Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Lol. He will go next year and good luck to him. 

100% yes he will go.

Would of gone this year if a champions league club came calling.

Why next season? because he wants to set himself up for life plus he knows the club won’t stand in his way if they get a sensible offer.

50 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

JWP will be here for life. 

I said it at the end of last season and will continue to say it now. I think we’ve got a guy that has pride and loyalty and wouldn’t sell out for a few extra quid in his wallet.

Cut out and keep folks

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Will be very interesting to see the next set of accounts. 

Certainly will, although to be fair, you need to look at activities over a two or three year period. Making a huge loss over one financial year looks bad, but if you sell a player for tens of millions shortly after the accounts come out, the financial situation is completely different. Personally I would be happy to see us continue to spend what we earn and debt be kept low in case we get relegated. £100m of debt feels high to me for a club of our size. 

Right now though, it seems we are at least gaining some assets. It would be brilliant if we could have a better tan 50% success rate with these young players we are bringing in. Lavia starting well is a real boost. Lets hope Mara flies too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

So Garner is possibly JWP’s replacement in 12 months, whereas Lavia is Oriol’s replacement now???

who knows, but you have to keep refreshing the squad and to cover that cost you need to sell a star now and then.

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

The £28m cash in bank left over from the `covid' loan was in the end of year accounts. So no maybe about it.

Thats the one thing I am unsure about - when the TV payments are made. Is it one lump sum in June or spread across the year? Key though is that this £100m+is already assigned to wages and operating costs for the forthcoming year, so even though we'd have a big sum in the bank, say in June, you can't just spend it all as you'd not have money left to pay wages ten months later. However, it would mean you wouldn't have cash flow problems in July/Aug when you are trying to buy players - so why have we used that excuse for missing out on players? I am guessing payments are spread across the year. The club probably made a decision not to spend on players until they were sure that another player sales was going through. The £28m has prevented that being a problem this year.

The interest on that loan/debt, which is now about £80m is about £7m a year and rising. So to stop the overall debt increasing in size we would need to pay at least that interest amount each year. We don't actually need to pay anything until year 5, but by then the loan/debt would be over £100m and the interest on that pushing £10m.

Some have suggested that the owners have paid the loan off. There is zero evidence of this.

You are right, any additional funds inserted (loaned) into the club by the owners on top of that existing loan could be provided at 0% interest rate should they choose. 

I thought I'd hears Semmens or Steele say the 80m loan was for cash flow because of covid, which I took to mean operational costs (salaries etc) and not investments (new players). 

Oh well, I guess we'll find out eventually. Maybe!

Just now, Chez said:

now that's a `go big or go home' transfer fee for a promoted club, assuming its accurate. I suspect the up front amount is a lot lower, but who knows.

That is the upfront fee apparently, Ornstein says £44.5m with add ons

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I thought I'd hears Semmens or Steele say the 80m loan was for cash flow because of covid, which I took to mean operational costs (salaries etc) and not investments (new players). 

Oh well, I guess we'll find out eventually. Maybe!

It was. But covid cash flow worries are long gone, and £28m was left unspent in teh bank when the takeover happened. You either pay that sum back to the bank or use it.  

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

NFFC obviously don't rate Garner to go back and buy him. Is he good enough for us then? Or I am just making 5 from 2+2?

I think Garner wasn't for sale when Forest asked earlier in the summer and they have signed one/two CMs since, so it might just be about timing.

Wow, £45m for Gibbs White, I get wowed by the transfer fees sometimes but that is mental money for someone with half a decent season in the championship. 

they’ve spent some serious money, and 16 new players and counting, in struggling to keep up. Have Maupay, Dennis and Aouar signed for them yet ? 

20 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

"He isn't a typical predatory striker, but is naturally fit and can play well in any kind of pressing system which suits his aggression and determination."

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/pt-liga-portugal/2021-11-who-is-goncalo-ramos-benficas-gem-wanted-bayern

I still remember various posters claiming Carillo's non scoring ability was amazing some how. I never figured out why

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Wow, £45m for Gibbs White, I get wowed by the transfer fees sometimes but that is mental money for someone with half a decent season in the championship. 

they’ve spent some serious money, and 16 new players and counting, in struggling to keep up. Have Maupay, Dennis and Aouar signed for them yet ? 

Dennis has signed for £15m. Aouar has agreed terms, they've just got to agree the fee - looking like £15-16m. Maupay, again agreed a £15m fee and just waiting for personal terms to be agreed.

That fee for MGW is ludicrous. They are pretty much gambling their immediate future on staying up this year.

12 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

No wonder that big fat Greek bloke that owns them kept doing the signing of the cross last weekend - if they go down with that investment/wage bill they're utterly screwed. 

Henderson and Lingard wages would not be carried over to the Championship, but others certainly would.

Marinakas. Hmmm. Not sure what to say about him. Best people google him.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Dennis has signed for £15m. Aouar has agreed terms, they've just got to agree the fee - looking like £15-16m. Maupay, again agreed a £15m fee and just waiting for personal terms to be agreed.

That fee for MGW is ludicrous. They are pretty much gambling their immediate future on staying up this year.

There’s talk Maupay could end up at Fulham now 

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

What a ridiculous fee to pay if true, and would explain how Wolves have funded their £38m purchase of Nunes. They’ve played a blinder. 

Kalvin Phillips went for £45m too right? I know contract expiry etc is different but whatever floats their boat I guess.

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

The idea of spending £20m on a third choice midfielder feels strange but maybe the club see it as investing in the future. 

If we get him then I reckon he'd start plenty of games. Let's remember Lavia is very inexperienced despite his two fine performances to date and there is talk of Oriel leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

The £28m cash in bank left over from the `covid' loan was in the end of year accounts. So no maybe about it.

Thats the one thing I am unsure about - when the TV payments are made. Is it one lump sum in June or spread across the year? Key though is that this £100m+is already assigned to wages and operating costs for the forthcoming year, so even though we'd have a big sum in the bank, say in June, you can't just spend it all as you'd not have money left to pay wages ten months later. However, it would mean you wouldn't have cash flow problems in July/Aug when you are trying to buy players - so why have we used that excuse for missing out on players? I am guessing payments are spread across the year. The club probably made a decision not to spend on players until they were sure that another player sales was going through. The £28m has prevented that being a problem this year.

The interest on that loan/debt, which is now about £80m is about £7m a year and rising. So to stop the overall debt increasing in size we would need to pay at least that interest amount each year. We don't actually need to pay anything until year 5, but by then the loan/debt would be over £100m and the interest on that pushing £10m.

Some have suggested that the owners have paid the loan off. There is zero evidence of this.

You are right, any additional funds inserted (loaned) into the club by the owners on top of that existing loan could be provided at 0% interest rate should they choose. 

I found this from 2020. Daily Mail though :eek:

Clubs are paid their TV money on a staggered basis over the course of the year, receiving one payment in August another around January and the third at the end of the season.

In anticipation of receiving the funds it is common practice for clubs, especially those outside the so-called top six, to borrow money to ensure they have a significant amount consistently in the bank while they wait for the three-times-a-season payments.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Joe Shields liking Ramos performance last night.

Screenshot_20220818-172412.jpg

Could this be what we've been missing in past transfer windows? Not enough engagement on Instagram 🤣😂

The medical is as good as booked.

• Like 1

Well £45m for a bang average midfielder with one years experience in a lower division is quite funny.

I would never wish financial oblivion to anyone but I do hope more and more for Forest to go down this season with the point being that cobbling together a group of average people with little motivation other than self-financial gain won't work. REF - See Fulham 2019.

As for the JWP comments, I just see him being Saints poster boy for his entire career, I think he only goes if we heavily flirt with relegation (by which I mean 16th/17th on the last day of the season or relegation from the Premier League).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Well £45m for a bang average midfielder with one years experience in a lower division is quite funny.

I would never wish financial oblivion to anyone but I do hope more and more for Forest to go down this season with the point being that cobbling together a group of average people with little motivation other than self-financial gain won't work. REF - See Fulham 2019.

As for the JWP comments, I just see him being Saints poster boy for his entire career, I think he only goes if we heavily flirt with relegation (by which I mean 16th/17th on the last day of the season or relegation from the Premier League).

That seems a little harsh on Forest.  Fair play to them - they're going for it and their fans have had to put up with shit for a while now.  I'm also pretty sure that all footballers are motivated by self interest (or mutual self interest).  I think most people outside of football are as well.......

• Like 2

Hmmm, yeah fair point. 

*Note to self: Don't go on SaintsWeb when working, you can't multitask!😂

Forest as a club I do like, way better than Burnley, Norwich etc being in the Premier League.
What I meant was there's having a go and then there's changing the entire dynamic of the squad. That core that got you promoted. It often doesn't work.
You could understand a team having a bit of a rebuild and signing six or seven players but you need to keep a number of them together. But sixteen is just beyond extortionate. It's also a tad reckless from a financial point of view, if it works out and they stay up I reckon they sign another ten plus players next summer. It's not a good model to work with.

Brentford, Sheffield United etc only made a few signings.

Fulham changed their entire squad and went back down; many other teams have done the same. Watford do it almost every window.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

NNFC obviously see something in him others don't.

They played them four times last season. He took them apart in the second play off leg. They have very first hand experience of his ability. Best player on the pitch. Why would you not want to sign him if he is better than all your own players?

I felt the same about Zaha when we played Palace in the Championship all those years back. Head and shoulders the best player, and we basically played two players on him to negate him. The prices were different, he went for £15m to united, but its relative. If you see talent, you have to back your eye. I think we tried to signing him but just didn't have the funds.

In the end he's cost them £25m. Which is standard for the best Championship players these days. The extra £7-10m will depend on him being successful in the Prem and the stuff on top will be about Forest making Europe/him winning stuff. 

• Like 1