Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Seems slightly strange that we were willing to spend north of £25m on a player that is only deemed good enough to go out on loan to the championship. I guess he will get more games, but I kind of expected him to subsequently be loaned to a Prem side, unless of course none are interested in taking  him on loan.

I imagine we weren't willing to just take him on loan for a year with no chance of buying him outright - most other clubs probably feel the same.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Seems slightly strange that we were willing to spend north of £25m on a player that is only deemed good enough to go out on loan to the championship. I guess he will get more games, but I kind of expected him to subsequently be loaned to a Prem side, unless of course none are interested in taking  him on loan.

Gut feeling is that we thought he’d be a good investment at £15m odd, but not necessarily for this season. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Gut feeling is that we thought he’d be a good investment at £15m odd, but not necessarily for this season. 

yeah, its the £25m-30m figure that was bandied about that throws me a little. It just seems too high a price for a player without any games under his belt, so its maybe not accurate, but if it was, then we must see him as being bloody amazing and thus we'd go for the loan even without an option to buy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

I heard City didn't want to loan him to us as they see us as too much of a threat. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Probably just being too optimistic but I can only think if -IF- Delap chose Stoke over us it's because we weren't going to use him as a first choice striker, which would indicate we have someone better already lined up.

He didn't choose stoke over us. It's been well reported that we didn't want a loan and were only interested in buying him l. And city were unwilling to sell him this summer 

Edited by jayrivers
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Might imagine the medical was for Garner if Romeu stories are accurate - hope so, as a good replacement. With Broja and now Delap out who could the incoming striker be I wonder….hopefully a player who can the ground running (so to speak).

Why is Broja out? 

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Why is Broja out? 

I thought Chelsea were adamant he was in their plans and had been given a number etc, so unlikely he’d be coming to us. Plus reports that we didn’t want him anyway?  Don’t get me wrong, if we could find a way of buying him that would be good, but I can’t see that happening and don’t think a loan is ideal either.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I thought Chelsea were adamant he was in their plans and had been given a number etc, so unlikely he’d be coming to us. Plus reports that we didn’t want him anyway?  Don’t get me wrong, if we could find a way of buying him that would be good, but I can’t see that happening and don’t think a loan is ideal either.

He’ll go somewhere I think, just depends on when Chelsea bring in a striker. 

We want him, he wants to come, that doesn’t mean it happens. It’s a wait and see I think, with Everton probably trying to use him in the Gordon deal, assuming they’re not desperate for money for FFP reasons. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

He’ll go somewhere I think, just depends on when Chelsea bring in a striker. 

We want him, he wants to come, that doesn’t mean it happens. It’s a wait and see I think, with Everton probably trying to use him in the Gordon deal, assuming they’re not desperate for money for FFP reasons. 

Is that what you believe to be the case?

I'm an old Saints fan.....born to worry and fret.....it's in the DNA eh ! 😇

However, I am concerned with our inability, with 2 games gone now, to have not been able to get a striker in who could, just maybe, score  8-10 goals for us this season. 

From all the messages that came out from the club in the last 4 weeks, it was pretty clear to me that Delap was our first choice target as a loan with then an option to purchase. And now for many reasons, that has fallen through and he has signed a loan deal with Stoke.

The news on alternative options does not seem to be good. Maybe the club are playing a cunning,waiting game and will surprise us all with 2 weeks to go before the window closes. But knowing our club and their seeming ability to always disappoint us fans, I am starting to fret !

These are crucial games and weeks now. We have 1 point from 2 games . Early days I know but I do fear we will be in a catch up situation before too long. Sainst always seem to do this dont they. You hope that the long term planning and strategy has been discussed and planned all summer and by the season start we would have everything in place and we have a settled side and things are stable. But it never ever works out like that for our club does it !  Am I right in hearing Adam Blackmore say that we have only won the opening game of the season once in 14 years. Why is that ? 

And then factor in the continuing rumours about Adams and now Romeo departing. In my opinion we can ill afford to lose either. Anyone who attends matches reguarly know both have their strengths and weaknesses. But I like both and if they are let go , I am concerned about the lack of experience or resolve in the side.

Especially about Romeo. For all his slight slowness and maybe a hint last season that his legs were going, he is still the only bloke in the Saints side, in my opinion who.....and may I use a Dave Merrington here !.....gets stuck in ! He is the glue in our midfield.  Our mid-field enforcer if you will ! Certainly Diallo cannot do the job he does as he is too lightweight

And then factor in that the lot down the road have started well in Div 1. Is it too whimsical to factor in that this just might be the season that we go down and they come up and we are both in the same division again. What a nightmare that would be.

Apologies for the downbeat mood of this post but it is how I feel. And as I said, being a Saints fab for over 70 years, it's just in my DNA now to always worry 😁  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

However, I am concerned with our inability, with 2 games gone now, to have not been able to get a striker in who could, just maybe, score  8-10 goals for us this season. 

From all the messages that came out from the club in the last 4 weeks, it was pretty clear to me that Delap was our first choice target as a loan with then an option to purchase. And now for many reasons, that has fallen through and he has signed a loan deal with Stoke.

The news on alternative options does not seem to be good. Maybe the club are playing a cunning,waiting game and will surprise us all with 2 weeks to go before the window closes. But knowing our club and their seeming ability to always disappoint us fans, I am starting to fret !

These are crucial games and weeks now. We have 1 point from 2 games . Early days I know but I do fear we will be in a catch up situation before too long. Sainst always seem to do this dont they. You hope that the long term planning and strategy has been discussed and planned all summer and by the season start we would have everything in place and we have a settled side and things are stable. But it never ever works out like that for our club does it !  Am I right in hearing Adam Blackmore say that we have only won the opening game of the season once in 14 years. Why is that ? 

And then factor in the continuing rumours about Adams and now Romeo departing. In my opinion we can ill afford to lose either. Anyone who attends matches reguarly know both have their strengths and weaknesses. But I like both and if they are let go , I am concerned about the lack of experience or resolve in the side.

Especially about Romeo. For all his slight slowness and maybe a hint last season that his legs were going, he is still the only bloke in the Saints side, in my opinion who.....and may I use a Dave Merrington here !.....gets stuck in ! He is the glue in our midfield.  Our mid-field enforcer if you will ! Certainly Diallo cannot do the job he does as he is too lightweight

And then factor in that the lot down the road have started well in Div 1. Is it too whimsical to factor in that this just might be the season that we go down and they come up and we are both in the same division again. What a nightmare that would be.

Apologies for the downbeat mood of this post but it is how I feel. And as I said, being a Saints fab for over 70 years, it's just in my DNA now to always worry 😁  

I think once Mara and Aribo start getting some regular playing minutes they will soon find their feet and hopefully start scoring goals. Aribo looks brilliant from what I've seen of him so far and I don't see why he can't chip in with 8-10 goals this season. 

• Like 1

Decided to have a go at the Saints version of this, after the United one on MNF and having seen a few clubs ones bounce around today.

Boufal, Elyounoussi and Vestergaard felt a bit harsh to put into Red. Probably got £1m of joy out of Cuco from the Arsenal goal as well (fees are from Transfermarkt, a few don't seem accurate to me either before I get MLG'd).

Che and Gabbiadini could probably swap places too, but the cup final means the latter has to be where he is for me.

Bednarek is probably technically green given the fee and the amount of service he's given, but I couldn't put him there.

Anything glaringly wrong? Left out this years for obvious reasons.

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 14.57.57.png

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Gordon being valued at £45m + and Broja being valued at circa £30m baffles me.

For me Broja has too many weaknesses to be worth £30m. His strengths have been nuetralised as premier league defences became more aware of him. To an extent this happens to all young players and how they overcome it decides what value player they are. He may become a £30m player or more or maybe not.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

Great post, Francis - I hope we hear more from you in the weeks, months and years ahead!

Honestly, while failing to sign a striker this window would obviously be a massive pain, I think the signing of a central defender is more crucial. With the likes of Aribo and Mara looking so bright from the little we've seen, I would hope that they, along with what we've already got, might just be enough to see us through to January, when our recruitment team can have another crack.

Still, there's two weeks left in this window - plenty of time to get something done. And you'd hope the board will have planned for this outcome, right...

10 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Decided to have a go at the Saints version of this, after the United one on MNF and having seen a few clubs ones bounce around today.

Boufal, Elyounoussi and Vestergaard felt a bit harsh to put into Red. Probably got £1m of joy out of Cuco from the Arsenal goal as well (fees are from Transfermarkt, a few don't seem accurate to me either before I get MLG'd).

Che and Gabbiadini could probably swap places too, but the cup final means the latter has to be where he is for me.

Bednarek is probably technically green given the fee and the amount of service he's given, but I couldn't put him there.

Think Redmond is probably green for what we’ve got from him over six years. Gabbiadini is far too high despite the cup final 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I'm afraid it may have already left the station.

Trains leave stations, boats leave ports 😉 (saved you some obvious vetting from the site's favourite fat controller)

It is not uncommon for Ralph's train to be half empty when it leaves the Window station. One reason for that is he never reveals the destination.

15 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Total rubbish

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don't really get why Cuco is in red, he was excellent value for money. Also don't really see feel Lyanco should be red.

• Like 3

Just now, Appy said:

Think Redmond is probably green for what we’ve got from him over six years. Gabbiadini is far too high despite the cup final 

Yup. Gabbi is green, whilst Austin is red... yet Austin cost a lot less and scored more goals :D Whilst Gabbi got loaned out when we couldn't sell him.

Too early to put Salisu in the green column, he missed his entire first season basically, and hasn't yet played 1 season's worth of matches for us. Within that he's shown great promise and some spectacular errors. So amber for me, but i think he'll be green by the end of this season.

Bednarek is a in amber is probably about right given what we paid for him and how he's become a mainstay Centre back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yup. Gabbi is green, whilst Austin is red... yet Austin cost a lot less and scored more goals :D Whilst Gabbi got loaned out when we couldn't sell him.

Too early to put Salisu in the green column, he missed his entire first season basically, and hasn't yet played 1 season's worth of matches for us. Within that he's shown great promise and some spectacular errors. So amber for me, but i think he'll be green by the end of this season.

Bednarek is a in amber is probably about right given what we paid for him and how he's become a mainstay Centre back.

Austin is a complete cock though so I didn’t fancy having him any higher.

I do agree about Gabbiadini, but it’s probably one of the highlights of our last decade so it’s easy to remember him more fondly than he should be.

Cuco in Amber due to the cost/value would probably be fair but he was pretty terrible. Also agree that Redmond could easily be green.

Anyway, I won't keep replying as people are going to log in after work and think something's actually happened. Thought it was interesting to do though.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

And this has what to do with the 2022 transfer window? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If Broja is now worth 30mil then imagine what that 30mil would get you for a striker abroad.

This last 1.5 weeks is where hero's are made, players who would of said no earlier in the window are suddenly more amiable to move now, clubs that were quoting high prices for players who they thought they could sell easily will now be worrying a bit and dropping prices to generate interest - especially those with 1 yr on their contracts.

Live pic of Joe Shields preparing.

learning languages GIF by CBS

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Benfica away to Dynamo Kiev tonight in their CL qualifying for those that want to check him out.

Benfica forum only mentioning wolves or newcastle but they probably know as much as us and apparently Forest had a bid of 26m turned down.

Fucking hell - whoever is doing forest's transfers needs to be poached by Man U cos they are smashing it.

Edited by Convict Colony

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Probably just being too optimistic but I can only think if -IF- Delap chose Stoke over us it's because we weren't going to use him as a first choice striker, which would indicate we have someone better already lined up.

I saw that his dad is on the coaching staff, so no doubt he would be getting his ear bent when he came in for dinner after kicking the ball around with his mates.

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

I believe he has contacts at the club. No idea if this is true though. 

He said the deal for Svanberg was done so I expect his club contact pours half time pints

• Like 1
  • Haha 7