Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

7 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

OK.

Current era, then. James Milner is 37.

That bloke is a machine, and doesn't predominantly play at full back. In fact, he barely plays at all. Vertonghen ain't our solution at LB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Verthongen is predominately a left-sided CB.

Who can also play LB.

Yep, but this little discussion flows from a comment about him playing LB for us. He's not our LB solution, and I doubt we'll sign another CB. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HnycS said:

"some sources" surely playing with house money if they believe that is an under valuation?

I'm sure he was available for £14m a few days ago. With the big clubs the value goes up with every speculation. When it's one of our players they get progressively cheaper. Almost like those stories are planted to affect negotiation...

This is a good article on Ramos from about 18 months ago if anyone wants to know a bit more about the type of player Ramos is: https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/goncalo-ramos-benficas-uefa-youth-league-ace-tactics

Basically the opposite to Che Adams.  Doesn't run around a great deal, doesn't dribble particularly well, doesn't tend to get involved in build up play much but finishes well and doesn't need too many touches to set himself up for a shot on goal.  Tends to outperform his xG for anyone interested in those kind of stats.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

This is a good article on Ramos from about 18 months ago if anyone wants to know a bit more about the type of player Ramos is: https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/goncalo-ramos-benficas-uefa-youth-league-ace-tactics

Basically the opposite to Che Adams.  Doesn't run around a great deal, doesn't dribble particularly well, doesn't tend to get involved in build up play much but finishes well and doesn't need too many touches to set himself up for a shot on goal.  Tends to outperform his xG for anyone interested in those kind of stats.

Gary lineker then 

• Haha 2

To conclude this tactical analysis piece in the form of a scout report, it’s clear that Ramos excels off the ball inside of the final third and excels as a first-time finisher. He possesses intelligent movement on and off the ball with which he can hurt the opposition.

However, he isn’t the finished article and there are some clear areas of improvement in his game on the ball, notably in terms of his dribbling and his passing.

We feel he can be very effective in a system that allows him to roam about the final third off the ball when the team is in possession and highlights his finishing quality, while also minimising his role on the ball, in the build-up.

30 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

If transfer silly season hadn't already arrived, it's definitely here now... 🤣
image.png.cb06f93d875985dc10a8627e91d6d549.png

That’d shake up our “son in law” recruitment policy, just need to get Suarez and Diego Costa in. I’m also wondering what sort of condition joey Barton is in if hcdajfu?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To conclude this tactical analysis piece in the form of a scout report, it’s clear that Ramos excels off the ball inside of the final third and excels as a first-time finisher. He possesses intelligent movement on and off the ball with which he can hurt the opposition.

However, he isn’t the finished article and there are some clear areas of improvement in his game on the ball, notably in terms of his dribbling and his passing.

We feel he can be very effective in a system that allows him to roam about the final third off the ball when the team is in possession and highlights his finishing quality, while also minimising his role on the ball, in the build-up.

Agree with many of the points you make CC, but I think that statement could be said about most of our new signings.....aside from Aribo .

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Not sure he's the complete opposite of Che.  Does Che run around a lot or dribble well? Che tends to shoot relatively early too, all be it only using his right peg. It says Ramos has a left peg too, so an obvious difference there, and maybe he's more clinical, but its a different league and maybe tougher chances. He's a bit taller,  and maybe offers a bit more arial threat?

The biggest takeaway for me was that he doesn't play with his back to goal. He's therefore not a `hold the ball up' kind of striker. So if he doesn't have electric pace ether, is he the guy we need? Perhaps finishing ability trumps all other facets, but we don't create a lot of chances.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure he's the complete opposite of Che.  Does Che run around a lot or dribble well? Che tends to shoot relatively early too, all be it only using his right peg. It says Ramos has a left peg too, so an obvious difference there, and maybe he's more clinical, but its a different league and maybe tougher chances. He's a bit taller,  and maybe offers a bit more arial threat?

The biggest takeaway for me was that he doesn't play with his back to goal. He's therefore not a `hold the ball up' kind of striker. So if he doesn't have electric pace ether, is he the guy we need? Perhaps finishing ability trumps all other facets, but we don't create a lot of chances.

I just watched his youtube video, and it paints a different picture. it loos like he dribbles pretty well, with some tricks and composure. He seems to be OK with his back to goal too, with quite a lot of nice turns. All the goals seem pretty basic fox in the box type. Not too many Ings type finishes where he creates space for himself and smashes it into the top corner. 

Youtube videos are not ideal, but not sure you can fully trust that article either.

Have to wonder. Why would a Benfica striker come to us. He could stay there, score 25 goals this season and then get a move to big club.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

It was just a general observation from me rather than something quite as specific.  Che is pretty good at pressing, hold up play but not so great at finishing whereas Ramos is a decent finisher and not so great in the other areas.

I checked up (warning, stats ahead) and we had an xG of 50.6 last season and scored 43 so from that point of view Ramos might be expected to improve that discrepancy.  Caveats to that are whether we persist in the 3/5 at the back and create less chances and, of course, lad will need to get to grips with the premier league so no guarantee he'll carry over his form if we did sign him. 

I'm not sure he would be the right choice either and definitely doesn't fit the criteria Ralph would normally apply when looking at strikers. 

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

It was just a general observation from me rather than something quite as specific.  Che is pretty good at pressing, hold up play but not so great at finishing whereas Ramos is a decent finisher and not so great in the other areas.

I checked up (warning, stats ahead) and we had an xG of 50.6 last season and scored 43 so from that point of view Ramos might be expected to improve that discrepancy.  Caveats to that are whether we persist in the 3/5 at the back and create less chances and, of course, lad will need to get to grips with the premier league so no guarantee he'll carry over his form if we did sign him. 

I'm not sure he would be the right choice either and definitely doesn't fit the criteria Ralph would normally apply when looking at strikers. 

When Ralph said difference maker, I took that as being a Broja type that could turn and then have the pace (and balls dribbling skills) to drive into areas and cause defenders problems. Nicolas Jackson seems to offer exactly that, and might be the one we are really after. he's raw and inexperienced though.

If difference maker was more  related to someone with top draw finishing, like Ings, scoring goals due to sharp control and finishing, then maybe Ramos is more the type - although his youtube video doesn't show that type of goal, just one touch six yard box goals. I struggle to see him coming to us though. Right age, but why make the move to SFC when a year later Athletico Madrid or suchlike might be an option.

Edited by Chez

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Right age, but why make the move to SFC when a year later Athletico Madrid or suchlike might be an option.

Because in a year if he has done well in the PL he could pretty much move to any of the top clubs here or in Europe.

Seems very clear we want him. Newcastle also mentioned but hopefully they will get Pedro - surely he will push to leave Watford if they keep turning down bids?

Then there is Wolves, but they just signed Guedes, although Lage used to coach Ramos and spoke to him earlier in the summer. Supposedly some financial issues so maybe the MGW cash covers Guedes and Nunes rather than being available to spend?

Everton worries me as they clearly need a striker and will be getting very desperate.

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Because in a year if he has done well in the PL he could pretty much move to any of the top clubs here or in Europe.

Seems very clear we want him. Newcastle also mentioned but hopefully they will get Pedro - surely he will push to leave Watford if they keep turning down bids?

Then there is Wolves, but they just signed Guedes, although Lage used to coach Ramos and spoke to him earlier in the summer. Supposedly some financial issues so maybe the MGW cash covers Guedes and Nunes rather than being available to spend?

Everton worries me as they clearly need a striker and will be getting very desperate.

Very much summons it up for me too.

It’s pretty obvious that he could be coming to us after the return leg next week. Will a club pay extra and demand that he joins ASAP?

Its such a worry that if any club comes in then it could be back to the drawing board again for our next striker.

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

a decent season for Benfica - which is much more likely as its easier to score goals for them than us - and he can get a move to a top club in Europe. I'd say a move to us has a risk to it. I guess we'd up his wages a fair bit though. Preferred Scamacca, but that ship has left the station. The way Nicolas Jackson ran past our defence attracts me to him, but this guy may be the one to acaully score goals. A new £25m striker certainly looks on the cards.

There is no scenario where i want to see Jan Vertonghen playing left wing back for saints. Talk of this is just mental to me.... can you even imagine him running up and down the wing? Let alone continuously...

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Purely from the YouTube videos, I'd say he was most comparable to Pelle of our strikers of recent history. 

Adams, Ramos, Mara and Armstrong seems a pretty good set of strikers for a club of our size to have for the season, hoping we don't sell Adams to facilitate this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

a decent season for Benfica - which is much more likely as its easier to score goals for them than us - and he can get a move to a top club in Europe. I'd say a move to us has a risk to it. I guess we'd up his wages a fair bit though. Preferred Scamacca, but that ship has left the station. The way Nicolas Jackson ran past our defence attracts me to him, but this guy may be the one to acaully score goals. A new £25m striker certainly looks on the cards.

I presume you are attracted to most attackers that play against us then.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Purely from the YouTube videos, I'd say he was most comparable to Pelle of our strikers of recent history. 

Adams, Ramos, Mara and Armstrong seems a pretty good set of strikers for a club of our size to have for the season, hoping we don't sell Adams to facilitate this.

Don't recall Pelle ever dribbling the ball like Ramos does in the Youtube videos, but the first time finishing in the box feels similar. Pelle had much more of a back to goal, target man presence. 

If we get Ramos, will the other three remain at the club?

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I presume you are attracted to most attackers that play against us then.

ha. Ones that do this certainly grab my eye. Very Broja-esque. I love a player that can create something out of absolutely nothing, even if the end result isnt always there.

2 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Let’s face it, we haven’t had an outright nutter up top since Dani Osvaldo. Bring it on. Again. 

There's Lyanco but he's a different type of nutter. Maybe more of an 'eccentric'. Same for Wanyama and his spaghetti/Paranormal Activity based tweets

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Is he as good as everyone is making out? Would he cope with the physicality of the Prem?

I know the name but couldn’t tell you anything else about him. Never seen him play etc.

Is everyone making him out to be that good? The reports from those that watched him during the week said he scored, which is obviously great but did fuck all else. Personally, I'd like to see more footage. However, he does seem to have some good attributes. Dribbles and seems to get in the danger area. First time finishing in the six yard box. 

If we have £30m to spare, we should have signed Scamacca. Bigger, stronger and a both threat in the air and on the ground. Liked his goal last night.

Ramos looks like a bigger Ings to me, similar sort of bustling running style, not lightening pace but good movement, always looking busy and alert in the box. First time finished with either foot as well. Also seems to have more about him in the air, continues the summer window MO of 6ft plus played as well. 

Considering we underperformed our XG by a good margin last year having someone who can take the chances we make efficiently seems like a good priority to me. 

• Like 2

With Sports Republic completing the Goztepe acquisition (70% of it), will Lis now go out on loan or do we think the McCarthy links were genuine and he will be the one to depart? Four keepers seems one too many.

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is everyone making him out to be that good? The reports from those that watched him during the week said he scored, which is obviously great but did fuck all else. Personally, I'd like to see more footage. However, he does seem to have some good attributes. Dribbles and seems to get in the danger area. First time finishing in the six yard box. 

If we have £30m to spare, we should have signed Scamacca. Bigger, stronger and a both threat in the air and on the ground. Liked his goal last night.

Scamacca was 40m euros so another step up

42 minutes ago, Chez said:

Scamacca definitely looks a better player than Ramos did in the hour I watched him but I've only seen clips of Scamacca so maybe not fair to judge on that basis. Plus Scamacca is probably a lot more expensive.

In terms of dribbling he didn't do any of that - might be decent but it wasn't on show.  He's got good movement and if we have players intelligent enough to pick him out then it could work out because we have far too many moves break down because we get to the edge of the box and then fail to quickly capitalise on it.  Someone like Ramos will probably be able to quickly get a shot off (bit like Ings in that respect).  He also seems to be good at general awareness of others around him. 

Benfica played him up front on his own but they had three directly behind him and at least one of those would always be relatively close to Ramos.  I don't think he'd be any good if we left him isolated as we've done a lot since we switched to a back 3.

Edited by revolution saint