Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

12 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Remind me, who won?

Nobody is disputing who won. Even in victory it is sensible to consider team selection and performance - those two things were poor today but, if people think there's a free pass available because we won then that's their choice.

• Like 3

Poor first half due to all the changes

Walcott in my opinion  is finished. Offered zilch, Adam Armstrong is just not good enough and young Small had a very difficult half.

Belter from Stuey but overall harsh on Coventry who I thought made a real game of it and had good vocal fans.

Could do without the injuries mind.

• Like 4

Back from the game.

First half we were awful and luckily got in one nil down. Just seemed nothing to our play. The 5-3-2 wasn’t the right choice for this sort of game imo.

Small has to get better at defending. A few times he looked a threat going forward but that’s not the bread and butter.

A.Armstrong reminds me of early Adams before he got the city goal. Looked a bit lost unfortunately.

Of the fringe players Valery was probably the best but still had one horror show of a backpass in the 2nd half.

The positives, it was a win. That was a glorious goal by Stu Armstrong.

• Like 2

Up until the back pass, thought Valery had a good game tbf. Mixed it well with the unit they had up top, looked better than Stephens anyway who seemed to think he was a level above Coventry and could coast through the game.

Small had a few good bits going forward, but looked terrible defensively. Again, having Stephens alongside you can’t help.

Someone put Theo out of his misery. Please. Complete and utter waste of space. 

Armstrong (A) just has no redeeming features. Offers nothing. With Che when he first came in, you could see a player in there that needed refinement. AA just has nothing about him at this level. 

Only real positive for me (other than scraping through) was seeing Stu getting somewhere back to his best. Looked so much sharper and of course a wonderful goal.

• Like 1

Funny old match, we never looked like scoring until two fine pieces of individual brilliance saw us through. Having said that we never really looked like losing either. Commentator was a bit confused having at first said we are no longer a selling club he immediately changed his tune when KWP scored the winner " a left back that can score goals will attract a lot of attention from other clubs"! 

Is this the beginning of the end for Adam Armstrong? Not good to be hooked off so early. Thierry Small seemed just too overwhelmed by the occasion, not surprising at 17 but given his chance he should have grabbed it with both hands. The pace of the game was too much for him after half-an-hour.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Up until the back pass, thought Valery had a good game tbf. Mixed it well with the unit they had up top, looked better than Stephens anyway who seemed to think he was a level above Coventry and could coast through the game.

Small had a few good bits going forward, but looked terrible defensively. Again, having Stephens alongside you can’t help.

Armstrong (A) just has no redeeming features. Offers nothing. With Che when he first came in, you could see a player in there that needed refinement. AA just has nothing about him at this level. 

Only real positive for me (other than scraping through) was seeing Stu getting somewhere back to his best. Looked so much sharper and of course a wonderful goal.

With Theo it feels as if the club and the player himself is in denial. I think someone close to him needs to have some serious words with him about his plans. He doesn't move very well, his pace has gone, his touch is awful and his strength is non-existent. It's honestly the equivalent of playing with 10 men and it's a waste of a squad space. This isn't 'form' or 'confidence', this is just a lack of genuine ability and physical attributes to be any use to us. I guess he's good around the place and the bonus is having him to mentor the likes of Tella etc, but honestly just give him a job doing that.

I hate to see his professional career ending like this with us. 

• Like 3

Had to watch the game on TV today. You played against us like we play against most other championship sides. Dominated possession without to much threat .

We can reach the playoffs in the championship , still, but we are away off , doing that week after week. 

So thanks for the lesson, we will definitely learn.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, RedWillie said:

Poor first half due to all the changes

Walcott in my opinion  is finished. Offered zilch, Adam Armstrong is just not good enough and young Small had a very difficult half.

Belter from Stuey but overall harsh on Coventry who I thought made a real game of it and had good vocal fans.

Could do without the injuries mind.

I think small was unfortunate he was chucked in with that side around him. I mean you can sometimes carry one of Walcott or long to a certain extent, but both of them starting is never going to go well. Walcott in particular is a complete fraud of a player nowadays. Should be nowhere near a prem squad

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

With Theo it feels as if the club and the player himself is in denial. I think someone close to him needs to have some serious words with him about his plans. He doesn't move very well, his pace has gone, his touch is awful and his strength is non-existent. It's honestly the equivalent of playing with 10 men and it's a waste of a squad space. This isn't 'form' or 'confidence', this is just a lack of genuine ability and physical attributes to be any use to us. I guess he's good around the place and the bonus is having him to mentor the likes of Tella etc, but honestly just give him a job doing that.

To be fair Theo is a bright lad and no doubt feels highly frustrated with his own performances and the dawning realisation that the end of the road for his career is looming. What is sad for him and us is that he seemed genuinely wanting to return to his boyhood club to help us achieve something special but it hasn't worked out that way. 

What he doesn't need is hoards of fans on his back every time he takes to the pitch and in the aftermath on here, that isn't going to help him one little bit.

He knows, Ralph knows that Theo's time is coming to an end so we should respect that and do our best to encourage him in one or two last flourishes before he makes his exit.

Having for years  been slagged off on here as being past it and useless it is good to see a little bit of love developing for Shane Long and how it has helped lift his game when making cameo appearances like today.           

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 13

4 minutes ago, Covkid19 said:

Had to watch the game on TV today. You played against us like we play against most other championship sides. Dominated possession without to much threat .

We can reach the playoffs in the championship , still, but we are away off , doing that week after week. 

Good luck for the season, you've got a tidy team there. Another decent Chelsea youngster in your midfield I think.

Think you lack genuine goal threat, but you're not a bad outfit.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Covkid19 said:

Thanks for your views. I must say that I was impressed by your team.Whilst we were disjointed your lot were putting together some very slick moves. That succulent goal from Stuart Armstrong was something that you only see once every few seasons so there’s no disgrace in losing because of that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agree Clarkey, it’s sad to see.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

To be fair Theo is a bright lad and no doubt feels highly frustrated with his own performances and the dawning realisation that the end of the road for his career is looming. What is sad for him and us is that he seemed genuinely wanting to return to his boyhood club to help us achieve something special but it hasn't worked out that way. 

What he doesn't need is hoards of fans on his back every time he takes to the pitch and in the aftermath on here, that isn't going to help him one little bit.

He knows, Ralph knows that Theo's time is coming to an end so we should respect that and do our best to encourage him in one or two last flourishes before he makes his exit.              

I'm not sure about that.

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Plus you clearly hate Ralph because you havent stopped gurning about him

Really 🤣? I've been a consistent supporter of his and often get flack for it. But he had a mare and should be called on it. You should always beware when someone is put on a pedestal and becomes above criticism. 

That team selection today was incredibly poor - it nearly cost us and meant we had to use substitutions early and couldn't protect key players - all of which resulted in several of them playing either a full match or even 120min ahead of Tottenham and United away, and a potentially serious injury to broja picked up late in extra time. Most of that is avoidable with a strong starting 11 and taking control of the tie early on. I also doubt it did Thierry small's (or even Armstrong's) confidence much good playing in such a weak starting 11. 🤷‍♂️

Given we generally like to take the cups seriously under Ralph, it was an odd selection and a let off. Hopefully he learns from it. 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Having for years  been slagged off on here as being past it and useless it is good to see a little bit of love developing for Shane Long and how it has helped lift his game when making cameo appearances like today.           

But if it's at the determinant to us as a team then it's hard to really encourage his appearances, if I'm honest. He's got another 18 months left yet. From the bench at absolute best I'd say, but he shouldn't be starting anymore. I doubt he takes much notice of social media if we're honest and anyone's views, but it's shocking how far off he looks nowadays. I don't remember seeing a player so far off the required level playing for us for quite some time.

I thought his return was a bit sentimental at the time and was a bit of a PR job, certainly the contract after the loan, and sadly it's proving to be no more than that. 'Never go back' they say, and they're probably right. A lesson I should have learnt a few times in my own life as well!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Covkid19 said:

Good performance from Coventry, we were lucky to get through that. I thought Mark Robbins really stood out today. When Saints pushed you back he immediately made changes and pushed forward again. Good tactician be interesting to see how he copes in the EPL.

Good luck getting to play offs, love a trip to Coventry nice and easy.

33 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Hang on there a bit on AA..................thoughts about Redmond?,another senior pro that STILL offers no attacking threat whatsoever.Okay we are through to the

next round just, but we are there.Play today was so bloody slow and ponderous. So many needless passes that didnt offer anything , five or six passes amongst the back four or five whatever,but no ambition or was that due to the lack of movement in front?.Think we wont see Small again for a while unless injurys.He was bloody awful,i know debut and all that but seemed very lackluster and very unsure.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

If Broja and Lyanco are out long term it really doesn't justify that spectacular error of a team selection.

Plus we will be knackered for 2 tough games in a week.

Ralph had a mare today.

You are blaming Ralph for two injuries ??

Pray tell how he could have avoided those ??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Me and the boy's first game for quite a while and our first home win since the old king died (well almost). How great it was to see the saints again and get back into the Saturday football habit. As for the game, I haven't read what everyone else has been saying but for me the manager got the starting line up all wrong frankly. Indeed, there were so many changes, with so many "squad" players introduced, the fact that we obviously struggled horrendously in the first half was as predictable as anything could ever be in football. This team selection was tantamount to a insult to both the competition and the opposition and after the first 45 minutes we had exactly what we deserved. 

The second saw better players introduced and we got much better as a result - what a great goal from Armstrong. But amongst all the drama and celebration of a hard fought victory the impression that we "got away with one" today is hard to deny. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Covkid19 said:

Was impressed with your No.10 today, he reminded me bit like Adam Lallana when he was in League 1 / Championship. 

Tidy player with his head on the swivel. Good quick feet too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sideways Jim said:

Was impressed with your No.10 today, he reminded me bit like Adam Lallana when he was in League 1 / Championship. 

Tidy player with his head on the swivel. Good quick feet too

Callum O'Hare wasn't it? Tbh from watching that today he'd be an upgrade on most of our No 10's. 

6 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

He set up a team for some players to get injured, really ?

I must be missing your point completely !

I'm completely lost at these points as well to be honest. Broja wasn't even in the team, he was a sub. Ideally we didn't want to use him, but we had to in the end.

So, what did we do wrong exactly? Should we have started him and risked him getting injured from the start? 

The argument that we'll be knackered is confusing as well, the reason for rotating the team is to avoid tiredness so we wouldn't be as knackered. If we went first team today there is no guarantee we'd have got through comfortably either, not at all. 

Flogging the likes of Stephens, Long, Valery, Theo etc for the majority of that game whilst saving Slaisu, Adams, Broja and Romeu in the main is squad management. And we got through, so that's all that matters really.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 10

Hey they won. When we watch the cup being paraded outside the Guildhall, this dodgy performance will be forgotten.

No surprises with the replacements, as a unit they weakened the side significantly. I think Valery was way better at CH, than in a more attacking role. Bar set low there.

As soon as Broja, Armstrong, Redmond, KWP, and Romeu came on I was confident they'd get over the line ..... eventually.

Biggest disappointment for me was Adam Armstrong. Clearly did well in the Championship but looks shot now. A shame but unless he can turn it around his Premier League days are numbered. As a striker you have to score.

Next round please not so many changes Ralph.

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hard to see a way back for A Armstrong after this, Getting pulled off at half time against a championship team isn't a good look.

Exactly my thoughts, i know Che struggled at the start here aswell but at least there was signs of a player with Che. I dont see that with A. Armstrong 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hard to see a way back for A Armstrong after this, Getting pulled off at half time against a championship team isn't a good look.

He seems to be going backwards. When he first arrived I thought he looked like he a bit about him. Last few games he’s looked a million miles away. Totally ineffectual today although Coventry did sit deep which doesn’t really suit him. 

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Felt sorry for the lad. He was given a start but in a team so weak that he had little opportunity to show what he can do and got hooked at half time before the better players came on. Wouldn't judge him on today and don't think Ralph did him any favours. You might say it's up to him to shine but he got zero service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Nobody is disputing who won. Even in victory it is sensible to consider team selection and performance - those two things were poor today but, if people think there's a free pass available because we won then that's their choice.

Critics need to be critical. Each to their own.

1 hour ago, eurosaint said:

You are blaming Ralph for two injuries ??

Pray tell how he could have avoided those ??

1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

Well he chose the team set up didnt he?

This makes no sense. Players get injured. Broja got injured because some idiot clouted his knee. What do you suggest, keep our best players on the bench to stop them getting injured?! 

• Like 3

As a serial critic of Valery the right back, that is the third very strong centre back performance he has put in this season, with exception of one poor back pass today.  Looked very good at Chelsea in League cup and home to Spurs too.

if you suspend judgement based on prior performances and just look at pace, timing of interceptions and reading of the game he has looked a totally different player.  Quite amazing, and I confess I would have sold him last summer.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Fwiw Adam Armstrong will join the flop list. Championship player at best. 

Yeah he’s rubbish, or has been rubbish for us so far this season. 

Really disappointing signing. He’s the most wasteful striker I’ve seen play for us. Decision making is poor, and gives the ball away. 

Not ideal when you’re relying on Broja who might be injured….

58 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

Exactly my thoughts, i know Che struggled at the start here aswell but at least there was signs of a player with Che. I dont see that with A. Armstrong 

How long did it take Che to score again? Pretty sure if you dig up the old Che thread, he would likely have been wrote off early doors by the many experts on here. 

Yes Armstrong only has 2 but both goals showed what he is clearly capable of (and the Villa goal got us the 3 points). Its clear he is struggling for form and confidence, but Im not ready to write him off just 6 months into his saints career. Out of our current 4 strikers, he is probably the most likely to still be here next season so we need to get behind him

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Saint86 said:

If Broja and Lyanco are out long term it really doesn't justify that spectacular error of a team selection.

Plus we will be knackered for 2 tough games in a week.

Ralph had a mare today.

I agree. Ralph should have definitely played and also definitely rested our best players today.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

How long did it take Che to score again? Pretty sure if you dig up the old Che thread, he would likely have been wrote off early doors by the many experts on here. 

Yes Armstrong only has 2 but both goals showed what he is clearly capable of (and the Villa goal got us the 3 points). Its clear he is struggling for form and confidence, but Im not ready to write him off just 6 months into his saints career. Out of our current 4 strikers, he is probably the most likely to still be here next season so we need to get behind him

Yep the attitude that gets shown towards him is absolutely pathetic 

he had some important assists too early at a time when the team wasn’t getting any wins, without His goals, assists and penalty wins we would’ve probably been close to bottom in november

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah he’s rubbish, or has been rubbish for us so far this season. 

Really disappointing signing. He’s the most wasteful striker I’ve seen play for us. Decision making is poor, and gives the ball away. 

Not ideal when you’re relying on Broja who might be injured….

Won't be long until we loan him back down the leagues. The scouting here is awful. 

• Confused 1

Plenty of revisionism on here regarding Adams. I always thought he would be good enough, but more than plenty did not so it’s not really accurate to say he looked any better than Armstrong at this stage as he didn’t. Armstrong has two goals this season, it took Che about 30 games to get his first. I also remember very clearly being at Pompey away and thinking it was Adams’ night to announce himself - he was totally anonymous, and he knew it, and looked very frustrated at the end of the game. There are lots of parallels. It’s still too early to write off Armstrong imo. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Yep the attitude that gets shown towards him is absolutely pathetic 

he had some important assists too early at a time when the team wasn’t getting any wins, without His goals, assists and penalty wins we would’ve probably been close to bottom in november

Agree with some of what you’ve said about early season contribution but in answer to Woodsaint what you would see if you dug up an early Che Adams thread is frustration at composure in front of goal but admiration and respect for the number of assists, hold up play and passing eg Villa game. Che is always contributing even if not scoring. I hope AA can adapt but today was important for him to make his mark and I fear RH may be losing confidence in him. 

WBU - just seen your post and I agree, Che was very nervous at Fratton but I don’t wholly agree in terms of revisionism, Che always had more about his game. AA is a very different striker, off the last shoulder but his link play before that is miles away from where it needs to be, even if the club recruits a starter quality number 10 in the summer to offer earlier delivery and through balls. 

Hoping that AA can make the transition but will need to adapt and refine his game to make the most of the reduced time and space you get in the PL.

Edited by saint1977

2 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Won't be long until we loan him back down the leagues. The scouting here is awful. 

Broja, Livramento, Salisu, Stuart Armstrong, Diallo, KWP and Adams says it isn't.

No clubs get their transfers 100% spot on. Leicester signed Vestergaard and Bertrand yet people say they have great scouting.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Plenty of revisionism on here regarding Adams. I always thought he would be good enough, but more than plenty did not so it’s not really accurate to say he looked any better than Armstrong at this stage as he didn’t. Armstrong has two goals this season, it took Che about 30 games to get his first. I also remember very clearly being at Pompey away and thinking it was Adams’ night to announce himself - he was totally anonymous, and he knew it, and looked very frustrated at the end of the game. There are lots of parallels. It’s still too early to write off Armstrong imo. 

Adams has always had more about his all round game so it was easier to see his qualities even when he wasn't scoring.

Armstrong needs goals. He has shown threat in some games so I'm not writing him off but I am worried about his lack of clinical finishing