Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

51 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Well £45m for a bang average midfielder with one years experience in a lower division is quite funny.

I would never wish financial oblivion to anyone but I do hope more and more for Forest to go down this season with the point being that cobbling together a group of average people with little motivation other than self-financial gain won't work. REF - See Fulham 2019.

I'm not sure I agree with any of that. He's not £45m. He's not average.

They haven't been cobbled together, its called scouting.

Why are the signings all just financially motivated? 

Take Lingard. He has a one year deal. There's a world cup coming up. If he doesn't perform he does go to the world cup and the next contract is going to be worse not better than the current one. Pretty good motivation to play well. 

Whats so average about Henderson? He was outstanding on loan at Sheffield. Again, he wants to impress to show United what they could have had. He is pretty annoyed with them. Excellent motivation.

Do you know anything about the other signings? Why is Williams or Richards or Toffolo or O'Brien any different to the Aribo signing? Is Aribo not financially motivated? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Take Lingard. He has a one year deal. There's a world cup coming up. If he doesn't perform he does go to the world cup and the next contract is going to be worse not better than the current one. Pretty good motivation to play well. 

Whats so average about Henderson? He was outstanding on loan at Sheffield. Again, he wants to impress to show United what they could have had. He is pretty annoyed with them. Excellent motivation.

Do you know anything about the other signings? Why is Williams or Richards or Toffolo or O'Brien any different to the Aribo signing? Is Aribo not financially motivated? 

Agree. Also, if there’s a manager to get them all working, Cooper is it, you’d think. 

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

In theory that's how it should work but it just doesn't

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

#FullSaintsy?

image.thumb.png.86c96f6125387ea1533a80adb0d35a62.png

One of the names suggested a few days back. He ticks the boxes we were looking for - a CB with PL experience.

The added bonus with Chalobah is that he can also play full back if required. He'll have links to Crooker from his time with the England youth teams over the previous years.

1 minute ago, Doctoroncall said:

Yes, around seven players left. 

I guess when promoted, they have to signed 12+ players.  May as well go for better quality.  Fair play to them.

Neco Williams for example was derided on here when he signed (we were loosely linked).  He looked very good the other day, so be interesting if they pull it off

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Didn't Forest lose a massive chunk of their team after winning promotion?

Yep, they had 7 loans and then another 4 or so players out of contract. Then they sold a couple as well.

My feeling is that they've come up a little too soon, the club recogniuse that, so they're throwing everything at it to raise the standard. It's a risk though without a doubt.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dusic said:

Regarding Ramos, never feel like the Portuguese sides are easy to deal with, and assuming they make the CL why would a.) They sell him and b.) He be interested in a relegation-threatened PL side? Not confident something like that will come to fruition, especially given competition.

scrooge mcduck pool GIF  scrooge mcduck GIF

3 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

1 hour ago, Chez said:

They played them four times last season. He took them apart in the second play off leg. They have very first hand experience of his ability. Best player on the pitch. Why would you not want to sign him if he is better than all your own players?

I felt the same about Zaha when we played Palace in the Championship all those years back. Head and shoulders the best player, and we basically played two players on him to negate him. The prices were different, he went for £15m to united, but its relative. If you see talent, you have to back your eye. I think we tried to signing him but just didn't have the funds.

In the end he's cost them £25m. Which is standard for the best Championship players these days. The extra £7-10m will depend on him being successful in the Prem and the stuff on top will be about Forest making Europe/him winning stuff. 

He also played for Cooper at England 

The owner is backing the manager, and after the excellent job he did last season, he's probably earned it. Cooper knows the player, and clearly wants him rather than another player he could potentially get for £25m + addons. And if those addons are paid, its a sign that the player has done a good job.

You can argue if they really need MGW, but thats another story.

Gibbs-White was part of the England U17s team that Steve Cooper was in charge of, and then Cooper had him on loan at Swansea, so he clearly rates him.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

JWP will be here for life. 

I said it at the end of last season and will continue to say it now. I think we’ve got a guy that has pride and loyalty and wouldn’t sell out for a few extra quid in his wallet.

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Lol. He will go next year and good luck to him. 

5 hours ago, Pilchards said:

100% yes he will go.

Would of gone this year if a champions league club came calling.

Why next season? because he wants to set himself up for life plus he knows the club won’t stand in his way if they get a sensible offer.

5 hours ago, DT said:

Cut out and keep folks

quoted them all so - next year we can see if the pessimists or the optimist is right

:toppa:

4 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

.... and not a whole lot less than Haaland cost. Madness.

not really though is it 🤷‍♂️

he had a release clause, if he didnt it would have been a lot more and the reason for that release clause - ah his agent who pocketed £26 (which is more than 10%) and his dad got paid £17m

£96m is quite a sum no?

FVWptUgX0AAljjm?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

With Rice and Bellingham likely on the move next summer, I'd be utterly shocked if any champions league club signed JWP this or next summer.

thus 👍

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

35 years old but if he's still get his legs, you'd think Verthongen offers exactly the sort of experience and command we need in our back line? Still the vice cap for the Belgium national team I think?

7 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

JWP will be here for life. 

I said it at the end of last season and will continue to say it now. I think we’ve got a guy that has pride and loyalty and wouldn’t sell out for a few extra quid in his wallet.

Well at some point I think JWP and the club, may decide it is in their mutual best interest, if the right offer comes along. This may well be influenced one way or the other by JWP being selected for England's WC squad and the teams performance at the WC. Am following JWP's career decisions closely because  if\when JWP leaves the club then I will retire from working or I reach retirement age whichever happens first.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

35 years old but if he's still get his legs, you'd think Verthongen offers exactly the sort of experience and command we need in our back line? Still the vice cap for the Belgium national team I think?

Well, he could also provide very useful LB cover if we’re playing a 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2, I would say.

Think he would be a potentially excellent signing. I would sign him just for his shithousery personally.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Well, he could also provide very useful LB cover if we’re playing a 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2, I would say.

Think he would be a potentially excellent signing. I would sign him just for his shithousery personally.

35 year CB to play at left back. I'll pass. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pat from Poole said:

Scott Minto was commentating on the Benfica game  last night. He’s an ex player of theirs and does a lot of Portuguese games. Anyway he reckons Vertongen is shot now. Also thinks Ramos needs another season before moving.

5 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

And if betting companies are no longer allowed to sponsor football teams, maybe we can cut a deal with Kleenex?

If we sign a top notch striker we're going to be needing a lot of Kleenex... 💦 🍆

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

From what I saw at the end of his time at THFC, legs had gone, sadly, but at CB that is not quite such an impediment as it is at say CF. Witness career trajectory of Jose Fonte and Charlie Austin since leaving Saints and unknown to me Austin is 5 years younger!