Saints 1-1 Man City - Match Thread

nta786

24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Aymeric Laporte complaining the St Mary’s pitch is small! When it has exactly the same dimensions as the pitch at the Etihad Stadium! 🙄

There is no bigger pitch than St Mary’s in the PL, the majority of the pitches are the same size.

Probably knew nothing about us, googled us pre-match, read about what a fortress The Dell is for us and g ot his excuses prepared.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

he rakes him with his studs down his thigh. It wasn't a good tackle. I'm not sure what the law says, but its got to be classified as dangerous play

To me a glancing/raking blow like that might well be painful but i don't see the nature of the challenge itself as dangerous. If it is dangerous play i just think that widens massively the notion of dangerous play. Any sort of lunging challenge regardless of whether the ball is got rather than the man becomes dangerous which is a major issue in a contact sport like football.

27 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

Think it’s about time somebody gives a shout out to Perraud for his performance today.

Not perfect by my god did he earn his spot today. Worked his ass off, got up and down the pitch, made so many challenges and almost always managed to leave a little something behind to shithouse them. Hopefully he’ll keep moving forwards and we’ll continue to have some balance down the flanks 

Yes Perraud is getting better...................but wtf dose Redmond and Elyounoussi bring to the team? baffling these 2 get game time absolutly no end product........

that said a well earned point  .

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Yes Perraud is getting better...................but wtf dose Redmond and Elyounoussi bring to the team? baffling these 2 get game time absolutly no end product........

•  

Redmond with 5 assists (8th in the league stats...) has been pretty decent lately, not a world beater but certainly an asset to the squad

Moj didn't play great today but didn't he just come back from Covid? Got a few good goals too this season, certainly better than Walcott or Djenepo

Edited by ButtikonSaint
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

•  

Redmond was invloved at both ends and provided the assist for our goal.

Agree about Elyounoussi though. He works hard but he's just not a PL player. Looks like he's wearing lead boots when he tries to sprint and he just doesn't have enough about him to really impact on games at all.

I can only assume there was some kind of injury/fitness issue that prompted Ralph to make the change at HT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ButtikonSaint said:

Redmond with 5 assists (8th in the league stats...) has been pretty decent lately, not a world beater but certainly an asset to the squad

Moj didn't play great today but didn't he just come back from Covid? Got some a few good goals too this season, certainly better than Walcott or Djenepo

I just don't think it was a game suited to Moi. Shame our options for 10 were so limited today.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

•  

Apart from Redmond’s assist and defensive work?

That was exhausting to watch, f**k knows what it was like to play in. A miraculous point really against a team that just didn't stop passing the ball, they always found an angle or a touch even in the tighest of area's. You have to be mentally on it as much as physically.

The goal was a great finish and KWP has threatened to do that many times, but the build up was equally as good. Really good football, switch of play, reverse pass, underlap etc. All top quality build up and an equally top quality finish.

We held them at arms length for most of the 1st half in the main, we were able to shut them off with a low block quite well I thought. The only area causing us some problems was our left side as that's where their pace was (Sterling), his open goal chance was because Redmond didn't follow him in and Perraud was dragged centrally. 

2nd half it was backs to the walls really, whilst we didn't get any noticeable possession we still should have scored a 2nd through Broja's header - it wouldn't have been ruled out. We play that high line for most free kicks we defend against and it really is a calamity waiting to happen, you need a front foot goalie to play that way really but we don't have that. That's not discrediting Forsters performance by the way, as it was his best in a Southampton shirt since the Koeman days.

Overall that's a result I didn't expect, I thought we'd cause them problems but I didn't see us collectively shutting them down as well as we did for 90mins. That was a proper team effort and it's never fair to choose a MOTM on these games really, but you can't look beyond Salisu. Giant. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

To me a glancing/raking blow like that might well be painful but i don't see the nature of the challenge itself as dangerous. If it is dangerous play i just think that widens massively the notion of dangerous play. Any sort of lunging challenge regardless of whether the ball is got rather than the man becomes dangerous which is a major issue in a contact sport like football.

I assume the word `dangerous' refers to danger of causing an injury, then what does that injury need to be? I don't know the current law, so just asking. When I played it was a yellow, but today, I think it's possibly touch and go. 

1 minute ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I know Lyanco wasn't on that long, but I didn't see him make any mistakes, I did see him make a few tackles and interceptions, AND I saw him make a decent cross from their goal line in the last ten minutes. He might just be a gem.

I love that he goes mental each time he makes a tackle... great spirit, still a rough gem though

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I assume the word `dangerous' refers to danger of causing an injury, then what does that injury need to be? I don't know the current law, so just asking. When I played it was a yellow, but today, I think it's possibly touch and go. 

You could easily go down a rabbit hole with a broad definition of dangerous which would be bad for the game. Players can get injured in all sorts of ways.

9 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I thought Stu was clearly going for the ball and then trying to pull out of it once he saw the defender. He could easily have been sent off, but I don't think he deserved it.

I thought it was a red card. No intent to harm from Armstrong but in todays rules I’m surprised he didn’t go. Ralph taking him off immediately and confirming it was to protect him also said a lot for me. Very glad var didn’t give it,nhs it l8kely may have made the difference.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Magnificent performance. 
We knew what we were going to face and stood up well. 
so many clubs and fans would be envious of us going unbeaten against city in a season. 
they would love it…we’ve done it. 
Salisu was a man mountain. 
Peraud was superb. 
I could go on giving plaudits to players….but Ralph got it right too. 

Romeo's cross field pass toKWP was sublime and lead to an excellent goal from KWP after good pull back from Redders

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Apart from Redmond’s assist and defensive work?

So one pass and a toenail interception..................never been the same sort of Redmond since THAT hands over the mouth chat with pep eh?.......still he must be something right in the managers scheme of things. Always seems to put his boot through the pass it seems to me, very frustrating just like Moi,very rarely an end product of sorts.

Just now, Roo1976 said:

So one pass and a toenail interception..................never been the same sort of Redmond since THAT hands over the mouth chat with pep eh?.......still he must be something right in the managers scheme of things. Always seems to put his boot through the pass it seems to me, very frustrating just like Moi,very rarely an end product of sorts.

He's got the highest number of assists out of anyone in our squad this season.

• Like 2

Enjoyed that. Could've been 3-0 up at half time had Broja not been offside twice. I don't know how close they were, but VAR didn't seem to take a look at either, so I'm guessing both calls were fairly concrete.

We didn't seem to be able to pass the ball too well today, seemed to try hitting it into space, but a Man City player usually found the ball first, but we defended very well and after his mistake last week Forster was very good, think that was up their with his performance against Arsenal away (I believe, where we won 1-0?).

In the stadium and from behind the goal, the De Bruyne penalty check looked clearly outside the box and even as though he took a dive, but they sure did have a good look at it. Will have to watch it back on the highlights. I thought the red card check was a bit of a surprise at the time too, though, and going from the posts on here we may have got away with one.

In recent weeks clubs (Leeds and Arsenal from what I've noticed) have been posting up stricter rules for pitch invaders, kids in particular. Today a kid gets on the pitch and gets Grealish's shirt, which possibly incited a number of muppets to then run on the pitch individually. In my time following Saints I've never seen so many individual pitch invaders, for a match of this stature. It wasn't a good showing from the stewards and it looked like the Man City fans were kicking off at the end, throwing punches. So, we'll see what happens from that.

But, going back to the players, we gave the runaway league leaders a game (again), taken two points from them this season. Maybe we should just play them every week to stop them walking to the title.

Hats off to all at the club once more.

Superb performance all around, with - unbelievably - chances to win it. Salisu was imperious throughout, but tremendous character and endeavour all around him. 

I feared red right away on the Armstrong tackle and I think we dodged a bullet there.

I never have been, and never will be, comfortable with Ralph's high line. It counts on three things - a poor delivery (10% chance with DeBruyne standing over the ball), an offside call (50%), and a keeper intervention (20% with Forster or McCarthy). I'd much rather take our chances with a deeper line and reliance on Salisu, Bednarek, Broja and Adams.

With another keeper we could have won the last two, and yes, I did see Forster's knee save from Sterling.

We had five players today who would not have looked out of place in a Top 6 side. I don't care if we don't splash big money on incoming players, as long as we make a solid effort to keep the ones we've got.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man City - Match Thread

16 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

You could easily go down a rabbit hole with a broad definition of dangerous which would be bad for the game. Players can get injured in all sorts of ways.

of course players can get injuries in all sorts of ways, but an opponent raking their studs down your thigh, is one that can be prevented. And isn't stopping bad fouls, that have the potential to cause injury, such as high raised boots with studs up, exactly what the law makers have been trying to do, by punishing them with reds?

I perhaps need to watch it again, but my instant reaction was it `could' well be a red from the ref or if not the VAR may ask him to have another look. I was obviously wrong.

great performance and nice to go undefeated v the champions this season.

So many great efforts today but Salisu was playing chess while everyone around him was on checkers still, he read sooooooo many moves correctly - 100% someone will start talking to him in the summer, a left footed CB like him would get in top teams.

Just a couple of passing comments, thought armstong and redders lost the ball sloppily in our half a fair bit and also Moi is not the out ball we are looking for as he's got the pace of a sumo wrestler.

The adjective that comes to mind first tonight is brave, you don't get anything from Citeh unless you are prepared to go toe to toe with them and we battled them from minute 1 to 96. Whisper it now but Salisu is looking like VVD Mk II but the whole team can take credit today with a display full of team spirit and to be unbeaten against the best team in the league by a country mile is testament to Ralph and his team.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2022 at 07:51, Saint86 said:

Don't think we should be afraid of city. We've shown in the past that we are more than capable of taking points of them, and we were robbed at the etihad earlier this season. Fancy that with a rocking St Mary's and a little bit of luck, we might have a Saints win incoming. At the very least I don't think we are going to lose. 

Prescient. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed the game save for one thing....too many non Saints supporters in the Kingsland. Also sat next to a most annoying person, which I think was the reason late on in the game, I suggested to the 4 people in front of me that in future they might do better in the away end. The got a bit arsey, but fail to realise that if much of the home seating is taken up by away supporters, its pretty crap for the atmosphere. And can't the club stop selling to away supporters? Had a Spurs fan next to me when they were in town

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

of course players can get injuries in all sorts of ways, but an opponent raking their studs down your thigh, is one that can be prevented. And isn't stopping bad fouls, that have the potential to cause injury, such as high raised boots with studs up, exactly what the law makers have been trying to do, by punishing them with reds?

I perhaps need to watch it again, but my instant reaction was it `could' well be a red from the ref or if not the VAR may ask him to have another look. I was obviously wrong.

Laportes thigh damage from Armstrongs challenge

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

We both thought that Armstrong hadn’t touched Laporte and that he was overreacting.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought he was lucky to just get a yellow. I don’t think there was any intention but it was reckless. At the end of the day VAR didn’t think it warranted a red so I’ll go with that but let’s just say I’m surprised