Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Largest fee they have spent this summer is £5m to sign Torreira. They have spent about £20m in total and brought in £10m. Not flush with money as they finished 15th last season. They will want to loan him.

In all honesty, it would clearly be preferable to sell him but if a loan is what it takes to keep him away from the starting 11 then I'm totally up for that.

29 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

In all honesty, it would clearly be preferable to sell him but if a loan is what it takes to keep him away from the starting 11 then I'm totally up for that.

An outright sale would suit us better but I can see that there might be commercial reasons why another club might prefer a loan. A purchase would put the player on the  assets list and increase the capitalisation of the club with his value being amortised over the length of his contract. A loan goes straight against the overheads account, much the same as renting a photocopier would.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Out of interest… we’re apparently looking for an experienced premier league CB

I genuinely can’t think of any that are attainable and better then JB ?

Laughing emoji’s and a response that’s added nothing at all

Nice to see nobody has actually bothered to understand what Ive written and are just sat on the anti JB bandwagon

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Laughing emoji’s and a response that’s added nothing at all

Nice to see nobody has actually bothered to understand what Ive written and are just sat on the anti JB bandwagon

Rob Holding is one that would be available and would be an improvement on Bednarek, although if we're sticking with 4 at the back then he probably wouldn't come here unless he's displacing one of Salisu or ABK. Can't think of a dozen from the Prem but experience doesn't necessarily mean Premier League experience. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Rob Holding is one that would be available and would be an improvement on Bednarek, although if we're sticking with 4 at the back then he probably wouldn't come here unless he's displacing one of Salisu or ABK. Can't think of a dozen from the Prem but experience doesn't necessarily mean Premier League experience. 

I think we’ll go abroad yeah, theres a few available… Ive mentioned John brooks on a free before and think he can offer something but yeah

Other than Holding, Bailly or maybe Boly (not convinced Wolves will let Boly go and not sure Bailly’s current injury status) thats all I can think of

Im not convinced Holding is much better thsn JB anyway

Id much rather try to find someone from abroad if possible but there’s risk there

Personally Id just demote him to the understudy for ABK/Salisu unless we can get someone to upgrade on all 3

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 1

I’m not convinced we need a CB. Would be great but I don’t see us being desperate for one. Salisu and ABK will play most games. Lyanco, Valery and Stephens can probably fill in the odd game. Not sure we’ll be bringing in an experienced CB to sit on bench every week, and don’t see Sali or ABK being dropped. Obviously that changes is Stephens and Bednarek both go. IMO it depends on how much money we’ve got to spend, and whether we can afford an additional CB as well. 

• Like 4

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

I’m not convinced we need a CB. Would be great but I don’t see us being desperate for one. Salisu and ABK will play most games. Lyanco, Valery and Stephens can probably fill in the odd game. Not sure we’ll be bringing in an experienced CB to sit on bench every week, and don’t see Sali or ABK being dropped. Obviously that changes is Stephens and Bednarek both go. IMO it depends on how much money we’ve got to spend, and whether we can afford an additional CB as well. 

My thoughts too really, Im just going off of Tanswell’s words but ultimately I think its a position we have enough depth in.. I think ABK, Salisu, Bednarek, Lyanco is enough especially IF we have gone back to the 4 atb

That does change of course if we lose both JB/JS… and at that point Id like to see us bring in known quality if possible 

Realistically I think we need another 10, FB and a striker.. spending at CM/CB etc just isn’t necessary 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

My thoughts too really, Im just going off of Tanswell’s words but ultimately I think its a position we have enough depth in.. I think ABK, Salisu, Bednarek, Lyanco is enough especially IF we have gone back to the 4 atb

That does change of course if we lose both JB/JS… and at that point Id like to see us bring in known quality if possible 

Realistically I think we need another 10, FB and a striker.. spending at CM/CB etc just isn’t necessary 

I could certainly see something being done with Diallo or Romeu with Garner coming in, I think it’s pretty obvious that most of our funds will be spent on a striker. Other positions will depend on if we manage to get some money in for the ones on the way out. Problem is I can see a bunch of them out on loan on deadline day. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I could certainly see something being done with Diallo or Romeu with Garner coming in, I think it’s pretty obvious that most of our funds will be spent on a striker. Other positions will depend on if we manage to get some money in for the ones on the way out. Problem is I can see a bunch of them out on loan on deadline day. 

Yeah think so, I mean, if Garner is available then go for it, we’ve been ling term admirers and potentially Romeu wants a move back to Spain so it makes sense 

My point was if there is no movement in or out there this window its not the end of the world, we have cover

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Totally agree with this. The concern around CB seemed to be whether ABK was ready to step straight in as a reliable first choice. If he is - and on yesterday's showing he definitely looks like he is - then I think that's CB sorted. Lyanco and Stephens are perfectly adequate back-up to Salisu and ABK as the starting pair, with Valery as fifth choice for emergencies. Ship out Bednarek for a decent fee to reinvest elsewhere and job's a good 'un. 

Only reason I see we'd spend on another quality CB would be if we're going to persist with 3 CBs. So if we don't buy another, then that hopefully suggests the end of that experiment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think we have to be really careful here. ABK and Mara are both 20 and Lavia is 18. They look like outstanding talents but young players can lack the physical durability and mental fortitude that a gruelling PL season requires. We saw that with Tino. While I'm happy with our starting lineup I think we need to bear in mind that they're unlikely to be playing at their current standard all season - and we can't over-expose them, so we need to keep some older heads around. I hope we don't sell Adams, but if we let Romeu go we MUST sign Garner or someone similar; Diallo is too lightweight for me, and I'm still not sure what he's good at. There's also a good case for keeping Redmond, even if he's seldom a starter, and I have more faith in Lyanco than most on here. Selling Bednarek - not loaning him - could well be critical for the first half of our season.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

And what if Stephens goes to Watford as has been suggested? We're left with Lyanco and Valery as cover. God help us all.

We bring in a CB to start and increase the competition with Salisu and ABK. They're hardly going to feel under pressure to perform if you look at our backups. This thought process of bringing in squad fillers like Lyanco doesnt improve us. Improving our starting 11 improves the squad

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

And what if Stephens goes to Watford as has been suggested? We're left with Lyanco and Valery as cover. God help us all.

We bring in a CB to start and increase the competition with Salisu and ABK. They're hardly going to feel under pressure to perform if you look at our backups. This thought process of bringing in squad fillers like Lyanco doesnt improve us. Improving our starting 11 improves the squad

According to "Twitter ITK's"* the Jack Stephens sale is all but dead.

*ITK is probable bullshit.

5 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Out of interest… we’re apparently looking for an experienced premier league CB

I genuinely can’t think of any that are attainable and better then JB ?

You are spot on with this, but sadly too many people cannot see it! Bednarek has been our most consistent centre back for years and a lot of the blame that has been piled on him from last season is just wrong! I'm not saying that Bednarek was without error, but, as I have said numerous times on here, a fair number of the apparent shortcomings of Bednarek last season were actually situations where he was covering for the inadequacies of Salisu and others - not least Salisu's annoying tendency to think that he can play like a wing back and forage up the wing. It was no surprise on occasions that Bednarek was not able to stop goals when he was covering the roles of two or even three players asd well as his own defensive duties.

For me, Bednarek is better than Stephens, Lyanco or any of our other back-up centre backs and we would be foolish to let him go without other decent defensive recruits.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Notice that Broja wasn't involved in the Chelsea squad today which may say something although it seems our interest in him may have cooled,

Fairly sure Chelsea said the day before the game that Broja wouldn’t be involved due to a knock.

18 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Screenshot_20220821-175909_Twitter.jpg

Hard to be overly optimistic about getting him. He has a likely option of CL football at Benfica, who surely have no huge need to sell him.

Should he move there are at least three other teams desperate to sign a striker, all who pay bigger fees and wages than we do, one of whom has a huge portuguese influence. Some of those sides, Everton in particular, will be in full on panic mode as the end of the window approaches.

By all means be in the mix, but big risk of being strung along and ending up with nothing, especially as they won't do anything until after the 2nd leg this week.

Doesn't seem like the kind of transfer that is straightforward in any way.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hard to be overly optimistic about getting him. He has a likely option of CL football at Benfica, who surely have no huge need to sell him.

Should he move there are at least three other teams desperate to sign a striker, all who pay bigger fees and wages than we do, one of whom has a huge portuguese influence. Some of those sides, Everton in particular, will be in full on panic mode as the end of the window approaches.

By all means be in the mix, but big risk of being strung along and ending up with nothing, especially as they won't do anything until after the 2nd leg this week.

Doesn't seem like the kind of transfer that is straightforward in any way.

Benfica and Porto's transfers never appear to be straight forward. Their players are likely to be dual owned and the fees reported are not necessarily what is paid. The Fifaleaks papers reported huge discrepancies in reported fees and actual fees. I seem to recall Mangala's transfer fee being close to 15mil in leaked accounts but reported at nearer 60mil by the clubs media.

36 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Fairly sure Chelsea said the day before the game that Broja wouldn’t be involved due to a knock.

Was that about the same time they sealed the Aubameyang deal?

Broja wants to play some football, I still think he’ll leave Chelsea this window.  Whether that’s to us or not is a different discussion altogether though

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Was that about the same time they sealed the Aubameyang deal?

Broja wants to play some football, I still think he’ll leave Chelsea this window.  Whether that’s to us or not is a different discussion altogether though

I think I read it on fantasy scout website, they publish on Friday and he was down as out with a knock.

https://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/team-news/

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

You are spot on with this, but sadly too many people cannot see it! Bednarek has been our most consistent centre back for years and a lot of the blame that has been piled on him from last season is just wrong! I'm not saying that Bednarek was without error, but, as I have said numerous times on here, a fair number of the apparent shortcomings of Bednarek last season were actually situations where he was covering for the inadequacies of Salisu and others - not least Salisu's annoying tendency to think that he can play like a wing back and forage up the wing. It was no surprise on occasions that Bednarek was not able to stop goals when he was covering the roles of two or even three players asd well as his own defensive duties.

For me, Bednarek is better than Stephens, Lyanco or any of our other back-up centre backs and we would be foolish to let him go without other decent defensive recruits.

He's been a mainstay in a defence that has conceded 60+ goals in each of the last 3 seasons. He's slow, weak in the air, and is usually oblivious of the runs that attackers are making because he's ball-watching most of the time. 

We looked so much better defensively yesterday with ABK in his place. At no point did Leicester break our lines (except for a very poor sideways pass from Lavia) and get a clear chance. 

I really hope we never have to see him starting regularly ever again.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Yeah been saying for a while i don't see the pressing need for a CB this window.

We need to shed one (hopefully the useless bednarek , cmon villa you know you want to buy him) to just get down to last season's level.

Striker is the definite area we need another body. I'd love a new 10 with real pace too(though i'm guessing we'd need to shift numbers from there too)

I think we’ll sign Ramos and I think the deal was done a while ago with Benfica insisting on getting the champions league qualifier out the way. Harvey Vale will sign soon as will James Garner. We’ll get a right back on loan too.

Going out will be Redmond, Walcott, Romeu, Bednarek. Diallo will go out on loan. We won’t replace Bednarek and half the forum will be very annoyed about this.

All just guesswork on my part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I think we’ll sign Ramos and I think the deal was done a while ago with Benfica insisting on getting the champions league qualifier out the way. Harvey Vale will sign soon as will James Garner. We’ll get a right back on loan too.

Going out will be Redmond, Walcott, Romeu, Bednarek. Diallo will go out on loan. We won’t replace Bednarek and half the forum will be very annoyed about this.

All just guesswork on my part.

Why? We’ve already got a good RB, and hopefully Tino will make a full recovery. We don’t currently have a starting LB, who knows when Perraud will be back. And, last season, Ralph often preferred a right back playing at LB over Perraud.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Why? We’ve already got a good RB, and hopefully Tino will make a full recovery. We don’t currently have a starting LB, who knows when Perraud will be back. And, last season, Ralph often preferred a right back playing at LB over Perraud.

It’s guesswork on what I think will happen not why. I’m basing it on the rumours so far and Ralph saying we were looking at fullbacks. Got any further questions then go ask someone at the club.

• Like 1

Just now, revolution saint said:

It’s guesswork on what I think will happen not why. I’m basing it on the rumours so far and Ralph saying we were looking at fullbacks. Got any further questions then go ask someone at the club.

Thanks, Ill definitely do that 🤙

It would seem a bit daft IMO to get an RB over a LB, but it’s their choice and I’m sure they know what they’re doing.

Ten days to go and despite being linked with a number of players, none of the rumours seem to be very strong that we might sign those players - in most cases the players seem to have been linked with other clubs who would seem more likely to be successful in signing them.

Is this where Saints suddenly make a left-field signing (or several) completely out of the blue? I certainly hope so!!!

I Still want to see the following: 

A Big Target man Striker capable of getting on the end of Set pieces....  We need to go big record signing! ( Saša Kalajdžić, Dembele

Full back cover if they can play both sides bonus.   ( Brandon Williams I still think he could do something! )

A creative Midfield similar mould to Tadic to link up the attack.   ( Not sure who...... ) 

If we shift some of the dead wood then I would get in another Centre Back with a emphasis on height and strength similar to Bella 

Anything else would be a bonus but that's what I would do. 

Edited by ally_uk

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I Still want to see the following: 

A Big Target man Striker capable of getting on the end of Set pieces....  We need to go big record signing! ( Saša Kalajdžić, Dembele

Full back cover if they can play both sides bonus.   ( Brandon Williams I still think he could do something! )

A creative Midfield similar mould to Tadic to link up the attack.   ( Not sure who...... ) 

If we shift some of the dead wood then I would get in another Centre Back with a emphasis on height and strength similar to Bella 

Anything else would be a bonus but that's what I would do. 

We can all dream we  live in wonderland; the present Board/Owners are facing reality pretty well

3 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Yes, consistently bad.

Also a little bizarre to blame his shortcomings on Salisu.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I'd say that Bednarek makes Salisu's game worse, as Salisu is pulled all over the place trying to cover.

He's not a truly hideous CB like Hoedt, but you cannot get away from the cold hard facts - we have had one of the worst defences in the league, consistently, when he's been a part of it.

He ball watches, he gets caught on the ball, has no physicality and is out muscled way too easily. No pace either. Not a great advert for a PL CB.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Where’s MLG lately ? So unlike him not to be asking why to so many obvious posts.

He made a prat of himself yet again by starting a James Garner transfer thread which then got locked by the mods. MLG has been hiding/sulking since, though a quick check shows he’s still logging on, he’s just a bit too moody or embarrassed to post at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A hunch. Nothing more.

From what we’ve seen so far this season he’s more keen to bolster the midfield so maybe one up top is going to be this seasons tactic. 
Creativity is what we need.

I agree we need creativity. Aribo is certainly going to help in that sense, as will Mara but obviously as a frontman. 

We need a striker who will be first choice. 

I'm an optimistic man and so I'm hoping for Ramos, Maduake, Garner, Holding and a LB!!