Transfer deadline day chat

Pilchards

29 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

£8M rumoured price. No real chance when competing against Liverpool. I expect they will look to loan him out next season or two to a premier league to build up his experience as still so young.

Fallen through - not going to Liverpool this window.

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And the window slams shut. 

And is locked by the security guard who wonders firstly, who left it open in the first place and secondly, why there's a Sky TV crew packing up in the car park. Time wasters.

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Did Newcastle panic buy anyone at the last minute? I was out at a gig so no idea what's going on.

They were desperately trying to entice people on footy forums to sign for them for millions. We looked for you, but then realised you'd have told them to get stuffed anyway. 😊

You missed nuffink.

• Like 2

Not too much action around the league, feel Spurs have done well with their 2 in 2 out. Conte will know about those players from his time in Serie A.

Didn't expect us to do much/anything. We shouldn't really be involved with the relegation fight after recent performances and spending money now won't make us challenge for a Euro spot.

Glad we didn't get Alli, probably done less on the pitch in recent years than Redmond with better players around him. Wish we could see Everton drop with Newcastle this season but not likely :)

Newcastle's signings are meh, might help them stay up but a decent wedge of money spent on nothing. The Brazilian guy looks good on paper but lets see if he can adapt.

Ross Wilson used to be with us if I remember rightly.

Does anyone know who we have as his replacement, is it Semmens?

This is Ramsey talking about joining Rangers.

‘I have had some fantastic conversations with the manager and Ross Wilson, and I’m really looking forward to working with both of them, and to meeting the supporters.’

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

‘I have had some fantastic conversations with the manager and Ross Wilson, and I’m really looking forward to working with both of them, and to meeting the supporters.’

Sadly, yes, he did use to work with us. He should be strung up for crimes against transfers due to the mess he left us in.

I'd say Matt Crocker has largely taken up his role as DoF, but Matt, Martin and the other Martyn work quite closely together to be honest.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Yes Ross Wilson was our transfer guru. He has a long a success track record with incredible transfer deals with the highlight being selling Scott Arnfield to Huddersfield whilst at Falkirk, details can be found below.

The Ross Wilson art of the deal that launched Rangers star Scott Arfield's career and hints at transfer grand plan - Daily Record

His arrival was greeted with fanfare when he turned up at Rangers, a true master of his craft.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

It feels like we signed Mike Ashley

Suits me Ashley spent fortune at Newcastle.

I think at the moment it’s a wait and see after summer window.

I was disappointed that we didn’t use the extra loan to look at someone but get if that player not available then no use just for sake.

It also shows a bit of faith in current squad and didn’t risk upsetting that team spirit we have at moment also shows fans that our owner isn’t going to throw money around and resets that expectation.

A big summer and test the management in transfers and contracts coming up.

49 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not quite sure of the situation at Bournemouth, but from the outside in, have they gambled on promotion?  Certainly no excuses for not going up with the signings they've made

All in front of 9k fans !

Edit ..less than 9k for last home game 

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Fabio Carvahlo deal off. Didn't happen in time.

Could still be Liverpool bound long-term, but he'll be on the open market now.

Wasn’t he on the open market before? 😉

My bro who is a Fulham supporter says that they were arguing about the loan back and when Liverpool finally agreed to it it was too late to get the paperwork through. Why on earth would you leave something so late? Apparently they had been interested in him for a while so it is odd that they didn’t tie up the deal earlier. Still expected to go there in the summer though. Looks like a quality player, shame we didn’t pick him up last season if the rumours that we were interested in him were true. Liverpool seem to have leant their lesson though, cut out the middle man and save yourselves a fortune by buying early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

My bro who is a Fulham supporter says that they were arguing about the loan back and when Liverpool finally agreed to it it was too late to get the paperwork through. Why on earth would you leave something so late? Apparently they had been interested in him for a while so it is odd that they didn’t tie up the deal earlier. Still expected to go there in the summer though. Looks like a quality player, shame we didn’t pick him up last season if the rumours that we were interested in him were true. Liverpool seem to have leant their lesson though, cut out the middle man and save yourselves a fortune by buying early.

It only saves them a fortune if they actually play him which means that one of their established players is on the bench and if they have a talented kid coming through then their pathway is blocked.  Liverpool have Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones - neither are first team players and signing Carvalho will hamper their chances of first team football and developing as players.  If Carvalho is going as a first team player then fair enough but if he isn't then it's to his own detriment - he'll end up like Loftus-Cheek with the occasional appearance, some loan spells and eventually drift off to lesser clubs.  Sessegnon is another example - he played 10 times for Spurs in his first season and has failed to live up to his early promise.  Would he have been better going to a club with less resources and less competition?  Who knows but I think he would have been a better player if he had.     

• Like 3

Not overly-concerned,  although a few of the " would-be deals " we were linked with would have been interesting.

Although we have lacked some consistency in the Prem.  Ralph does have a fairly good  squad and  a few youngsters

on the way up.    I think a lot will happen in the transfer market in May.   More than a few names will disappear and 

some of the "would-be " deals that didn't happen this time around  might pop-up again. 

I'm not worried about Newcastle's signings really. The media are praising them for what an excellent job they've done adding to the side, but really, from a Saints perspective, there's not much there to worry about. Solid but unspectacular perhaps. Targett - we already know his weaknesses, there's a reason Villa have upgraded. Burn? Again has weaknesses and played a fair amount at left back for Brighton. Wood? Well he's hardly set the goalscoring charts aflame, and in effect they've paid a lot of money for a 30 year old, less good 'Che Adams'. I will say that Trippier represents a decent signing and good value for money, and I've read good things about Guimaraes (Will he settle quick enough? Also I've read he refused a relegation clause...), but the other 3? They don't worry me. Height is what they've improved on - if anything they'll be more of a threat from long balls and set pieces.

Saints should still have enough to beat them in the rearranged fixture. There, I said it. 🙂

Oh, and I definitely think it's wise we didn't spunk money this window when we don't need it. I'd have liked a loanee AM but I guess wer'd be blocking the pathways of Smallbone, Chauke, and any other youngsters that fancy themselves on the big stage.

Newcastle ended the month with 28 senior players, the only issue is that three of them can't be registered, so some are going to become unhappy. Although, I guess they didn't have enough players a few weeks back! Their only signing that I'm envious of is Guimares. Trippier, we have two better full-backs, he was declining at the end of his Tottenham career. See his Wiki: "Trippier made his first start in the 2018–19 season in the game against Fulham, and scored his first goal of the season from a free kick. However, it was generally considered that he had a disappointing season, after suffering from a series of minor injuries, as well as having committed a number of defensive errors. In a match against rivals Chelsea, he scored an own goal, in an attempt to pass the ball to goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. His goal made the scoreline 2–0 to Chelsea, which was also the final result of the game. He left Tottenham at the end of the season, having made 114 appearances for the club in all competitions." Wood's a system player, suits Burnley, but doesn't suit Eddie Howe. Burn's a less exotic Vestergaard and Targett's a 6/10 player.

Carvalho is unfortunately Liverpool's. A really good youngster. He'll be there at the end of a season for a tribunal fee, which could work out cheaper than yesterday's price. He's not Liverpool level yet, a bit too inconsistent and has flaws, but he would have got plenty of game time here, if the rumours of our interest were true. Maybe Liverpool are learning that it's better to get them young and for less than £10m, rather than wait a few years, give them Premier League experience elsewhere and then sign them for £40m+.

Ross Wilson and Rangers. We know that we were financially negligent under Wilson (and Reed), spending large transfer fees on the "unsellables" and putting them on large contracts to boot without any real strategy, or plan. It has taken years to sort out and that was with the Premier League income. Now, one of the statement signings yesterday was a 31-year-old Aaron Ramsey from Juventus on loan. The days of these types of players heading up to Scotland these days is unheard of, because there isn't any money up there. Plus, Rangers have only recently recovered/reformed from their own financial woes. I just can't see how his wages are sustainable up there and alongside Ramsey, they also signed Amad Diallo on loan from Manchester United last week. He was a £37m signing for United just last year and was most probably put on a contract ranging from £50k-£70k. So, he wouldn't have been a cheap deal either. Seems like Wilson is playing the old Football Manager again and trying to make statement signings, rather than following a strategic plan. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for Rangers in the long-term, but they have essentially splashed out on two big loans.

7 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

have Liverpool pulled a fast one/clever trick? 

Have `serious' negotiations with Fulham on the last day of the window. Everyone else (like us for example) is blown out the water, as the player is not going to sign when Liverpool are at the table, but the deal falls though at the 11th hour, which means, LFC don't get him, but nor does anyone else.

...and then come the summer they can pick him, this time for free!

Probably lots of hole in my theory, like they risk Chelsea or Man City stealing him, but if LFC have shown all the interest, then the player is half way there already.

I was wondering who would would have to go from Newcastle as they brought in as many players as they could find. I trust it will be Howe who meets with them to tell them the club wants rid of them. If it were the owner, it could get ugly.

There's that moment where ou see loads of new players going into a club,. But HarvSFC AND SNSUN are right. I'd not really have had any of them. I don't know much about Guimares, to be honest, so not much point having player envy there either. 🙂

The Rangers / Ross County game was pretty dismal (although I did only see 60mins and  I did miss every one of Rangers goals). If they can clinch the title, and haven't thrown silly money on loan fees/ wages, then they will consider it job done. The additional quality these two should bring, may make all the difference, while they adopt a more lasting strategy in parallel. A bit like us maybe having been interested in a game changer in the window, while looking to get top youth talent in at other times.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Have `serious' negotiations with Fulham on the last day of the window. Everyone else (like us for example) is blown out the water, as the player is not going to sign when Liverpool are at the table, but the deal falls though at the 11th hour, which means, LFC don't get him, but nor does anyone else.

Probably lots of hole in my theory, like they risk Chelsea or Man City stealing him, but if LFC have shown all the interest, then the player is half way there already.

He won't be entirely free. I think Liverpool have to pay a compensation fee which is agreed separately at a tribunal. 

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

And have the hub caps of your pride and joy - fookin scally’s