Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

15 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Where’s MLG lately ? So unlike him not to be asking why to so many obvious posts.

Probably at an all-inclusive hotel buffet somewhere in the Balearics pointing out to the maître d' that the smoked salmon shouldn't be kept next to the chicken goujons.

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 18

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I agree we need creativity. Aribo is certainly going to help in that sense, as will Mara but obviously as a frontman. 

We need a striker who will be first choice. 

I'm an optimistic man and so I'm hoping for Ramos, Maduake, Garner, Holding and a LB!!

Would like to see some height up front, so Kalajdzic or the Danish lad, Hjolund, mentioned yesterday. 

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Probably at an all-inclusive hotel buffet somewhere in the Balearics pointing out to the maître d' that the smoked salmon shouldn't be kept next to the chicken goujons.

Is that a Saga holiday?

• Haha 6

40 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He made a prat of himself yet again by starting a James Garner transfer thread which then got locked by the mods. MLG has been hiding/sulking since, though a quick check shows he’s still logging on, he’s just a bit too moody or embarrassed to post at the moment.

I hope you're right and it is just hiding/sulking, because the alternative is that the fella's genuinely upset about the whole forum piling onto him. Yeah, of course he brings it on himself, but at the same time not everyone's emotionally equipped to deal with being called out and mocked by strangers. As much as the guy drives me spare, I'd hate for something awful to happen. No doubt the forum's been a more pleasant place, however! 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He made a prat of himself yet again by starting a James Garner transfer thread which then got locked by the mods. MLG has been hiding/sulking since, though a quick check shows he’s still logging on, he’s just a bit too moody or embarrassed to post at the moment.

Hope he gets back posting before too long. I quite enjoy what he brings.

It's an internet forum: we're meant to have differences of opinion and debate. The world's to damn boring without alternative thinking.

Come back MLG! Tell us what you thought of the Leicester win.

(And just ignore the twats!)

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

Would like to see some height up front, so Kalajdzic or the Danish lad, Hjolund, mentioned yesterday. 

I don’t think we need height, Kalajdzic isn’t what we need. We play with pace and getting in behind and counter attacking; he is the opposite of all of that.

Che Adams may not be Haaland, but he does a lot more for the team than people realise. I’ve said that for a while.

Chuck in someone who adds the creativity and it might allow him to score a few more goals. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Hope he gets back posting before too long. I quite enjoy what he brings.

It's an internet forum: we're meant to have differences of opinion and debate. The world's to damn boring without alternative thinking.

Come back MLG! Tell us what you thought of the Leicester win.

(And just ignore the twats!)

DT has gone quiet too.
Guessing it’s the bubble bursting for him on his predictions for every important player to leave Saints this summer. 🤣

BUT most importantly:

You look at the celebrations, the social media etc from last week and this week, you look at the interaction the players have with each other - that doesn’t scream of a player leaving anytime soon. 
It shows a form of bond, friendship, teammates etc, they’re pulling in the same direction!
This should be very very encouraging for us fans. 👍🏻

If we add a couple more players into that squad that can slide in with the same mentality this could be a very exciting season!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t think we need height, Kalajdzic isn’t what we need. We play with pace and getting in behind and counter attacking; he is the opposite of all of that.

Che Adams may not be Haaland, but he does a lot more for the team than people realise. I’ve said that for a while.

Chuck in someone who adds the creativity and it might allow him to score a few more goals. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You may be disappointed - from the striker links we've had they all seem to be big lads and one of the things Shields pays particular attention to is the physicality of the player.  No coincidence that pretty much all our signings have been on the larger side (except Lavia).  Personally I like the idea of having a bit of a presence up front - Pelle added a completely different option for us and doesn't feel like we've ever really replaced that. 

Depends how we play but we don't really play counter attacking most of the time - we press and condense play to the extent that pace isn't really a deciding factor most of the time because there's not much space to run into.  How many times have we utilised Adam Armstrong's pace?  Yeah, I know he ain't great but we've never made much of an attempt to utilise his pace.

Agree with needing creativity though - ideal world we'll have both a new striker and another number 10/winger.

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

DT has gone quiet too.
Guessing it’s the bubble bursting for him on his predictions for every important player to leave Saints this summer. 🤣

BUT most importantly:

You look at the celebrations, the social media etc from last week and this week, you look at the interaction the players have with each other - that doesn’t scream of a player leaving anytime soon. 
It shows a form of bond, friendship, teammates etc, they’re pulling in the same direction!
This should be very very encouraging for us fans. 👍🏻

If we add a couple more players into that squad that can slide in with the same mentality this could be a very exciting season!

Twat

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Disagree I think height up top would be great as a different outlet besides we have one of the best set piece takers in the league surely it makes sense to get somebody in who can get on the end of things......

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Disagree I think height up top would be great as a different outlet besides we have one of the best set piece takers in the league surely it makes sense to get somebody in who can get on the end of things......

Especially if JWP makes these crosses one of his new trademarks. He tried one earlier in the match against Leicester, but A. Armstrong was the target, so it wasn't as successful.

Still think Ramos is the type of striker that would suit us, but we do need another striker. The problem for Ralph is, who would he drop now Che is starting to look like a proper PL striker? As far as I can tell Ramos could play a little further back in support of Che so providing options, hence why I think he’s a good choice. If that’s the case then I don’t think we need another AM and the next priority would be full-back cover…perhaps a loan to buy or straight buy.

Belotti still on a free which I can't believe as sort of striker we need, give him a nice 3 year deal and get him in! (won't happen I know).

Still think any signings we make from here to the end of the window will come out the blue, and won't be names mentioned already.

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Still think Ramos is the type of striker that would suit us, but we do need another striker. The problem for Ralph is, who would he drop now Che is starting to look like a proper PL striker? As far as I can tell Ramos could play a little further back in support of Che so providing options, hence why I think he’s a good choice. If that’s the case then I don’t think we need another AM and the next priority would be full-back cover…perhaps a loan to buy or straight buy.

Someone like broja would be the ideal for me,,  explosive and can get past defenders would be nice to have someone who can make their own goals in the team.

adams second goal looked great in the acrobatic way he took it but both chances were put on a plate really 

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Someone like broja would be the ideal for me,,  explosive and can get past defenders would be nice to have someone who can make their own goals in the team.

adams second goal looked great in the acrobatic way he took it but both chances were put on a plate really 

That second goal was most certainly not put on plate, still had plenty of work to do to finish that.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

That second goal was most certainly not put on plate, still had plenty of work to do to finish that.

Exactly this. Very hard skill, and a lot of top and side spin to deal with from JWP’s cross too. Plus difficult height. Great goal. Hardest plate ever. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DT said:

Exactly this. Very hard skill, and a lot of top and side spin to deal with from JWP’s cross too. Plus difficult height. Great goal. Hardest plate ever. 

If there’s one line that will make MLT come out of his hiding today it’s that one - “Hardest plate ever”. So much wrong with that sentence 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I thought it was a perfect ball in from jwp myself .. it was entirely into Adams area evading all defenders. He could have probably finished it in other ways but props for the way he did 

10 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

If we shed Bednarek and no c*nt else comes in until next summer, I'll be happy.

I wouldn't say I'd be happy with that, particularly if Stephens leaves but I'd be content and maybe as Saints fans, that's all we can ask for.

• Like 2

Very easy to get carried away after a win but there's still just under 2 weeks left, and we definitely need a striker, a pacey winger and (assuming Bednarak/Stephens leave) another CB, and probably full-back cover too. Will we get 4, I'm not so sure, but striker is still #1 priority for me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, saints-cris said:

Very easy to get carried away after a win but there's still just under 2 weeks left, and we definitely need a striker, a pacey winger and (assuming Bednarak/Stephens leave) another CB, and probably full-back cover too. Will we get 4, I'm not so sure, but striker is still #1 priority for me.

I agree, especially when you see how strong teams are around us. I would like to think we’re close to a deal or two by now

27 minutes ago, saints-cris said:

Wonder how much of our anticipated spend in the next couppe of weeks was based on bringing in £20m or so for Adams?

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Wonder how much of our anticipated spend in the next couppe of weeks was based on bringing in £20m or so for Adams?

We were offering £23m+ for delap without selling anyone. I think we have the money for a striker set aside. Also we were after Coady without shifting a CB. 

I think it's more about finding the right player who fits what we need.

• Like 3

I do find it odd that Che Adams is suddenly the best thing since sliced bread. Apparently we cannot and must not sell him at any price. In fact, he's played well for a while against Leeds and half an hour against Leicester. Credit where it's due, he did turn both games though. 

But, this is his pattern. He has a few good games then disappears for long periods. Frustrating because you can see he is capable. Hence he only scores 6 or 8 a season. If he played like this every week then of course he would be indispensable. 

But he doesn't. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

I do find it odd that Che Adams is suddenly the best thing since sliced bread. Apparently we cannot and must not sell him at any price. In fact, he's played well for a while against Leeds and half an hour against Leicester. Credit where it's due, he did turn both games though. 

But, this is his pattern. He has a few good games then disappears for long periods. Frustrating because you can see he is capable. Hence he only scores 6 or 8 a season. If he played like this every week then of course he would be indispensable. 

But he doesn't. 

He does play like this every game, he just doesn’t always get goals

FWIW I loved his display as much because he affects and changed the game with his hold up as much as he did with his goals

Thats the difference 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

But he doesn't. 

The big difference I saw in the Leicester game particularly was his movement to get into a goal scoring position - his two goals were largely dependent on that and I can’t remember better examples where he’s been so effective in that way since he joined us. It is definitely the difference for him at this level and as important as being able to dribble Broja-like in presenting goal scoring opportunities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Think you are being harsh on his finishing skills, for which he generally gets a lot of stick.  As others have said, the second goal is a thing of beauty and not on a plate, the ball is actually behind him and he has to reach round to volley.  But also the first one, it's a great piece of anticipation and spin while the throw-in is on its way.  Then he has to hit it first time through a crowded six yard box.  It's hit accurately and hard enough to beat the keeper and be too much for the defender on the line to adjust to clearing it.

• Like 1

His instinctive first time finishes are his strength, when hes had a little more time to think about it then his composure let’s him down. I also think his movement could be better at times, sometimes he’s coming too deep or looking to get involved in play when he should be on the end of things in the box. 

Depends on what we want from him, if he’s to be that main man then maybe we lose some of that link play and hold up play, he might hit a few more goals but maybe the team suffers. 

That is where I think Ramos looks like he could be a key player because he seems more a work the box striker, throwing himself into crosses and getting in the end of pull backs. 

It’s also clear that JWP drifting out wide, full back drops it back for a first time cross is a strength of ours so having a striker who attacks these sorts of balls aggressively will make the most of those deliveries. Again Ramos seems to be the player who could suit that, quite a few of his YouTube highlights are him attacking crosses at the back post. 

Kind of hopeful the deal for him is done but we agreed to let him help Benfica qualify for the champs league before he moves. 

32 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Think you are being harsh on his finishing skills, for which he generally gets a lot of stick.  As others have said, the second goal is a thing of beauty and not on a plate, the ball is actually behind him and he has to reach round to volley.  But also the first one, it's a great piece of anticipation and spin while the throw-in is on its way.  Then he has to hit it first time through a crowded six yard box.  It's hit accurately and hard enough to beat the keeper and be too much for the defender on the line to adjust to clearing it.

Imo, based on what I’ve seen over the past 3 or so years, he’s a much better finisher when he doesn’t have time to think about it. I.e the second one. 

He’s always had chances, but never had the composure or finishing ability to turn 8-10 goals into 15-20. 

That being said, his build up play is a million miles better than anyone else we have. If we’re relying on him to play as a lone striker and score enough goals for us to stay up, I think we’ll struggle. In a 2 he absolutely has to play based on current form. 

If we persist with a lone striker, I think we need to improve, if I’m honest. 

OK some good points about Che. However, he is still only going to get you around 8 goals a season. Unless something changes dramatically from the last few seasons. 

I guess the answer is to keep him and play someone else off him. I was happy we signed Adam Armstrong but frankly it hasn't worked at all. We have Che scoring lets' say 9 and AA scoring 2 per season. That simply is not enough. Che offers more all round game too. So maybe the harsh truth is that we replace AA with more of a poacher. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He does play like this every game, he just doesn’t always get goals

FWIW I loved his display as much because he affects and changed the game with his hold up as much as he did with his goals

Thats the difference 

Was the difference also that he’s been essentially dropped  from the starting 11 this season and there is much talk of him being unloaded to other clubs? 
Those “ other” clubs were undoubtedly watching him on Saturday and he certainly gave them two good reasons to believe he’s worth an investment. 
It is not unknown for a player, once it’s clear he’s playing for his future career and the financial future of himself and family, to go full concentrate mode and do the biz. It often happens at contract renewal time. 
I am NOT saying that is what happened Saturday as do not wish to impugne his character and Fwiw I think Che is a good epl forward - but it is a possibility and cannot be ruled out as a contributory factor to his superb impact from the bench.
If Ralph / coaching team/Che have tuned into that as a motivator then well done all round. Saints need to score and win however we can and with whatever on or off field support we can mobilise. This is a facet of modern football but it’s been around for decades..

Edited by gio1saints

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Linked to Aarons again on twitter

Not sure what to make of it, he is a fantastic young RB… but if we bring him in then we will have 3 first 11 RBs under 25 on the books

Could work if we see KWPs long term future here as a LB maybe ? Otherwise Im not sure about it

KWP and Perraud to compete for LB slot, Aarons to be first choice RB until Tino is fit.

Works for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its almost as if most people in the game realise he isn’t as bad as is made out on here isn’t it

Some said the same about Vesty going to Leicester last summer. He turned out to be a disaster for them, as most of us expected.

• Like 1

If we could get Aarons for £10m that’s a good deal but realistically I think it would be double that.

Bednarek I couldn’t care less where he goes, just as long as it’s permanent.

With the strikers I’d only bring one in if we’re looking to play two up top. Judging by selections in pre-season and so far in the league we seem to be playing a lone striker
In which case I’d rather see that money invested in a wide player with pace.

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Some said the same about Vesty going to Leicester last summer. He turned out to be a disaster for them, as most of us expected.

I never said it about Vestergaard, he was a terrible CB that covers his inadequacy because he is very good on both feet

We robbed Leicester for Vestergaard for 15m

Bednarek isn’t a terrible defender, nobody got out of the end of last year with any credit but Bednarek was the scapegoat despite the fact tactically we were suicidal 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

KWP and Perraud to compete for LB slot, Aarons to be first choice RB until Tino is fit.

Works for me.

Could keep Aron’s RB when Tino’s fit and push Tino further forward. Assuming we’re sticking with 4 at the back he could be the right sided No 10 in a 4222 or the wide right player in a 4231. Think he has the attributes to turn into the pacey wide player we’re after. Same way Bale progressed (though not saying he’ll turn out as good!). 
All depends on how he returns from the bad injury though. Oh, and if we’re actually interested in Aarons of course!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I never said it about Vestergaard, he was a terrible CB that covers his inadequacy because he is very good on both feet

Bednarek isn’t a terrible defender, nobody got out of the end of last year with any credit but Bednarek was the scapegoat despite the fact tactically we were suicidal 

Bednarek is woeful his postioning wen under pressure from Strikers is terrible.

Always gets to tight and gets turned around every time with a ball over the top or between the lines .. good defenders no wen to drop off or push up.. he does neither … ! Decent in the air but not good enough for wot we want .. 

plus the cup game vs city.. one word !

bye !

20 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Bednarek’s been terrible since the United 9-0, nothing to do with last season at all

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Bednarek’s been terrible since the United 9-0, nothing to do with last season at all

Before that, Jan was covering RB when KWP got injured where the club didn’t fund full back cover in the Gao era (had to play Valery and Vokins at fullbacks v Arsenal). Not a good position for him and remember him having some tough games eg Everton away where he got targeted. Never as confident since despite some good individual performances. Looked solid before at as a CB and decent with Salisu early part of last season before Romeu started to decline in screening them. Could revive his fortunes at a new club as long as he is played alongside a more mobile partner. Has been at SFC since 2017 and under three different managers. Body language hasn’t looked happy for a while eg reaction to Leeds substitution, Watford home and City in the Cup so time to move on.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Could keep Aron’s RB when Tino’s fit and push Tino further forward. Assuming we’re sticking with 4 at the back he could be the right sided No 10 in a 4222 or the wide right player in a 4231. Think he has the attributes to turn into the pacey wide player we’re after. Same way Bale progressed (though not saying he’ll turn out as good!). 
All depends on how he returns from the bad injury though. Oh, and if we’re actually interested in Aarons of course!

Actually I reckon KWP would be better suited to a wide right midfielder role.

He looked good in a cameo performance pre season at SMS when Valery played right back, and actually did very well.