Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

24 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He's 17 years old and he's 25 minutes into his senior debut, and you've already written him off as crap.

Classy.

You should hear the bloke behind me in the stadium. 10 minutes in and he'd already judged him as "not up to it" and "not good enough to play men's football"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintBobby said:

Surely make 3 changes right now and reset the team?

To a degree the move to 4-4-2 and bringing Redmond on, who offers some dribbling ability, has done that, but the attack just doesn't look very threatening at all.

Can anyone seriously say they did not fear this when seeing that Ralph decided to start with a virtual reserve side? He has disrespected Coventry and our fans and now it will be very tough to get back into this even if he bring some big guns on at half time. We'll end up having had to work harder than if he'd gone for it from the start and the psychological damage a defeat could do is anybody's guess. You've got this horribly wrong Ralph and now it's your job to redeem yourself.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

They are contracted first team squad members of a Premier League team. Even if they are only good enough to be 'bit part' players at that level, they should still be better than a mid table Championship side, especially at home.

Why should they? Walcott and Long would not get in many Championship teams and Armstrong has a lot to prove before you can say he’s better than a Champ player.

Small and Stephens are all over the place defensively. 

Valery is not arguably better than a mid table Champ player, although he’s been decent today, and the keeper is a 50 year old who hardly ever plays a match in his career.

• Like 1

I am absolutely baffled why we have selected this team. Ralph usually plays a strong side in cups, even if we are struggling. So why on earth have we played this team when we are 10 points clear of relegation? 

It is also changes the atmosphere in the stadium. Instead of a sell out crowd baying for blood and cheering the lads on, it sucks the life out of them when they Ralph hasn't taken it seriously.

The front 3 have been appalling. No link up play, no movement, no intelligence. But then what does anyone expect of a front 3 of Armstrong, Long and Walcott?

• Like 4

Awful 'performance'. If there's any positive to be gained, at least it may show the new owner how weak we are if we have to go outside of the first 11.  May also highlight a few that we need to offload ASAP.  We've hardly had a shot and they look much more likely to add to their score than we do.  Awful so far. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Cov goal pretty much came from Armstrong not having the confidence or conviction to take on a shot and instead try a pass that didn't work. Then we were on our heels. 

Came from a horrible ball out of defence from Lyanco but people like him because he fist pumps after making tackles 

Just now, badgerx16 said:

They are contracted first team squad members of a Premier League team. Even if they are only good enough to be 'bit part' players at that level, they should still be better than a mid table Championship side, especially at home.

I can’t see that Small for example, who’s only played two senior games as far as I’m aware, can compete with experienced championship players.

I agree with you that it’s no excuse for what we’ve seen so far though. 

We've been no trouble at all for Coventry. They've been the better team. Ralph's decided on too much rotation in my opionion, underestimating our opponents and disjointing our play. I know people have been criticizing Armstrong but why are we playing crosses into him from out wide? I agree he's been underwhelming this season but we're not playing to his strengths today.

Edited by Disco Stu

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Came from a horrible ball out of defence from Lyanco but people like him because he fist pumps after making tackles 

In addition, he doesn't get close to his man, then he follows the ball leaving that man completely unmarked with a simple chance to score. 

11 minutes ago, benjii said:

Shockingly complacent team selection. Stupid from Ralph. If you pick a front 3 of Walcott, Long and Armstrong you are virtually guaranteeing a load of dross.

Armstrong, Perraud, Adams and Salisu on for Walcott, Long, Stephens and Small.

If Walcott comes out second half then Ralph out!

Does FA cup still allow 5 subs?

Just now, Manuel said:

Ok, one positive.  The short corner was decent (if only Theo could shoot properly).  Would like more of those.   

Main positive for me is its only 1 nil and we can't be any worse - oh that's two positives! Yay! 

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Neither Perraud or Walker Peters are involved in the half time game of passing the ball around while avoiding the sprinklers so maybe they are both coming on?

Nor is Stuart Armstrong so hopefully we'll see him come on.

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Neither Perraud or Walker Peters are involved in the half time game of passing the ball around while avoiding the sprinklers so maybe they are both coming on?

Livramento has been poor and Smalls reminds me a bit of Valery. Calm, but maybe a bit too laid back. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We've been no trouble at all for Coventry. They've been the better team. Ralph's decided on too much rotation in my opionion, underestimating our opponents and disjointing our play. I know people have been criticizing Armstrong but why are we playing crosses into him from out wide? I agree he's been underwhelming this season but we're not playing to his strengths today.

Don’t think he’s got any strengths.

5 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Effing crap first half. 
That forward line is horrendous with Long Walcott and Armstrong.

How we managed to spunk 15 million on f**king Adam Armstrong I have no idea.

I think the signing was okay in logic. 15 million isn't enough to guarantee you a Prem quality striker these days so it is gonna be a bit of a gamble. Seeing a few championship strikers make the step up last few seasons, it was as good a punt as any.

That said, the signs are not looking good. When Che struggled to score in his first season, there were a few positives to hold onto. It was clear he was strong as an ox with a good eye and technique for a pass. He was also getting in some decent position but lacking composure. I'm not seeing any of those same positive with Armstrong unfortunately. Most of his shot on goal are the type that fly in 1 every 10. He doesn't really link up play, and he's not getting himself in enough goal scoring situations no matter who the opponents are. Not ready to give up on him, but we do need to see a bit more.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic