away that week already probably get one of those. 

Away day to Kidderminster, Borehamwood or Cambridge would be my preference 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I hope we get knocked out as early as possible so it doesn’t impact our premier league finish. Gutted we won yesterday 

Would you take winning the cup and relegation? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

Would you take winning the cup and relegation? 

Definitely not under Gao, I think relegation could have been the death of our club as a top flight entity for decades under him as I'm not convinced with a "sell to buy" policy we would have found it easy at all to get promoted again. He probably would have cashed out to any old chancer too, not the sort of investor who looks at premier league level teams.

With new owners, still probably not, I think if we stay a prem side for long enough we will eventually win a cup, but if we go down to the championship and don't come back up again pronto then our quality will drop dramatically, and we will never be able to seriously compete again. Also the standard of football would drop dramatically. Having said that, if we did bounce back after a year or two it would be worth it for the feeling on the day.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JRM said:

Would you take winning the cup and relegation

Depends on what 'type' of relegation you mean. The type where we spend up to, say, 5 years in the lower leagues but bounce back to the PL in relatively quick succession, or the sort of relegation whereby we become a fixture in the lower leagues and never return to the PL?

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

I would, no doubt whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Everyday single season. 

The slide down to league 1 was grim, but the time after that were some of my best as a fan. Good times. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Fours successive cup wins and down to the Vanarama.

Obviously I don’t mean that win the cup and relegated every season until we end up in Southampton junior 9 or whatever. But at the start of every season the offer was win the cup or relegation I’d take the cup win every season 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Obviously I don’t mean that win the cup and relegated every season until we end up in Southampton junior 9 or whatever. But at the start of every season the offer was win the cup or relegation I’d take the cup win every season 

I don't want to go all MLG on you, but wouldn't the outcome be the same if you apply that logic on a season by season basis? :)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

London away game please

Not if its Palace/Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal/WHU or even Brentford.

I'll take a QPR though, last time I went was when Mane scored in the 95th minute but I had such a crap restricted view seat I was better off staying at home!

However, I think I just absolutely hate London now... With the average pint at £6 or more it doesn't entice me.

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

I don't want to go all MLG on you, but wouldn't the outcome be the same if you apply that logic on a season by season basis? :)

I don’t want to go all MLG on you but a professional football club would never be offered a cup win in exchange for relegation 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Not if its Palace/Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal/WHU or even Brentford.

I'll take a QPR though, last time I went was when Mane scored in the 95th minute but I had such a crap restricted view seat I was better off staying at home!

However, I think I just absolutely hate London now... With the average pint at £6 or more it doesn't entice me.

100%, we have more than enough London away days already, including Spurs in the same week as the next round. I'd only have been interested in a Wimbledon / QPR / Leyton Orient trip , Millwall always good but not any top flight thanks 

Edited by JRM

Hate the way they do not tell you what time the draw is in the program, so you end up watching Wright and Keane reminiscing about how great they were! just want to see Palace home in the draw and then I can get on with my evening! 

Just now, Dr Who? said:

Hate the way they do not tell you what time the draw is in the program, so you end up watching Wright and Keane reminiscing about how great they were! just want to see Palace home in the draw and then I can get on with my evening! 

It's at 16:50 according to BBC

• Like 1