Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Really enjoy watching him when he is on song. Hs been a very underrated Prem player. However, his form dropped off a cliff last year. Do you think his legs have gone or was it just one of those things and partly down to the struggle of the entire first team?

I think he’s a rhythm player. A run of games playing 90 minutes he flows like a river. It seems so easy for him and he sees the whole game. I love watching him play.

At times when I was at some games he was the only player I watched through the game a la that Zidane documentary.

Legs were never his strength but certainly is slowing down . A very hard man to replace and I for one will miss him far more than if JWP were sold , for example.

For some  of our fans it seems too easy to discard the essence of a team as a simple financial calculation.

Hope its not true.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Reminds me of David Bentley if anyone. Had bags of talent and played for Spurs at a young age but it all just fell apart for him.

He's admitted he didn't even like football. He was just good at it and as soon as he made enough money to set himself up for life, he quit. Fair play to him.

• Like 2

Talking of players dropping off there is a really good article in The Athletic on Michael Johnson - the promising Man City player.  Nothing like you think that he was Billy Big Bollocks but a lad really struggling with low self esteem and depression. Very good read

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

It really isn't a "fucking toilet" at all. 

There's obviously better cities but also many, many worse. 

Seems like hardly any Premier League footballers live in their cities anyway. Even the Chelsea lot who could live in the poshest part of London end up in Surrey because it's where they train.

Sorry mate, haven’t lived in Southampton since the 90’s but returned last year for a visit. Boy it is a toilet, sadly.

Seems like a student theme park with all the accompanying detritus. Doesn’t seem to have a soul anymore.

Don’t shoot the messenger. Just my observation.

ps adding as a caveat that Im only referring to the city centre

Edited by Warriorsaint

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Talking of players dropping off there is a really good article in The Athletic on Michael Johnson - the promising Man City player.  Nothing like you think that he was Billy Big Bollocks but a lad really struggling with low self esteem and depression. Very good read

Is that an old'ish article?  I read one a while back and it was really good.

Think I read another really good one on Ravel Morrison 

13 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Is that an old'ish article?  I read one a while back and it was really good.

Think I read another really good one on Ravel Morrison 

Yeah you are right. I didn’t notice it wasn’t recent. Bloody good article and seems to have turned out well for him. Refreshing take on life really although on surface looks like one of failed potential he has come out stronger.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 2

Jacob Tanswell has mentioned Ralph wanting an experienced premier league centre-back. Coady being the obvious archetype. 

Any suggestions for potential targets?

(I’m sure this will raise the Phil Jones debate) 

Edited by SuperSAINT

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Jacob Tanswell has mentioned Ralph wanting a man experienced premier league centre-back. Coady being the obvious archetype. 

Threw around some names on this the other day, few suggestions from everyone:

Rob Holding @ Arsenal

Jamal Lasselles @ Newcastle

Joe Gomez @ Liverpool (if he wants to be a regular with the world cup coming up)

Eric Bailly or Victor Lindelof @ Man Utd? (probably no chance with either, but if you think Varane, Martinez and Maguire are seemingly the first 3...there is an overload there)

Chabolah @ Chelsea

Tomkins @ Palace

Phil Jones @ Utd (hmmm)

Or we could push the boat out and sign Vestergaard from Leicester.!!!!!

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

I'm not fully convinced Hudson-Odoi is all that to be honest. Was great as a youngster and a lot was expected of him but has he really kicked on? He's never managed to hold down a regular place at Chelsea and Tuchel was pretty scathing of him after one particular game. He's only scored 4 goals in around 72 appearances in the Premier League. Some top clubs have been linked with him but none of them seem to want to commit to him. He had a fairly bad achilles injury so I wonder if he's hampered by that.  Just not sure he's what we need for the wages he'd want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I'm not fully convinced Hudson-Odoi is all that to be honest. Was great as a youngster and a lot was expected of him but has he really kicked on? He's never managed to hold down a regular place at Chelsea and Tuchel was pretty scathing of him after one particular game. He's only scored 4 goals in around 72 appearances in the Premier League. Some top clubs have been linked with him but none of them seem to want to commit to him. He had a fairly bad achilles injury so I wonder if he's hampered by that.  Just not sure he's what we need for the wages he'd want.

He had a horrible injury though, I think I've read some people say he lost all his 'explosive pace' from the back of that killer injury.

So he's possibly the lesser player than he was a few years ago, but still more than good enough for clubs like us. He'd be our best number 10 if he came here.

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Is our striker currently involved in champions league qualifiers?

I remember we bought two Scottish players from Celtic and Rangers who agreed to sell once they played those matches.

That striker we were linked to earlier (Ramos) plays for Benfica, and they play Dynamo Kyiv tomorrow.

I still reckon he'll end up at Wolves Portugal FC though.

Just now, Atlanta Saint said:

A bit like that kid from WBA a few years ago.....what was his name? He was supposedly a star in the making too.

Berahino. Missed out on his big move to Spurs wasn't it? Threw his toys out of the pram, banished to the reserves and never really seen since.

Released by Wednesday in the summer, currently floating around as a freebie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Rob Holding @ Arsenal

Joe Gomez @ Liverpool (if he wants to be a regular with the world cup coming up)

Eric Bailly or Victor Lindelof @ Man Utd? (probably no chance with either, but if you think Varane, Martinez and Maguire are seemingly the first 3...there is an overload there)

Chabolah @ Chelsea

Tomkins @ Palace

Phil Jones @ Utd (hmmm)

Cheers for the list.  Some interesting names on there. 

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Rob Holding @ Arsenal

Chabolah @ Chelsea

Tomkins @ Palace

Phil Jones @ Utd (hmmm)

Not necessarily my cup of tea, but Keane, Boly and Suyuncu are not getting games.

Sanchez at Spurs is another, and maybe more interesting.  

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not necessarily my cup of tea, but Keane, Boly and Suyuncu are not getting games.

I think Everton will need all the CB's they can get with Mina out for 2 months and Godfrey for a few months.

Sanchez is an interesting shout though, but he doesn't strike me as the profile of player we're missing (i.e an organiser type)

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Rob Holding @ Arsenal

Chabolah @ Chelsea

Tomkins @ Palace

Phil Jones @ Utd (hmmm)

Gomez is the pick of those but very injury prone. Then Lindelof, then Chalobah, then Holding in that order. 

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Sanchez yes please but linked with Milan. Soyuncu apparently not been as good as he was a couple of years ago according to Oeicester forum. Not sure about Boly but Everton fans think Keane is crap.

From a younger perspective but with Prem experience there’s Tanganga and Adarabioyo.

🚨 Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu ‘would like a change of scenery’ amid interest from Girona – currently, the 30-year-old would have to reduce his salary to facilitate any move #saintsfc @sport

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, DT said:

🚨 Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu ‘would like a change of scenery’ amid interest from Girona – currently, the 30-year-old would have to reduce his salary to facilitate any move #saintsfc @sport

My brother lives in Girona. He says Oriel played for a Catalan charity team in a match there over the summer. His neck of the woods. Can see there being something in it, sadly. 

Would imagine that player (possibly Orel Mangala who we have been linked with previously), has already moved.

Garner, if interest is correct would fit the bill.

A tough position to recruit for seeing as JWP plays 100% of available minutes when fit, plus we already have Lavia (who would be hard to shift from the team too) and Diallo. Any signing is probably going to spend a decent bit of time on the bench just like Diallo has.

Romeu has been a great signing and everyone would wish him well if he does leave. That said, more 'experience' out the door and one of the few of those type who actually plays. Would leave a big gap IMO.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Would imagine that player (possibly Orel Mangala who we have been linked with previously), has already moved.

Garner, if interest is correct would fit the bill.

A tough position to recruit for seeing as JWP plays 100% of available minutes when fit, plus we already have Lavia (who would be hard to shift from the team too) and Diallo. Any signing is probably going to spend a decent bit of time on the bench just like Diallo has.

Romeu has been a great signing and everyone would wish him well if he does leave. That said, more 'experience' out the door and one of the few of those type who actually plays. Would leave a big gap IMO.

Couldn’t have been Mangala since he only played 72 Bundesliga games but you could be right that the player has already moved. Santiago Ascacíbar fits the description perfectly and has moved to the Serie A. Elvis Rexhbecaj is another one. 

56 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

My brother lives in Girona. He says Oriel played for a Catalan charity team in a match there over the summer. His neck of the woods. Can see there being something in it, sadly. 

I wouldn’t be against it personally. As good as he is at what he does, he has always limited the way we play by not exactly being the most mobile player, especially with the ball at his feet.

6 hours ago, Chez said:

Do we see movement? A lot of signings just `happen'. We seen quite a few links to strikers in the last day or so, all be it, they could be complete bollocks.

I was thinking movement meaning talks progressing or similar…don’t think there’s been anything concrete really…just SFC monitoring or similar speculation.

Romeu moving I can see having legs. Isn’t he from that area and his wife just had a child? Would make sense if he wants to return to his home country for the sake of his family. He strikes me as the kind of person though that could take it or leave it.

Adams I still don’t see leaving. I don’t see us selling to a relegation rival either and that’s the only level of team he’d go to; Forest, Everton etc.

3 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Michael Bridges. Had that one fantastic season for Leeds (scored a hattrick vs us) and then pretty much disappeared without a trace.

Didn’t he get a really bad injury? Think he did he knee and was never the same 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I've just read his wiki page. He had a serious injury in the champions league playing for Leeds, then a really choppy career ending with a recent management role for an Australian semi pro team. Makes you realise some of the lengths these players have to go to stay in the game after a set back. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

That hat trick was in the game where Mark Hughes scored but the ref said it had gone wide. Replays clearly showed it was a goal. If only we’d had VAR in ‘97….

1 hour ago, egg said:

I've just read his wiki page. He had a serious injury in the champions league playing for Leeds, then a really choppy career ending with a recent management role for an Australian semi pro team. Makes you realise some of the lengths these players have to go to stay in the game after a set back. 

I went to see Leeds v Coventry the season when Leeds were at their height in the late 90s. He was brilliant, best player on the pitch by a mile. Sad that a player that go gets effetively a career ending injury as such a young age. 

Im sure our very own David hirst was rated as highly as Alan Shearer then they were both young. However for him a couple of bad injuries and liking a beer too much, hence the nickname thirsty hirsty, meant the only way was down for him.

10 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Jacob Tanswell has mentioned Ralph wanting an experienced premier league centre-back. Coady being the obvious archetype. 

I really like Holding at Arsenal, I think he's achievable in getting here and despite a lot of people on this forum rubbishing the idea when I put it forward before, he was still the main centreback in their defence two seasons ago when they had the third best defensive record in the league. 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I really like Holding at Arsenal, I think he's achievable in getting here and despite a lot of people on this forum rubbishing the idea when I put it forward before, he was still the main centreback in their defence two seasons ago when they had the third best defensive record in the league. 

If he plays cricket, and we can get Caballero interested in a spot of willow on leather, there's a possibility for classic commentary.

For this reason - let's sign him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DT said:

Be a real shame. We seem to be completely disregarding the value of experienced pros. 

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I wouldn’t be against it personally. As good as he is at what he does, he has always limited the way we play by not exactly being the most mobile player, especially with the ball at his feet.

He almost never gave the ball away.

25 minutes ago, DT said:

Scrolling this thread looking for evidence of actual links to signings is getting a bit depressing. Might we miss the boat?

Was there much evidence of actual links to the players we HAVE signed before signing them?

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Possibly. He joined United in 1989 and his multiple sclerosis was discovered in 1996 and may have been the cause of his problems.

Unfortunately Multiple Sclerosis is one of those diseases that can be hidden for many years without being diagnosed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

That hat trick was in the game where Mark Hughes scored but the ref said it had gone wide. Replays clearly showed it was a goal. If only we’d had VAR in ‘97….

wow, forgot all about that, hit the advetising board so hard it came flying back out and the ref thought it had kit the post IIRC. What a cock up