Saints 1-1 Man City - Match Thread

nta786

Think it’s about time somebody gives a shout out to Perraud for his performance today.

Not perfect by my god did he earn his spot today. Worked his ass off, got up and down the pitch, made so many challenges and almost always managed to leave a little something behind to shithouse them. Hopefully he’ll keep moving forwards and we’ll continue to have some balance down the flanks 

• Like 23

Just now, SaintZamboni said:

Think it’s about time somebody gives a shout out to Perraud for his performance today.

Not perfect by my god did he earn his spot today. Worked his ass off, got up and down the pitch, made so many challenges and almost always managed to leave a little something behind to shithouse them. Hopefully he’ll keep moving forwards and we’ll continue to have some balance down the flanks 

Thought he had sterling in his pocket 1st half 💪🏻

1 minute ago, SaintZamboni said:

Agree , I think he's really improved and gets involved in the game much more now 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintZamboni said:

Yep, agree he was excellent. And as good as Tino has been so far, having KWP back in at RB gave us a bit more steel in defence I thought. I would be very happy with these two as our first choice fullbacks for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

I really liked how spiky he is. Got in the face of the city wingers and didn't let them settle.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Without being biased, that would be a ridiculous sending off

he rakes him with his studs down his thigh. It wasn't a good tackle. I'm not sure what the law says, but its got to be classified as dangerous play

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

In a one on one red corner vs bluster corner - who wins? OR would murder the f**king hair band wearing jessie 

Given how easily Grealish goes down on the pitch, Romeu could probably put him on his arse just by staring at him.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Haha 4

Magnificent performance. 
We knew what we were going to face and stood up well. 
so many clubs and fans would be envious of us going unbeaten against city in a season. 
they would love it…we’ve done it. 
Salisu was a man mountain. 
Peraud was superb. 
I could go on giving plaudits to players….but Ralph got it right too. 

• Like 4

I'd like to join the Perraud fans today. I thought he was excellent. He won a load of fouls off Stirling and coped well when Jesus came on. And he often provided a counter attacking route on our left. He's at least half decent.

I'd like also to speak up for Redders from the first half. He made the run and the assist to set up the goal. And, somehow, he was on our goal line making vital clearances, at least three of them in the last 15 minutes before he came off.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Blaming Forster, really? Sure its nothing to do with our stupidly high line where we go zonal marking and allow runners between the lines. It doesnt work as we have seen repeatedly this season. If it wasnt for Forsters save from Sterling we would have lost 

The thing is the high line defending does work because we barely concede from it. People keep saying it's terrible but until the Wolves game it had worked fine.

Also it's not just us who do it, loads of teams do it including Man City who arguably have the best manager in the world.

• Like 4

Phew! Exhausting watching those type of games just waiting for the inevitable lucky bounce, deflection, never-a-penalty-but-is-against-us VAR decision to go against us in extra time...but no - we hold on, and could have even sneaked it! So proud of my team. Pep clearly. pissed-off in the interview later saying it was their best performance of the season apparently without sarcasm...

Perrault is a fighter, I like that he battles for everything and really let Sterling know he was around. Salisu a beast as normal. First signs of Armstrong's class in controlling the ball in midfield and creating from there...great goal from KWP. Foster had a good game, although I thought he should have come for the cross on the goal - we need to sort that long free kick over the high defensive wall - like an open invitation for the opposition. Were lucky City took so many quick, short free kicks from good positions instead of setting them up.

Broja class, kept them occupied at the backall game.

A really hard-fought point. should build confidence to beat Spurs on their home patch.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I'd like also to speak up for Redders from the first half. He made the run and the assist to set up the goal. And, somehow, he was on our goal line making vital clearances, at least three of them in the last 15 minutes before he came off.

he certainly did, but for Sterlings chance saved by Forster, he literally stands there in no mans land and watches Sterling run into the box. If Sterling had scored, which he should have done, I'd of been fuming. Three minutes later he's nicking off Debryne's boot. Maybe he felt guilty at his lack of effort just before. Glad h got the chance to redeem himself.

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

he rakes him with his studs down his thigh. It wasn't a good tackle. I'm not sure what the law says, but its got to be classified as dangerous play

As the ref booked Stu for the foul VAR had to assess if the yellow was a 'clear and obvious' error of judgement on the severity of the challenge.

48 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Let's not go overboard. Van Dijk was better than Salisu from the very first game he played for us, he is truly a world class talent who has only stopped being talked about in those terms because of the long time he was out injured last season. I think Salisu is excellent but I don't see any evidence he will be as good as Van Dijk. 

To be fair Van DIjk IIRC was 24 when he joined us and had already played like 190 senior games, including multiple games in the Champions league. He is also European and been in the British culture (well Scotland but similar physical league) for like 2 seasons as well. 

Salisu is still 22, he's only played so far just over 100 career games and 40 of those were B team football in the Spanish 3rd division, having moved from Africa, to then Spain and now England, and having arrived here he was ill and injured. He's had a lot more to deal with and cope with in his career than Van Dijk had before joining us and has a lot less experience as well.

Now I am not saying he is going to be as good as Van Dijk, but considering he's only had 60 odd top flight games in two different countries, and had issues when he first arrived, his improvement has been rapid and seems to be getting better and better.

On this sort of upward curve at 24-25 he could easily be as good as Van Dijk was at the same age. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Phew! Exhausting watching those type of games just waiting for the inevitable lucky bounce, deflection, never-a-penalty-but-is-against-us VAR decision to go against us in extra time...but no - we hold one, and could have even sneaked it! So proud of my team. Pep clearly. pissed-off in the interview later saying it was their best performance of the season apparently without sarcasm...

Perrault is a fighter, I like that he battles for everything and really let Sterling know he was around. Salisu a beast as normal. First signs of Armstrong's class in controlling the ball in midfield and creating from there...great goal from KWP. Foster had a good game, although I thought he should have come for the cross on the goal - we need to sort that long free kick over the high defensive wall - like an open invitation for the opposition. Were lucky City took so many quick, short free kicks from good positions instead of setting them up.

A really hard-fought point. should build confidence to beat Spurs on their home patch.

Thought it looked as though City had done their homework on our high line for their goal and we should have been more switched on. They overloaded the left side and their three biggest players held back and made their runs late knowing they'd be onside. We need to watch that because other sides may try the same after seeing that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

As the ref booked Stu for the foul VAR had to assess if the yellow was a 'clear and obvious' error of judgement on the severity of the challenge.

I'm surprised they didn't ask the ref to have another look. Glad they didn't. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic