Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

58 minutes ago, JRM said:

I think it's in the rules, we have to match the price for their season ticket holders to match the deal for ours. 

You are right of course, but this isn't really a match-up deal. Their season ticket holders can purchase 2 tickets each from the off, so a Cov ST can buy themselves a ticket but could also buy one for their mate going to their first game this season. It would have been £15 if it reached general sale for them but it'll never go that far at a tenner 2-at-a-time so plenty of their non-ST holders getting the reduced price.

7 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

You are right of course, but this isn't really a match-up deal. Their season ticket holders can purchase 2 tickets each from the off, so a Cov ST can buy themselves a ticket but could also buy one for their mate going to their first game this season. It would have been £15 if it reached general sale for them but it'll never go that far at a tenner 2-at-a-time so plenty of their non-ST holders getting the reduced price.

Fair point, hope we thrash them to balance this injustice 

7 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Just for clarity, I’m certainly not knocking the club, their pricing for this match is excellent. I’d imagine if it doesn’t near sell-out at this ticket cost then we’ll probably not see it again.

Coventry sold their allocation within 2 hours of being put on sale today, can see a few of them looking to buy in the home end, big day out 

Some of their more regular fans are having a pop as they're struggling to sell their allocation for what they see as their more important league clash with MIddlesbrough - everyone loves an FA Cup away day, particularly the daytrippers!.

*not looking forward to that fookin' 'orrible Jimmy Hill song ringing round St Mary's.

We'll struggle to get anything going from our side with them getting the entire end, always the same with FA Cup ties at SMS, feels like we always have to give away our home advantage. 

Bought my ST seat in block 39 this morning. Usually I am miles from the away fans, for this one they will be right next to me. We better win!

48 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Some of their more regular fans are having a pop as they're struggling to sell their allocation for what they see as their more important league clash with MIddlesbrough - everyone loves an FA Cup away day, particularly the daytrippers!.

*not looking forward to that fookin' 'orrible Jimmy Hill song ringing round St Mary's.

Always sing 🎶 together .. blah blah 

Waited until today to get tickets, as a few of the group aren't ST-holders/members.

Incredibly the site is struggling to load anything past the Match Tickets - First Team page. can't be more than a couple of thousand people on there, surely?

The current system's even worse than the one we had previously.

Edited by ant
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ant said:

Waited until today to get tickets, as a few of the group aren't ST-holders/members.

The most galling thing about this scenario is the ST/members in your group will have to pay £5 extra for wanting to sit with those who aren't.  It's crazy.

1 minute ago, Mozz said:

The most galling thing about this scenario is the ST/members in your group will have to pay £5 extra for wanting to sit with those who aren't.  It's crazy.

To be fair I still seemed to manage to book myself a £10 ticket?

Couldn't see how to do it when adding my entire lot, so added mine to basket first, then went back and added the rest.

Well that's a result.

Ticket details were clear that intention is for price to go up:

Wednesday 26 January 9:30am: General Sale

Adults - £15

Under 18 - £5 

This price applies from this date even if you are a Season Ticket Holder or Member.

Would be sort of amusing if the ticket platform is so bad they can't even apply their own intended criteria!

I believe the last time we faced Coventry at home was in 2012, when we sealed promotion and they were relegated to League One.  Terrible day for a club that was pretty much in the same position as us when the Premier League was founded.  I was sat right next to their fans that day and they put on a great show of support despite events back then.

A good time to reflect on what we've achieved in the last 10 years.  I'll happily take another 4-0 win too 🙂

Edited by Sunglasses Ron

3 hours ago, Mozz said:

Well that's a result.

Ticket details were clear that intention is for price to go up:

Would be sort of amusing if the ticket platform is so bad they can't even apply their own intended criteria!

The ticket system is a joke, they were on sale yesterday to season ticket holders and members, if you were logged in as a season ticket holder it would only allow you to book for yourself and other season ticket holders, if logged in as a member you could book for yourself and other members, but if you wanted to buy for a mix of season ticket holders and members it had to be done on the phone, "just a system limitation " they told me, useless. 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 15:35, Saint_Jonny said:

We'll struggle to get anything going from our side with them getting the entire end, always the same with FA Cup ties at SMS, feels like we always have to give away our home advantage. 

Bought my ST seat in block 39 this morning. Usually I am miles from the away fans, for this one they will be right next to me. We better win!

Agree we'll have a bit of atmosphere in Kingsland and the Itchen North but will be easily drowned out by Cov. 

Waiting for someone to say this would have been perfect game to create a kop end at the Chapel 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Remind me as I can't for the life of me remember ... who else were relegated to League One that season? 😉

Not the skates I'm afraid: their incredible last gasp draw at SMS, which they celebrate annually, saved them from the drop that season, and also consigned us to another year in the Championship. 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Looking forward to this one. Cov fans will make a good atmosphere although no doubt there will be a lot of daytrippers making the journey down who wouldn't usually travel to away games. Might give us a sense of the type of atmosphere we could create if our fans had all of the Northam ;) Hoping to see a few of the young lads make an appearance like Thierry Small, maybe Kegs Chauke also.

Great effort for this game has sold out.

Now that transfer window has "slammed shut", this is a huge game to keep the magic in our season going. This is the team I'd play:

Forster, Yann, Bednarek, Stephens, Perraud, JWP, Diallo, Walcott, Elyounoussi, Adams, Adam Armstrong

That team should be more than good enough to win I hope, I know players have had 2 weeks off but we have tough fixtures with Spurs and Utd away next so keep Romeu/Broja/Stu/Salisu/Redmond fit for those 2 games in quick succession?

I hope Shane Long gets a bit of a runaround too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Now that transfer window has "slammed shut", this is a huge game to keep the magic in our season going. This is the team I'd play:

Forster, Yann, Bednarek, Stephens, Perraud, JWP, Diallo, Walcott, Elyounoussi, Adams, Adam Armstrong

That team should be more than good enough to win I hope, I know players have had 2 weeks off but we have tough fixtures with Spurs and Utd away next so keep Romeu/Broja/Stu/Salisu/Redmond fit for those 2 games in quick succession?

I think we might be underestimating Cov if we go with that line up, too many liabilities to carry , will Valery be given another chance after his red card at Swansea? 

Walcott concerns me. 

Suppose we have 9 on the bench and can bring 5 on so can make changes early on if needed. 

Full house for the game should be decent atmosphere. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Pretty much the side that I was thinking, apart for KWP for Yann and Redmond for Walcott. Hopefully Adam Armstrong can perform well against a Championship team.

Any news how Tino injury is recovering, even though they didn't think he would need an operation he may need quite a long recovery time for it to heal properly.

Edited by M271

36 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Shame the club sent Coventry extra tickets, when there was no need. There would usually be at least a couple of thousand home fans who'd buy tickets in the week before the game.

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Sold out the whole stadium or have we limited it?

If it is whole ground that's pretty decent going, albeit I know tickets were cheap.

Edited by CB Fry

58 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Shame the club sent Coventry extra tickets, when there was no need. There would usually be at least a couple of thousand home fans who'd buy tickets in the week before the game.

We have to give them 15% in the fa cup which is 4800, they've only got a few hundred more than that, I think they've kept quite a bit for segregation as Northam must hold more than 5132.

Edited by JRM

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Sold out the whole stadium or have we limited it?

If it is whole ground that's pretty decent going, albeit I know tickets were cheap.

I think I recall Coventry at home in 2012 is our record highest attendance, I'd assumed that was due to our promotion that day but this cup game selling out shows the demand to watch Coventry City is still strong. 

• Haha 1

Great news it's a "proper" sell out, as opposed to league match "sell outs" where absent season ticket holders are still counted,  this should mean there is a bum on nearly every available seat! 

I still get excited by the FA cup, seems a long time since we've had a Saturday afternoon home tie (note to the forum pedants, even if it isn't, please don't trouble yourself to correct me, as I really don't care)!

I'm also pleased it's a decent champ side. Really looking forward to it.

54 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Great news it's a "proper" sell out, as opposed to league match "sell outs" where absent season ticket holders are still counted,  this should mean there is a bum on nearly every available seat! 

I still get excited by the FA cup, seems a long time since we've had a Saturday afternoon home tie (note to the forum pedants, even if it isn't, please don't trouble yourself to correct me, as I really don't care)!

I'm also pleased it's a decent champ side. Really looking forward to it.

It does seem a long time, Spurs at home 2020? 

I've seen Saints go to penalties away at Sheffield United this season and Swansea took us to extra time , both of those sides are below Coventry in the league so wouldn't be surprised if this one goes to extra time as well. 

6 hours ago, JRM said:

I think I recall Coventry at home in 2012 is our record highest attendance, I'd assumed that was due to our promotion that day but this cup game selling out shows the demand to watch Coventry City is still strong. 

Like the 9,000 in the Ricoh Arena last time we played them in the cup?

3 minutes ago, BarryVenisonsHair said:

Probably been asked a million times, but I can't find an exact answer. What are the covid regs now? 

If you attended a party with Boris present, are a Russian who's donated £100,000 to the Conservatives or shagged his missus to Abba songs you're fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

McCarthy; KWP, Lyanco, Stephens, Small; JWP, Diallo; Elyounoussi, Tella, Armstrong; Adams. 

Wouldn't risk Broja, Stu, Salisu or Romeu with two tough away games coming up next week. It would be a good opportunity for Small to make his debut - he's been impressive for the under 23s so far this season. 

32 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

McCarthy; KWP, Lyanco, Stephens, Small; JWP, Diallo; Elyounoussi, Tella, Armstrong; Adams. 

Wouldn't risk Broja, Stu, Salisu or Romeu with two tough away games coming up next week. It would be a good opportunity for Small to make his debut - he's been impressive for the under 23s so far this season. 

Get your point re the number of games coming but that’s quite a lightweight midfield. I’m not Redmond’s biggest fan but I’d have him in for this one. 

1 hour ago, igsey said:

We've gone very strong our last couple of cup games, can't imagine that will change. Strongest line up with some kids on the bench, presumably KWP and Perraud at full back.

Has to be the way. Too risky to make wholesale changes. 

Town will be busy before the game, the Saturday shoppers might get a bit of a shock seeing so many pissed away fans wandering around.

2 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Like the 9,000 in the Ricoh Arena last time we played them in the cup?

I remember that one, 10 years ago freezing cold 3rd round game, JWP first goal for us? 

Remember going up there in the early 90s for a cup game and getting a replay, good result in those days tough place to go big Steve Ogrizovic in goal for them. 

I quite like the fact our club record attendance is against a team like Coventry rather than a Man Utd or Liverpool.