Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, DT said:

Come on Liam. You could be our best ever Delap

If we are a happy to loan him, we seem to be a good option. The Broja loan - lots of games, did well - must play in our favour, not to mention the strong City link with players and head scout.

• Like 1

Can’t see either CHO or Delap happening (for many reasons) but primarily because neither would come with an option to buy (by looks if it). After we got burned on Broja, I can’t see us doing that again unless it’s a last minute too good to turn down opportunity.

Edited by ErwinK1961

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Would have thought he could commute from London rather than move to soton. (Thought we had players do that before?)

If he live west of West London then certainly could. I suspect the club still has flats in Ocean village he can rent/use during the week.

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Can’t see either CHO or Delap happening (for many reasons) but primarily because neither would come with an option to buy (by looks if it). After we got burned on Broja, I can’t see us doing that again unless it’s a last minute too good to turn down opportunity.

You might be right. We want to bring talent here, and then reap the benefits ourselves. I guess if there is no other option we might consider it.

Not sure if we are still looking at fullback, but the Livramento injury might force our hand a little in terms of utilising the loan market.

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Don't think there's much in this one.  Apparently Benfica want to wait until a champions league play off next week before any sale and they've already turned down a 26M bid from (surprise, surprise) Forest.  Seems like any successful bid will be around the 30-33M mark.  I suppose the club not wanting to sell before a champions league play off could explain a delay in either this or another striker signing.

Anyway, looks alright on YouTube and seems to be pretty good in the air which is something I hope we address with whoever comes in - haven't had a decent aerial presence since Pelle and with the quality of JWP crosses it's something I hope we can benefit from this season.

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

But given how is loan panned out and his performances after Xmas, do you think we would have taken up the option to buy if he had one? I guess ultimately depends on what the price was, but not sure they were too impressed with him over the 2nd half of the season. 

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I don't see the point of delap loan. We've already got our own developmental striker. Surely we'll want somebody with at least some first team experience.

Hudson-odoi, is slightly different. Short term high quality. Concern would be how high a loan fee might be.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Anyone who thinks Newcastle is a shithole vs Southampton needs to get out more.

Southampton is a fucking toilet lads.

The main advantage for potential players for us is they can live somewhere else very easily which is not quite as true for the North East (although some still commute regardless).

I wasn’t expecting him to buy a bedsit in Northam estate tbh

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

But given how is loan panned out and his performances after Xmas, do you think we would have taken up the option to buy if he had one? I guess ultimately depends on what the price was, but not sure they were too impressed with him over the 2nd half of the season. 

Yeah it’s a fair point, however I guess it would have depended on the price. Plus would his form have dipped as much if there was a chance of him being here long term? Who knows.

Plus Saint Garretts info suggests both sides still would be happy with a deal.. so who knows.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

how the mighty have fallen, not long ago he was the future of English football and wanted by Real Madrid.

Guess he's happy with the ££s he has in the bank and just wants an easy life now.

Fine if that's what he wants. Can't help thinking it's a waste of talent though. The wanker.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The main advantage for potential players for us is they can live somewhere else very easily which is not quite as true for the North East (although some still commute regardless).

They're both just awful

There is an incoming but not a player and not tomorrow....

Cheltenham Town Under-18s coach Pete Haynes will leave to join Southampton's academy next month.

The 27-year-old has been the Robins' lead professional development phase coach since 2017.

Haynes was in Cheltenham's academy as a player from Under-14s to Under-16s and has been coaching within the club since.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Has anyone else’s career nose-dived so quickly? Because he was bloody good.

One I can think of is Michael Owen, his career effectively finished when he was 25/26. He got European Player of the year when he was 19/20, he was going to be a superstar. I'd say injuries finished him though, same as Wiltshire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

One I can think of is Michael Owen, his career effectively finished when he was 25/26. He got European Player of the year when he was 19/20, he was going to be a superstar. I'd say injuries finished him though, same as Wiltshire.

I’m saying this without checking stats - But Stan Collymore? 

Edited by SuperSAINT

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Has anyone else’s career nose-dived so quickly? Because he was bloody good.

Michael Branch is one that springs to mind.

You could argue Osvaldo’s career probably didn’t turn out the way he expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

It really isn't a "fucking toilet" at all. 

There's obviously better cities but also many, many worse. 

Seems like hardly any Premier League footballers live in their cities anyway. Even the Chelsea lot who could live in the poshest part of London end up in Surrey because it's where they train.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It really isn't a "fucking toilet" at all. 

There's obviously better cities but also many, many worse. 

Seems like hardly any Premier League footballers live in their cities anyway. Even the Chelsea lot who could live in the poshest part of London end up in Surrey because it's where they train.

Most of the Southampton lads live out Winchester way, or even the Hampshire/Surrey border (I think that's where Bertrand lived anyway).

I think the accommodation in Ocean Village is just 'temporary' for either loans or new players who are yet to find a place.

Lots of really nice places to live around Southampton to be honest, on the doorstep to lots of things. At least they're not stuck in Manchester.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

The current Toon squad all live in ex-council maisonettes just outside Garforth I've heard.

Think they'd be a bit pissed off with that, especially the commute from Leeds every day.

You might have meant Gosforth, which from my time up there was a pretty decent suburb on the outskirts, with the racecourse, and at the time (1980's), two decent rugby clubs there (before Sir John Hall got involved to hijack the club).

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Casemiro, you have to laugh! They couldn't attract De Jong or seemingly Rabiot, so they have put out the fluff line to appease fans that they're looking at Casemiro. Probably as much chance of them signing Roy Keane back.

Just now, Suhari said:

Are players just taking the piss with their wage demands now, knowing Utd are disparate?

Funny if they can't get anyone. Or get someone like Ross Barkley.

It's a club without a strategy, you should have an idea about the interests of a player joining and their wage demands before you waste time on it! This is what scouting deps etc do for the months outside of the transfer window, then you start putting in the official bids when you can.

Utd just sound like they have done no prep what so ever, same as every transfer window I can remember them having in recent years. Like you said they end up with no one (after chasing De Jong all summer, and Sancho a few years ago) and panic on some crap like Igalho. 

I reckon we can give them McCarthy, Bednarek and Redmond on the final day for a combined £50m fee and they'd do it.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Francis Jeffers.

Berahino, who didn't ever recover from his failed move to Tottenham.

Two good ones. Jack Rodwell is another who’s career dived after moving to City, was a England player before that.

Danny Drinkwater’s crash was pretty spectacular too.

Edited by Saint Mikey

Anyone else get the feeling we don't really have a striker lined up and are probably doing what Man Utd are with central midfielders but without any media scrutiny?

A bit like two summers ago when we clearly needed a central midfielder, didn't get Sangare and then were linked with a flurry (Veermans one if I recall) before moving for Diallo who was clearly a way down our list just before the deadline.

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Anyone else get the feeling we don't really have a striker lined up and are probably doing what Man Utd are with central midfielders but without any media scrutiny?

A bit like two summers ago when we clearly needed a central midfielder, didn't get Sangare and then were linked with a flurry (Veermans one if I recall) before moving for Diallo who was clearly a way down our list just before the deadline.

Feels like we were all-in for Delap.

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I think you're referring to Sanagre, he opted for PSV and we got Diallo. Totally different profile of player though which was odd.

In all honesty I think we have quite a list of striker targets, some more realistic than others and some which will only come to fruition as the window draws to a close. My hunch is that we're being patient and waiting for the one we really want.

We're not going to leave ourselves without a striker, we know that will spell curtains for us.

Edited by S-Clarke

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

We were in for Delap and probably having to look elsewhere, it’s hardly as scattergun as United. 

4 hours ago, Saint_Ash said:

Mad that's he's only 26. Someone should be able to get some decent football out of him in the premier league. 

Na i think his billy big bollocks days look at me have fallen away.Done nothing special since last world cup and even then seemed distracted and going through the motions so to speak. Some become too rich too soon.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a club without a strategy, you should have an idea about the interests of a player joining and their wage demands before you waste time on it! This is what scouting deps etc do for the months outside of the transfer window, then you start putting in the official bids when you can.

Utd just sound like they have done no prep what so ever, same as every transfer window I can remember them having in recent years. Like you said they end up with no one (after chasing De Jong all summer, and Sancho a few years ago) and panic on some crap like Igalho. 

I reckon we can give them McCarthy, Bednarek and Redmond on the final day for a combined £50m fee and they'd do it.

Who cares its Man Utd, let em suffer.

• Like 3