Saints 1-1 Man City - Match Thread

nta786

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Microphone right by the city fans making them sound ridiculously loud, seen city live loads of times and they fans never make that sort of noise

Just reading back through a bit of this thread as I walk to the car and you are right.

They sang once just after half time and not again until the scored and then started going on about how our support was shit! Haha.

Battled right to the end. Excellent point. We had one or two chances to extend our lead too.

A little disappointing not to be able to keep the ball a little more. It was attack vs defence for almost all the game really. They are in a different league to us though I suppose.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Just now, Streaky said:

That's one way of looking at it which by the way is completely wrong. Broja let his man go then just stuck is arm off as a way of defending. No keeper comes for that, hes never getting there.

But that's precisely my point. He started to come, then changed his mind, and ended up stuck in no mans land.

If we play the high defensive line from those FKs then Forster needs to stay on his line and trust himself to save whatever comes at him, not make a half-hearted effort to come for a ball that he's never going to get to and leave a free header into an empty net.

He did exactly the same thing last week against Wolves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Battled right to the end. Excellent point. We had one or two chances to extend our lead too.

A little disappointing not to be able to keep the ball a little more. It was attack vs defence for almost all the game really. They are in a different league to us though I suppose.

They are a great side - saints played well.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

But that's precisely my point. He started to come, then changed his mind, and ended up stuck in no mans land.

If we play the high defensive line from those FKs then Forster needs to stay on his line and trust himself to save whatever comes at him, not make a half-hearted effort to come for a ball that he's never going to get to and leave a free header into an empty net.

This

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Just reading back through a bit of this thread as I walk to the car and you are right.

They sang once just after half time and not again until the scored and then started going on about how our support was shit! Haha.

It made them sound like a noisy home crowd, really loud and yeah you could hear them singing you’re support is f**king shit. I never remember them being particularly loud. 

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Frustrating thing is if he'd committed and come all the way he'd have got it and if he'd stayed on his line he was odds on to save it.

On 17/01/2022 at 14:38, Sarisbury Saint said:

Yep, let’s take them by surprise. Just hope they didn’t watch the Liverpool game against us.

Its a  formation that found us out but thankfully Ralph has finally seen that aswell and things have started to improve, yet you want to go back to it 🙄

Seemed to work ok ;)

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Let's not go overboard. Van Dijk was better than Salisu from the very first game he played for us, he is truly a world class talent who has only stopped being talked about in those terms because of the long time he was out injured last season. I think Salisu is excellent but I don't see any evidence he will be as good as Van Dijk. 

Oh, I don't think he's better (yet!), but prices have gone up since VVD left and I can only see Salisu improving from here. His acrobatic interceptions, which he leads the league in (interceptions, not acrobatic ones) show what incredible athleticism and coordination he naturally has. He's also brought in a real discipline to his game, while still taking opportunities to press forward. He's definitely the best defender we've had since VVD.

• Like 4

Their ability to move the ball around and away from danger both individually and as a team is outrageous

We battled hard throughout, played as a team and looked as competetive as any team has against them from memory

We suddenly look like things have clicked, maybe its coincided with the takeover and has instilled more confidence

One or two important signings and we suddenly look a real competitive outfit

• Like 4

Excellent effort from the lads. Played very well for first half, still a threat up to 60 but like the Alamo after that. To be unbeaten against them in the league this season requires 120 minutes of intense focus and concentration. 

Great goal KWP, Livra will have to earn his place once fit. Midfielders worked their socks off and still supplied dangerous deliveries, Stu more like his old self. Broja did very well although should have scored. Frustrating to concede a set piece to a great side like that but considering the woodwork strikes I’m not complaining. Could’ve won it but easily lost it late on, definitely a point gained. 

4 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Oh, I don't think he's better (yet!), but prices have gone up since VVD left and I can only see Salisu improving from here. His acrobatic interceptions, which he leads the league in (interceptions, not acrobatic ones) show what incredible athleticism and coordination he naturally has. He's also brought in a real discipline to his game, while still taking opportunities to press forward. He's definitely the best defender we've had since VVD.

Not a particularly high bench mark

Salusu is fantastic, but VVD he isn’t, he is probably more around Killer Svensson levels though, maybe a higher ceiling 

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

I made that exact comparison earlier this season. 

In that mould definitely, think he needs a proper footballer next to him, not that it tends to be that pronounced these days of course

He needs a tad more composure under pressure but has the makings of a very good CB, all the correct physical attributes for it and reads danger better than any other CB at the club (who are largely reactive rather than proactive)

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Christ, they're really labouring over the goal conceded longer than anything else in the entire game.

Well there wasn’t much else to talk about. Saints had what two half chances and City only had a couple themselves, they were right to highlight the crap defending as it cost us the 3 points. Although I’m delighted with a draw 

Fantastic result against an incredible team. Crap defending for the goal. VAR nonsense adding to the drama. Was a solid team effort and the fighting spirit seems to have arrived thankfully. Impossible to criticise our play going forward against such a well organised team who rarely give the ball away, and certainly not cheaply. Nice one Saints. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

I know the only way we had of winning this was scoring early and hanging on, but it's bloody agony to watch.

Salisu having a storming game. Forster excelling at, well, being a big fucker.

Not convinced we can hold out, and I'm sure there'll be a game changing penalty and/or red card (Bednarek the hot favourite) in the pipeline, but we've been really decent so far.

Redmond still looks underpowered to me after covid. Doesn't look like he can break into a sprint.

Fingers crossed for the second half, I guess. Not sure what else we can do.

When did he have COVID, must have been a year before anyone had heard of it? Must have been the Pangolin kebab I saw him eating in Bedford Place in 2018.

Unbeaten against City this season and restricted them to one goal. I'll take that all day. Great performance for the whole game and superb goal by KWP. Broja caused them plenty of problems particularly in the first half. Wouldn't fault anyone after that and the effort we put in. Laporte just made the excuse that St Marys is a small pitch - come on man, how much is your squad worth. You have to be better than making poor excuses like that - take it on the chin.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic